HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Apr 5, 2015, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarMike View Post
This was mentioned in the recent article in the Austin American Statesman about 70 Rainey:

While it's good to see more development along S. Lamar, I'll miss the La Feria neon sign.

That and the Horseshoe Lounge sign are/were some of the best neon along S. Lamar.
That same article also said they purchased land at 9th St and Waller Creek. That could end up being a decent sized project.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2015, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
That same article also said they purchased land at 9th St and Waller Creek. That could end up being a decent sized project.
Unless they bury I-35 and remove the CVCs through there, it's height will be limited.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2015, 11:56 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Hmmm office building... What are everyones thoughts about that? There's an office building further up Lamar near the 290-71/360 interchange but it makes more sense in that area. The building itself is an ugly 80s era box.

On the one hand, it could lead to people who would work there to move into the nearby VMUs negating the need to drive to work and if the design is nice it could end up being a great addition to the area.

On the other hand, it may not make the best fit and those who choose not to live close by could exasperate traffic. With no other major roadways besides Oltorf that would pose an issue. It's also safe to assume that the building wouldn't be any taller than the surrounding VMUs and lets be honest, most low to midrise office buildings leave much to be desired when it comes to design. There's ground floor retail to consider too. If they don't incorporate any then it would be a dead spot at night and on weekends.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 12:48 AM

April 16, 2015

Greenview Condominiums

I didn't get a photo, but across the street, the Wendy's has been completely torn down and there's a banner on the fence saying "In N Out Burger Coming Soon!"

Lamar Union

I forget which forum member is dying for Shake Shake to open, but it looks like it will be very soon. There's furniture inside, hiring signs posted in the windows, signage on the building and two guys were inside sitting at a table doing paperwork.

In other news, I found this:

SpawGlass starting affordable rent building for Austin's Foundation Communities
February 25, 2015

Quote:
SpawGlass will be constructing a second multi-story residential building for Austin-based Foundation Communities.

Dedicated for low-income tenants of the inner city, Bluebonnet Studios will consist of 107 efficiency units in a single level, cast-in-place concrete garage-podium structure. Located at 2301 S. Lamar Blvd., the project is an 8-minute drive by bus or car from downtown.

“This particular project is a $15 million job. It will have 60,000 square feet of air-conditioned space,” said Jeff Eubank, the project executive at SpawGlass.

Eubank estimated construction would begin at the start of summer and reach completion by July or August of 2016.
Rendering:

Source: Forge Craft Architecture

There's some other smaller renderings there as well.

There was a different version - also called Bluebonnet Studios - that was supposed to be built at the Goodwill site on S. Lamar, but that one fell through. This one is located at 2301 S. Lamar where Kyle Chapman Motors used to be. They closed in October of 2014 (according to the sign on the door) but the existing building hasn't been torn down yet.

I think it looks pretty good for affordable housing and I love the little pops of color. So far, my two favorite project on S. Lamar are The 704 and Lamar Union, because both projects use a lot of color, unlike The Hanover and the Cielo at Lamar/Manchaca.

And finally, I'm going to conclude with a little wine-fueled rant.

Some of you old-timers may remember this photo I took in March, 2010 of the skyline at night.

I uploaded it over at Wikimedia Commons, and someone made a second version, where they lightened it, and cropped it and it was the main photo on the Austin Wikipedia page.

You can see both versions here (Scroll down to File History.)

Soooo.... I'm walking down South Lamar the other day, and out of the corner of my eye I notice a HUGE version of my photo in the window of the Barton Hills Food Mart. At first, I was flattered - until I looked closer

Anyone else see the problem?

Don't Mess With Texas and Don't you DARE Mess With Our Skyline!

Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 1:00 AM

LOL. Somebody couldn't do a three piece puzzle.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 1:47 AM

I Know. LOL. And it can't be changed because it's basically thick contact paper applied to the outside of the windows.

BTW, I found two more renderings of one of the retail shops at Lamar Union.

Forge Craft Architecture

This flyer (pdf file) from Stream Realty shows one of the leased spaces "OX + Bar." Maybe it's for them.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2015, 6:05 PM

Looks like another small project (Loro Restaurant) is planned for 2115 S. Lamar

https://www.austintexas.gov/devrevie...erRSN=11285060

link to Google Street View

I sure hope they don;t have to get rid of those heritage trees. They're some of the pretiest trees on that stretch of S. Lamar.

This place they're wanting to tear down used to be an old tire store.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 12:50 AM
Meh

That's cool about your photo, Mike. I'd be in the store nagging them to fix it. And you really should get some compensation for that photo. It's being used in a commercial way and being seen by a lot of people. You should at least get credit for it.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 1:02 AM

If you upload stuff to wikimedia, you can't turn around and ask for compensation. And anyone is free to alter your photo. (And boy, did they ever.)

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 3:03 PM

Here's a tower crane permit filing for Bluebonnet Studios at 2301 S. Lamar at Del Curto Rd. I haven't been keeping up with SoLa (ugh) projects so maybe I missed this one.

https://www.austintexas.gov/devrevie...erRSN=11336418

Old Posted Apr 23, 2015, 4:01 PM

I posted the article and the rendering in reply #384. Here's the rendering again.

Forge Craft Architecture

Old Posted Apr 24, 2015, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Hmmm office building... What are everyones thoughts about that?
Re: Sackman Enterprises (possible) office project on S. Lamar. I'm wondering if the American Statesman might have misquoted him. I found this on another page about Sackman in Austin.

Quote:
For the past few years, Sackman has closely monitored Austin’s rise as the fastest growing city in the United States. To date, Sackman has closed on a site in downtown Austin’s lively music and restaurant-filled Rainey Street. as well as another in the quickly emerging South Lamar boulevard corridor. Both are planned as future multifamily developments.
Source

Maybe some kind of mixed use project with office space on the bottom and residential above?

Old Posted Jul 17, 2015, 10:58 PM
Meh

Lamar Flats site plan.

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/...lats_pLANS.pdf

This is the project replacing the Golden Corral.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 2:14 PM

This one kind of saddens me... I'm not a fan of Golden Corral and wont miss it. I will miss the +60 trees or 785 Caliper inches that will be cut down for Lamar Flats. That is over 75% of all the trees on the lot. Sure, some replacements trees will be planted per code but it wont equal what will be taken away. Too bad a little more could have been incorporated into the development. So say goodbye to the nice little forested area along Lamar next time you pass by.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 8:06 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTM-ATX View Post
This one kind of saddens me... I'm not a fan of Golden Corral and wont miss it. I will miss the +60 trees or 785 Caliper inches that will be cut down for Lamar Flats. That is over 75% of all the trees on the lot. Sure, some replacements trees will be planted per code but it wont equal what will be taken away. Too bad a little more could have been incorporated into the development. So say goodbye to the nice little forested area along Lamar next time you pass by.
I agree. Sure these new VMUs are creating density where there wasn't before but even they could be more dense with a smaller footprint. They take up quite a bit of space and could be a bit taller up to 10 floors. That would free up more ground to keep for green spaces. Of course the developers only look at it in terms of the cheapest way to build. It would be more expensive so why make a project more expensive than it has to be? As far as impact on water runoff this type of density gets low scores. When we start to see 8 to 10 story residential midrises without the giant parking garages in the middle then we will finally get all the environmental benefits that come with real sustainable density.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 8:58 PM
Meh

I wonder why more courtyard style projects aren't being done to preserve the trees. I went to Crockett High School, and one of the things I loved most about the campus were the huge Live Oaks in the courtyard. Actually, there were two courtyards, and both had trees in them. I know those spaces are usually reserved for things like pools like at AMLI Downtown, but they could leave the courtyard for a lawn or garden with the trees, and have the pool on the roof instead.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jul 18, 2015, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
I agree. Sure these new VMUs are creating density where there wasn't before but even they could be more dense with a smaller footprint. They take up quite a bit of space and could be a bit taller up to 10 floors. That would free up more ground to keep for green spaces. Of course the developers only look at it in terms of the cheapest way to build. It would be more expensive so why make a project more expensive than it has to be? As far as impact on water runoff this type of density gets low scores. When we start to see 8 to 10 story residential midrises without the giant parking garages in the middle then we will finally get all the environmental benefits that come with real sustainable density.
The height limit in CS-V is 60 feet unless there is SF nearby, in which case it's less. 60 feet = 4-5 stories max. Developers would build taller if they could.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2015, 11:43 PM

Bluebonnet Studios

7/26, from Forge Craft Architecture's FB Page:

Old Posted Jan 8, 2016, 12:19 AM
Meh

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Feb 1, 2016, 8:18 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStarMike View Post
Looks like another small project (Loro Restaurant) is planned for 2115 S. Lamar

https://www.austintexas.gov/devrevie...erRSN=11285060

link to Google Street View

I sure hope they don;t have to get rid of those heritage trees. They're some of the pretiest trees on that stretch of S. Lamar.

This place they're wanting to tear down used to be an old tire store.

Looks like the heritage oaks aren't being harmed, so far: https://www.google.com/maps/@30.2480...7i13312!8i6656

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin