HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 2:42 AM

LA thrives and its had a struggling downtown area just like Phoenix. They have both made big strides though within the last decade.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 2:43 AM

LA thrives and its had a struggling downtown area just like Phoenix. They have both made big strides though within the last decade.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 3:50 AM

Downtown LA always had a very strong economic impact. The complaint is LA does not have a strong residential base and dies after working hours (which is the comparison to Phoenix).

My argument is that Phoenix is not at that point where Downtown Phoenix can support a metropolitan from an economic standpoint. Pump money into downtown and once we get that solid base, focus more towards on the out skirts. Not sprawl for the sake of sprawling (there is really no reason to sprawl at this point because it is not like in-fill land/space is going at high premiums).

Old Posted Oct 26, 2010, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwonger06 View Post
Downtown LA always had a very strong economic impact. The complaint is LA does not have a strong residential base and dies after working hours (which is the comparison to Phoenix).

My argument is that Phoenix is not at that point where Downtown Phoenix can support a metropolitan from an economic standpoint. Pump money into downtown and once we get that solid base, focus more towards on the out skirts. Not sprawl for the sake of sprawling (there is really no reason to sprawl at this point because it is not like in-fill land/space is going at high premiums).
Sprawling from where? It's not as though the entire metro ends at this location. As much as I would like to see much more development in downtown Phoenix, I'm not the one actually building it and I think any type of development in the valley right now is a plus considering the economy - If it's not happening downtown, the fact that something positive could be happening in the West Valley instead of always happening in the East Valley is an extra plus.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2011, 8:36 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Valley pair hopes to build soccer stadium in west Phoenix

Pair have land, fields, will to guide project

8 comments by David Madrid - Feb. 15, 2011 11:13 AM
The Arizona Republic

Ken Sheely and David Cameron have a dream of building a soccer stadium in the West Valley.

They have a prime location at Loop 101 and Interstate 10 called the Westside Complex.

They have a great start with 17 soccer fields that host the Arizona Hammers Soccer Club and tournaments.

For the past two weeks, the Westside Complex has hosted Major League Soccer training and scrimmages.

Games at Westside Complex

Sheely, a 56-year-old Litchfield Park resident and farmer, funds the Westside Complex, on 167 acres of his land in Phoenix.

Cameron, 35, is a local soccer legend who has worked for years to create a soccer buzz in the Valley. He has had his share of disappointment, but he believes in soccer and the future he is building with Sheely.

He is confident they will build the 5,000-seat stadium, because he said when he and Sheely put their minds to something, they get it done. The stadium could host Major League Soccer and potentially a local pro team, he said.

"We think we can be an economic stimulus to the west side," Cameron said. "We live in the West Valley and we care for it, and something like this in addition to the Cardinals stadium and Coyotes stadium, we would like to add another stadium that is soccer specific that people can be a part of. We want people to come to the west side, and the more people who come to the West Valley, the better our teams are going to be."

Sheely has been willing to spend his money to create the complex and build soccer. To further show his commitment to growth, the Arizona Hammers hired Roberto Beall as director of coaching. Beall, 46, a north Phoenix resident, is a professional who has played soccer at various levels in Colombia, Nigeria, Uruguay and Brazil.

But finding money to help build the stadium comes with a new set of challenges.

The trio plans to approach Phoenix and the surrounding cities that benefit from the business the soccer fields generate to help them out. Those cities are Avondale, which is across the street; Tolleson, which is about a half-mile away; and Goodyear, which is also close.

The intersection at 99th Avenue and McDowell Road was rated among the Valley's hottest intersections by Arizona realty professionals in 2007. That intersection, a half-mile from the complex, is shared by Avondale, Tolleson and Phoenix. Avondale and Tolleson have significant retail businesses there.

The "hot corner" selection was based on developments, nearby population, traffic counts, median incomes, zoning and land use.

But the Westside Complex faces a couple of significant problems in finding public money: The cities are operating with reduced revenues since the Great Recession took its toll. And there is great uncertainty because of the state Legislature, which may take future increases in state-shared revenue, and possibly, some city tax money.

Sharolyn Hohman, president and CEO of the Southwest Valley Chamber of Commerce, said a soccer stadium would surely draw more people to the Southwest Valley. She said the stadium would be a great project, and it makes sense.

But she cited the economic uncertainty the Legislature has created.

Nevertheless, she complimented Sheely on getting things done and not waiting around for anyone to do things for him. Dan Davis, Avondale's economic development director, said he believes a soccer stadium would fit well with the city's strategic focus on amateur sports and tourism.

As for Avondale helping the Westside Complex build its stadium, Davis said he hasn't heard anything from Sheely so he can't speculate.

The city is always willing to listen, though, he said.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/community/s...#ixzz1E3syMuUg
I'm not sure why these folks think a 5K seat stadium could host a MLS team, those stadiums are 15-20K. Additionally if PHX was ever to have a MLS team it would have to be a domed stadium since they play their games in the summer.

The Westside does seem like a good place for soccer though, more fitting than Hockey due to the large Hispanic population. I also imagine MLS or a AAA sort of soccer league tickets would be way cheaper than NHL and that would fit in nicely with the more working class nature of the near West side.

And of course the potential for a major sports facility right along McDowell Road would be yet another reason to keep the LRT off of the I-10 and along surface streets, but the Valley Metro idiots refuse to listen.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2011, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
I'm not sure why these folks think a 5K seat stadium could host a MLS team, those stadiums are 15-20K. Additionally if PHX was ever to have a MLS team it would have to be a domed stadium since they play their games in the summer.

The Westside does seem like a good place for soccer though, more fitting than Hockey due to the large Hispanic population. I also imagine MLS or a AAA sort of soccer league tickets would be way cheaper than NHL and that would fit in nicely with the more working class nature of the near West side.

And of course the potential for a major sports facility right along McDowell Road would be yet another reason to keep the LRT off of the I-10 and along surface streets, but the Valley Metro idiots refuse to listen.

Why do we need to build a MLS-specific stadium? What is wrong with using the approach Seattle and the Sounders did? Use UoP and only sell tickets to the lower bowl/suites. They had sell advertising on a tarp covering the upper seats.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2011, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempe_Duck View Post
Why do we need to build a MLS-specific stadium? What is wrong with using the approach Seattle and the Sounders did? Use UoP and only sell tickets to the lower bowl/suites. They had sell advertising on a tarp covering the upper seats.
They could certainly do that as well but even with tarps on the upper bowl the stadium Im sure feels a bit empty. I've gone to the Insight Bowl at Sun Devil and the North upper end zone is tarp covered and even that feels odd and kinda lame, I can't imagine a whole upper level.

Though if PHX was ever granted a MLS team perhaps they could play at UofP for the first few years and if they proved popular then a stadium could be built. I was really only making a point that it seemed odd that the people behind this project mentioned a 5K seat stadium and MLS teams in the same breath.

Apparently this facility already hosts Soccer spring training which I didn't even know was such a thing. Perhaps if the MLS ever gained in popularity that could be something the Valley could really pursue. Between this West Valley facility and the huge Reach 11 Soccer facility up North maybe we'd have something. Plus I'd bet some of the Baseball Spring Training Facilities could be converted to host soccer too if the schedules don't overlap.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2011, 4:22 PM

I will tell you right now that Qwest Field does not ever seem empty. 38k people standing and chanting for 90 minutes creates the best environment in pro sports in America. There is nothing like it. Just do a search for ECS or Sounders on YouTube and you'll see what I mean. You really don't even notice the upper stands because you're watching the action on the pitch and because every seat in the lower bowl is sold out and packed. We average over twice the attendance of the next closest team though. While we are a great example, out approach is not one that should be mimicked. Other teams that play/played in football stadiums suffered from that empty feeling. DC United plays in RFK and the place is like a tomb it is so quiet. You really need the right combination of fans to fill such a large space. I don't think Phoenix is there considering no one goes to the Saguaros matches.

A 5000 seat stadium, if designed correctly, could be expanded to the 12-15k that would be needed for an MLS club. They converted PGE Park (the AAA-baseball Portland Beaver's stadium) into a soccer specific stadium for the Timbers without much work and I am sure that you could do the same to any of the older Spring Training parks if needed. In fact, the old Compadre stadium would be a great place for a MLS club.

As far as MLS Spring Training goes, they started it last year. A bunch of teams train down in Casa Grande on the site of the old SF Giants spring training home. It has been converted over to a soccer facility. You can see the photos I took out there last year here
Other teams play at Reach 11 and a few other facilities around town. It is a somewhat disorganized environment with nowhere near the collective cooperation of MLB's Cactus League. It is in its infancy though.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2011, 4:19 AM

Peoria Sports Complex area to get more urban

Heading to Peoria Sports Complex for spring training this season? Take some “before” photos now.

If an ambitious project comes to fruition, the “after” photos would boast a four-star boutique hotel, a three-story parking structure, retail shops and restaurants on what is currently a city-owned 17-acre parking lot west of the spring-training ballpark.

The complex is the spring home of the San Diego Padres and Seattle Mariners and the city's big destination spot.

The Peoria City Council on Tuesday is set to enter into exclusive negotiations to hash out the feasibility of developing the parking lot, east of 83rd Avenue and south of Paradise Lane.

The city put out a request for proposals several months ago. Osage West LLC, a partnership between local developer Mike Oliver and Osage, LLC, a business entity of Osage Nation of Oklahoma, was the only group to respond.

The group is also in talks with Peoria to build an airport and an airpark in north Peoria.

The developer’s proposal dubbed the $129 million project the Peorian, including $50 million for a mix of retail, restaurants and housing, $35 million for a 136-room four-star hotel and $44 million for parking structures.

The proposal said Peoria would benefit from $160 million from construction, sales, rental and hotel occupancy taxes and the salaries paid to employees.

The project could begin by this summer to have parking structures ready for the start of the 2012 spring training season.

A staff memo to council said the city is open to negotiating a public-private partnership for the “financing, acquisition, development, and operation of the project.”

The city would pay for title, environmental, physical, engineering, financial, and feasibility studies, and other analyses. In the request for proposals, Peoria offered to enter into long-term ground lease at subsidized rates, or consider selling the land.

The city’s level of participation in the project remains unclear and likely will be a point of upcoming negotiations.

For more on the proposal, see Tuesday’s city council agenda here

Or watch the council meeting online

The meeting starts at 7 p.m. at City Hall, 8401 W. Monroe St.

From AZcentral.com

Old Posted Mar 26, 2011, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Time running out on Glendale USA Basketball deal

13 comments by Rebekah L. Sanders - Mar. 25, 2011 11:47 AM
The Arizona Republic

Valley sports and business mogul Jerry Colangelo said he's disappointed a deal with Glendale to build the USA Basketball headquarters in the city's sports district fell apart.

The opportunity to snag the U.S. Olympic basketball organization remains, but there is little time left to salvage the project, he said at a Glendale Chamber of Commerce luncheon Tuesday.

Colangelo, former owner of the Phoenix Suns and Arizona Diamondbacks, said he could hold off relocating the organization only through the end of his term as USA Basketball chairman in 2012.

Editorial: Hint to Glendale: Colangelo's still thinking of you

"I've stalled and I've stalled and I've stalled but I've run out of time," he said. "When someone delivers a deal to you, you need to make that deal happen."

Glendale celebrated in 2008 when USA Basketball chose the city over others to relocate from Colorado Springs.

Glendale announced its partner, the developer Rightpath Limited Development Group, would build the $53.8 million training campus west of Loop 101 off Maryland Avenue. It would feature a training center, offices, three-star hotel, Midwestern University sports-medicine clinic and fitness center to be completed by 2010. The city was not expected to put any money toward the deal, which largely would have been paid for by the developer.

The complex was part of Rightpath's sweeping plan to build a shopping, office, resort and golf-course development called Main Street near Glendale's baseball park, Camelback Ranch Glendale, and remodel a city airport hub.

Since then Rightpath, now called HB Equities, has failed to secure financing to build any of its plans and lost land and its airport center to foreclosure.

HB Equities and Glendale blamed the depressed economy.

"I went way out of my way to help them find financing," Colangelo said, but the developers couldn't put together the money.

Main Street around the ballpark was critical because Glendale counted on tax revenues from the complex to help pay off $200 million it borrowed to build the baseball stadium.

"The White Sox aren't happy. The Dodgers aren't happy" about the vacant land surrounding the ballpark, Colangelo said.

Indeed, White Sox owner Jerry Reinsdorf told the Chicago Tribune last week that Main Street was one of the attractions for building the Glendale stadium.

"By now, in our third year, we were supposed to be looking at restaurants and retail and a hotel and condominiums. And the guys who were going to do that went broke. So we're sort of sitting out here by ourselves," Reinsdorf said.

USA Basketball officials told Glendale last fall they would cancel plans with Rightpath.

City Manager Ed Beasley pitched an alternate location, Colangelo said, on parking lots at Westgate City Center, near the hockey arena and football stadium.

The owners of the Renaissance Glendale Hotel & Spa, just south of the spot, would build the project. But that plan dissolved as well, Colangelo said.

A representative of Renaissance developer John Q. Hammons Hotels & Resorts did not immediately return calls for comment.

Glendale spokeswoman Julie Frisoni would not comment on Colangelo's talk of an alternate site but said the city "continues to pursue all viable opportunities which would provide value and enhance the city of Glendale."

Mayor Elaine Scruggs said she had no information to add to Frisoni's comments.

"As you know, I was not involved in negotiations leading up to the Memorandum of Agreement unanimously approved by the Glendale City Council on Nov. 18, 2008, for the development of a basketball training facility and campus."

Scruggs went on to say she was involved in no other negotiations for alternate sites.

City Councilman Phil Lieberman said Glendale had explored donating city-owned parking land around Westgate for the project and providing infrastructure such as waterlines and sewerlines, but it never went anywhere.

Lieberman questioned where the city would get money to provide infrastructure. He said Glendale should not continue to try to attract USA Basketball because of the potential cost and the difficulty of finding developers.

"We're already buried over our head in sports venues," he said.

A recent parking agreement with Westgate developer Steve Ellman could help Glendale if it pursued the alternative plan. The deal clarified the city could develop roughly 8 acres near the Renaissance.

Time remains for Glendale to find a solution for USA Basketball, Colangelo said.

"If someone at City Hall wants to call me, I'm available," he said. "I haven't heard anything from Glendale since that all ended. They've been busy with other things."

One of the things occupying Glendale is completing a deal to keep the Phoenix Coyotes at Jobing.com Arena through 2041. The city has been unable to finalize its arena lease agreement with team buyer Matthew Hulsizer due to lawsuit threats by the Goldwater Institute over concerns the deal is not legal.

Colangelo said he hopes everything works out for Glendale.

"My heart goes out to the Coyotes and the city of Glendale regarding the dilemma they find themselves in," Colangelo said.

He said the group should work with Glendale to find a compromise.

"One side (Goldwater) talks about principle," Colangelo said. "One side (Glendale) talks about reality."

Colangelo also addressed his latest West Valley project, the purchase and renovation of the Wigwam resort in Litchfield Park.

The resort will begin remodeling rooms this summer, upgrade golf courses and continue developing its restaurant, he said.

"There are good and bright things coming for the Wigwam," he said.

Colangelo touted the newly formed Arizona Commerce Authority, which Gov. Jan Brewer appointed him to help create, tasked with bringing investment and jobs to the state.

He praised recent announcements that Intel and First Solar plan to build new factories in the East Valley.

"You can't sell just sunshine," he said. With incentives the authority can offer, "now we have a chance."

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/community/g...#ixzz1HkIggA8l
I hope this deal doesn't fizzle out entirely and AZ misses the opportunity to host this facility.

With all the talk we've heard about Michael Crow wanting to expand the sporting facilities along Tempe Town Lake, try to attract the Pan Am Games, and building an Olympic facility there, I wonder if maybe that wouldn't be a better home for the US Hoops facility.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2011, 6:53 PM

I dont really understand why Glendale is even on Jerry's radar. We dont have enough space for this downtown? How big does this lot need to be? 7th Ave, warehouse district, anything along Washington between 7th Street & 44th St? How about the dog racing track?

Old Posted Mar 28, 2011, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynnjamin View Post
I dont really understand why Glendale is even on Jerry's radar.
I think its due to his new ownership in the Wigwam. If NBA players and world class basketball players are going to be training in the Valley, they need a place to stay. Most of them won't be staying at the on site 3 star hotel and the Wigwam is the highest end resort on the West side.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2011, 12:30 AM

More on the Peoria Sports Complex development (includes a preliminary plan)

http://www.azcentral.com/community/p...s-complex.html

I think this sounds great as the east side of 83rd looks bare with nothing but surface parking, and the west side is covered with restaurants.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2011, 7:14 PM

What the hell is that? They want to put a roundabout at 83rd & Stadium Way? That is possibly the worst idea I've ever seen. Roundabouts of that size work great with a major street and a minor street but do not perform in any way with two busy streets (at least not without a 4-way stop there). Seems like it would be brutal before and after games. Sure that is only one month but ugh. Plus, all of that retail seems insane. What ISNT at Arrowhead already? They have literally every national chain known to man available there. The only thing I can think that they are missing is a Microsoft Store and an REI.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2011, 7:20 PM

^Some of those stores could move over to this area though as Arrowhead ages and becomes less popular. Malls are slowly going the way of the buffalo for the most part as outdoor quasi urban centers like this increase in popularity. I think in general it looks pretty nice. Is it "real" urbanism? No, but Ill take it over an indoor mall or strip center any day. The way the stadium connects to the front of the Harkins is very nice.

Its really a shame the Salt River Pima's didn't do something like this. With the casino, resort, baseball stadium and existing retail at the Pavillions that could've been reconfigured they could've had something nice.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 2:07 AM

Agreed that the roundabouts seem stupid. The ones at I-17 and Happy Valley confuse the hell outta people. I also like the underground(?) connection to the Harkins.

On a side note, I'm curious what you guys think the Arrowhead area will be like in about a decade or two from now? I know the urban cycle is growth, stabilization, decay, redevelopment. I guess Arrowhead would be considered in the sabilized category as, except for a few small parcels of vacant land, its completely built out? I know Glendale's last new subdivision for the area is selling on 75th just north of the freeway.

The area has lots of upscale housing and a good reputation across the valley. Will it eventually decay, or become a Biltmore type area in which it stays upscale but becomes more urban? Thoughts?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 3:19 AM

^Its PV Mall West but without the adjacency to the super upscale Town of Paradise Valley, thus I think it will fair more poorly than PV.

I wish one of the dying Malls in the Valley would do a full on conversion to a New Urbanist town Center type of place to show Valley developers it can work here. Places like CityNorth, Keirland, Scottsdale Quarter and even the "District" portions of Desert Ridge and Tempe Marketplace are proving thats a popular idea here, especially since 7 or 8 months of the year its nice to be doing outdoor shopping. Christown would be the best option, its got transit and a good size park nearby.

E: Also re-glancing at the Christown area on Google Maps there's Christown (then Spectrum, not Christown Spectrum) Mall, Palo Verde Golfcourse, Solano Park & Yucca Library. How is anyone ever supposed to be able to figure out neighborhood identity in this town? All of that stuff should just be Christown ___________.

Last edited by HooverDam; Mar 30, 2011 at 3:48 AM.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Feds move up plans to create reservation land near Glendale

42 comments by Cecilia Chan - Apr. 5, 2011 09:46 AM
The Arizona Republic

The federal government plans to formally create a reservation on tribal-owned land near Glendale on May 16, according to a court document.

Once that happens, the southern Arizona-based Tohono O'odham Nation could move forward with a casino on its 54 acres near the city's sports and entertainment district.

See renderings of proposed casino
Glendale council votes to keep up fight against casino

Federal officials initially agreed to wait on the designation until all legal challenges were settled. Glendale, state lawmakers, the Gila River Indian Community and five Gila tribal members are fighting the land designation. Arizona Attorney General Tom Horne also has joined the legal battle.

Dermatologists Hate Her For Revealing It
Brookline: Mom Reveals $5 Trick To Erase Wrinkles. Results EXPOSED

How to Relieve your Joints?
Shocking discovery by Boston Researchers for amazing joint relief...

3 More Days to File for Debt Relief
Take Advantage of the Consumer Debt Relief Program Before it EXPIRES.

Brookline: Car Insurance (EXPOSED)
Brookline: We investigated Car Insurance and what we found may…
But a newly crafted state law has pushed federal officials to make their move next month, according to a letter attorney Kristofor Swanson, who represents the federal government, sent to attorneys for Glendale.

The law, which takes effect 90 days after the end of session, would allow Glendale to annex the tribe's land near 95th and Northern avenues, effectively rendering the federal land decision moot.

Swanson said federal officials needed to act because Glendale refused to commit not to annex the land until all appeals are settled.

Glendale, Horne and the others are appealing a March 3 decision by U.S. District Court Judge David Campbell that upheld the federal decision to take the land into the reservation system.

The 9th Circuit Court of Appeals is expected to issue its decision months after briefing is completed in August.

Glendale and its allies recently filed an emergency motion, asking Campbell to put on hold his March ruling and to prohibit the federal government from taking the land until the case has been decided in the appeals court.

Glendale and the others argue that they would lose their right to appeal and that the state and the city would lose authority to govern the 54 acres if the motion is not granted.

The federal government last week filed an opposition. It said the appeal was unlikely to succeed because it contained the same arguments that Campbell rejected.

The federal government also argued that if Campbell grants the request, it would allow Glendale to proceed with annexation.

The government said that if the state Legislature or any other entity takes further action to "alter the current status of the land," the May 16 date goes out the window.

It's unclear when Campbell would rule.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/community/g...#ixzz1Igd1qlaZ
This is good news for Glendale even though they're too stupid to know it. Its amazing that the Mayor and Council there keep fighting against this thing even though the AzCentral poll shows a whopping 75% approval for the casino.

Glendale is missing out on Super Bowls and Final 4's because of the far flung location, no high end hotels nearby and a lack of entertainment options. You get the chance to solve that all in one complex and you want to piss it away? What a bunch of dorks.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 11:22 PM

I really don't get why they oppose it, what's wrong with a casino? Then again, I go to casinos so I don't see a problem...but I wouldn't want to live next to a strip club for example so I guess it's just what you view as acceptable or not.

On another note, they put up a new bridge across the 101 between 67th and 59th over the weekend. Kind of pointless in my opinion, it's a pedestrian and bike bridge...how much pedestrian activity could there possibly be in that area? I rarely see anyone walking the sidewalks and I live in this area. The design is cool though...definitely something new for the Phoenix/Glendale area.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2011, 12:24 AM
BANNED

Did you park on the side of the freeway to snap that pic?

lol!

That is a pretty cool bridge, but who is going to use it? It must be because the freeway intersects a school district or there is a park on one side of it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest