HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Apr 8, 2011, 3:11 PM
HVAC guru

Whatevva. You know not what you speak of.

Please, let us enjoy this great announcement without the usual static from the anti-Edmonton crew.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2011, 3:24 PM

My SO was happy about this announcement as well until she realized she looses her parking space. But I will have some good locations for shot of the construction.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2011, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
Please... this location's one of the least desirable downtown locations. This should be going where the Terrace building is, where you'll at least want to look at the view outside of the expansive windows. Otherwise, it might as well be in downtown Winnipeg; that part of downtown Edmonton is oddly similar.

Please stop...stop now. Drive a couple captain and cokes into ya and really visualize the location and its possibilities. Remember...what is, will not always be.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2011, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Please... this location's one of the least desirable downtown locations.
Only because the huge new museum hasn't been built there yet.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2011, 3:49 PM
DRINK

I loved the idea of the RAM at the Leg, but this location is even better.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2011, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
I am disappointed in Don Iveson being slippery over the issues on arena...
Iveson is probably the smartest of the 3 'nay'-s. Hit the nail on its head when he said "the NHL has a broken business model". But, this being an NHL city(as insane as that sounds), I can see why you would be disappointed.

One wonders what would happen to the City of Champions if that team was ever yanked away...

An Urban Planner

Old Posted Apr 8, 2011, 5:32 PM
Community Guy

Don is a fiscal conservative who is incredibly intelligent. I don't think he is anti arena per se, but rather anti-public involvement.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Apr 8, 2011, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
Whatevva. You know not what you speak of.

Please, let us enjoy this great announcement without the usual static from the anti-Edmonton crew.
This isn't being anti-Edmonton. Trust me on this one. It's wanting the best for Edmonton, but tire of it never shooting for the stars. This is the equivalent of putting it in Vancouver's DT Eastside, or Winnipeg to the north of the Exchange District.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2011, 5:48 PM

^ No its Not...Buddy you need some vision.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2011, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Please... this location's one of the least desirable downtown locations. This should be going where the Terrace building is, where you'll at least want to look at the view outside of the expansive windows. Otherwise, it might as well be in downtown Winnipeg; that part of downtown Edmonton is oddly similar.

Yeah, I dont think so. What would your suggestion be to make this area better? Leave it the way it is?
This site fantastic for many reasons:
1. It provides a teminus to 99 Street. Many of the great City's in world, that were actually designed by architects, design the city's corridors to take advantage of signicant and important buildings. There have been many oportunities in Edmonton but the shortsightedness of the designer/architect never picked up on it. The CN tower is as prominent as it is because it is located at the terminus of 100 street, the leg is the terminus of 108th street. The museum is at the terminus of 99 street which is the main "arts" corridor in the City;
2 Context - It makes sense to have it close to other cultural institutions. I dont know what else to say about that???
3. Transition between downtown and chinatown
4. Access to LRT and Transit;
5. Connectivity - there could be a unique pedestrian corridor along 99 street connecting all of the cultural institutions;
6. This area needs it? Again, it is not a great area now. what would you suggest to make it better?
7. Space? Clearly we need a facility that can accommodate; what other site in such a context could do that?
8. Downtown in general is where facility like this should be. No question.
"Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. Carl Spackler, 1980

Old Posted Apr 8, 2011, 7:34 PM

The only thing missing at the new location is the view over the river valley that you can get fro the 2nd floor of the old location, or the terrace idea. The thing is, museums are mostly about see what's inside, and if it's done right, there can be other interesting views, like to the NE along the rail corridor, the Museums own landscaping, and the view down 99st through the cultural heart of this city.

The only problem is the wide, anti-pedestrian nature of 104ave. If that's fixed, it's all good.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2011, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qafir Arnaut View Post
Iveson is probably the smartest of the 3 'nay'-s. Hit the nail on its head when he said "the NHL has a broken business model". But, this being an NHL city(as insane as that sounds), I can see why you would be disappointed.
Actually... I was disappointed with that comment.

The vote wasn't whether or not the NHL's business model works. No one can deny it is flawed. But the fact is he should have voted as to whether or not the proposal makes sense for the City.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2011, 8:33 PM
Kevin Folds Five

Not every building needs to be built with a view. Sometimes the view from the outside shows better than the view from the inside

Old Posted Apr 8, 2011, 9:11 PM

Need I remind you all that the post office was originally slated to be the location of the downtown arena before Katz came into the picture.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2011, 10:50 PM
serial audiophile

It's nice to have a genuine surprise announcement like this - very uplifting.

This will be an excellent location for the RAM. Judging by the site plan, they not only will be knocking down the old post office sorting warehouse but also the office building all the way to the CN Tower. That will be a huge change. It will be interesting to see if we end up with as much green space around the RAM as what is shown in the site plan.
The only obvious point of concern will be the North side of the new museum. As shown, it will be built flush to the Stationlands property line. So does this mean we will have a blank 5 or 6 storey wall facing China Town for years and years until Stationlands catches up and builds that far east?

Image courtesy of the Edmonton Journal...

Old Posted Apr 9, 2011, 3:10 AM

this is really good news for edmonton! I'm happy with the location for its long term impact.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2011, 3:21 AM

it's good to see that post office junk out!

Old Posted Apr 9, 2011, 4:37 AM

What happens to the current location?

Old Posted Apr 9, 2011, 4:38 AM
A Better Place

Hopefully something is done with the Remand across the street before the museum is opened. Anyone up for some 1-bedroom condos that come with a prison cell?

Old Posted Apr 9, 2011, 4:50 PM
Urbis Maximus

This is an excellent location given that it strengthens an already solid Arts District. It will help refresh that part of our downtown and has the potential to help with redeveloping The Quarters, at least help change peoples perception of that part of downtown.

One thing that they MUST save from the Post Office is that tile mosaic mural at the main entrance...THEY CANNOT DEMOLISH THAT, IT MUST / SHOULD BE INTEGRATED WITH THE NEW RAM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton