HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 7:22 AM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ It's probably related to that parking/retail building that's been planned for the past few years
The last few reports have had the idea of an above ground parking structure kicked to the curb. It was going to go to retail and now they are just talking about offices and amentities for the Cubs. I am thinking they don't want to deal with the NIMBY's like the Hyatt people have had to do since the stadium itself will likely be a much bigger and important battle.

I think they should build the lots across the street and build some underground parking if need be. Maybe tear up a piece of Clark St. and connect an underground garage between the triangle parcel and those lots. Parking is going to have to be a part of a future deal somewhere around there and may as well put it underground.

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 12:59 PM
THAT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
I am thinking they don't want to deal with the NIMBY's like the Hyatt people have had to do since the stadium itself will likely be a much bigger and important battle.
Speaking of which, did anyone post this projects website yet?

http://www.addisonparkonclark.com/

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 1:05 PM
Chicago Enthusiast

^^ cool renderings. The development looks rather average, but great for the neighborhood. That is some prime real estate right there, damn.

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 1:11 PM
The City

^ That McDonald's needs to go

I'm really beginning to resent how McDonald's develops land. Here are the worst land developers in America:

1) McDonalds
2) Walmart
3) Chain pharmacies (ie Walgreens)
4) Hospitals

For crying out loud, even grocery stores are beginning to catch on that you can build urban and still have parking. Either grow up or get the hell out of my prime real estate, McD's!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 2:03 PM

^ does anyone here remember when they put that mcdonalds and parking lot in initially? its been there as long as i can remember

also, I don't like the parking structure there at all, but I guess whats there isn't much better. But I just don't like the idea of a parking structure for wrigley. The way it is now is just way too classic!

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 2:12 PM
Not my real name

Quote:
^ That McDonald's needs to go
Seriously! But, it's only a matter of time. The questions is whether a private developer will build mixed use condos there like those planned for the southeast corner or whether the current or next owner of the Cubs will put up a family-friendly tourist trap. I can just see it now, Mark Cuban's Fun Zone.

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 2:26 PM

I wouldn't mind the McDonalds getting replaced with some parking.

There's a serious road capacity issue, though. Hopefully someone with even rudimentary experience in transportation planning will explain to the bozos like Thompson what will happen if you try sending thousands (or even merely hundreds) more vehicles to/from that location, at the same time, on existing city streets. It's not like there's any excess capacity as-is. It would snarl the entire frickin' north side.

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
I know this is sort of anecdotal and could be seen by many as hearsay, but my sister who is employed at NMH has heard more than once from her superior (head of the dental department) that the plot of land where the VA hospital is currently occupied is set to become a parking structure. Probably no surprise there, but I thought I would just set out what I know for anyone interested.
For once, being right doesn't give me a smug sense of self-satisfaction. Sigh.

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 2:53 PM

Quote:
I'm really beginning to resent how McDonald's develops land. Here are the worst land developers in America:

1) McDonalds
2) Walmart
3) Chain pharmacies (ie Walgreens)
4) Hospitals
How about banks? Seems like a new chase is going up every day in this city, complete with parking and a drive through. Puke.

Taft

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 3:03 PM
Chicago Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLFuego View Post
I wouldn't mind the McDonalds getting replaced with some parking.
say what? I agree with the idea/theory that more parking here would just encourge more people to drive to the area, when there is no need for them to. A parking garage here makes no sense. Any sort of commercial or residential development would thrive at at that location. A parking garage of what, 1000 cars? maybe? I am really shocked to hear you say that actually.

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 3:48 PM
BANNED

^^^ Yeah, people all ready take the train and bus as their primary mode of transit to Wrigley, there just is no capacity whatsoever for anything but a handful of cars.

LOOK AT THAT SEXY DENSITY!!!

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 3:58 PM
Chicago Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
that is sexy, and pretty sad for me being a Sox fan. Will someone please build a development in Bridgeport near the cell!!! please!

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 4:16 PM

Quote:

That view is going to look much cooler once the Spire goes up.

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbotnyse View Post
say what? I agree with the idea/theory that more parking here would just encourge more people to drive to the area, when there is no need for them to. A parking garage here makes no sense. Any sort of commercial or residential development would thrive at at that location. A parking garage of what, 1000 cars? maybe? I am really shocked to hear you say that actually.
Well, the statement immediately following that one was pointing that the street network is physically incapable of handling significantly more cars; adding more would gridlock a several mile radius because the road capacity just aint there for thousands of cars heading to/from the ballpark at the same time. And McDonald's is already a surface parking lot, so even just bulldozing the ugly sprawlburban McDonald's and landscaping the surface alot would just improve the aesthetics. I guess I'm saying, if they gotta try to slip in a few hundred parking spaces somewhere, then a redeveloped McDonald's with some ground floor retail and a couple floors of parking above, and some decent accompanying streetscaping, would be an improvement over existing conditions.

Either that, or the similarly laughably awful Taco Bell on the other side of Addison.

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 4:51 PM
Chicago Enthusiast

^^ if the street network is physically incapable of handling significantly more cars, then why build a parking garage to encourage more cars to the area?

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 5:03 PM

Really like it. Man we need to ban those humongus billboards we have around there. And hopefully a new tourist trap for the cubs will be build in the retail space below the awful parking "triangle" garage and drive the bastard at the corner of Clark and Addison out of business so a nice fountain and plaza can be built there when they tear down his 1 story cinderblock chain window building down.

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 5:36 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLFuego View Post
For once, being right doesn't give me a smug sense of self-satisfaction. Sigh.
For once, I am extra, extra pissed about being wrong.

"I often say, 'Look, see, enjoy, and love.' It's a long way from looking to loving, but it's worth the effort." - Walter Andrew Netsch Jr.

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 5:46 PM

As a reminder, here are the renders of that garage expansion from http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/chc/ballpark/expansion.jsp . The garage proposal was only like 400 spots, and it may or may not be built with office and training facilities instead of parking. And it does include proposals for a memorabilia store at Clark and Newport.

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 9:07 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago3rd View Post
Man we need to ban those humongus billboards we have around there.
I love the billboards outside the park, so long as they don't encroach into the stadium. It's a really cool experience to walk out of Wrigley and see several 50-foot billboards staring you down - like Times Square, but a bit smaller and less neon.

Old Posted May 1, 2008, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstush04 View Post
^ does anyone here remember when they put that mcdonalds and parking lot in initially? its been there as long as i can remember
In the 60s, it was the site of a "Franksville" - 10 or 11 diifferent types of hot dogs!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development