HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Oct 17, 2008, 1:47 AM

^^ The article did grow a lot since I posted it. A few more details now, saying that it could bring up to 1,100 jobs within 5 years, if it comes here.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2008, 11:49 PM

Civic Center capacity

Big Bird,

Unfortunately, Tallahasse and Biloxi have larger arenas than Pensacola.
Mississippi Coast Coliseum can hold 15,000 for general admission. Tallahasse seats 13,500.
PCC has 10,000 seats and held 12,000. The sound would benefit if the North and South ends had seats added.12,000 seats, capacity 14,000 would be optimum for larger acts.

Fire codes keep almost all PCC concerts at 8,000-9,500. Impressive, but not biggest.

If and when the Civic Center expands with a Convention Hall, maybe more seats could be added to the main arena.

Just a thought.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2008, 12:02 AM
surely you're not serious

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBird9 View Post
Mobile isn't all that great, IMO.
Ahem.

---

Why don't we just incorporate Gulfport/Biloxi, Pascagoula, Mobile, Baldwin County, and Pensacola together so we don't have to fight over these things?

Hehe.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2008, 7:17 PM

Hey, I never said Pensacola was that great either. It just frustrates me when Mobile gets all of the new job opportunities and factories when I don't think the quality of Mobile is any better than Pensacola's. But I know why this happens, I just hate to admit it. Mobile does have something that Pensacola has lacked forever... economically progressive leaders that are proactive about bringing new opportunities to the area. That's something that I greatly admire about Mobile, and I wish Pensacola had that same commodity. Pensacola just has so much potential... tons of history, beautiful beaches, lots of beautiful waterfront property, and the largest deep water port in Florida. Yet, very little is done to take advantage of that. So, SouthSky, can we swap city leaders for about a decade?

But hey, I would be glad to call myself a part of the Mobile/Pensacola/Biloxi area. So go ahead and incorporate them together.
Maybe we could get a pro team then... probably MLB, since there is no baseball team between Houston, St. Louis, Atlanta, and Tampa. (Yeah, I know it won't happen in the next 75 years, you don't have to crush my dreams)

wilicr, thanks for the info. That's why I said "that I know of" lol. I guess the civic center is just the biggest one that I've seen inbetween NOLA and Jacksonville. Either way, the civic center still holds quite a few people.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2008, 7:33 PM

I recently spent over a week in Gulf Shores, and a couple of the things that have always frustrated me about BOTH Mobile and Pensacola is that, for being such old, history-filled cities, neither has really capitalized on it like a Savannah, Charleston, or St. Augustine, and for being waterfront cities, there isn't as much "public waterfront" as I'd like (although I do acknowledge that both cities are making efforts to improve this aspect).

Old Posted Oct 19, 2008, 4:03 AM
surely you're not serious

Quote:
So, SouthSky, can we swap city leaders for about a decade?
You can take our county commissioners. They seem to forget that there's a city in their county called 'Mobile' that should have the ability to tax people receiving the same services as Mobile's citizens that don't live in the city.

Quote:
But hey, I would be glad to call myself a part of the Mobile/Pensacola/Biloxi area.
We could call it Mobsacoloxi.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2008, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskavon View Post
Alright BigBird, I stumbled onto this rendering at Sacred Heart's web site:

If you look at that closely, I guess it really is on the parking lot next to the newer clinic and not on the big lot at the main corner. Here's my theory based on the rendering above:

Just for an update.... when I drove past the site the other day, I noticed that this building is now underway. There's ton's of construction equipment, and the site is completely fenced off.

Also, there is a Red Robin going in at Cordova Mall (where the old Ruby Tuesday used to be).

Old Posted Nov 8, 2008, 3:29 AM

^ Thanks BBird...I was wondering what was up with that thing and I haven't been by there in a good while. I didn't figure the economy was going to slow down medical care expansion...it seems probably even depression proof at this point.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2008, 2:09 AM

Yeah, I guess people never stop dying, so the medical business probably won't slow down too much. I'm glad that building is going up there; Sacred Heart has a nice looking complex. And I hope that they'll use that land with the "???" area. It seems kinda wasteful to let that land on the corner of Airport and 9th sit empty.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2008, 10:59 PM

In other news, I'm a little hesitant to blame this county for the next tidbit as you could say the economy is hitting these types the hardest but....

Wayne Dalton is closing up their Pensacola manufacturing facility (world's largest garage door manuf.)...and moving operations to....Ohio. Yes, Ohio, where it's HQ is. While all other companies based in the Rust Belt look for ways to completely escape to the south, ones in Pensacola apparently would rather consolidate up there than stick around. Oh well, another 300 pretty good jobs vanished. But hey, there's a pretty big empty warehouse at the industrial park if you need it. Maybe we can store foreclosed double-wides in there.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2008, 11:20 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Hey, I never said Pensacola was that great either. It just frustrates me when Mobile gets all of the new job opportunities and factories when I don't think the quality of Mobile is any better than Pensacola's. But I know why this happens, I just hate to admit it. Mobile does have something that Pensacola has lacked forever... economically progressive leaders that are proactive about bringing new opportunities to the area. That's something that I greatly admire about Mobile, and I wish Pensacola had that same commodity. Pensacola just has so much potential... tons of history, beautiful beaches, lots of beautiful waterfront property, and the largest deep water port in Florida. Yet, very little is done to take advantage of that. So, SouthSky, can we swap city leaders for about a decade?

But hey, I would be glad to call myself a part of the Mobile/Pensacola/Biloxi area. So go ahead and incorporate them together.
Maybe we could get a pro team then... probably MLB, since there is no baseball team between Houston, St. Louis, Atlanta, and Tampa. (Yeah, I know it won't happen in the next 75 years, you don't have to crush my dreams)

wilicr, thanks for the info. That's why I said "that I know of" lol. I guess the civic center is just the biggest one that I've seen inbetween NOLA and Jacksonville. Either way, the civic center still holds quite a few people.
I lived in Pensacola for four years and there is a big difference in the two cities. Mobile is much more metropolitan and Pensacola is more big town. Mobile has a much larger population and income is higher as well. It just depends on what your state is willing to spend to help it grow. Really I do not miss Pensacola although it is a lovely town. Just seems that Florida is not worried about Pensacola. Apparently people love Mobile or it would not be booming like it is.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2008, 5:59 PM

Maritime park close to securing critical permit
Good news for Maritime Park
Jamie Page • jepage@pnj.com • November 15, 2008

The Community Maritime Park Associates board is close to getting a critical state environmental permit that likely would clear the way for other permits needed to start building the park.

No later than Monday, the Florida Department of Environmental Protection will issue a notice of intent — which will be advertised publicly — that it intends to issue the CMPA a wetlands resource permit for dredging and filling during the installation of the east bulkhead on the Trillium property south of Pensacola City Hall, said Larry O'Donnell, a DEP environmental manager.

Once the intent is issued, if there are any serious environmental complaints by the public, they would be investigated by DEP. Otherwise, the permit will be issued, said Ed Spears, interim director for the park project.

"This is big news," said Lacey Collier, chairman of the CMPA Board of Trustees. "I know it has seemed like a long time, but from what I am told by those who have gone through this process before, we have set a world record."

When the wetlands resource permit is issued, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers is expected to follow within a few weeks by issuing the federal wetlands permit, Spears said.

Then, only city building permits would be needed by the developer to start building, Spears said.

In other business, the board agreed to remove its own board-imposed ban that bars board members from communicating individually with the master developer candidate, Land Capital, which the board's consultant is now negotiating with.

The ban will be lifted Dec. 1, when the board gets a draft of the agreement. That will allow the developer to lobby board members individually, Collier said.

The vote to remove the ban was 6-1, with Collier Merrill, John Fogg, John Merting, Juanita Scott, Grace Resendez McCaffery and Jimmy Jones in favor, and Collier opposed. Members Eddie Todd, Rodney Jackson, Bentina Terry, Dick Baker and Kathlyn White were absent.

"I would counsel against it, personally," Collier said. "You will do nothing beneficial by doing that."

Merrill said he supported it because removing the ban was the recommendation of the board's lead consultant, Owen Beitsch.

Timeline
The Community Maritime Park Associates on Friday established a timeline for considering a development contract with Land Capital, which is now negotiating with the board's lead consultant.

Here's the timeline:

-- Dec. 1: Special CMPA meeting where the first draft of a proposed agreement with Land Capital will be presented. No action will be taken.

-- Dec. 12: The first public hearing on the draft agreement where the public can weigh in on it.

-- Jan. 2: The final agreement will be sent back to the CMPA for its consultant to negotiate any final changes, based on the board's, or the public's, concerns.

-- Jan. 9: CMPA will take a vote on the final agreement, then forward it to the city.

-- Jan. 20: The City Council's committee of the whole will take an initial vote on the agreement and the issuing of the $40 million in bonds.

-- Jan. 22: The City Council will take its final vote.

Link: http://www.pnj.com/article/20081115/...811150317/1006

Old Posted Nov 16, 2008, 6:06 PM

Here's a short article from the Pensacola News Journal about the construction beginning on Sacred Heart's Cancer Center.

Sacred Heart begins construction on cancer center
From staff reports • November 13, 2008

Sacred Heart Hospital has begun the first phase of construction of a $31.5 million cancer center.

The new 90,000 square-foot center will be built on the west side of the Sacred Heart Medical Park at Airport Boulevard and College Parkway in Pensacola. Construction of the new facility is scheduled to end in late 2009.

Construction crews have dug up some of the parking area next to Sacred Heart's facility on Airport Boulevard to make room for the cancer center.

The new facility will consolidate and expand Sacred Heart's cancer services, including radiation and medical oncology, outpatient chemotherapy, lab and pharmacy services, patient education and support services, and cancer research staff.

Sacred Heart Hospital is affiliated with M. D. Anderson Physicians Network and the University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, a national leader in cancer care.

Details: Call (877) 904-HOPE or visit www.sacred-heart.org.

Link: http://www.pnj.com/article/20081113/...20/1006/NEWS01

Old Posted Nov 22, 2008, 5:29 PM

Thanks for the info. Did anyone else see the news story on channel 3 about the new airport hotel? I guess the city council just approved the plan, which is a proposed Hyatt Place Hotel on airport land. They had a rendering of it, and it looked pretty big and pretty nice. Here's the PNJ article:

Council OK's hotel deal
Approval comes amid flap over tract's appraisals

The Pensacola City Council on Thursday approved a lease of 11.4 acres to hotel developer Julian MacQueen for a $24 million hotel development at Pensacola Gulf Coast Regional Airport.

The vote was 7-3, with councilmen Sam Hall, Ronald Townsend and Mike Wiggins opposed.

"This has been absolutely one of the most gut-wrenching decisions I have had to make," Councilman Mike DeSorbo said before the vote. "But we made a commitment to an individual. That is probably the biggest weight on my shoulders. The city's and my own credibility are at stake. I have to support it."

That is, despite two controversial appraisals of the property discovered Tuesday by Airport Director Frank Miller, after a City Council committee had already blessed the project based on a single appraisal.

One of the additional appraisals on which the amended lease was based listed the land at $7 million, compared to the initial appraisal of $6.48 million.

Miller and City Manager Al Coby said the additional appraisals were misplaced and discovered after Miller began going back through the files on the airport land deal.

"I apologize to you and Mr. MacQueen for what should have been a seamless lease process," Miller said.

Wiggins and Townsend wanted to hold off on the vote to hold a special meeting to discuss the issue further. But council members were concerned that MacQueen may not be able to make his Nov. 28 deadline to get a franchise agreement with Hyatt Place, the proposed anchor hotel of the development.

More than a dozen developers, real-estate professionals and residents spoke to the council on the issue, most of them claiming the additional appraisal was still too low.

"The city can get a better deal. The city is leaving money on the table," said Pensacola real-estate broker John Griffing.

Hotel developer Jim Cronley, who referred to the incident as "Appraisal-gate," offered the city a $250,000 check to hold the property for a lease based on a value of $10 million for the 11.4 acres.

The council's action approves a lease of the land to Sandspur Development LLC — owned by MacQueen — for 50 years with three 10-year renewal options.

MacQueen, CEO and president of Innisfree Hotels, agreed to still take the deal based on the $7 million review appraisal.

The new appraisal will increase his rent on the property from $385,000 to $440,000 a year.

MacQueen wants to invest $24.4 million into the airport project to build a hotel, with retail, office and restaurant space to come later.

http://www.pnj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...=2008811210346

Old Posted Nov 22, 2008, 5:54 PM

I hate to be the one posting bad news lately, but now with Solutia all but closing down (and I wouldn't doubt they might totally close it soon), and the other stuff that has been shut down lately...that's like over 1,000 jobs in a couple weeks vanishd. I'd imagine those will trickle to cause other job losses. What is really sad is we are quickly going to be without any manufacturing or industrial stuff at all. Just a bunch of people serving fries to each other.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2008, 7:56 PM

Here's the shot from WEAR3 of the new Hyatt Place by the airport that Bigbird9 was referring to.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2008, 9:58 PM

Ah-hah, thanks for finding that. It looked bigger on TV lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskavon View Post
I hate to be the one posting bad news lately, but now with Solutia all but closing down (and I wouldn't doubt they might totally close it soon), and the other stuff that has been shut down lately...that's like over 1,000 jobs in a couple weeks vanishd. I'd imagine those will trickle to cause other job losses. What is really sad is we are quickly going to be without any manufacturing or industrial stuff at all. Just a bunch of people serving fries to each other.
Dang

That's a lot of lost jobs. We already are basically a city of fast food joints and chain retail shops. The only real major industry that will be left in Pensacola will be the military.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2008, 12:16 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvcrew22 View Post
Here's the shot from WEAR3 of the new Hyatt Place by the airport that Bigbird9 was referring to.

That's Hyatt's new standard design. There's some pics of one under construction in the Birmingham thread. They're fairly interesting structures.

Old Posted Dec 18, 2008, 4:33 PM

Good news for the Airport Hyatt!

Airport Hyatt gets OK
Construction to begin this summer
Carlton Proctor • cproctor@pnj.com • December 18, 2008

Innisfree Hotels won approval Wednesday for a Hyatt Place Hotel to be built on a piece of land owned by Pensacola Gulf Coast Regional Airport.

Julian MacQueen, owner of Innisfree, said Global Hyatt Corp. executives notified him his company would be awarded the hotel franchise, the first in the Pensacola market.

"We've got our anchor hotel now. And as soon as the site is turned over to us, which I expect to be in mid-July, we will start developing the property," he said.

Airport Director Frank Miller said the site would be turned over to Innisfree in late spring or early summer upon completion of the new rental car service facility, a few blocks north of the proposed hotel site.

The 127-room Hyatt Place would be the centerpiece of a $24 million development that MacQueen hopes eventually will include upscale shops, restaurants and professional offices.

Hyatt's OK comes less than a month after MacQueen won a divisive 7-3 City Council vote granting a 50-year lease for the 11.44-acre site at the main entrance to the airport.

At that council meeting, MacQueen's bid for the lease ran into stiff opposition from rival developers Jim Cronley and Tony Terhaar, who said the land was undervalued and terms of the lease were unfairly favorable to MacQueen.

Despite their protests, Miller said on Wednesday the awarding of the Hyatt franchise to Innisfree was good news for the airport.

"We have a signed contract with Sandspur Inc., (a division of Innisfree) and there's not really anything else to do," Miller said. "It's a good deal for the airport and I'm looking forward to the start of construction."

Hundreds of jobs

When the land is turned over to Innisfree later next year, MacQueen said his company intends to spend approximately $1.5 million in infrastructure improvements getting it ready for development.

He estimates the hotel should be ready for occupancy in 2011, and outparcels within the 11.44 acres will be available to potential tenants by the summer of 2010.

The hotel project will have a significant impact on the local economy, said Jeff Townsend, president of Innisfree Development.

"We expect to have over 500 individual tradesmen involved during construction of the various improvements and permanently employ over 235 people at these six businesses with over $4 million in payroll," he said. "I estimate the total investment in the project to be approximately $24 million."

Hyatt spokeswoman Katie Rackoff said approval by the company's franchise review committee "allows us to begin negotiating the details of our franchise contract with Innisfree Hotels."

She did not indicate when those negotiations would start or how long they would take to complete.

Rackoff also declined to discuss the company's review process criteria that led to the approval of MacQueen's franchise.

The Hyatt Place Hotel is a new brand of Global Hyatt, headquartered in Chicago.

Controversial process

The Nov. 20 City Council vote on MacQueen's proposal was complicated by the last-minute discovery by Airport Director Frank Miller of two additional appraisals that estimated the land's value at $7 million.

MacQueen's original lease agreement with the city was based on a single appraisal that priced the land at $6.48 million. He subsequently agreed to accept the higher appraised value and renegotiated his lease based on that $7 million estimated value.

The deal also was hurried by a Nov. 28 Hyatt deadline MacQueen said had to be met to avoid a delay of several months.

Darren Page, Hyatt's director of hotel development, said the Nov. 28 deadline was "absolutely" firm if MacQueen's Innisfree was to gain approval before the end of the year.

"Our franchise review committee meets only a few times a year," Page said. "And in preparation for that meeting, Mr. MacQueen had to have everything completed and submitted in order for the deal to go through."

Despite the continuing controversy over how the airport property value was calculated, MacQueen said the deal is a good one for the city and the airport.

"I think Frank Miller and (Assistant City Manager) Robert Payne did an excellent job insisting on a percentage of sales to determine the rents," MacQueen said. "The real economic driver here is getting non-airline revenues to flow to the airport.

"This is a well-thought-out strategy to keep Pensacola's airport No. 1 in this ... market."

Link: http://pnj.com/article/20081218/NEWS01/812180332/1051

Old Posted Jan 7, 2009, 4:00 PM

Here's a brief article about the new year's celebration they started this year, I was there and they did a good job with it and there were a lot of people there.

Downtown Countdown a night to remember
January 3, 2009

A new Pensacola tradition has been born: the Downtown Countdown and Pelican Drop.

As the photo above attests, the first of what should be an annual New Year's Eve event in downtown Pensacola was a big success. It's the kind of activity downtown needs more of.

Kudos for the celebration go to the city's Community Redevelopment Agency for sponsoring the free event. By the midnight "drop," thousands of enthusiastic people were in a party mood.

There was live music, a children's carnival, food and other entertainment. There were actually two pelican drops: at 8 p.m. for the kids, and again at midnight.

And it was quite a sight, and quite a bird: Weighing in at 200 pounds, standing 13 feet tall with a 20-foot wingspan, festooned with thousands of lights and hand-cut aluminum feathers, and descending from a 100-foot-tall crane.

The drop is one of many downtown initiatives, including the Friday Family Flicks, Sunsets at Plaza DeLuna, Evenings in Olde Seville, the Palafox farmers market and the popular Gallery Nights, that the CRA, the Downtown Improvement Board, the Pensacola Heritage Foundation and the city have cooperated on to showcase downtown.

Of course, the quiet secret about downtown, for all its troubles, is that it can be surprisingly crowded, depending on what time you are there, and what events are transpiring. Many people who see downtown as slumbering would be surprised to see the crowds that often gather.

Ultimately, downtown needs an ambience that is itself a constant draw. Then, events like the Downtown Countdown and Pelican Drop will be the icing on the cake.

Link: http://www.pnj.com/article/20090103/OPINION/901030303

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast