HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Mar 31, 2005, 6:52 AM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
My only beef with these downtown residential developments is that one, they're too short, and two, they don't fit into the surrounding urban fabric.

Basically I figure that in a town this crushed for space, with as many people wanting to live downtown as we've got, it's a waste of space to build some piddly little 50-unit project here, and another piddly 50-unit project there. We need some major projects in buildings bigger than the squat little 7-stories we're getting.

That, and the buildings we're getting do not fit in with anything anywhere nearby. They do not in any way respect the city they're being built in. Most of these buildings would look more at home in Charlotte or some other more contemporary place. They're just eyesores here though.

All in all, I'm glad some of what we're getting is targetted toward the people already living here instead of rich out-of-towners who want to live here. One of the articles above said it nicely -- housing prices are higher than elsewhere in the state and wages are lower. Living and working here, you start out at a 15% disadvantage between the two of them. We need more affordable housing, but we need it in tall buildings with an eye toward what's already here.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Apr 1, 2005, 12:01 AM
Fourth and Main

Are you talking about 12 South Lexington? Here is a rendering from the architects of the 7-storey 12 South Lexington (Camille-Alberice). It's ok, but it could be much better. This could be one of those buildings where the completed structure looks better than the renderings?

I totally agree that we need to build up! These are an example of bad land-use, since the demand is so high. Then again, like I've said before, we have an unofficial NIMBY height limit of 7-stories. I think a lot of developers are afriad to cross that height? Since those buildings are the same size as the existing structures around them, they seem more out-of-place. I think a taller structure in a more contemporary style would fit better than these low-rises. Still, I welcome any new buildings with 6+ floors! I think Asheville could get a new tallest (25 stories), all condos and ground floor retail. I think something Post-Modern, with a nice crown would look great as a signature tower.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2005, 1:57 AM
A gruff individual.

Wss I referring to 12 South Lexington when I posted about Lexington Station? No, that's a new project going up a little farther south. According to the article, it will consist of three, 3-story mixed-use buildings.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Apr 2, 2005, 3:54 PM
A gruff individual.

From the Asheville Citizen-Times (04/02/05)

Little remains of Asheville's Civil War legacy
By Rob Neufeld

From elementary school onward, students learn to pay heed to history. Yet, civic commemorations sometimes run up against a barricade of latter-day sensibilities.

The 140th anniversary of the Battle of Asheville, a small but remarkably representative episode, has found little ground to stand on as it stages its re-enactments and salutes today.

Charles Frazier's "Cold Mountain" has shown that the Civil War in the Southern mountains resonates with people. Nonetheless, standard books on Civil War sites in the South don't come any closer to Asheville than Chickamauga and Fort Bragg. This is despite the fact that many leaders considered Western North Carolina the last stand.

What's left of Civil War Asheville? Very little.

Camps Jeter and Patton are gone without a trace, as are the Enfield Rifle factory, the fife and drum factory and Battery Hill. Confederate rifle pits used in the Battle of Asheville west of Broadway lie on a private lot; the Union earthworks are within UNC Asheville's Botanical Gardens on the east side.

Hence, the commemoration committee gained the approval of the university to use its property to honor Confederate and Union ancestors with "living history," including, it was hoped, musket fire and cannon shots. As it turns out, the event will be significant, in part, for its lack of gunfire and for the precedence of city regulations and pastoralism.

Gardens and guns, in the historical mind, are not unrelated. Wartime and peacetime tragically feed each other, and soldiers yearn for the simple life.

Jim Coman, a N.C. 25th Infantry re- enactor, recalls, as a boy, watching one relative save a great-greatgrandfather's Civil War letters from the burn pile. "I hope this letter finds you well and feeling well," William Franklin Hall's letter from a hospital had begun. He recovered to die fighting in the Battle of Chickamauga.

Another ancestor, William Marion Wright, volunteered for the N.C. 25th and was one of very few of that fearsome regiment to survive uninjured. Coman's mother knew him well, for at an advanced age he regularly hiked from Big Cove to visit her.

Peter Lorenz, living-history expert and military coordinator for the event, reveres history for the way it provides insights that shatter prejudices. "My focus," he says, "has been on the people who had made history, individuals like ourselves with hopes and wishes. We put that into the context of a certain time and place, and it takes on a life."

A favorite family photo shows 10-year-old Lorenz dressed in a Sears-bought Confederate uniform re-enacting an unlikely battle with his brother, protected by a World War II helmet. Today, Lorenz is as wide-ranging in his temporal preferences but meticulous about keeping them distinct.

Lorenz's great-great-great-uncle, Wylie West, was captured along with Lorenz's thrice-great grandfather at the Battle of Fort Fisher in 1865. He was a nonslave-owning farmer when he was drafted. He was 42. Asked to list his profession, he had jotted "student."

---

I say... well, this is a bummer. We're no Charleston or Savannah, but we're still one of the best preserved cities in the country, and to learn that we've wiped out most of our Civil War heritage? Upsetting.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2005, 8:32 PM
Fourth and Main

When you made these statements:

Quote:
they're too short, and two, they don't fit into the surrounding urban fabric.

it's a waste of space to build some piddly little 50-unit project here, and another piddly 50-unit project there. We need some major projects in buildings bigger than the squat little 7-stories we're getting.

That, and the buildings we're getting do not fit in with anything anywhere nearby. They do not in any way respect the city they're being built in. Most of these buildings would look more at home in Charlotte or some other more contemporary place. They're just eyesores here though.
I thought you were talking about 12 South Lexington. I was home over Easter, but didn't go into the city. The rendering does bother me. It looks like it will use concrete blocks? I want to be wrong on this. Any form of exposed concrete on this building is a bad idea. This also looks like some of the low-rise condos going-up in Charlotte.

Very little is actually said about Asheville's Civil War history. Even in school, (Henderson County Schools) they don't say much. The local sites they focus on are in Gaston County and Upstate South Carolina.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2005, 8:31 PM
A gruff individual.

From the Asheville Citizen-Times (04/09/05)

What brand for Asheville?
By Dale Neal
STAFF WRITER

ASHEVILLE - Doug Schuster has lived in Asheville for the past 11 years, but for his latest project, he spent eight days trying to see Asheville through a visitor's eyes.

Schuster is president of Parallax International, a marketing strategy firm hired by the Buncombe County Tourism Development Authority to help brand Asheville and Buncombe County as a destination for visitors and even people and businesses wanting to relocate here.

On Friday, Schuster briefed some members of the TDA board and other tourism officials on his findings. Schuster explained he wasn't trying to come up with the city's next tourism campaign slogan but was trying to point the board toward broader definitions of Asheville as place to visit.

Asheville is many things to many visitors, from the Biltmore Estate to mountain biking, from traditional crafts to modern art, fine restaurants and hotels, scenic beauty and much more, Schuster discovered in his personal research and other market studies.

"We need to quit trying to describe the place and try to describe the experiential and emotional benefit," Schuster said.

Asheville may have one of the oldest tourism slogans around with "Land of Sky" dating from 1876, but that name no longer adequately describes the vibrancy of downtown Asheville and the increased attention on arts and culture.

Asheville may be able to position itself as a place for personal enrichment and not just for scenic beauty, Schuster suggested.

Some tourism leaders at the meeting liked the idea. John Winkenwerder, managing general partner of the Hampton Inns of Asheville, said it was reminiscent of the 1980s slogan "Asheville Will Lift Your Spirit," which may have been ahead of its time.

Kelly Miller, executive director of the Asheville Visitors and Convention Bureau of the Asheville Area Chamber of Commerce, said, "research shows that in the 1980s and 1990s, people collected things. Now they're more likely to collect memories and experiences. They're asking 'Where can I go to enrich my life?'"

Schuster will continue his branding research and report back to the TDA board at the end of the month.

The TDA will spend about $75,000 on developing a branding strategy before actually developing any new ad campaigns to attract tourists, said Marla Tambellini, director of marketing for the visitors and convention bureau.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2005, 7:46 PM
A gruff individual.

Fromt he Asheville Citizen-Times (04/10/05)

On the Horizon: Projects slated for WNC
By John Boyle
SENIOR WRITER

Too often communities simply respond to economic trends, trying to jump on a ship that’s already sailed. But now a group of movers and shakers have committed themselves to getting away from this “reactive economic development” pitfall.

Dan Keith Ray, president and senior fellow at the Institute at Biltmore, which is facilitating the new effort, says too often those interested in economic development look at the individual pieces of the puzzle rather than the overall picture it creates. The economic paradigm that sustained the region for years — cheap land, plentiful low-wage labor and lots of manufacturing — has changed, and that means it’s time to take another look at big projects in the works.

“We’re going to have to compete on the assets we have in place,” Ray said.

With that in mind, the institute has gathered together a list of all ongoing major projects in the area, with an eye toward looking at ways the different companies proposing them could work together, reduce costs or create clusters of development.

The institute will concentrate on three primary industries where the Asheville area already has built-in advantages:

• Technology and tech-driven businesses: With an extensive broadband system already in place and a push to upgrade it under way, the area is poised for growth. The location of the National Climatic Data Center in Asheville is a natural base to build on.

• Rejuvenation: This includes health, fitness, spa and vacation businesses and has been a draw since the 1800s. It makes sense to take advantage of this reputation.

• Design: The idea is to capitalize on Asheville’s well-known reputation as an arts and crafts mecca.

Eagle/Market Streets
Vision

Revitalization of Asheville’s historic African-American business district. Redevelopment plans proposed along Eagle and Market Streets include rehabilitation and demolition of buildings, adding parking spaces, new businesses, restaurants and entertainment areas, as well as new residential housing.

Resources

$3.8 million, mostly in private investment

Downtown Asheville
Vision

City development concentrates on urban mixed-use districts such as downtown Asheville and the Haywood Road corridor to assist revitalization activities through planning, facilitation of infrastructure, design review and other services. Major current projects: Haywood Street parking garage; Gateway Corridor Study; streetscape planning.

Resources

$21 million in taxpayers’ money for Haywood Street parking garage

Asheville Planning Department
Vision

Projects include:

Pack Square Renaissance – a $12.5 million private sector revitalization of the public space. Construction expected to begin mid-2005

Grove Park Inn Phase II – Mixed use development for large-scale redevelopment of publicly-owned land adjacent to Pack Square. May begin as early as fall 2005. Estimated cost is $225 million.

Brevard Road Zoning Study – Brevard Road from I-40 south to the N.C. Arboretum is set to change significantly. City Council has authorized a zoning study of the corridor. Staff will present some ideas to property owners in spring 2005.

Greenway planning – Major focus of City Council’s Strategic Operating Plan. New development is creating opportunities: Riverbend MarketPlace; WECAN area; Broadway corridor, Biltmore Park.

Shiloh Neighborhood Plan – The Shiloh neighborhood has partnered with Neighborhood Housing Services and the city to develop a plan that will include opportunities to locate new residential development accommodating a range of incomes in Shiloh.

Gerber Urban Village – This former industrial site and potential Wal-Mart Supercenter site is being redeveloped as an urban village. Phases will include major residential component.

Riverbend MarketPlace – First phase of this redevelopment of the former Sayles Bleacheries site on Swannanoa River Road is nearly complete. Phase two is an urban village.

Biltmore Park Town Centre – Another south Asheville urban village project in the Biltmore Park development. First phase is finished and second phase has gotten preliminary approval from City Council.

Annexation program – The City of Asheville continues to annex properties on its edges.

I-26 Connector – A $200 million project linking Interstate 26 segments north and south of Asheville. Completion estimated 2012.

Haywood Road Corridor – The road has been undergoing tremendous transformation over the last four years, undertaken by the private sector and new, young business owners. The city has worked with business owners on banners, tree planting and other beautification efforts. It has also submitted a plan for restriping Haywood Road, adding pedestrian islands, on street parking. The city is waiting for state DOT approval.

River District
Vision

City Council has adopted the Wilma Dykeman Riverway Urban Waterfront Master Plan that provides for economic, environmental and recreational revitalization on the river area. New development and recent flood damage has opened the door for redevelopment. Staff will begin the public process of plan implementation this spring. The city has obtained $600,000 for the study.

West End/Clingman
Vision

The Citizens Master Plan represents a conceptual vision for the West End/Clingman community. Supporting a variety of simultaneous projects of large and small scales, based on harmonious architectural vision, sustainability of landscape, reverence for tradition, history and authenticity, the WECAN master plan was developed to serve as a guide for city staff, elected officials, residents.

Broadway Corridor
Vision

Revitalization of the Broadway Corridor will join downtown with UNC Asheville and reconnect two historic neighborhoods through mixed-use, transit and pedestrian-friendly infill buildings. Key features include transit-oriented development, greenway connected natural feature preservation, brownfield development, alternative stormwater system and recycled building materials.

Complementary Healthcare Center
Vision

To create a destination village of health incorporating holistic treatment, training, research, retail, hotel and recreation opportunities serving the health-conscious consumer.

Resources

$1.5 million for business plan

The Dogwood Project
Vision

Mission Hospitals’ expansion plan to add new operating rooms, new critical care units and monitored beds

Resources

$80 million

North Carolina Center for Creative Retirement at UNC Asheville
Vision

The long-range goal is to encourage the development of an age-integrated society. The center serves as a laboratory for exploring creative and productive roles for a new generation of retirement-aged people, many of whom blend education with post-retirement careers.

Mountain Area Health Education Center – N.C. Center for Health and Aging

A collaborative commitment to improve health.

Resources

$63 million: the N.C. General Assembly has appropriated $10 million in a collaboration among MAHEC, Western Carolina University, UNC Asheville, Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College and other regional health-related organizations.

The Health Adventure
Vision

The Health Adventure has acquired property that will enable the construction of a new facility (9 acres in historic Highland Park Community). A world-class interactive science museum and discovery park incorporating regional culture where all ages gather to explore life, health and the environment.

Resources

$12 million in private funding and $11 million in government funding.

Asheville Area Center for Performing Arts
Vision

To enhance the arts as part of the everyday lives of people in the greater Asheville area; to provide Asheville with a performance space commensurate with its artistic reputation; and to increase economic development by creating a facility that will attract residents, visitors and tourists.

Resources

$50 million to $80 million from public, private and non-profit sources

YMI Cultural Center
Vision

The center is a community-based non-profit that seeks to enhance the cultural and economic lives of residents of WNC, particularly minority and low-income residents, focusing on cultural arts, economic development and community education.

Asheville Civic Center
Vision

A 2002 report to Asheville City Council covered a range of issues, from renovations to new uses for the building. Key issues include finding funding sources and a lack of consensus about the various components of the center.

Resources

$90 million

The Grove Arcade

The mission of the Grove Arcade Public Market Foundation is to provide and manage a vibrant public market destination for WNC and its visitors in an historic setting. An initiative to create the Grove Arcade ArtSpace was recently announced and is planned to open in mid 2005.

Asheville Art Museum
Vision

To mount a major expansion while remaining in downtown Asheville, to best serve the needs of residents and tourists and local and region constituents with a signature building while preserving the historic Pack Library building, to be the centerpiece of cultural activity.

Resources

$12 million to $18 million from public, private and non-profit sectors.

RiverLink
Vision

RiverLink is a regional non-profit spearheading the economic development and revitalization of the French Broad River and its tributaries as a place to work, live and play and addressing water quality concerns to expand public opportunities for access and recreation.

Asheville Area Arts Council
Vision

Develop a membership drive, increase advocacy efforts, create more collaborative partnerships, become a community arts resource center, offer more gallery programming, provide space for community events, serve as a clearing house for arts activities and information

Old Posted Apr 10, 2005, 7:47 PM
A gruff individual.

Read that last article and tell me it's not exciting! The article came from a special section in the paper about economic development efforts here, and there are lots more fascinating things to read about there. Follow this link to read more! It's good stuff!

Last edited by hauntedheadnc; Apr 10, 2005 at 8:01 PM.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2005, 10:16 PM

^looks like lots going on.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2005, 10:59 PM
A gruff individual.

Definitely! I know a little more about a couple of the listed projects.

The Health Adventure -- This is Asheville's children's science museum, and when it moves to its new plot near the university, it will become considerably larger. At least two, and maybe three times the size it is now. A friend of mind has applied to run the nature center that will be connected to the new facility, which will feature a planetarium, among other things. The nature center to be located here will be, for all effects nad purposes, a zoo. I've seen what are supposed to be top secret renderings of the new building, and the look they're going for is that of an Eastern market bazaar.

The Asheville Art Museum -- Currently the art museum, Health Adventure, and Colburn Museum of Earth Sciences all share space at the Pack Place museum complex in downtown on Pack Square. The YMI Center is also technically a part of it, but it has its own building on Eagle Street. None of the museums in Pack Place have enough space to display more than a tiny fraction of their collections. The art museum, if it could put its entire collection out, would immediately be large enough to be considered a major art museum. Currently, less than 10% can be put on display at any one time. The situation is the same at the Colburn. My friend, during his interviews, was allowed access to the collections in storage, and came away dazzled at the treasures sitting in a warehouse for lack of space. I'm looking forward to the art museum and the Colburn getting the space they deserve and for Asheville, in turn, to get two museums it deserves.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2005, 5:09 AM
A gruff individual.

From the Asheville Citizen-Times (04/11/05)

Jubilee! plans ‘green’ building renovations
Church seeks more ‘Earth friendly’ gathering place

By Julie Ball
STAFF WRITER

ASHEVILLE — A downtown church will gut its building to make way for renovations that should make the structure more energy efficient and generally “greener.”

“Earth is a sacred place, and it’s our job to treat it as such,” said Howard Hanger, founder of Jubilee! Community. “We’ve decided it’s time to put our building where our mouth is, to make our building Earth friendly.”

The renovations at the Jubilee! building on Wall Street will cost an estimated $675,000 and will likely begin in late May or early June. The steps the church is taking are part of a growing trend in commercial and public buildings.

“I think there’s a lot of excitement,” said Ron Katz, a church member.

The church held a meeting last year to talk about the design.

“That’s where a lot of these ideas came from,” said member Paul Muller.

When complete, the space will incorporate more natural light and feature a heating and air conditioning system designed to run more efficiently.

George Stowe, the architect on the project, says the church is looking at an air-conditioning system with carbon dioxide sensors that help measure how many people are inside the building. The system then adjusts based on how many people are in the building.

Another feature of the renovation will be low-water fixtures in the bathrooms, and the church is looking to use materials “that both use less energy to manufacture and are not a problem for indoor air quality,” Stowe said.

“Our focus was to make it healthy, safe and environmentally friendly,” Muller said.

The changes should also help the church save money on utility costs.

While green building techniques and technology are still more common in residential buildings, they are starting to be used more in commercial and public buildings, according to Matt Siegel, green building coordinator for the Western North Carolina Green Building Council.

“It’s growing pretty quickly in this area,” Siegel said.

The U.S. Green Building Council has developed the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design rating system with standards for creating sustainable buildings.

The Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians plans to use those standards in the design of three new schools, according to Doyce Cannon, director of education for Cherokee Central Schools.

“Down the road, it will be a savings to the school and to the tribe,” Cannon said.

Another Asheville church, the First Congregational United Church of Christ, is also set to begin construction on a new church designed to be “as green a building as we can build for the price we’re trying to build it,” according to Michael Hester, co-chair of the church building committee.

The new building will include geothermal heating and solar-powered lighting in the parking lot.

Contact Ball at 232-5851 or jball@CITIZEN-TIMES.com.

On the Net: www.Jubileecommunity.org, www.wncgbc.org, www.usgbc.org

Old Posted Apr 14, 2005, 1:37 AM
A gruff individual.

From the Mountain X-Press (04/13/05)

A step back in time
Bank renovation recaptures the Roaring 20s

by Lisa Watters

What in the world were they thinking?

When Asheville Federal Savings and Loan Association (now Asheville Savings Bank) bought its current headquarters at 11 Church St. from First Union National Bank of North Carolina back in 1962, the new owners decided to give the building a whole new look.

The neoclassical structure Asheville Federal acquired was designed in 1922 by well-known architect Ronald Greene for the National Bank of Commerce. Greene's handiwork was actually a renovation and reconfiguration of two turn-of-the-century buildings that shared a common masonry wall. Both had brick façades fronting on Church Street, which Greene covered with a facing of artificial stone. (In the late 1940s, a third building was joined to the bank, creating an even larger space.)

But after waiting a few years for First Union to complete its new premises and actually move out, Asheville Federal commissioned a complete overhaul of the Church Street structure. As described by the Asheville Citizen at the time, the plans called for covering the existing façade with pink panels of porcelainized steel, covering up some of the windows, and replacing the rest with "direction glass [blocks] and thermopane." Interior changes included accenting the main floor with "a lay-in ceiling of fiberglass and aluminum framework with an interspersed arrangement of flush fluorescent lights" and replacing the original flooring with "a vinyl covering in a travertine Italian marble pattern," according to a Feb. 7, 1965, article titled "Asheville Federal Plans New Location."

To many people today, these alterations may seem little short of sacrilegious. But this was the '60s – a time when experimentation with new materials was rampant, and the more futuristic a building looked, the better. And for whatever reasons, the 1920s didn't seem quite as exotic as they do today. Indeed, "It all sparkles like new money," the Citizen proclaimed about the face-lift in another story later that same year.

Flash forward 37 years. By 2002, Asheville Savings Bank had outgrown the Church Street facility and had long since moved many of its administrative and support staff to other locations. But the building remained crowded and "chopped up in terms of access," Executive Vice President Steve Young explains, and something had to change.

Bank leaders considered razing the aging structure and building a new one in its place, or selling the property and moving to a new facility out of town. In the end, however, they decided to restore the current building to its 1920s glory and keep the main branch operations, the business-banking division and the executive offices downtown. Renovation of the downtown structure began in November of 2003 and was completed this February (the administrative and support staff were moved to Enka-Candler in 2003).

As bank President/CEO John B. Dickson puts it: "We are the oldest locally managed, independent financial institution in Asheville and an important part of the history of this town. ... Our roots are here, in this building and in the downtown area. It's where we belong."

The renovation was an expensive undertaking – costing approximately $3 million – but with the assistance of private consultant Sybil A. Bowers, the bank was able to secure the approval of the Historic Resources Commission of Asheville and Buncombe County, making the project eligible for historic-preservation tax credits.

And though old photographs showed "a nice neoclassical exterior," it wasn't until the 1960s panels were actually removed "that we knew that it was restorable – that there was enough of the old material there to really work with," lead architect John Murrell-Kisner of Fisher Architects explains. That "old material" included artificial stone blocks (originally provided by the Curry Concrete Manufacturing Company of Biltmore) at the front of the building and scored stucco toward the back (both stemming from the 1922 renovation) as well as the turn-of-the-century brick from the additional building that was integrated into the bank façade in the '40s.

But that doesn't mean it was all smooth sailing. "The job was challenging because of the variety of materials that needed to be restored," notes Ken Fussell of McCarroll Construction, the general contractor for the project. He gives particular credit to Carolina Waterproofing and Restoration (which redid the brick, the concrete façade and the cornice work) and to J.L. Wallen Inc. (which restored the exterior stucco). Liberty Wood Products custom-made the exterior framework at the main entrance.

The cornice work proved particularly problematic, because the original cornice had been knocked off to accommodate the 1960s panels, Murrell-Kisner explains. But the renovation team did have resources to guide them: historic photos as well as a reference book that was popular in the 1920s and '30s, The American Vignola: A Guide to the Making of Classical Architecture by William R. Ware. And though the new cornice had to be made of a lightweight composite material rather than the original concrete in order to satisfy the modern building code, it "is exactly what the original cornice would have looked like," says the architect.

During the restoration process, Murrell-Kisner found that Greene had used a blend of Doric and Tuscan (two of the five orders of classical architecture) in the 1922 project. The Tuscan order can be seen in the very solid walls and columns, while the more ornate entablature at the top of the building is Doric. "It's very unusual to see orders mixed like this," notes Murrell-Kisner. "But Ronald Greene was really one of the most sophisticated architects working around here, and to mix orders like that is something that not many architects would have attempted."

Greene also designed a number of other Asheville landmarks during the '20s, including Claxton Elementary School (which is similar in style to the Church Street structure), the Westall Building, the Jackson Building (Western North Carolina's first skyscraper), the Municipal Building and the Longchamps Apartments.

New windows were also fabricated to look like the 1922 originals – complete with intricate, X-shaped mullions – only this time around, they were made of aluminum instead of wood. The current renovation also re-established the dual character the building had after the 1922 makeover – Greene's neoclassical façade and the adjoining turn-of-the-century building, which once again has its own brick façade fronting Church Street and will be rented out to tenants.

Restoring the interior was even trickier, says Murrell-Kisner. There wasn't much left of the original, and they had no old photos to provide clues. There was a local man who remembered what the building had looked like when he was a child and his father had a law office there, and a newspaper description from the 1922 opening helped a little. But "we didn't know the old floor plan," the architect recalls.

Still, several original interior features were retained, such as the black-and-white mosaic tile in the basement and also in the ladies room. Visions Design Group, the interior-design firm for the project, used that black-and-white theme in redoing all the restrooms, explains company President B.J. Miller.

The ladies room may have been the first such facility in a downtown business other than a shop or restaurant. Up till then, notes Murrell-Kisner, women weren't expected to visit banks. If they did have to make a financial transaction, they usually sent a male relative or acquaintance on their behalf.

In describing the 1922 renovation, an Asheville Times article from Aug. 23 of that year notes, "There are two additional tellers' windows, facing on a separate enclosure, for the special use of ladies." A few paragraphs down, the article continues: "A ladies rest room is included, which represents the latest departure in service for bank customers. This rest room is completely furnished for the comfort of lady customers, with chairs and other furniture of old mahogany."

The team was able to restore one room – called the Board Room in the 1922 article – to its original state. "The [wood-beamed and gold-leaf-stenciled] ceiling of that room and about 75 percent of the walls were [about] the only things left intact from the old building that had gone through so many generations of renovations," Murrell-Kisner reports.

For the most part, however, the renovation team didn't try to re-create the actual physical layout of the 1920s structure. Because of the demands of modern mechanical systems and building codes – not to mention the very different needs of 21st-century banking – that just wasn't feasible. But the new interior does incorporate many features that pay homage to an earlier time, notes Murrell-Kisner: a vintage color scheme, lots of wood trim, scored plaster, wide-slat blinds on the windows, a rustic-looking wood floor, and period-appropriate light fixtures. There's also an elegant, concave teller area whose Tuscan columns echo the exterior.

But the architectural renovation isn't Asheville Savings' only step back in time, notes Young. Back in the day, the Board Room was offered to the public as a place to hold community meetings. And as a nod to its history, the restored space – renamed the Community Room – is once again made available to nonprofits and bank customers for such gatherings.

---

I tried to post the pictures included in this article, which showed how this bank building has evolved over time. However, it appears that you can't link to pics in X-Press articles. Therefore, to take a gander, follow this LINK !

Last edited by hauntedheadnc; Apr 14, 2005 at 1:46 AM.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2005, 7:20 AM
A gruff individual.

From the Asheville Citizen-Times (04/17/05)

Symphony for United Nations branch is another feather in cap for Asheville

New York; Berkeley, Calif.; Pompano Beach, Fla.; Asheville — four cities separated by many miles, but sharing just the right traits for a branch of the Symphony for United Nations (SUN) to call them home.

Billed as a “humanitarian orchestra,” Symphony for United Nations concerts have benefited young victims of the Chernobyl nuclear disaster, the child refugees of Bosnia and peace in Northern Ireland. SUN has played in Costa Rica, Moscow and South Africa.

The Asheville branch hopes to create music and arts programs in the area that focus attention on and raise money for peace, refugees, hunger, disaster, the environment and especially for children. The paid orchestra will be composed of classical musicians in the area, many of them with the Asheville Symphony Orchestra.

The first concert is coming up next Sunday, April 24, at Diana Wortham Theater at 3 p.m. to benefit the Southern Appalachian Highlands Conservancy and the Children’s Welfare League. Among the highlights to watch for are an appearance by a young Asheville musician, violinist Ginger Kowal, and the performance of an original composition, “Listen, The Earth is Weeping,” by Ron Clearfield, the music director of the Asheville Youth Orhcestra and Asheville Civic Orchestra.

Founded in 1974 by conductor Joseph Egers, SUN is a nongovernmental organization headquartered in New York. Egers is internationally acclaimed as a conductor and as the author of the book, “Einstein’s Violin: A Conductor’s Notes on Music, Physics and Social Change.”

Though he currently lives in Pompano Beach, Egers is excited about Symphony for United Nations, Asheville (SUNA). “There’s an audience there not only for good music but also for deep thinking and decent social goals for a better world,” he said. “I love Asheville. I love the people. … Asheville is kinder than some other places I’ve been.”

To find out more about SUNA, call Corine Brouwer at (828) 236-0771.

On the Web: http://www.symphonyun.org/home.html

---

Liberal? Why, yes we are!

Old Posted Apr 18, 2005, 7:28 AM
A gruff individual.

From the Asheville Citizen-Times (04/18/05)

Downtown parking garage construction to begin in fall

By Rebeccah Cantley-Falk
STAFF WRITER

ASHEVILLE — While downtown merchants await the construction of Asheville’s new parking garage, some are doing all they can to preserve parking for their customers.

“You don’t want to take up the limited space the customers could use, so a lot of us actually park at the top of Montford (Avenue) and walk over,” merchant Phyllis Roberts said.

Roberts, owner of the Dragonfly, an eclectic home accents and gifts boutique in the Grove Arcade, is one of many downtown merchants who say the planned 650-space garage is overdue. City Council approved the structure in December, but it will be several months before dirt starts flying at the site along Haywood Street. Construction is scheduled to begin in the fall and should take about 18 months, City Engineer Cathy Ball said.

“We still don’t have all the property acquired,” she said.

The Battery Park Apartments, which provides subsidized housing for low-income seniors, is seeking approval from the Department of Housing and Urban Development to sell property for the project, Ball said.

The city must close on the Battery Park property before it can close on property from the Basilica of St. Lawrence church, also along Haywood Street, she said.

Although merchants have been outspoken about the need for parking, some Asheville residents are against the project because of its scale and cost. The five-story garage, which has been in the works several years, will take up an entire city block. And projected costs rose from $11.9 million to $20.8 million, or $32,000 per space.

The city plans to finance the garage through bonds to be paid for with parking revenues and a projected $10 increase in monthly rates in all of the city’s garages.

Another component of the project is a parcel of land that could be privately developed. There are no plans for the land now because it will be used for storage and staging during construction.

In March, City Council voted to pay for a marketing study to determine the best use for the parcel. Councilman Brownie Newman has pushed for an affordable housing component for the project, but the study will consider all options.

In the meantime, parking woes aren’t preventing new businesses from starting in downtown. Matt DeRobertis opened a Chef Cargo kitchen store in the Grove Arcade about two weeks ago.

“Parking is a problem, but we like the traffic downtown,” his wife, Alex DeRobertis, said.

Contact Falk at 232-2938 or

rfalk@CITIZEN-TIMES.com.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2005, 11:01 PM
A gruff individual.

From the Asheville Citizen-Times (04/20/05)

Broadway building could spur more activity

By Mark Barrett
STAFF WRITER

ASHEVILLE — Many people expected big things to happen on Broadway when workers finished widening the historic street between Chestnut Street and UNC Asheville in 1997.

But neighborhood resident Willie Shivers summed up what happened next this way: “Nothing.”

“The only thing is, they just took out the parking,” he said Tuesday, referring to conversion of on-street parking between Chestnut and Interstate 240 into two additional lanes of traffic when the stretch of wider road north of Chestnut opened.

Developers of a planned four-story, mixed-use condominium building at the southwest corner of Broadway and Elizabeth Street say that relative inactivity is about to change.

They held a groundbreaking for the building Tuesday, plan to start on another, similar one right beside the first later this year and say a third should follow within a year or so.

And they predict the corridor just north of downtown will see other development as their project gains momentum.

“There are a bunch of property owners all up and down this corridor … just waiting for the action to begin,” said David Hill, a partner in the project and the architect who designed the first building.

The first building in a cluster developers are calling The Gateway will have retail use on the first floor, offices on the second and 10 residential condominiums on the top two floors.

It’s designed to be environmentally friendly. Much of the exterior will consist of huge panels of recycled material that are particularly energy-efficient because of a lack of cracks and seams, said Tom Gallaher, another partner. Heating and cooling systems are also designed to be highly efficient and, Gallaher said, the location itself encourages walking or riding a bicycle.

That was an attraction for Samantha Forrest, who has reserved one of the units in 237 Broadway.

“It’s close to UNCA. It’s close to the health food store. It’s going to be close to the Staples store when it goes up (on Merrimon Avenue) and it’s close to downtown,” Forrest said.

City government rezoned property along the street to encourage mixed-use development. Community Corridors, a private company that includes developers of 237 Broadway, has plans that show a series of mixed-use buildings along the street and has acquired other property in the area. The city has done some planning and other work toward building a greenway path along Reed Creek, which parallels Broadway, although that project has been delayed repeatedly.

Work on 237 Broadway has been a while coming, too. Partner Kimberly Evans asked a crowd of about 75 people at Tuesday’s groundbreaking to give a hand to some buyers who had reserved space in the building more than two years ago.

Economic ups and downs, time spent getting different zoning in place and the fact that, “all five of us have day jobs” contributed to planning stretching over several years, Gallaher said.

Contact Barrett at 232-5833 or

mbarrett@CITIZEN-TIMES.com.

More information

To learn more about three buildings planned along Broadway, call 251-2900 or visit www.ashevillegateway.com.

---

My take? Nice design, but too damn short. Add about ten stories and then we'll talk. Here's a pic:

Last edited by hauntedheadnc; Apr 20, 2005 at 11:14 PM.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2005, 11:20 PM
A gruff individual.

From the Mountain X-Press (04/20/05)

Take me to the river
Council approves new River District apartments
by Brian Postelle

The Asheville City Council's unanimous approval of a proposed mixed-use development in Asheville's River District paves the way for further revitalization in the historic area, neighboring merchants say.

"Please vote for the zoning that will allow for this improvement," urged Susan Kendel, owner of Carolina Cornerstone Construction on Depot Street, one of several local businesspeople who spoke during a public hearing at Council's April 12 formal session.

Mountain Housing Opportunities plans to spend up to $20 million on the development, which will provide 110 one- to three-bedroom apartments at rents ranging from $300 to $675 per month. The local nonprofit specializes in developing housing for low-income families.

Federal and state tax credits, which could amount to as much as $10 million (half the projected cost), will play a crucial role in making the project feasible, said MHO Community Rental Investments Manager Cindy Weeks. The credits, she explained, will offset the cost by "[bringing] in huge sources of equity, so our bank loans will be much smaller."

Three types of credits are available, Weeks told Xpress: for historic renovation, affordable housing and investing in a nonresidential project in a blighted area. Investors buy the credits, providing money for construction; they can then take advantage of the tax credits themselves. And the reduced debt load enables the project to be viable while keeping rents low.

The project also includes renovating the neighboring 115-year-old Glen Rock Hotel, creating 20 to 25 modestly priced condominiums. The nonprofit is buying both properties from Ralph and Clarence Cannon.

The approval by City Council marked the first use of a new zoning classification. The Urban Place District, created in February, allows much-higher-density residential development (as much as 64 units per acre, compared to 16 units per acre under the property's prior zoning), as well as mixed-use retail, office and community space. When Council approved the new zoning category, Planning and Development Director Scott Shuford noted that it would be perfect for upcoming projects in the long-neglected River District. Around the same time, Mountain Housing Opportunities' proposed development went before the city's Technical Review Committee, where it won unanimous support. Council also approved a conditional-use permit for the project.

The 2.11-acre site sits between Depot and Ralph streets, surrounded by dilapidated commercial and industrial structures. Apart from the hotel, only two small, abandoned buildings remain on the property; they are slated for demolition. But a historic photo of the site displayed by Weeks showed Asheville's train depot, along with many other buildings. The area, noted Weeks, "was really like a small town – a real hub of activity." Mayor Charles Worley, an Asheville native, said he thought the depot had been torn down in the 1960s.

The photo, taken during the great flood of 1916, showed the site partially under water, due to spillover from a temporary dam created by debris swept down the French Broad during the deluge that lodged against the old bridge. During last year's flooding, water never reached the site (which is not in the floodplain), she noted.

The new building will contain 110 apartments, as well as three floors of mixed-use space. The Urban Place designation, noted Shuford, prohibits certain "undesirable" uses, such as bars and nightclubs.

According to the plans shown to Council, the complex will offer courtyards and other pedestrian amenities as well as a possible rooftop green space. Additional landscaping is planned along Town Branch, a creek that runs through the property (affectionately dubbed "Nasty Branch" by the locals). Most of the parking, noted Weeks, will be contained inside the lower levels of the building.

No objections were raised during the public hearing, and every one of the handful of people who spoke enthusiastically endorsed the new development.

Kevin Green, whose family owns Green's Mini-Mart on Depot Street, said he's watched Asheville revitalize every corner of the city except the River District. "It has pretty much been the redheaded stepchild of the city," he said.

Besides providing affordable housing, the development will also help maintain momentum on the overall plan for the riverfront, the city staff report points out.

Council member Terry Bellamy, who is marketing-and-development manager for Mountain Housing Opportunities, was excused from the discussion and vote.

Next annexation

Council members also took the first step in extending the city limits into five new areas south of town: the Ridgefield Business Park, Ascot Point Village, a section of Long Shoals Road, Airport Road and Town Square. The move will bring several residential and business complexes and two public schools into the city (the schools will remain in the county system).

The city's policy is to annex bordering areas that exhibit urban character and meet state requirements, according to the staff report. The whole process is expected to take about eight months, barring legal challenges by residents. The next step, said Shuford, is to determine the project's economic impact on the city (including both expenses and tax revenues) and report back to Council on April 26.

Council member Brownie Newman likened annexation to another perennial source of controversy: water. "Asheville pays twice the level of taxes as people outside the city," noted Newman. Those taxes, he said, pay for city services. "When [an area] becomes urban in nature, it should pay for those things," he asserted.

But not everyone was ready to get on board the annexation express. Vice Mayor Carl Mumpower had a philosophical objection, saying the "harm outweighs the benefits."

And Council member Joe Dunn had a problem with the way the new tax revenues would be used. "The money is not going back into core city services," he said. "Until I see that, this councilman will never vote for annexation."

At Shuford's suggestion, Council voted on each area separately, so if one annexation is challenged, it won't hold up all the others. Newman made all the motions to approve, with Council member Holly Jones seconding. All six motions (there are two parcels in Town Square) were approved on 5-2 votes, with Mumpower and Dunn opposed. Several steps remain in the process, however: a May 31 public-information meeting, a June 14 public hearing, and a June 28 vote on the annexation. If approved, the annexations would take effect Sept. 30 (for Ridgefield and Town Square) and Dec. 31 (for Ascot Point, Long Shoals Road and Airport Road).

[Brian Postelle is a regular contributor to Xpress.]

Old Posted Apr 20, 2005, 11:29 PM
A gruff individual.

From the Asheville Citizen-Times (04/22/05)

Hotel may go up near Civic Center
Project would create jobs

By Mark Barrett
STAFF WRITER

ASHEVILLE — A Missouri-based hotel developer announced Thursday that he wants to build a 250- to 280-room hotel near the Civic Center downtown.

The possibility of a roughly $50 million hotel, which officials said would create the equivalent of 200 full-time jobs, also could spur action to renovate the aging Civic Center, Mayor Charles Worley said.

Developer John Q. Hammons said the hotel would be located near the Civic Center and that he is looking for property from Lexington Avenue west toward the center but has not settled on a site.

The hotel would probably be branded as an Embassy Suites or a Marriott and would get much of its business from conventions and meetings, he said during a press conference at City Hall.

City-owned property along Rankin Avenue is a possibility, Worley said, but private property may be needed as well. Hammons said he would like to begin construction in a year-and-a-half or so.

Based in Springfield, Mo., John Q. Hammons Hotels owns or manages 58 hotels in 22 states under brands such as Embassy Suites, Renaissance and Marriott.

Hammons, founder, CEO and chairman of the company that bears his name, said he personally owns a number of other hotels and has built 163 hotels since getting into the business in 1958.

City government has been struggling off and on for years to find money to make significant renovations to the complex. Worley said he will contact state legislators to urge them to approve a tax or fee to generate money to pay for work on the Civic Center.

“As best we can tell, (the hotel proposal) fits very nicely with some of the goals we have for the Civic Center,” Worley said.

Hammons did not say explicitly that his plans hinge on improvements to the Civic Center, but he said the building currently is “not acceptable for a proper meeting.” The hotel would contain meeting space as well, he said.

“We think we need to (renovate the Civic Center) if we’re going to be a partner with Mr. Hammons,” Worley said.

Hammons said he does not have any property under option and that attempts to secure a couple of parcels did not work out.

“This is not an easy city to get into … because of your topography and the history that you have,” he said.

Some Haywood Street businesspeople said a hotel would boost business.

“It would have to help the restaurants and everybody down here,” said Jennie Charlton, co-owner of Sensibilities, a day spa and natural body care products store.

Contact Barrett at 232-5833 or mbarrett@CITIZEN-TIMES.com.

---

250-280 rooms on what is likely to be a small plot of land? How many stories is this building likely to be?

Last edited by hauntedheadnc; Apr 22, 2005 at 8:06 PM.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2005, 8:00 PM
A gruff individual.

From the Asheville Citizen-Times (04/22/05)

Committee prods city to mend aging Civic Center

By Rebeccah Cantley-Falk
STAFF WRITER

ASHEVILLE — City leaders hope a Missouri developer’s plans to build a hotel near the 30–year-old Asheville Civic Center will also help them build a case for renovating or replacing the outdated facility.

But Asheville has been down this road before. For at least 10 years, city officials have talked about improving the Civic Center.

Members of the Civic Center Commission — a citizen committee that advises City Council on center operations — say they’re tired of waiting for something to happen.

In February, the commission published an 11-page report called a “White Paper,” listing problems ranging from water leaks in the Thomas Wolfe Auditorium to a fire alarm system that no longer meets code.

“We wanted to get people talking about the Civic Center again and get a discussion going based in fact,” commission chairman Max Alexander said.

The bottom line in the commission report is that the Civic Center has maintenance needs that can’t be ignored and that city leaders need to determine the building’s future and set a plan of action. The frustrating thing for Alexander and others was that many of the problems outlined in the report were identical to those mentioned in 2001. That year, the city appointed a task force and hired Atlanta-based architectural firm, Heery International, to report problems and devise a plan for addressing them.

Water damage in the 2,400-seat Thomas Wolfe Auditorium is one of the most visible deficiencies. Stains, peeling paint and crumbling plaster were mentioned in both Civic Center reports.

“I get tired of hearing, ‘well, now is not the time,’ or whatever put-off you hear,” Alexander said. “The roof on the Thomas Wolfe Auditorium as well as the arena is splitting open, water is going in, and it doesn’t come out.”

City Council members offer a variety of reasons for lack of action: there’s no local funding source, legislators have been unwilling to talk about a tax or fee to generate money, and the council has lacked leadership. Others say the problems haven’t been characterized accurately.

“It’s not as bad as some would portray, nor as good as others would like to believe,” Vice Mayor Carl Mumpower said. “The roof is not about to fall in. We’re neglecting maintenance needs that are going to come back and bite us. We can limp along like this for some time, but what we can do and should do are very different.”

Alexander said he received a few e-mails from council members after the release of the most recent Civic Center report but was disappointed that it didn’t generate more feedback. During City Council’s retreat in December, Mumpower encouraged Mayor Charles Worley to form a committee to devise a plan for replacing or restoring the Civic Center, but Worley said another committee would be useless.

“I want to have a realistic opportunity to get something done,” Worley said. “We need something that will make an impression on the legislative delegation that we really do need a funding source.”

Ideas that have been informally discussed are a prepared food and beverage tax or a 2-cent hotel room tax, but nothing has garnered support from the local delegation.

The earliest council is likely to discuss Civic Center repairs or replacement is in May during budget deliberations, Worley said. The Civic Center’s $2.3 million budget includes about $50,000 for maintenance, much less than what would be needed for meaningful action, Director David Pisha said.

The Heery Report outlined several choices for renovations and improvements ranging in cost from $7.2 million to $85.9 million.

The general fund subsidy for the Civic Center this year was budgeted for $776,249, according to the city’s budget.

“We bring in a lot of diverse events, and we have public assembly space,” he said. “Just about any citizen at some point will come to an event here, be it a sport or the symphony.”

Contact Falk at 232-2938 or RFalk@CITIZEN-TIMES.com.

Old Posted May 2, 2005, 5:06 AM
A gruff individual.

From the Asheville Citizen-Times (05/02/05)

Hotel proposal may jump-start languishing debate over Civic Center
By Mark Barrett
STAFF WRITER

ASHEVILLE — Will John Q. Hammons help Asheville decide what to do about its aging Civic Center?

Mayor Charles Worley hopes Hammons’ proposal to build a large hotel near the Civic Center will prompt action to fix the center, but two key state legislators were noncommittal when asked what should happen next to the city facility on Haywood Street.

Hammons, a Missouri developer, did not say his plans are contingent on improvements to the Civic Center when he announced April 21 his hopes to build a hotel but called its current condition “not acceptable.”

Worley said the proposal should spur action on the center, saying Hammons’ project would generate about $300,000 a year in additional property tax revenues, $38,000 in sale taxes and even more indirect economic benefits.

City leaders have discussed renovating the center for several years. A February report by the Civic Center Commission, a citizens committee that advises City Council on center operations, said the Thomas Wolfe Auditorium roof leaks and is too damaged to repair, the fire alarm system does not comply with the current building code and several systems or fixtures have exceeded their useful life.

However, there have been disagreements over how best to fix the center. Worley said City Council does not want to pay for improvements with property tax revenue.

State legislators have been reluctant to approve a special source of revenue such as a local-option sales tax or a tax on food and beverage sales.

Two state legislators said that because of the General Assembly’s calendar, it would be difficult to get any action on a proposal this year even if a consensus on what should be done existed.

Sen. Martin Nesbitt, D-Buncombe, said he has heard little about the issue lately.

“I don’t know what (city officials) would be proposing or what they would be requesting of us. I just don’t know,” he said.

Right now, “I’m not in favor today of looking at any other way of taxing the people,” said Rep. Wilma Sherrill, R-Buncombe. “I do think that something needs to be done about the Civic Center but I haven’t made any (decision) as to what it might be.”

County commissioners have discussed transferring responsibility for the Civic Center to an independent board or to county government as part of a settlement of the dispute over the city-county water agreement, but city officials have been unenthusiastic about the idea.

People in the hospitality industry have generally resisted using proceeds from the county hotel/motel room tax to fix the Civic Center and there is some opposition to using public funds to help attract a hotel to the area near the center.

Victor Trantham, general manager of the 33-room Haywood Park Hotel just down Haywood Street from the Civic Center, said a key issue with regard to Hammons’ plans would be whether the city proposes subsidizing them in some way.

“No one else around here had the city help them build their hotel,” he said.

Worley said the city might make land it owns along Rankin Avenue available as a hotel site. But, he said, there has been no discussion of the city bearing any of Hammons’ costs.

“We would expect to be compensated at fair market value (for land). This is not something that has come to us saying, ‘Give us incentives, we’ll do it,’ ” he said.

Some people who work along North Lexington worry that the city might condemn property there to make way for a hotel.

Worley dismissed the idea.

“We have not talked about doing that, and we can’t do that for a private purpose,” he said.

At the moment, the city is waiting to see what Hammons does next, Worley said.

“We’re going to work with Mr. Hammons, but he’s got to come forward with a specific proposal.”

Contact Barrett at 232-5833 or mbarrett@CITIZEN-TIMES.com.

---

I've got mixed feeling about this proposal. On one hand, I'm thrilled at the thought of a large, and probably tall, building going up downtown. The plot of land they're talking about stuffing this building onto is just tiny, which means the developer would have no choice but to build up.

On the other hand though, if this hotel turns out as posh as other Hammons projects, it's too close for comfort to North Lexington Avenue, which is one of ASheville's most bohemian 'hoods. I don't like the thought of an established community getting pushed aside in the name of some developer's bottom line. Besides, Asheville needs its dirty hippies every bit as much as its capitalist pigs. Together the two make the city work, and without one or the other it will fall apart. I don't want Asheville to become normal, because then it would no longer be Asheville, and if an expensive hotel were to go up near a dirty hippy enclave, you just know all the prissy hotel guests wouldn't want to mix and mingle. And because the prissy guests will have more money to throw around, guess who will be listened to?

I have concerns.

Old Posted May 2, 2005, 6:09 AM
A gruff individual.

Here's another article that addresses some of the very things I'm most concerned about with a large upscale hotel moving into downtown

---

From the Asheville Citizen-Times (05/02/05)

COVER STORY: Fears and cheers: New hotel proposed for downtown sparks variety of reactions
By Mark Barrett
STAFF WRITER

ASHEVILLE - Developer John Q. Hammons' proposal to build a 250- to 280-room hotel near the Civic Center might boost business around it.

It might also change the character of some nearby areas, and it might have trouble attracting a lot of meeting business, some say.

Or, it might not get built at all.

Hammons, a Missouri developer who has built more than 150 hotels around the country, came to town April 21 to announce at a press conference that he would like to build a hotel west of North Lexington Avenue, north of Walnut Street and south of Interstate 240. The hotel would probably be either a Marriott or Embassy Suites and construction might begin in a year-and-a-half, he said.

Hammons said he has not settled on a site for the hotel, which Mayor Charles Worley valued at $50 million or more. Scott Tarwater, an official with Hammons' company, said it would offer the equivalent of 200 full-time jobs.

But no matter where it is located, the hotel would be sure to have a dramatic impact on the western end of downtown.

NEIGHBORS

Several downtown businesspeople said increased numbers of visitors staying nearby would likely boost their sales, although they also voiced concerns.

"Anything that would bring an attraction ... for tourists would be good for us," said blacksmith Douglas Lapham, co-owner of Ariel Gallery, a crafts gallery on Haywood Street.

"I can see that turning into an asset" if it makes use of parking lots on Rankin Avenue immediately behind the Civic Center, Lapham said.

Many of the customers at Sensibilities, a natural body care products store and day spa on Haywood Street, are guests at downtown hotels, said co-owner Jennie Charlton. "It would be great to have another hotel here," she said.

Down the hill on North Lexington Avenue, views were more mixed. Last year's closing of coffeehouse Vincent's Ear, a key gathering spot for many in Asheville's arts community, and reports of rising rents this year have raised worries that the area will become gentrified.

North Lexington has been more of a counterculture part of Asheville for years but has already changed from a focus on antiques and used clothing to a more upscale mix with art galleries, craft stores and home furnishing stores - and, still, vintage clothing.

A hotel nearby would be "awful" because it would spur location of franchise businesses along the street, said Kate Roach, a seamstress at a North Lexington shop. "Asheville's charm (is) not having a lot of big, anywhere-in-America things."

"We're going to be shoved out when somebody else comes along" who can pay more rent, said Kitty Love, owner of Sky People Gallery.

Luis Serapio, co-owner of Terra Nostra Décor, said it is too soon to measure the impacts.

"If somebody's going to try to develop some jobs for these people in this town, that's not a bad thing," but it is hard to evaluate the idea until a location is known, he said.

Kanji Ueda, owner of Heiwa Shokudo Japanese restaurant, said the additional business a hotel might bring would be good but worried that it might change North Lexington.

"I love this street right now," he said. "It's in harmony."

VISITORS

Hammons said meetings and conventions would make up a big part of the hotel's business. But there is skepticism about how large the demand is for more meetings in the area.

The meetings business "is a tough market, and it's been a tough market since 2001," said Craig Madison, president and general manager of the Grove Park Inn. The inn would not be a direct competitor of Hammons' hotel, he said.

Companies have not restored travel budgets to earlier levels, he said. "People are still having meetings but people are sending less attendees."

Marla Tambellini of the Asheville Convention and Visitors Bureau had a similar assessment.

"Right now it seems that the Asheville market appears to be accommodating the current demand for meeting space," she said.

Hotel rates and occupancy in general have been trending up, but, "we still have not achieved quite the occupancy levels that our friends in places like Savannah and Charleston have, nor the daily rate," Tambellini said.

On the other hand, Madison said there is a strong interest in staying downtown.

"Downtown Asheville is a great product," he said. "If I was not from here and traveling here and I didn't want to go on the resort side or the Biltmore side, I'd really want to be downtown."

A 2000 study done by an Atlanta consulting firm for the Buncombe County Tourism Development Authority recommended against changes to the Civic Center to turn it into a convention or conference center.

"The investment would not generate a positive return in terms of positive economic impact or significantly increased visitation," Peggy Berg, president of The Highland Group, wrote at the time. The city already has a fairly large amount of meeting space, most groups that might consider Asheville are already coming here and large groups tend to meet in cities that have more air service than Asheville and other cities its size do, the report says.

The business would come, Hammons said during his press conference.

"You have some first-rate hotels here now, we know, but I think there's room for one more with some good meeting space," he said.

---

I've seen plans, which thankfully aren't going anywhere, for an expansion of the Asheville Civic Center. The owner of Heiwa Shokudo is right to not want the hotel coming in. If the Civic Center plans were followed to the letter, the center would spill over another two blocks to Lexington Avenue, and his little restaurant sits squarely in the path of a performing arts center.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast