HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 30, 2016, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oftheMoon View Post
Quick update on the Sky II CRUs - the infamous coffee cup in the window is long gone. There is some sort of professional office open or very near open in the south CRU. It looks quite nice and is usually lit up at night which adds to the area.

The north CRU is papered up with a sign for Wink Studio Academy "coming soon" - a lash and brow beauty shop. They currently have another shop on Corydon.

So there, done - the coffee cup is gone and the CRUs have active businesses in them!
I heard that law firm Cassidy Ramsay is relocating to the Waterfront Drive area, so it's possible that might be for them. The building they're in now (385 St. Mary Avenue, opposite the Convention Centre) was sold to an owner with different plans, so they're vacating along with Mercier & Associates which is headed to Lakeview Square.

Anyway, it's good news... nice to see those spaces filling up. I don't think there are many vacant CRUs left in or around Waterfront... whatever few there are, are concentrated mainly in Ship Street Village.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2016, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I heard that law firm Cassidy Ramsay is relocating to the Waterfront Drive area, so it's possible that might be for them. The building they're in now (385 St. Mary Avenue, opposite the Convention Centre) was sold to an owner with different plans, so they're vacating along with Mercier & Associates which is headed to Lakeview Square.

Anyway, it's good news... nice to see those spaces filling up. I don't think there are many vacant CRUs left in or around Waterfront... whatever few there are, are concentrated mainly in Ship Street Village.
The professional office in the south CRU is an insurance firm, at least according to the folders that are sitting on desks in there.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2016, 5:03 PM

IIRC Wink Studio on Corydon actually has the space that is attached to the unused rooftop patio in that building. Would be nice to see that become a lounge or restaurant.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2016, 9:33 PM

112 Market

Finally seeing some movement in the old Don Pedro's spot! Enquired with some guys working on the space - said it will be "the Saddlery" pub. Cool that they chose a name harking back to the building's heritage. Hopefully they are putting much-needed work into the space to make it look nicer. Huge spot, so I wonder who is behind the place? Will be curious to see things progress.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 8:05 PM

So I didn't realize until today that Little Brown Jug also took the building beside it (that used to have that ugly faded mural on it)... That's awesome, place is looking great.

Anyone (TV) know when the RRC Elgin building is supposed to start construction? We may (hopefully) start seeing more happening on Adelaide/Innovation Alley soon with some of these projects stretching even further west now.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 8:26 PM
BANNED

That's great. This is an incredible addition to the area.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 9:25 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
So I didn't realize until today that Little Brown Jug also took the building beside it (that used to have that ugly faded mural on it)... That's awesome, place is looking great.

Anyone (TV) know when the RRC Elgin building is supposed to start construction? We may (hopefully) start seeing more happening on Adelaide/Innovation Alley soon with some of these projects stretching even further west now.
The new building at NDC is eating a lot of RRC's money right now and they are still hurting from the bank tower fiasco. Can't see anything starting soon.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 9:38 PM
BANNED

We need more private enterprise for sure.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
The new building at NDC is eating a lot of RRC's money right now and they are still hurting from the bank tower fiasco. Can't see anything starting soon.
I remember TV being at a meeting last year that said it was a go.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 11:27 PM

OK so we've brought this parking lot up many times BUT, Canada Lands (or whatever gov't agency it is) still owns and leases out the Crocus building. I'm surprised they still are holding onto it as generally this agency tends to divest AQAP, I wonder if there'd be any interest in CV or someone in partnership with the Exchange BIZ working out a deal to buy the parkade + surface lot portion of it and tear it down to put CRUs facing OMS. Or at the very least (way more feasible) just buy the surface lot portion to make it part of the park and leave the parkade as is.

I know it's kind of a dream, but it's weird to me that the government still owns that building, and I don't think it'd be that crazy to buy just the surface lot portion. Maybe even put a shipping container cafe in front of that blank wall... could skate up to it for coffee and hot chocolate in winter.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2016, 3:15 AM

^ Do you mean Crown Lands?

Either way, I find it astonishing that the surface parking lot abutting Old Market Square was ever allowed to be there in the first place (it was only added maybe 10 or 12 years ago). If in fact one of the governments owns the Crocus Building, the Exchange District BIZ should make it a priority to lobby whover is responsible for it to sell off that parking lot.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2016, 3:18 AM
BANNED

No f'n kidding.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2016, 5:37 PM

Quote:
^ Do you mean Crown Lands?

Either way, I find it astonishing that the surface parking lot abutting Old Market Square was ever allowed to be there in the first place (it was only added maybe 10 or 12 years ago). If in fact one of the governments owns the Crocus Building, the Exchange District BIZ should make it a priority to lobby whover is responsible for it to sell off that parking lot.
Yes, that's the one. I worked in that building last summer and it was still owned by the Crown as of then. OMS is so close to being great with patios on the King side and RRC, and that lot just completely ruins the whole thing. It's so sad. btw, that parkade is only one floor and holds maybe 20-25 cars MAX.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2016, 5:52 PM

Wouldn't it be cool if they could open one side of the pumphouse to the hopeful restaurant. Look at this lounge in a former Berlin pumphouse, it's awesome. Found this in the WFP comments lol.

http://www.wasserwerk-berlin.de/gallery.html#

Old Posted Sep 2, 2016, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Wouldn't it be cool if they could open one side of the pumphouse to the hopeful restaurant. Look at this lounge in a former Berlin pumphouse, it's awesome. Found this in the WFP comments lol.

That does look pretty cool!

With new windows on the James Ave pumphouse and a lit up interior, the look could come pretty close to the gallery photo on the right side.

Lots has been going on in the East Exchange lately, but this development is going to be a real spark.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2016, 6:35 PM

Quote:

If you told me that was James Ave pump station, I'd believe it. they look identical! And awesome.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2016, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Yes, that's the one. I worked in that building last summer and it was still owned by the Crown as of then. OMS is so close to being great with patios on the King side and RRC, and that lot just completely ruins the whole thing. It's so sad. btw, that parkade is only one floor and holds maybe 20-25 cars MAX.
That parkade is such a joke, never mind the surface lot. We're all of the same opinion here.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2016, 6:56 PM

^ I'd love to know how that was ever allowed to happen in the first place. The little parkade I can live with, as lame as it is. But the surface lot on OMS...someone was asleep at the switch when that was OKed.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2016, 7:56 PM

Quote:
^ I'd love to know how that was ever allowed to happen in the first place. The little parkade I can live with, as lame as it is. But the surface lot on OMS...someone was asleep at the switch when that was OKed.
I don't think there even was a switch to fall asleep at in the late 90s/early 00s when that would have been approved.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2016, 8:08 PM

^ Considering Harry Lazarenko was cheerleading for the demolition of the Crocus Building at the time, I guess we were all just grateful that it was still standing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan