HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Aug 20, 2016, 9:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Rushing to get rid of THE Presbyterian
Darn, I wonder if those (1750+/- W Harrison) were 19th century structures.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2016, 9:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy34 View Post
Per Google's current street view, it seems like the 4th story of the render will be a new addition.

(Note: Above, my quote panel's code includes Randomguy's image url, but the image is failing to display for some reason, at least at this moment.)

Old Posted Aug 20, 2016, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
Darn, I wonder if those (1750+/- W Harrison) were 19th century structures.
The demolished buildings were the 1888 Jones

The 1907 Murdock

The 1924 Rawson
http://storage.lib.uchicago.edu/ucpa...pf2-07124r.jpg

and the 1904 Senn
http://storage.lib.uchicago.edu/ucpa...pf2-07127r.jpg

Old Posted Aug 21, 2016, 8:25 AM

^ Likely they were functionally near useless, but still. Lost Chicago..

Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 4:03 AM

People complaining about the loss of the Goose Island building over in the Wrigley thread made me think of another commercial building of the same era that actually was worth saving: the old HUB theater on Chicago. I don't know if anyone else has been to Forbidden Root brewery who took over that space, but it's a real adaptive reuse treat. Whatever remaining historical elements they could salvage were cleaned up and exposed from the old "The HUB" mosaic entrance tile to the original plaster ceilings. All the new elements are tastefully modern and made of reclaimed materials. I highly recommend it for the architecture, but the food and beer was pretty darn good too. Also, the exterior facade really shines now that they fixed it up a bit and added some lighting. Quite an eccentric building really.

Some pics:

eater

eater

Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 7:33 PM

North/Ashland Hotel

Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
holy frickin crap that is ugly, it reminds me of some industrial precast POS off of I-88 way west

Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 7:40 PM

glad im not the only one who thought it looked awful. this has the same sort of massing problems the proposed Uptown TOD project does. why is this still so difficult?

Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 7:46 PM
devout Pizzatarian

it's ugly, but it replaces a freaking gas station at a prominent intersection.

chicago has WAY too many freaking gas stations ruining prominent intersection all over town.

i don't like it, but i'll gladly take it.

death to all gas stations!

Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 8:17 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
it's ugly, but it replaces a freaking gas station at a prominent intersection.

chicago has WAY too many freaking gas stations ruining prominent intersection all over town.

i don't like it, but i'll gladly take it.

death to all gas stations!
But why does it have to be one or the other? Too many times it seems the option is surface lot/strip mall/gas station or Ugly Ass Development; why are their so few quality developments in the neighborhoods?
I ask that more seriously and less hypothetically, is there some reason we don't get many good looking developments? I'm truly curious. I don't believe money is the only reason.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 8:20 PM

yea, im pretty sick of the "be glad youre getting anything at all" argument. we will never get better if we dont demand better. theres nothing inherent about this development that dictates it needs to look like that.

it looks like a prison, and i wish that was an exaggeration but its really not.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 8:21 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
But why does it have to be one or the other?
it doesn't.

but in this specific case i'll take the ugly hotel redevelopment over the way uglier shell station sitting there for another 5, 10, 25, or 50 years.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 8:25 PM

theres no way the gas station would still be there in 50 years (or even 5 or 10). theres a good chance this building will be though.

its a moot argument though. the lot is being developed. but they should absolutely be sent back to the drawing board. who designs something like that and is proud of what theyve put forth? how do you even graduate architecture school? id love to know the names of every institution the people who worked on the design aspect of this attended. they should be dragged in front of their former professors and openly mocked. and if their professors are the ones who taught designing a hotel after a maximum security prison is a good look, i think that goes a long ways towards explaining half the design fails this city has gotten in the past 20 years.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 8:33 PM
devout Pizzatarian

looking closer at the ground floor design, it looks almost entirely given over to automobile use. so yeah, this development probably wouldn't be substantively better than the gas station in any meaningful way.

in general i can live with ugly (taste is extremely subjective) if we're trading-up on the urbanism scale, but in this case it doesn't look there's much of an urban trade-up going on.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 8:35 PM

At just 7 stories it should be a nice basic red brick building. Pay attention to the corner and streetwall, build to the lot line, done. But too many people would say "that's boring and common and traditional, we need something new." Well, it's none of those things is it?

When the economical brick building (what do you think all those vintage Chicago Common buildings were??) is rejected, that's what we get.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 8:38 PM

I have no problem with brick. All of the new stuff going up in Fulton that references the old warehouses I think looks great. Its what I wish we had been getting all along.

Just be honest with what youre doing. People have issues with the throwback designs because usually what we've gotten is some version of "Ye Olde Condo" or some overwrought post-modern disaster.

Unfortunately its obvious people are trying to go the "modern" route without even the foggiest notion of how to execute on the idea. Which is pretty sad considering its at least a 50+ year old concept and there are plenty of good/bad examples to reference by this point in history.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 8:43 PM
The City

^ The ground floor being all parking is the kicker for me. Might as well keep the gas station

Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 8:52 PM

is it any surprise the proposal is coming from the current owner of the gas station? im guessing he has no experience with this sort of project. it shows.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 8:54 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
I have no problem with brick. All of the new stuff going up in Fulton that references the old warehouses I think looks great. Its what I wish we had been getting all along.

Just be honest with what youre doing. People have issues with the throwback designs because usually what we've gotten is some version of "Ye Olde Condo" or some overwrought post-modern disaster.

Unfortunately its obvious people are trying to go the "modern" route without even the foggiest notion of how to execute on the idea. Which is pretty sad considering its at least a 50+ year old concept and there are plenty of good/bad examples to reference by this point in history.
I agree 100% with this assessment.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 8:59 PM

And speaking of the architect, I think it speaks volumes that his website appears as an 8th graders half finished school project, most current "news" is from 2010, and contains a blank "Projects" page

http://variarchitects.com/?page_id=17

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development