HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 3:34 AM
SUSPENDED

Re: Edmonton funicular

To be honest Im not a real big fan of this. Its limited range and overall design is lacking imo. It only has 5 pieces of flare. It should have a lot more.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 4:10 AM
Community Guy

Ridership is going to be so incredibly low.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 5:54 PM

Exactly. The NSR valley is to be looked at from on high only - not actually used.

Or at least, not used by anyone over 60.

My 93 year old mom thanks all of you for your ongoing efforts to make her life smaller.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 6:13 PM
HVAC guru

So many ways access could be improved, this thing is going to end up an under- utilized white elephant that I wouldn't be surprised to see shut down most of the time due to being abused/ lived in/ etc

Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 6:23 PM
Community Guy

^exactly.

^^come on now, that is not what any of us (I hope) are trying to do here, simply opportunity cost and a funicular to a bridge to an elevating device to a path.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 7:13 PM

Oh, I'm sure no one is trying to do that Ian.

But the end result is that you are. Then again, Louise McKinney Park is so over-crowded ...

Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 7:18 PM
Erik Soderstrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
So many ways access could be improved, this thing is going to end up an under- utilized white elephant that I wouldn't be surprised to see shut down most of the time due to being abused/ lived in/ etc
It could be. personally i like the idea but like so many city projects, building the thing is the least of the issue. as you point out, it will need to be maintained - with respect to maintenance, cleanliness, vandalism prevention, lighting, security.... etc etc... i'm more worried about the city's track record on upkeep of public resources.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 7:27 PM
HVAC guru

I think it would have been a great success if it actually started and ended somewhere, like from Churchill to LMP (just as an example, ignore the geographical constraints for argument's sake). The way it is now, it starts in a somewhat forlorn corner of the downtown and drops you into a fairly inhospitable location where you still have to walk a fair distance to get somewhere. I think that is the project's downfall

Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 7:41 PM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
Oh, I'm sure no one is trying to do that Ian.

But the end result is that you are. Then again, Louise McKinney Park is so over-crowded ...
If you think a funicular is going to make LMP much busier, you are very much off the mark.

LMP is one of my favourite places to go because it is not that busy with people staying, but rather passing through, stopping for w/c, snacks, a view.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 8:58 PM

Pretty expensive private park for you.

But forget me; friends and family in other cities often wonder why Edmonton doesn't interface with its beautiful valley better. They're right- we don't.

Access is but one issue I realize. The collective horror at the thought of even a privately run coffee kiosk, let alone small restaurant being another.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2016, 9:01 PM
Community Guy

^really?

We do a great job in some areas and awful jobs in others, much opportunity here.

Totally agree, mind you, MY LMP has a cafe.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2016, 10:37 PM

ErinIsfeldCTV ‏@ErinIsfeldCTV
City council just voted to cancel the Hawrelak Park pool project by a vote of 7-6 citing more pressing places to put taxpayer money.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2016, 10:54 PM

^Dunno, not sure if Hawrelak is still a meat market (wuz in my day, but no way I'm saying what day that was!), but it gets pretty crowded on a nice summer day even without a pool / spray park.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2016, 11:02 PM
Derp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
ErinIsfeldCTV ‏@ErinIsfeldCTV
City council just voted to cancel the Hawrelak Park pool project by a vote of 7-6 citing more pressing places to put taxpayer money.
Like a funicular?

Old Posted Mar 1, 2016, 11:16 PM
Urban Advocate

Well, wasn't that 80% prov dollars or something?
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 4:32 PM

didn't expect this to go forward after the price increase. This was one of my projects and it kept getting pushed back or put on hold. If the money becomes available it will go ahead. its pretty much shovel ready.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 5:20 PM
DRINK

Beach>>>>>>>funicular

makes no sense.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 5:41 PM
Community Guy

Funding sources, makes sense.

Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 10:37 PM
Community Guy

Just back from a meeting with the City on this project. They completely changed my mind on this investment and project. Expect new images and information on Monday.

- Construction to commence Monday March 7th.
- Graham Construction
- Anticipated completion November 2017
- There will a fairly wide stair to the west of the funicular with somewhat of a Spanish Stair quality/intent
- Viewpoints at the top, mid and cantilevered south portions
- The 'promenade' middle horizontal section will be quite interesting and have a green space into the hill
- The lower portion of the wood stair will remain, at least initially, with a naturalized trail/walkway connection to the mid-point/promenade to the east

Funding is Building Canada, River Valley Alliance and MSI with very little direct COE tax dollars.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 8:56 PM
Community Guy

Media are invited to attend an event celebrating the start of construction of the Mechanized River Valley Access project. Councillor Ben Henderson and other City of Edmonton representatives will share details about this exciting new Downtown project. The City of Edmonton will also be sharing new renderings of the project.

Date:  Monday, March 7, 2016 
Time:
10 a.m.

Hotel Macdonald – The Confederation Lounge (10065-100 Street)  

The Mechanized River Valley Access project will create a new destination in Edmonton and will include a funicular, an outdoor elevator, and a broad staircase that will offer people places to stop and enjoy the panoramic views of the river valley.

In 2013, the City of Edmonton received $72.9 million in funding from the River Valley Alliance for projects designed to improve access in the river valley (projects are funded by the provincial and federal governments). The budget for the Mechanized River Valley Access project is $24 million.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton