HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 4:52 PM
Meh

More info on the Broadmoor development adjacent to the Domain in North Austin. The Domain is already touting itself as "Austin's 2nd downtown". At least in height, it's on its way to becoming Austin's truly defined 2nd skyline with several 200 footers - the first outside of the downtown and UT Campus/West Campus area.

Adjacent to the Domain is the old IBM campus with a handful of high rises with 1.1 million square feet. Brandywine Realty Trust plans to seek a rezoning of that area for increased density. Total buildout is seeking building heights up to 360 feet. Those would be the tallest outside of downtown by far at the moment. The tallest plan for the Domain at the moment is 248 feet, but those haven't started yet. 360 feet tall would have been the 3rd tallest in the city just 15 years ago. It would have been unheard of then to imagine something that tall outside of downtown. Today is the first time I've seen the maxed out plan for the square footage, and it's a bit of a surprise. They have entitlements for up to 8 million square feet of office, hotel, residential and retail space, but this says they could seek additional entitlements for 17.4 million square feet. That would suggest a total of 25 million square feet of space just in the Broadmoor development alone. That's without considering all the space at the Domain next to it. With that amount of space, nevermind the height, it would be a true 2nd downtown. CapitalMetro also wants a metro rail station in the development. The rail stop would connect the Broadmoor development to downtown some 8 miles to the south.

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...-to-build.html
Quote:
Brandywine close to winning key rezoning to build denser, higher on North Austin campus occupied by IBM

But there's a catch involving a train station

By Marissa Luck – Staff Writer, Austin Business Journal
4 hours ago

Brandywine Realty Trust has big plans for the 66-acre North Austin campus occupied by IBM Corp., and it is close to clearing a major hurdle toward realizing that vision.

Brandywine (NYSE: BDN) is asking the city to rezone the site at 11501 Burnet Road, home to IBM's 1.1 million square feet of office space. Brandywine owns the site and hopes to redevelop it into a high-density, mixed-used project with the potential for office, hotel, residential and retail space a stone’s throw away from The Domain.

The Pennsylvania-based real estate firm wants the city to rezone the area from commercial mixed use to a transit-oriented development/gateway. Once the site is in the new subdistrict, Brandywine can then seek density bonuses that would allow it to build up to 360 feet tall, up from the 120 feet currently allowed, according to city documents. It would increase the floor-to-area ratio — which determines how much square feet of space can be built on the property — from 5:1 to 8:1, according to a letter submitted to the city by Brandywine's attorney, David Anderson of the Drenner Group. And the zoning change would allow for up to 80 percent impervious cover, documents show.

Old Posted May 7, 2018, 9:51 PM
クラブトクヨ

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
More info on the Broadmoor development adjacent to the Domain in North Austin. The Domain is already touting itself as "Austin's 2nd downtown". At least in height, it's on its way to becoming Austin's truly defined 2nd skyline with several 200 footers - the first outside of the downtown and UT Campus/West Campus area.

Adjacent to the Domain is the old IBM campus with a handful of high rises with 1.1 million square feet. Brandywine Realty Trust plans to seek a rezoning of that area for increased density. Total buildout is seeking building heights up to 360 feet. Those would be the tallest outside of downtown by far at the moment. The tallest plan for the Domain at the moment is 248 feet, but those haven't started yet. 360 feet tall would have been the 3rd tallest in the city just 15 years ago. It would have been unheard of then to imagine something that tall outside of downtown. Today is the first time I've seen the maxed out plan for the square footage, and it's a bit of a surprise. They have entitlements for up to 8 million square feet of office, hotel, residential and retail space, but this says they could seek additional entitlements for 17.4 million square feet. That would suggest a total of 25 million square feet of space just in the Broadmoor development alone. That's without considering all the space at the Domain next to it. With that amount of space, nevermind the height, it would be a true 2nd downtown. CapitalMetro also wants a metro rail station in the development. The rail stop would connect the Broadmoor development to downtown some 8 miles to the south.

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...-to-build.html
This will make the area very dense, hope the re-zoning is approved.

Old Posted May 20, 2018, 9:14 AM

Crazy to think that it was only in 2014 when we didn't have any buildings on the Green Water blocks. I remember feeling like that area was a huge ugly scar on the face of Austin and that we would finally be a pretty city once that area was developed. I gotta say, it's really helping our city's confidence level.

But we're not completely there yet (Block 185, come on down).

Thankfully, there have been some other delightful surprises along the way, like Third + Shoal.

This picture really illustrates how much of a game-changer The Independent is. It gave much-needed balance to the skyline. The library also added some much-needed color, though we still need more.

And it's kinda fun trying to imagine these pictures with Block 71, The Republic, 600 Guadalupe, etc. added in.

Old Posted May 20, 2018, 6:22 PM

That's a beautiful shot! Can only imagine what the skyline will look like in a few more years.

Old Posted May 20, 2018, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dariusb View Post
That's a beautiful shot! Can only imagine what the skyline will look like in a few more years.
probably not too different from now.

Old Posted May 20, 2018, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hequals2henry View Post
Huh? Is financing going to be drying up suddenly in the near future?

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Last edited by The ATX; May 21, 2018 at 2:06 AM.

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Why do you say that?

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 1:58 AM

Quote:
Because Austin's skyline never looks too different from a few years back lol.... Biggest boomtown in the USA... why expect much difference hahaha.

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 3:10 AM

Here’s Rev. 4 of my 2018 list of Austin’s tallest projects that have at least one building 150’ tall or taller or appear to based on available information.

There are five status types:
U/C – Cement has been poured
Site Demo – At least one structure on the site has been or is being demolished
Site Prep – Dirt is moving or utility work is underway
Proposed – A specific project has been announced or project documents have been filed with the city
Planned – A project is envisioned, but no specific project has been announced or had building permits filed with the city

For this Rev. I have moved the “Planned” projects to the bottom of the list. Even though they may be viable projects with tall buildings, I didn’t want them to be listed with the projects that are further along in the development process.

Some of the “Proposed” projects are having trouble getting underway. But I still list the projects as “Proposed” if the original developer owns the site or the site was sold with an approved site plan.

Projects highlighted in Green are underway per the developer, and may have a status other than “U/C”.

Projects highlighted in yellow were completed in the current calendar year and have been removed from the project count.

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 6:55 AM
Meh

Old Posted May 21, 2018, 5:22 PM

nice shots!!!!

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 2:05 AM
クラブトクヨ

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Here’s Rev. 4 of my 2018 list of Austin’s tallest projects that have at least one building 150’ tall or taller or appear to based on available information.

There are five status types:
U/C – Cement has been poured
Site Demo – At least one structure on the site has been or is being demolished
Site Prep – Dirt is moving or utility work is underway
Proposed – A specific project has been announced or project documents have been filed with the city
Planned – A project is envisioned, but no specific project has been announced or had building permits filed with the city

For this Rev. I have moved the “Planned” projects to the bottom of the list. Even though they may be viable projects with tall buildings, I didn’t want them to be listed with the projects that are further along in the development process.

Some of the “Proposed” projects are having trouble getting underway. But I still list the projects as “Proposed” if the original developer owns the site or the site was sold with an approved site plan.

Projects highlighted in Green are underway per the developer, and may have a status other than “U/C”.

Projects highlighted in yellow were completed in the current calendar year and have been removed from the project count.

Awesome list!!

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 6:11 AM
Meh

Yeah, great job on keeping that list updated, The ATX. It's funny how I have to think for a second which ones some of those are. I'd forgotten about the 5th & Lavaca brochure we'd seen, for example.

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 7:37 AM

The "17th Street Hotel" will be on the next list. If anyone has any height or status updates for the Domain towers let me know. We don't have separate threads for those like we do the West Campus towers, so they are more difficult to keep up with.

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 7:57 AM
Meh

I can't see that you're missing any heights for any of the Domain buildings above 150 feet, but there was an article in April that talked about two more office buildings being planned near the Domain Tower. These would be "sequels" to the Domain Tower.

I would expect these to be at least close to 150 feet tall.

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...in-domain.html
Quote:
The plans are still in the early phase, but the new buildings will likely be between eight to 10 stories high and about 300,000 square feet each, according to Stonelake and HPI.

The new towers are tentatively being called Domain Tower 2 and Domain Tower 3.

Old Posted May 22, 2018, 6:12 PM
クラブトクヨ

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
The "17th Street Hotel" will be on the next list. If anyone has any height or status updates for the Domain towers let me know. We don't have separate threads for those like we do the West Campus towers, so they are more difficult to keep up with.
I thought I saw them posted somewhere, I will look.

Old Posted May 23, 2018, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubtokyo View Post
I thought I saw them posted somewhere, I will look.
Same here... checking.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 12:05 AM
Meh

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...-600-guad.html
Quote:
66-story tower, tallest in Austin, could break ground soon

Downtown skyscraper boasts an acre of parks in the sky, beaucoup parking and region's highest pool

By Marissa Luck – Staff Writer, Austin Business Journal
May 31, 2018, 7:56am CDT Updated 9 hours ago

The developers behind what would be the tallest tower in Austin said they could break ground on their 66-story skyscraper as early as this fall.

Right now, it's dubbed 6th + Guadalupe. The site could house hundreds of new residents and office workers with an estimated 575,000 square feet of offices underneath 349 residential units.

“It will be like no other building in downtown in terms outdoor amenity space … (one acre of outdoor access) for downtown Austin is crazy,” he added.

Above the outdoor terraces will be office space on floors 14 through 32, then apartments on floors 34 through 66. There will also be three levels of underground parking designated for residents.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 2:11 AM

I really like it.

The skyline is so tall now that I get good views of it near Anderson Ln. There's no telling what the view would be from my rooftop, although there might be too many trees to see the skyline.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2018, 6:52 AM

Thanks for the updates ATX!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations