HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jan 24, 2016, 3:05 PM

The company I work for Downtown allows most of the employees to make their own hours. Most people seem to come in to work either before or after the peak morning rush.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2016, 5:04 AM
Austinite

Looking west down 2nd street last night. 500 West 2nd is on the right.

And from below, on San Antonio Street

Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 6:32 PM

2-5-16

Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 8:08 PM

Very nice... Corvairkieth! I notice that The Independent will fill in that gap between Seaholm and 360.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 9:29 PM
Meh

500 West 2nd will fill in an important gap here. The gap between 360 and the W and the way the buildings north of them just barely poked up always looked awkward to me.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 9:43 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
It's been a long while since we've had an announcement of a major tower or development on the West End and adjacent areas.

Everything in the hopper there has been in the hopper for years (The Independent, 5th + West, 500 W. 2nd, Schlosser's "Whole Foods adjacent")

Austin Proper might count and its moving ahead rapidly, but that's just the fruition of a parcel that has been in motion for years.

I'd love to see another new major tower announced in the western stretch soon, or else once these batch of towers is finished, all the action will have shifted to other areas of downtown (particularly the northeast quadrant). I know I've been openly craving this for years, but I really really really do want a few 20-30 story point towers west of Lamar along 5th and 6th as well as much more VMU infill in that area. That, combined with the buildings that fill in the visual gaps in our skyline, would really serve to extend/lengthen and magnify how impressive our skyline already is for a city of our size.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 11:34 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
I know I've been openly craving this for years, but I really really really do want a few 20-30 story point towers west of Lamar along 5th and 6th as well as much more VMU infill in that area. That, combined with the buildings that fill in the visual gaps in our skyline, would really serve to extend/lengthen and magnify how impressive our skyline already is for a city of our size.

I haven't looked too closely at that corridor before, but you'd think it's inevitable it gets developed in the not too distant future. It'd be perfect for what you're describing.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 11:40 PM

I'd be very (pleasantly) surprised if we saw towers that tall on the west side of Lamar. The neighbors in Clarksville would go crazy. Maybe west of Lamar and south of 5th over near the train station if at all. I would settle for high density mixed use along Lamar all the way to House Park.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2016, 1:49 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
It's been a long while since we've had an announcement of a major tower or development on the West End and adjacent areas.

Everything in the hopper there has been in the hopper for years (The Independent, 5th + West, 500 W. 2nd, Schlosser's "Whole Foods adjacent")

Austin Proper might count and its moving ahead rapidly, but that's just the fruition of a parcel that has been in motion for years.

I'd love to see another new major tower announced in the western stretch soon, or else once these batch of towers is finished, all the action will have shifted to other areas of downtown (particularly the northeast quadrant). I know I've been openly craving this for years, but I really really really do want a few 20-30 story point towers west of Lamar along 5th and 6th as well as much more VMU infill in that area. That, combined with the buildings that fill in the visual gaps in our skyline, would really serve to extend/lengthen and magnify how impressive our skyline already is for a city of our size.
Much of that area lies within three capitol view corridors. If you want to build on West 6th, it'll have to be west of West Lynn or east of Blanco. But I do agree that that area is prime for taller density. There are also a few areas in East Austin along the major streets that could support it, and even some along Riverside.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2016, 5:05 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Old Posted Feb 6, 2016, 5:31 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Yes, most of this area is not encumbered by a CVC:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...GA&usp=sharing

I need to update that development map with some more info, though!

Old Posted Feb 12, 2016, 8:33 PM

2-12-16

Old Posted Feb 13, 2016, 1:38 AM

The parking garage looks to be very well disguised, perhaps as well as the BOA building.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2016, 7:33 PM
JACKinBeantown

I can't get over how big the garage is. It could take an hour to get out of the top level during rush hour.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2016, 12:33 AM
World Traveler

Fancy car elevator, maybe...

Old Posted Mar 5, 2016, 2:03 AM

Old Posted Mar 5, 2016, 3:32 AM

Slightly off topic, but I mention this because it dominates the pics, I love 360, but for some reason I never realized how much all those balconies rob it from the beauty of its true form. I guess to me, notched in balconies look better than protruding, and maybe I'm spoiled by the smooth clean lines on The Northshore. And even though they are not nearly as hideous as the balconies on the Four Seasons Residence, they have become a distraction to me now.

Last edited by the Genral; Mar 5, 2016 at 3:43 AM.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2016, 5:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
Slightly off topic, but I mention this because it dominates the pics, I love 360, but for some reason I never realized how much all those balconies rob it from the beauty of its true form. I guess to me, notched in balconies look better than protruding, and maybe I'm spoiled by the smooth clean lines on The Northshore. And even though they are not nearly as hideous as the balconies on the Four Seasons Residence, they have become a distraction to me now.
Also, the "notched in " balconies are more useful and comfortable. They have some shelter from inclement weather and provide a sense of security that is missing (for me certainly since I am terrified of heights) on a balcony open on three sides. Finally there is the privacy factor. Your neighbors don't see you when you are out on an enclosed balcony.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2016, 4:37 PM

^ Agree. Those balconies have a lot of exposure. The only time they truly feel comfortable are for booze-fueled "roof top" party effect (which is typically frowned upon late in the evening).

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 6:30 PM

Today.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin