HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Oct 19, 2011, 7:48 AM

Thank goodness, not the Wheeler had any right to cut down city property. But it was a cedar tree and blow way out of proportion in the first place.

I think he is effectively out of business because of the fiasco as his site has not changed since then. And I haven't seen a new house by him show up on the MLS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCrot View Post
Not hardly. If true, it would have been the front page headline of all the local newspapers, on all the nightly cable and network TV talk shows, and heard about all across the globe. It would also still be fresh in our minds, because we would have been talking about it for the past 3 years straight!

Charge against developer for tree cutting dismissed
By Steven Kreytak | Wednesday, July 8, 2009, 03:23 PM

As expected, the criminal mischief charge against Austin developer Hunter Wheeler — accused of illegally cutting down a tree last year — has been dismissed by Travis County prosecutors.

Neighbors on Daniel Drive in South Austin called police in 2007 after a landscaping crew cut down a large cedar tree in the city-owned right of way.

The workers told the neighbors that Wheeler had told them to cut the tree, which was across from a home Wheeler had built. Neighbors speculated that he wanted to clear the way for a city skyline view from that home.

Wheeler's case had been set on state District Judge Julie Kocurek's jury trial docket today. But prosecutors formally dismissed the felony charge — which is punishable by up to two years in jail — Tuesday, writing in a court paper that Wheeler "has complied with the request of the complainant to their full satisfaction."

Assistant District Attorney Kathryn Scales, who could not be immediately reached today, said for a story on the case in Saturday's Statesman that Wheeler paid for a crew to remove the stump of the cedar tree and planted a live oak tree in its place.

In exchange, Scales said, prosecutors planned to dismiss the case. She said the dismissal was contingent on a city forester confirming that the newly planted tree is healthy and meets the terms of the deal.

City Forester Walter Passmore said Wednesday that he had not inspected the live oak tree and is still waiting for Wheeler to offer a plan on how he is going to care for the tree. He said that Wheeler is responsible for watering and other care to keep the tree alive.

Wheeler did not immediately return a call for comment.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 5:20 AM

AUSTIN | 3 eleven Bowie | 36 FLOORS

(Note- We should all have seen this by now but just thought I'd get the thread going. Austin's explodin!)

Developer unveils new details about planned tower at Fifth and Bowie

By Shonda Novak
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
Published: 9:36 p.m. Thursday, June 14, 2012
E-mail Print Share Larger Type

Austin-based Endeavor Real Estate Group released new details about a planned 36-story tower downtown to the American-Statesman, including that it has lined up the equity for the mixed-use project and has brought the Lynd Co. on as a development partner.

Endeavor and Lynd , a family-owned national real estate company based in San Antonio, plan to break ground on the tower in September, with the first of its 358 apartment units ready for tenants by third quarter 2014. The project is called 3 eleven Bowie, after its address near West Fifth and Bowie streets.

http://www.statesman.com/business/re...t-2399700.html

HKS Architects/HKS ARCHITECTS

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 5:32 AM

KevinFromTexas or other mods, could you merge this with the original Fifth and Bowie thread from last October? I didn't see it on the 2nd page until after I created this one- my apologies.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 5:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvillehorn View Post
(Note- We should all have seen this by now but just thought I'd get the thread going. Austin's explodin!)
This post should probably be added to the end of the existing thread for this project.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=192067

(I like the rendering)

Never mind - you found the other thread

Last edited by LoneStarMike; Jun 15, 2012 at 5:33 AM. Reason: edited because you beat me to it

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 5:41 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Love it! Bring on the cranes.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 6:01 AM

might have been discussed before, but is the tiniest bar in texas gonna be closing down or moving out because of this building?

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 6:57 AM
Meh

Ok, emails sent. I'm hoping to hear back about the building's height. I'm looking forward to this one.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 2:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol24 View Post
might have been discussed before, but is the tiniest bar in texas gonna be closing down or moving out because of this building?
ABJ - "The Austin Business Journal reported in March that Lynd Co. and Endeavor will build 42,586 square feet of office space and 3,385 square feet of retail between the Tiniest Bar in Texas and Gables West Avenue."

mentioned in today's article...dont know how much we should read into it but with the way theyre talking maybe itll be spared? although i cant imagine how thatll work.

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/bl...-downtown.html

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 4:08 PM
~Hook'em~

When the project was first announced they said it wouldn't effect the Tiniest Bar in Texas. I assume that is still the case.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 5:06 PM

With much pride, and little fanfare, I'm announcing the pending constuction of a mile high multi-use project in my backyard!! Seriously people, every day a new building project is brought before the public and sadly most never get off of the ground...I have lost track of the progress on the County office complex(seventy stories),numerous boutique hotels, and a dozen other endeavors...If you're going to annouce it, BUILD it dammit.. WOW, Tom Stacy just knocked on my door...gotta go

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post
With much pride, and little fanfare, I'm announcing the pending constuction of a mile high multi-use project in my backyard!! Seriously people, every day a new building project is brought before the public and sadly most never get off of the ground...I have lost track of the progress on the County office complex(seventy stories),numerous boutique hotels, and a dozen other endeavors...If you're going to annouce it, BUILD it dammit.. WOW, Tom Stacy just knocked on my door...gotta go
You best go answer the door. I bet you and Mr. Stacy can dream up something that never happens.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
You best go answer the door. I bet you and Mr. Stacy can dream up something that never happens.
I am no fan of Mr. Stacy...His philosophy of talk, not build ,is speading to other developers.. Most of the projects announced in the last several years will not be built...maybe the Marriott, but I fear that it is the only one that will be built..Two fifty story buildings in the Rainey St. area...Give me a f---king break...There will be a Sugar's in Saudi Arabia before these, and others, are constructed.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 10:38 PM

Quote:
I am no fan of Mr. Stacy...His philosophy of talk, not build ,is speading to other developers.. Most of the projects announced in the last several years will not be built...maybe the Marriott, but I fear that it is the only one that will be built..Two fifty story buildings in the Rainey St. area...Give me a f---king break...There will be a Sugar's in Saudi Arabia before these, and others, are constructed.
What terrible event in your life has lead to such cynicism? Of all the proposals you can only say maybe on the Marriott? The Marriott has financing and is starting construction any day now. This 3 Eleven project also has financing. Getting financing is the last hurdle. I will agree that the two ~50 story towers on Rainy are among the least likely to get built of all the recently announce projects.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2012, 10:42 PM

Quote:

There will be some projects that will never see the light of day, it's just the way it is. The ones that I don't see ever breaking ground are T. Stacy, 21C, & Capital Tarrace and maybe a few more. But look whats happening now, there is alot of infill taking off. JW Marriott is starting soon The Fairmont will be breaking ground early next year, Seaholm starting next month. There is just so much going on.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2012, 1:26 AM
Meh

I got an email back from Endeavor, the developer of 3 eleven Bowie. It will be 420 feet tall. That's to the top of the mechanical penthouse. He said the occupied space where the pool deck is is just shy of 400 feet. Today it would be our 6th tallest building. 4 feet taller than Ashton, but 14 feet shorter than Spring.

Quote:
From street level 3 Eleven Bowie is just shy of 400’ tall to the top of the occupied space on the pool deck. Then to the top of the mechanical penthouse we are approximately 420’.
That's about what I expected with the height. Remember, it "only" has 36 floors and is 420 feet tall. Ashton is also apartments and has 36 floors and is only 4 feet shorter.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jun 16, 2012, 2:24 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
people said the same thing about the Austonian, 360, Spring ect. There are always going to be some projects that wont get built but Austin has been luckier than most cities and id say the majority of the projects and the best ones get built. I think this new boom will be the same.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2012, 3:42 AM
Meh

My favorite conspiracy theory related to Austin development was that The Austonian would only be half as tall as originally planned. lol

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jun 16, 2012, 4:13 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
I'm disappointed this is shorter than Spring. For aesthetic reasons, I was hoping for 20-30 feet taller.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2012, 4:30 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
I'm disappointed this is shorter than Spring. For aesthetic reasons, I was hoping for 20-30 feet taller.
At first I thought the same but if you think about it, might be perfect. Its gonna be right across the creek from Monarch. So will be the middle height between the two, might help tie the West End skyline together.

Last edited by Jdawgboy; Jun 16, 2012 at 6:06 PM.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2012, 4:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
There will be some projects that will never see the light of day, it's just the way it is. The ones that I don't see ever breaking ground are T. Stacy, 21C, & Capital Tarrace and maybe a few more. But look whats happening now, there is alot of infill taking off. JW Marriott is starting soon The Fairmont will be breaking ground early next year, Seaholm starting next month. There is just so much going on.
The Fairmont will be a true barometer of this latest building boom...It is to be built after the Presidential election and the F1 race... The national economy could be affected by the election and the local lodging demand will be impacted by the USGP.. There is a lot of Austin's future riding on this race..Did I make a pun?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin