HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 5:20 PM
Member since 2001

SWEET!!!

Any rumblings about new long-haul routes? A colleague of mine swears she heard an AUS-AMS route was going to open soon. I told her that I would not believe everything she hears. But, I was hopefully optimistic regarding that route and a future route to Asia (in the coming years).

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 3:22 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Has someone not notified ABIA that Volaris plans on beginning service to Guadalajara on August 7th? It's weird that the news has been out there and neither their website nor Facebook page say anything about it.

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILUVSAT View Post
Has someone not notified ABIA that Volaris plans on beginning service to Guadalajara on August 7th? It's weird that the news has been out there and neither their website nor Facebook page say anything about it.
Indeed. Not even on any news outlet. Maybe they're just accepting the route will die in months so there's no need to advertise to save it ?

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 7:42 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

I would assume there will be a press release from ABIA in the next couple of weeks.

On another note I had to pick up my cousin from the airport last Monday night. I was impressed by the amount of traffic there was being 11:30 and traffic heading to the lower level pick up zone came to a standstill before even making it to the split. Took about 10 minutes before getting to the pick up area. Noticed there were several United Airlines planes on the apron with all the gates filled. I figured those were staying overnight. There is no doubt that the airport is running at capacity. Even with the end of the day rush it seemed extremely crowded.

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 12:29 AM
Air Traffic Controller

I flew out last Wednesday for LAS and the flight was 100% full on a 737-800. The flight back today was at least 90% full...and Mondays aren't the usual busy days.

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 12:37 AM
PrimaPix Visuals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
I would assume there will be a press release from ABIA in the next couple of weeks.

On another note I had to pick up my cousin from the airport last Monday night. I was impressed by the amount of traffic there was being 11:30 and traffic heading to the lower level pick up zone came to a standstill before even making it to the split. Took about 10 minutes before getting to the pick up area. Noticed there were several United Airlines planes on the apron with all the gates filled. I figured those were staying overnight. There is no doubt that the airport is running at capacity. Even with the end of the day rush it seemed extremely crowded.
I work nights around the airport. There is a lot of traffic in and around the airport til about 1:30am. The traffic picks back up at around 4:30am and is steady throughout the rest of the day.

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 5:36 AM
World Traveler

So, any updates on the expansion? I've not heard anything on that in a while.

And, any updates on the next expansion? And the one after that?

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 6:21 PM
Meh

Austin-Bergstrom International Airport - https://www.facebook.com/abia/photos...type=3&theater

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 10:42 PM
World Traveler

According to this, February is normally the lowest month and July is the highest. This year's February is about the same as 2012's July, albeit a little lower. That's impressive.

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 3:25 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

I think the city should just go ahead and build the next expansion at the same time. They already dropped the ball on procrastination getting this expansion going, let's just get the next one out of the way and maybe we will be able to keep up with the airport's growth.

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 10:14 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
I think the city should just go ahead and build the next expansion at the same time. They already dropped the ball on procrastination getting this expansion going, let's just get the next one out of the way and maybe we will be able to keep up with the airport's growth.
It's hard to imagine that not disrupting airport operations especially since they will have to close a few gates while building the current terminal extension.

Old Posted May 4, 2016, 10:40 PM

Has there been a definitive decision on what the next expansion will look like after the current expansion is completed? I know there have been various graphics posted but surely the city has a plan by now for what comes next. Anybody have some semi-reliable intel?

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 1:04 AM
World Traveler

^ I'm wondering the same thing. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 1:49 AM

W

Last edited by Austin1971; Jan 23, 2020 at 7:15 PM.

Old Posted May 5, 2016, 2:37 AM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin1971 View Post
Word floating around is that the port is tweaking the design to add a few gates to the east expansion, for a total of 12.

One of United's gates is out due to damage caused by the recent weather event, United bird crushing the bridge. Gate 4 will be out of service shortly due to the new retention pond construction.

South terminal is a go. Allegiant and Texas Sky have committed. Frontier still negotiating.
Very, very interesting! I hope they, Gentler, stick with the currently proposed design-style for the east terminal expansion...just larger.

Speaking aggregately, when considering the (newly purported) possible "12" gate east concourse expansion plus the South Terminal (3-4 "gates," I think), we're looking at a total addition of 15-16 gates. That's a 60%-64% increase in total number of gates at ABIA.

Pretty cool!

Old Posted May 6, 2016, 1:36 PM

Quote:
http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/ne...o-mexicos.html

http://www.austintexas.gov/news/vola...ts-guadalajara

Old Posted May 7, 2016, 5:08 AM

Quote:
I know this has been answered but generally it takes the city a few days to compose a full release. Usually it'll hit routesonline or similar sites first.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 2:12 AM
World Traveler

Looking at the airport on Google Earth, I noticed a big plot of cleared land at Presidential Blvd. and Hwy. 71, just northeast of the Hilton. What's going on there?

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
Looking at the airport on Google Earth, I noticed a big plot of cleared land at Presidential Blvd. and Hwy. 71, just northeast of the Hilton. What's going on there?
I had asked this earlier and found it to be:

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/bl...n-airport.html

Also, I think there is a Hyatt coming up behind the Hilton.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 12:47 PM
Air Traffic Controller

The new water retention pond has been delayed due to contamination. There weren't any specifics but if the Air Force is responsible for handling that since it was their building that was knocked down, it might take a while.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin