HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Feb 2, 2016, 4:15 AM

Once again, Kevin is the voice of reason in today's Water Cooler section of the AAS. The topic was simply about the Proper beginning construction this spring, how its predicted to add the the changing skyline, where its being built, by whom, and when it should be completed. That's all. They published 11 comments, 9 negative, 1 neutral, 1 positive, and that was Kevin's. The negatives; traffic, affordability, messing up town,, monstrosity, booo!, for the elite only, blah, blah, blah, then there is Kevin's..."Its a walkable developement with plenty of public transportation around it. Keep your shirt on, people".
Kevin....keeping it real!!!

Old Posted Feb 2, 2016, 6:32 AM
Meh

Ha! Nice. I was actually accused by one woman as being paid by the developers to "be a mouthpiece for them." - Ha, I wish.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2016, 8:32 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Link?

And how did they contact everyone for their quotes?

Old Posted Feb 2, 2016, 7:45 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
Link?

And how did they contact everyone for their quotes?
^They didn't contact me. I made the comment on Facebook replying to the article that tie_guy posted here back on the 22nd. I tried looking up my original reply to the article to find the link, but I can't seem to find my reply now.

Here's the article link:
http://www.mystatesman.com/news/busi...luxury-/np9tk/

And the AAS Facebook water cooler link:
http://www.statesman.com/news/news/o...-1-2016/nqCr3/

Here's the Facebook comments section to that article. https://www.facebook.com/statesman/p...53976015899208

Old Posted Feb 2, 2016, 9:51 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

I had never even heard of the watercooler. Pretty neat.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2016, 12:58 AM

Quote:
I had never even heard of the watercooler. Pretty neat.
Its in the commentary and editorials at the back of the 'A' section of the AAS. I don't know where or who chooses the topics, but they are usually current and....amusing to read. It has given me reason to believe many people are ignorant.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2016, 1:26 AM
Honored Member

Much as I love the beauty of our skyline, especially in its context by the lake, I do sympathize with people who dislike the increasingly expensive, exclusive, and relatively inaccessible nature of a lot of what's being built. As a delivery driver, I've gone through some changes in attitude since I started my job and have been inside many of the new VMUs and condo towers, along with many of the new restaurants. Places where you could just hang out, wander around, park for free, etc., are being replaced with a ceaseless influx of uppity elitist trendy urbanism, replete with signs everywhere constantly telling you what you can't do. It's super hip and looks really neat and I'm so totally not into it. I want a bumper sticker that says "Don't 04 North Austin" --- not sure if many people would get it, though.

And what's up with the security on these new buildings? Many of them are built like prisons, and I can't imagine wanting to live in such a place! I mean, the often have absolutely NO provision for anyone making deliveries! I got trapped in a building one night and waited 10 minutes for a resident to leave so that I could get out of their parking garage on foot (since all the pedestrian exits had be locked in as well.) Fuck that. I'm grateful to be living in a tract house where I can park my car in the driveway and enjoy a nice back yard. Some of these places, it seems like it would take a minimum of 5 minutes to get from your car to your own front door, and that's just messed up.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2016, 1:32 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Yeah, a lot of these shiny new highrises I'll never step foot in.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2016, 1:53 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
I love having the big ones built, but I would prefer to live in a smaller VMU type or maybe multi-unit new condo building on the outskirts of downtown in whatever newly densifying area eventually.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2016, 2:33 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
I love having the big ones built, but I would prefer to live in a smaller VMU type or maybe multi-unit new condo building on the outskirts of downtown in whatever newly densifying area eventually.
This is where the capitol view corridors will come in handy.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2016, 2:38 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
This is where the capitol view corridors will come in handy.
id actually prefer the periphery for other reasons, though: less busy, greater sense of community, more human scale.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2016, 3:45 AM

Quote:
If there's ever a forum meet up and anyone wants to get a look at the Bowie, I'd love to show you guys around. There are some pretty cool views for us skyscraper lovers.

And Tech House, I agree the security can be a little intense. In the Monarch, people making deliveries could come right to the door. The Bowie doesn't allow anyone up unless you answer the phone and "allow it". The upper level is even more secure and word around the halls is that some high profile person lives there and has their own security team (I think it's the Golden State Warriors owner).

Anyway, what I'd love to see is these new flashy highrises incorporate some more affordable housing within the actual building (like a few floors that may not have the same finishes but come with the amenities at a lower price point). These buildings are mostly filled with young professionals and wealthy retirees, so I wish there were more diversity and broader accessibility. Interestingly, there are quite a few families with young kids and teens who are moving downtown, which I think is a pretty cool trend.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2016, 3:14 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGoesVertical View Post
If there's ever a forum meet up and anyone wants to get a look at the Bowie, I'd love to show you guys around. There are some pretty cool views for us skyscraper lovers.

And Tech House, I agree the security can be a little intense. In the Monarch, people making deliveries could come right to the door. The Bowie doesn't allow anyone up unless you answer the phone and "allow it". The upper level is even more secure and word around the halls is that some high profile person lives there and has their own security team (I think it's the Golden State Warriors owner).
Funny that you find the kind of people who are sports team owners and such who live (or at least own a property in Austin) and yet we can't even get a stadium built for a possible MLS team which seems the most likely scenario for a first pro team.

That's a good topic for the Sports in Austin threat rather than if an NFL team moves to the city neighboring us.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2016, 9:43 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Funny that you find the kind of people who are sports team owners and such who live (or at least own a property in Austin) and yet we can't even get a stadium built for a possible MLS team which seems the most likely scenario for a first pro team.

That's a good topic for the Sports in Austin threat rather than if an NFL team moves to the city neighboring us.
Meh. Sports venues are a waste of money. Even COTA is turning out to be. I can live without them.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2016, 11:55 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Meh. Sports venues are a waste of money. Even COTA is turning out to be. I can live without them.
Perhaps. But maybe it's this opinion that always seems to hamstring AISD from providing top of the line sports facilities. Sports-spending bonds historically get voted down. The latest was in 2014. I wish we could spend more on the football, basketball and baseball stadiums. Compared to others around the state, ours are pretty bad.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 12:17 AM

I find that when walking to/from a downtown residence, the 5 minute elevator wait time is alright, but when driving home from the office, it's a lot nicer to park right in your garage, 3 feet from your front door.

Not saying I wouldn't love a downtown "walk-up", but to me, the elevator was less burdensome as a pedestrian than as a commuter.

Ironically, living in the high rise can make you feel LESS connected with your city and surroundings if the elevators become a barrier that keep you home, indoors.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 1:09 AM

The elevators really aren't that bad when living in a high rise. Actually, it's often nice to bump into people and chat but know that the ride will be over soon and everyone will go on about their business. No awkward "well, I gotta go..." like when engaged in a driveway chat with a neighbor that's grown stale.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2016, 5:57 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Do what I do and don't talk to your neighbors. haha

Old Posted Feb 21, 2016, 8:08 PM

Austin Proper Site

This photo is actually about a month old. I forgot to post it. Anyway, the site is more filled up now. I can't tell if it's staging for the Proper or equipment and material spillover from Google Tower, but I'll get a closer look soon. This photo still provides an interesting view of the Northshore and Google Tower though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin