HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jan 29, 2016, 1:56 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

30' tall convenience store? Sounds like a Bu-cee's.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2016, 2:05 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Nevermind. I looked at the site. Too small for a Buc-ee's.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2016, 2:07 AM
Meh

EDIT: Yeah, that lot is less than 5 acres according to this:

http://www.statesman.com/news/busine...stin-ai/njkGK/
Quote:
The sale involved two tracts. Eastbourne Crossing was the seller of 385.68 acres, while an Eastbourne affiliate sold an adjoining 4.88 acres at the corner of FM 973 and Texas 71.

Koebel and Launius said they and the other new owners had the land under contract most of last year but waited to close until they were sure the contract for some of the nearby road improvements was a done deal. They said improvements being made to Texas 71 and FM 973, which will be expanded from two lanes to a four-lane divided road, will ease bottlenecks in Southeast Austin.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2016, 2:16 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
EDIT: Yeah, that lot is less than 5 acres according to this:

http://www.statesman.com/news/busine...stin-ai/njkGK/
Nice find.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2016, 6:46 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Is there anything in the works for developing the north side of 71 around the airport? When you leave the airport all that's there is a Shell station, vacant lot/building, and some run down looking businesses/bars.

It'd be nice if visitors could see something a little nicer upon arrival.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2016, 6:50 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
Is there anything in the works for developing the north side of 71 around the airport? When you leave the airport all that's there is a Shell station, vacant lot/building, and some run down looking businesses/bars.

It'd be nice if visitors could see something a little nicer upon arrival.
A lot of that land is in the flood plain and undevelopable. It's part of the reason why putting the airport out there was kind of genius, because it least harms property values relative to being placed elsewhere.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2016, 7:39 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
A lot of that land is in the flood plain and undevelopable. It's part of the reason why putting the airport out there was kind of genius, because it least harms property values relative to being placed elsewhere.
Good point. Didn't think of that. I'll look up the flood plain and take a gander.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2016, 6:15 PM
Meh

That whole area out there is prone to flooding. My sister's neighborhood is east of the airport. They were ok, though, they did evacuate during the Halloween flood last year, but there were people in the neighborhood with a couple of inches in their homes. My brother's neighborhood, too, isn't too far from there and it didn't flood, but there were areas nearby that did. That man that was trapped in a tree for several hours was less than a mile from my brother's house. Onion Creek is mean in that part of the city.

Last edited by KevinFromTexas; Jan 29, 2016 at 7:06 PM.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2016, 6:50 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
That whole area out there is prone to flooding. My sister's neighborhood is east of the airport. They were ok, though, they did evacuate during the Halloween flood last year, but there were people in the neighborhood with a couple of inches in their homes. My brother's neighborhood, too, isn't too far from there and it didn't flood, but there were areas nearby that did. That man that was trapped in a tree for several hours was less than a mile from my brother's house. Onion Creek is a mean in part of the city.
Exactly. This is part of the reason why I don't see southern metro growing as much in the future: significant parts of the land across western Hays County and southwestern Travis are undevelopable because of the terrain, significant parts of the land toward the east and southeast are largely undevelopable for reasons related to flooding. Growth will continue, and CAMPO fwiw agrees with my assessment, to be located in the already dense areas and filling in will occur between Austin and San Marcos and around the outskirts of all of Pflugerville, Hutto, Taylor, Round Rock, Georgetown, and Leander/Cedar Park.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2016, 9:41 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

The businesses that are already there can be replaced, right?

Old Posted Jan 29, 2016, 11:37 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Here's a map of the Colorado flood plain in that area: http://www.austintexas.gov/sites/def...8453C0610K.pdf

This is the page that has all the areas around Austin broken into grids like the one above: http://www.austintexas.gov/page/floo...s-and-comments

Can y'all find any other detailed maps like that one?

To me, it shows all those businesses could be replaced with decent retail along 71. I'm not talking homes or apartments. Just some nice looking retail options for when visitors first leave ABIA.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2016, 12:59 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

I just chopped this together to get an idea.

Current view exiting ABIA:

With a little something on that corner:

Old Posted Jan 30, 2016, 1:14 AM

Seems like putting a residential building directly across from an airport would be a tough sell. Unless you were to take a play from my old hometown Mayor.

Quote:
TOLEDO, Ohio, Nov. 5— Mayor Carty Finkbeiner suggested at a staff meeting that a way to resolve complaints about airport noise would be to move deaf people into the neighborhood.
http://www.nytimes.com/1994/11/06/us...-deafness.html

Old Posted Jan 30, 2016, 2:15 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvairkeith View Post
Seems like putting a residential building directly across from an airport would be a tough sell. Unless you were to take a play from my old hometown Mayor.

http://www.nytimes.com/1994/11/06/us...-deafness.html
No, I said not residential. I just used that building as a placeholder for a nice building. It was at the right angle. haha It'd certainly have to be retail.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2016, 8:30 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

BuildingATX must have done some research after Kevin saw that: http://buildingatx.com/2016/01/mixed...ia-renderings/

Big mixed use project going in at the corner of 71/130.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2016, 1:30 PM
World Traveler

Looks pretty suburban, but I guess that makes sense down there. In either case, it'll be a good use for the land around the airport.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2016, 2:23 PM

I'm guessing orientation matters also. I'm not absolutely sure where the flight paths are, but just looking at the orientation of the runways, it seems like east of the airport would have fewer planes directly overhead than north of the airport.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2016, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
I'm guessing orientation matters also. I'm not absolutely sure where the flight paths are, but just looking at the orientation of the runways, it seems like east of the airport would have fewer planes directly overhead than north of the airport.
I don't think I've ever seen aircraft directly above that area. They are typically further north and south lining up with the runways.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2016, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
Here's a map of the Colorado flood plain in that area: http://www.austintexas.gov/sites/def...8453C0610K.pdf

This is the page that has all the areas around Austin broken into grids like the one above: http://www.austintexas.gov/page/floo...s-and-comments

Can y'all find any other detailed maps like that one?

To me, it shows all those businesses could be replaced with decent retail along 71. I'm not talking homes or apartments. Just some nice looking retail options for when visitors first leave ABIA.
You can always use the COA website to see the floodplain.

http://www.austintexas.gov/GIS/Devel...ap/Viewer.aspx

On the Map Layers open Floodplain then zoom in and choose Greater Austin Fully Developed Floodplain (last one).

Old Posted Feb 14, 2016, 5:44 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin