HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Nov 2, 2015, 5:47 PM

Wu Chow Opening Thursday

The highly anticipated Wu Chow is opening Thursday. I'm personally very excited for this.

http://wuchowaustin.com/

Also should mention it finds home in the IBC Bank building and will bring more nightlife to the Republic Square district.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2016, 2:00 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Bringing this back to the top because I noticed something yesterday that got me very excited.

There's a bbq trailer called Shugabee's on South Lamar in the Genie Car Wash lot. This trailer has been on a couple of lots out west of Buda the last couple of years. I noticed it had closed and was sad. It was great to see they relocated to Austin.

They do bbq with a twist. They serve it wrapped in giant, housemade tortillas. I'm partial to the pulled pork wrap, but the brisket is good too. My parents like the chicken salad, which includes smoked chicken breast, green apples, black olives, and pecans.

The tortillas are amazing. Personally, I like them better than most TexMex places I frequent.

Here's their site: http://www.shugabees.com/

Please give them a try and Keep Austin Weird!

Old Posted Jan 8, 2016, 2:38 AM
World Traveler

Man, I miss BBQ and Tex-Mex so much...I love Chinese and Thai food, but it's just not home.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2016, 12:10 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
Man, I miss BBQ and Tex-Mex so much...I love Chinese and Thai food, but it's just not home.
I would think that urban Chinese would crave escape from their own culture, and that Texas would be romanticized. It's surprising to me that you can't find Tex-Mex and BBQ there, wouldn't it be a hit? I'm envisioning a mirror image of what we have in the USA, but in this case it's Texas that would be seen as "exotic" and Chinese hipsters would flock to it. No?

edit: upon reflecting for about 5 seconds, I can easily imagine that going to a BBQ or Tex-Mex place in China might be about as satisfying as going to a New York deli in Austin. It's not just the contents, it's also the context. You're not in Texas, and nothing can remedy that situation other than coming home.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2016, 12:26 AM
on the south side

Kerbey Lane, Torchy's, Mighty Fine............repeat

Old Posted Jan 11, 2016, 12:33 AM
World Traveler

Only the biggest cities in China have much of a foreign food option. Shanghai, Beijing, Chengdu, Guangzhou, etc. Kunming has a few good options as well because of a large foreign population, but that's a few hours from me, so I don't get it all the time. In most Chinese cities you can expect the foreign food to be mediocre at best. Most foreign brands appeal more to the Chinese taste (makes sense). KFC, McDonalds, etc., are in a lot of place, but their menus are radically different (not that I ever choose those). The Chinese food is excellent, of course.

I should be back in Austin for bit - I think in June or so. I will get my fill of great Austin food and then immediately start a new workout plan to shave off the pounds that I'll gain from gorging myself...

Old Posted Jan 11, 2016, 12:34 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jowens View Post
Kerbey Lane's Cowboy Queso....mmmm....

Old Posted Jan 11, 2016, 3:18 AM

Has anybody mentioned the bar-bq trailer doing business as Valentina's on Brodie about two blocks south of Convict Hill on the right? It shares a parking lot with a little convenience store and head shop? It has some of the best beef brisket that I have ever tasted. It may be almost as good as the brisket at Franklin's. Yesterday I had a pulled chicken sandwich that was also simply perfect. It gets really crowded at times. There is some outdoor seating. Best time to go is mid afternoon after the rush. I almost hate posting about this place, but I suspect that it won't last in its present incarnation too much longer. It is too good to be true.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/valentinas-tex-mex-bbq-austin

Last edited by austlar1; Jan 11, 2016 at 3:33 AM.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2016, 8:05 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jowens View Post
I like 1 out of those 3.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2016, 8:07 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
Has anybody mentioned the bar-bq trailer doing business as Valentina's on Brodie about two blocks south of Convict Hill on the right? It shares a parking lot with a little convenience store and head shop? It has some of the best beef brisket that I have ever tasted. It may be almost as good as the brisket at Franklin's. Yesterday I had a pulled chicken sandwich that was also simply perfect. It gets really crowded at times. There is some outdoor seating. Best time to go is mid afternoon after the rush. I almost hate posting about this place, but I suspect that it won't last in its present incarnation too much longer. It is too good to be true.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/valentinas-tex-mex-bbq-austin
Thanks. I will check it out.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2016, 9:54 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
I like 1 out of those 3.
You seem like a burger guy....so, Mighty Fine, I'm guessing?

Old Posted Jan 11, 2016, 10:36 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
You seem like a burger guy....so, Mighty Fine, I'm guessing?
Actually, I really like Torchy's.

The other two, I've given chances. Just not my favorite places. I'd rather go to Dan's than MF.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2016, 3:14 PM

I vowed to cut carbs for Q1 as a 2016 resolution. This thread is torture!

Old Posted Jan 11, 2016, 11:43 PM
World Traveler

I like all three...I'm not afraid of any carbs.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2016, 3:51 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbssfelix View Post
I vowed to cut carbs for Q1 as a 2016 resolution. This thread is torture!
Instead of cutting carbs, just cut sugar and over-processed foods. Civilization was built, everywhere it has existed, on the dietary foundation of carbs.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2016, 7:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
Actually, I really like Torchy's.

The other two, I've given chances. Just not my favorite places. I'd rather go to Dan's than MF.
My 1 out of the 3 is Mighty Fine It's about the only new burger place with edible fries. And the burger is basically a supersized version of the In-N-Out style. I love Dan's as well, probably the most underrated of the long-time Austin burger joints.

I do like Torchy's a bit. Would be nicer if they made their own tortillas. Plus with so many good authentic taco places in town, I rarely find myself craving their not-authentic-but-really tasty expensive tacos.

I eat at Kerbey more times than I'd like, simply because they are everywhere now, but I don't think it's anything special.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin