HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects

Boardwalk at Bricktown - Legends Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Oklahoma City Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 6:53 PM

Oklahoma city | legends tower | 1907ft/581m | ?floors

Full funding secured for US tallest skyscraper says developer
Ben Dreith
Dezeen
March, 11 2024
https://www.dezeen.com/2024/03/11/le...nding-secured/

Funding has been secured and construction may begin in September on the Legends Tower in Oklahoma City, which is planned to be the tallest in USA, says developer Scot Matteson.

Designed by Californian architecture studio AO, the Legends Tower supertall skyscraper planned for Oklahoma City is fully funded as of early March, according to reporting in local news outlet The Oklahoman.

Matteson said that he has secured the $1.5 billion required for the skyscraper, along with three smaller towers around it, collectively known as the Boardwalk at Bricktown.

If completed, the skyscraper will rise 1,907 feet (581 metres) in the air, making it the tallest in the United States and the fifth tallest in the world.

Construction may begin in early autumn

Matteson said that preparations on the site could begin as early as June.

"We will be first getting a grading and infrastructure permit," said Matteson, who has reportedly partnered with local construction consultants Thinkbox and engineering firm Thornton Tomasetti for the tower.

"And then we will get a building permit in September. The entire project is financed, including the tower — if the tower gets approved."....................................................................................................................click link for more

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 7:23 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
That link has been posted several times already... it's a claim made by the developer only which has yet to be independently verified so far as I can tell. Maybe I'm being unfair but to me this Scott Matteson guy gives off major scam artist vibes... so I'll believe this claim when I see proof of it.
While I agree I also read this, which if true, gives him some credibility.

How reliable are these news sources? I'm not familiar with them.

Quote:
Matteson was also a 50% partner in building the $20 billion Worldcenter in Miami, Florida, which spans 10 blocks that were mostly parking lots surrounding the Kaseya Center, home of the NBA's Miami Heat.
The proposal (and rendering) does kind of have an air of illegitimacy to it but hey, if they can pull it off they can pull it off.

I remember how skeptical people were of Burj Khalifa and so many projects in China that eventually happened. There will always be naysayers.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
While I agree I also read this, which if true, gives him some credibility.

How reliable are these news sources? I'm not familiar with them.

The proposal (and rendering) does kind of have an air of illegitimacy to it but hey, if they can pull it off they can pull it off.

I remember how skeptical people were of Burj Khalifa and so many projects in China that eventually happened. There will always be naysayers.
I love your positivity. Back in the 1960s people would say the idea of the Arch was stupid and would never work but look at it today. Matterson wants to build a 134 story 1,907 foot skyscraper built in OKC and I would like to see an icon with an observation deck 500 feet AGL built in Wichita. I think the final height would be around 550 to 570 feet foot tall. Do people honestly think if these were built they would never be used at all? It is almost like people don't believe tourism will happen or just flat out scared of it. It is time to get up with the times people.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 9:28 PM

Uhm when has he ever been part of the Worldcenter Development? This is so sketchy.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 9:56 PM

The admin on OKCTalk is almost angrily denying that this has any chance at all of happening. He seems almost bitter about it.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 10:14 PM

I missed what happened at the ending of the previous thread . Also, I was and still am mostly in that boat as well. Regardless, we can keep it classy and see how it goes. There are multiple sources now saying funding is clinched, however, the location, process, and height the developer is engaging in is suspect.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 10:24 PM

My only hope is that, if they start construction, they finish it. I would hate to see a stalled concrete husk sitting there for decades.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 10:30 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanImpact View Post
I missed what happened at the ending of the previous thread . Also, I was and still am mostly in that boat as well. Regardless, we can keep it classy and see how it goes. There are multiple sources now saying funding is clinched, however, the location, process, and height the developer is engaging in is suspect.
This thread is still open, no need to start a new one. If this project moves forward, the thread will as well.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 10:47 PM
Future God

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanImpact View Post
Again though, the lone "source" of these multiple sources, is the "developer" himself, who also claims to be a part of multiple companies nobody can find any evidence of. So I don't know... it's all just super fishy.

-Bob Marley

Last edited by BnaBreaker; Mar 14, 2024 at 3:26 AM.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2024, 7:53 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnaBreaker View Post
Again though, the lone "source" of these multiple sources, is the "developer" himself, who also claims to be a part of multiple companies nobody can find any evidence of. So I don't know... it's all just super fishy.

This is why I was asking if those sources (the publishers) are credible. Wouldn't he have to prove it (both funding and being involved in the Miami project) before they published the article?

tbh, while not remotely necessary obviously, 1.5 bn isn't really that far fetched when you consider some other projects USA has built.

In the long run it'll also put OKC on the map.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2024, 3:07 PM

I suppose I should drop these in here for any enthusiasts. Many of us still have our doubts, but the more stuff comes out the harder it becomes to ignore. Seems there's a logistics debate about the height between the proposed development and the nearby military airfield.

I could be wrong, but it seems like if things don't fly over with the airbase, it would get reduced in height.

Also sourced these from OKCTalk.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2024, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFAA Alum View Post
I suppose I should drop these in here for any enthusiasts. Many of us still have our doubts, but the more stuff comes out the harder it becomes to ignore. Seems there's a logistics debate about the height between the proposed development and the nearby military airfield.

I could be wrong, but it seems like if things don't fly over with the airbase, it would get reduced in height.

Also sourced these from OKCTalk.
Where is the observation deck lobby located.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 5:50 PM
Big City Enthusiast

key things to consider:

1) Legends Tower will be located in a patchwork of land that is inbetween zoning districts known as Lower Bricktown (between Reno and OKC Boulevard). It is not subject to any design regulations, overlay, other than height which is currently 300 feet and an agreement between the Oklahoma City Urban Renewal Authority and the original developer, Randy Hogan, who is a principal in this Boardwalk at Bricktown development team.

I believe this project is already approved to 345' by the city, Developer is applying for a variance to 1907' - which very likely won't be opposed. April 11 is the meeting with the Oklahoma City Planning Commission.

2) The FAA likely wont oppose either, since this is nowhere near any flight restrictions for Will Rogers Oklahoma City International Airport. The application, as I understand it, is more or less just informing the FAA.

3) TIK (military airfield known as Tinker AirForce base) does have flight restrictions nearby but I believe it is confirmed that Legends Tower (and most/all of downtown for that matter) is not in alignment with the cross-wind runway approach path, so there shouldn't be any opposition from them either.

Once developer gets Planning Commision approval, which is likely this week - then they can seek construction permits. This thing could very well get started within months this summer.

Here is link to the Oklahoma City planning commision review: https://okc.primegov.com/api/compile...6-e120fd9df71b

* Special thanks to LokoAko at OKCTalk for most of the details/links.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 5:52 PM
Big City Enthusiast

^ the main observation deck will be located on top of the Legends tower supertall tower. You can see the location of the supertall in the dotted line in the SW (lower left) portion of the rendering. The observation will be at floor 134 along with a restaurant spanning 133-134 at the very top.

I 'think' there may be additional observation/rooftop decks as well in the other buildings and on top of the podium (which is 9 storeys, wow).

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 8:21 PM
Big City Enthusiast

Update April 11 - Approved today by OKC Planning Commission; removing height restriction on the site consistent with the OKC Central Business District [DTD](unlimited building height).

They’re still waiting for FAA approval, indicates about 70% complete.

Next is City Council approval (June?) and then permitting/build. They noted that Legends Tower ‘May’ be built concurrently with the other three towers or it may be phased. Interesting in that previous language always had the super tall as a second phase after the three shorter towers - now it may all go up at once.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2024, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Rod View Post
key things to consider:

1) Legends Tower will be located in a patchwork of land that is inbetween zoning districts known as Lower Bricktown (between Reno and OKC Boulevard). It is not subject to any design regulations, overlay, other than height which is currently 300 feet and an agreement between the Oklahoma City Urban Renewal Authority and the original developer, Randy Hogan, who is a principal in this Boardwalk at Bricktown development team.

I believe this project is already approved to 345' by the city, Developer is applying for a variance to 1907' - which very likely won't be opposed. April 11 is the meeting with the Oklahoma City Planning Commission.

2) The FAA likely wont oppose either, since this is nowhere near any flight restrictions for Will Rogers Oklahoma City International Airport. The application, as I understand it, is more or less just informing the FAA.

3) TIK (military airfield known as Tinker AirForce base) does have flight restrictions nearby
but I believe it is confirmed that Legends Tower (and most/all of downtown for that matter) is not in alignment with the cross-wind runway approach path, so there shouldn't be any opposition from them either.

Once developer gets Planning Commision approval, which is likely this week - then they can seek construction permits. This thing could very well get started within months this summer.

Here is link to the Oklahoma City planning commision review: https://okc.primegov.com/api/compile...6-e120fd9df71b

* Special thanks to LokoAko at OKCTalk for most of the details/links.
This could potentially lead to developers building 2,000 foot tall skyscrapers in New York City and Chicago so that those cities would compete with Oklahoma City.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2024, 4:55 AM
DENNAB

Nice, good news.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 2:32 AM

Who in their right mind would build this in Oklahoma City?

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 5:14 AM
Big City Enthusiast

youll see

Old Posted Yesterday, 11:49 PM
DENNAB

Supposedly it was approved but this was from dailymail.co.uk. Not sure how accurate the source is.

America's tallest skyscraper Legends Tower WILL be built in Oklahoma City as construction gets green light to start within just two months - after shock last minute design change

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...per-built.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects