HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Nov 8, 2015, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
this is the future unfortunate present of downtown austin. Assholes driving suvs who live downtown.
fify.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2015, 2:10 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
I might suggest a safety improvement for the Bowie as in speed bumps at the exits. We (as pedestrians on the sidewalk) almost got run over this morning when an SUV traveling 15mph barreled out of this location:

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.2691...8i6656!6m1!1e1
I find it nerve-wracking as a driver to deal with garage exits in heavy pedestrian areas. It seems like they should be able to design them in such a way that there is a clear view of what's happening on the sidewalk instead of relying on those warped wide-angle mirrors. My brain can't make sense of those things, so I just inch up toward the sidewalk very slowly, constantly on the lookout. I can't imagine exiting a parking garage at 15 or even 10 mph. It's playing Russian roulette with other people's lives. You're right, speed bumps in those spots would be a good partial fix for this problem.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2015, 3:37 AM

The only damage I have had to any of my vehicles over the past 20 years was inside of a parking garage at an apartment I was living at several years ago. I parked on the fifth level, and it could be a game of Russian Roulette getting out of it it during the morning and evening rush hours. I had to suddenly veer into a cement pillar to avoid a vehicle that was speeding around the corner between levels. The A-hole driving the other car was not paying any attention whatsoever.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2015, 5:08 AM
Meh

I didn't see the car, but earlier this year there was a guy in some muscle car doing donuts at the top of the Quarters parking garage in West Campus. That garage is 10 levels. I was getting ready to leave, and when I did he had made tire tracks and there was smoke from his tires.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2015, 5:33 AM
Honored Member

I'm still driving the 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe I bought new, and the only damage to it occurred just 2 weeks after I bought it. I was moving into a one-bedroom apartment at The Statehouse on South Congress, and while backing up at about 1 mph in the darkness of the parking garage, with houseplants blocking my view of one of the steel support I-beams, I smacked into it. Crunch. Left tail light took it on the nose. Got the light fixed but couldn't afford the rest of the repairs.

That apartment "only" cost $900 a month in 2004. Can't imagine what it goes for today. It was a fantastic location, except during the ROT rally. I was there for two years of that deafening fiasco. It should be illegal to make so much noise without good reason.

The art of thread drift...

Old Posted Nov 12, 2015, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
The only damage I have had to any of my vehicles over the past 20 years was inside of a parking garage at an apartment I was living at several years ago. I parked on the fifth level, and it could be a game of Russian Roulette getting out of it it during the morning and evening rush hours. I had to suddenly veer into a cement pillar to avoid a vehicle that was speeding around the corner between levels. The A-hole driving the other car was not paying any attention whatsoever.
In my garage that I have been using at my new apt, the high percentage of fast moving cars are driven by the women, they drive right down the middle at least 15mph around the corners, and a few holding their phone. Sorry to single out the women but I'd say in my garage they are the ones ignoring other drivers the most.

Except the large muscular fully fit guy that parks in the handicapped spot daily and does not have or post a hang tag or have plates for a handicap.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2015, 9:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanwolf View Post
In my garage that I have been using at my new apt, the high percentage of fast moving cars are driven by the women, they drive right down the middle at least 15mph around the corners, and a few holding their phone. Sorry to single out the women but I'd say in my garage they are the ones ignoring other drivers the most.

Except the large muscular fully fit guy that parks in the handicapped spot daily and does not have or post a hang tag or have plates for a handicap.
A valve stem remover and four flat tires....daily...may alter his parking 'privileges'.

Old Posted Nov 13, 2015, 12:59 AM

And just a friendly reminder:

Sec. 552.006. USE OF SIDEWALK........
(c) The operator of a vehicle emerging from or entering an alley, building, or private road or driveway shall yield the right-of-way to a pedestrian approaching on a sidewalk extending across the alley, building entrance or exit, road, or driveway.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2016, 6:06 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer
I found a render for this tower. Not sure if I like the massing, but the facade treatment looks interesting and different.

Image source: http://www.donotdestroy.com/blog/200...david-bowie-3/

I'd forgottena about this post until today.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=192068

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin