HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Central Park Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Aug 28, 2016, 12:49 AM
Mr. Technology

We might still get the spire.
If history is any indication of the future, this has been done before.
Think back to when the Chrysler and Empire State buildings were both competing for the tallest title.

It can happen.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2016, 2:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechTalkGuy View Post
We might still get the spire.
If history is any indication of the future, this has been done before.
Think back to when the Chrysler and Empire State buildings were both competing for the tallest title.

It can happen.
Right. It will happen. Just be patient.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2016, 1:18 PM

If Barnett can boost the parapet height to 1650ft with add a spire we can easily have a 2000ft Tower and off course a new tallest building in New York City

Old Posted Aug 28, 2016, 2:58 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by faridnyc View Post
If Barnett can boost the parapet height to 1650ft with add a spire we can easily have a 2000ft Tower and off course a new tallest building in New York City
That's unrealistic and very unlikely. Granted many of us would like that, but idk if Barnett is a SSP member. If he was, he would of made this the tallest a while back.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2016, 4:58 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
That's unrealistic and very unlikely. Granted many of us would like that, but idk if Barnett is a SSP member. If he was, he would of made this the tallest a while back.
Yea... while I obviously wouldn't hold out on the 2000ft (not gonna happen) it wouldn't be nearly as much of an investment to boost this thing back to the high 1700's with a spire and pass 1WTC while maintaining the ~1550 foot roof height. I know Barnett doesn't care, but with such a massive roof height this thing definitely deserves to be tallest.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2016, 5:04 PM

This is NIMBY-fied NYC and its draconian zoning laws. You can't just decide to build more height and the added occupied space just like that. You can't just grab air rights out of thin air.

If you only have 1.2 million square feet of buildable air rights, to make it taller, you will then have to take space from some other part of the building. We know the Nordstrom space is already spoken for and so that can't be touched. There is little space left for the tower to work with as it stands.

Going higher is nearly impossible now. The only option is the spire but Barnett has already scrapped that so forget about that, too.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2016, 5:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Going higher is nearly impossible now.
Well, building bigger is basically impossible now. Obviously Barnett used all the air rights already.

But going higher would be quite easy, as a spire or non-occupied roof element wouldn't be counted towards buildable square feet. If Barnett wants to build taller, he can do so, but only with spire or roof element, not with additional usable floors. And we already know that a spire version exists, and was covertly released.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a last-minute "reveal" of a spire or roof topper, as the top of the building looks unfinished, and official renderings have never been released. On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised to see that the leaked renderings are final. We'll see.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2016, 1:07 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Likely it's not really 130 floors but rather a marketing gimmick.
Yes, there won't be an "actual" 130 floors. But given the height, it's not a "gimmick" as you say. It has more to do with the higher than average ceiling heights. This primarily started with residential towers but more offers towers do it these days as well. It's more to give a perspective on how high the floors are, as compared with more traditional skyscrapers (older buildings). Barnett could say this has 150 floors and probably get away with it based on height alone. As it is now, the media still equates it that way. (600 ft = 60 stories, etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Even with the elevation boost, this will be closer to 1,640 ft.
The elevation figures are useless because we'll all be viewing the tower from one elevation or another. It stands at 1,550 ft per DOB permits, so it'll be at least that tall. Still taller by a roof height than anything in New York City at this point.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2016, 8:32 AM

This Tower Will surpass the 1wtc in the roof height but crown we still dont know

Old Posted Aug 30, 2016, 1:10 PM
Mr. Technology

I'm sure an even taller tower is being planned right now that will stun us all.
Personally, I prefer the spire because this tower was originally designed for it.
But like I said earlier, the spire can be added back.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 4:19 AM

Peeking out.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2016, 9:06 AM

http://therealdeal.com/2016/09/01/ex...hattan-square/
The rendering shows ctp with the spire

Old Posted Sep 2, 2016, 2:35 PM

It also shows 220's old design. It's just an old rendering. TRD author got lazy.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2016, 5:13 PM

New York, New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILNY View Post
Peeking out.

As a Philadelphian I am proud of my hometown and love it. However, I must say that New York City has an fantastic skyline! Glad this amazing city is in America.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2016, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion1 View Post
As a Philadelphian I am proud of my hometown and love it. However, I must say that New York City has an fantastic skyline! Glad this amazing city is in America.
..and it will only get better.

There may be higher towers in China or in the middle of a desert, but no other city in the world has a skyline like New York.

Higher resolution.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2016, 7:54 AM

I think That New York City need a megatall to complete it s skyline like hudson spire

Old Posted Sep 3, 2016, 1:38 PM

I don't think it needs a megatall, that would ruin the skyline and make all of the other towers (including the supertalls) look short comparatively and less impressive.

If it got several megatalls (or close to megatalls) in the currently forming supertall districts (to form a nice ecosystem of skyscrapers, not complete domination) then I'd be happy getting them but that's so highly unlikely.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2016, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetscaper View Post
I don't think it needs a megatall, that would ruin the skyline and make all of the other towers (including the supertalls) look short comparatively and less impressive.

If it got several megatalls (or close to megatalls) in the currently forming supertall districts (to form a nice ecosystem of skyscrapers, not complete domination) then I'd be happy getting them but that's so highly unlikely.
With faa rule i can not imagine a day That nyc have a megatall please dont take me as a bad man, i wish That one day the faa stop banned exceeding 2000 ft height

Old Posted Sep 3, 2016, 7:46 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by faridnyc View Post
With faa rule i can not imagine a day That nyc have a megatall please dont take me as a bad man, i wish That one day the faa stop banned exceeding 2000 ft height
A megatall is 600 meters or 1,968 feet, still possible.

In any case height hardly matters after a certain point. NY doesn't need building higher than that to be amazing.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2016, 7:09 PM

Can the height roof top of the parapet close 500m ?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive