HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 3:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro View Post
Upstairs, has a security type entrance once your enter?, I remember going their over a decade ago..I just wanted to be sure it's the same outlet I made a few transactions at..lol..Still going strong? That upstairs area is so often forgotten. Any other business's you noticed on this floor?
Sounds about what I did with my friends wife to get into Simons years ago.

For some reason I think that the jeweler on Henderson @ Hart has the same setup to get in where you buzz at the front door and they check you out before unlocking the door.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 8:11 PM

Noticed today there is a new restaurant going in the food court at City Place, between Koya and the Thai place. QuickWich or something like that.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2016, 12:48 AM

Any news when SaveOnFoods will be opening?
They said Fall 2016, when they announced the openings last year.

What is status on the construction/renovation of the 3 stores?
St James
Northdale
Waverly West

Old Posted Sep 2, 2016, 3:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Noticed today there is a new restaurant going in the food court at City Place, between Koya and the Thai place. QuickWich or something like that.
And I saw tonight that where the MMMuffins store was its being horded up, and it looks like the Greek Place in the Food Court closed up too.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2016, 10:51 AM

Quote:
I believe it is another Melt'wich" location similar to the one in Winnipeg Square.
Their mac & cheese sandwich is pretty good.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2016, 12:22 PM

Expected PINK Victoria Secret Be Open at Polo Park This Weekend

Old Posted Sep 2, 2016, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor204 View Post
Any news when SaveOnFoods will be opening?
They said Fall 2016, when they announced the openings last year.

What is status on the construction/renovation of the 3 stores?
St James
Northdale
Waverly West
Northgate looks to be closer to opening than St James based on being at both sites recently. No idea on Waverly West. I did notice though that Save On Foods is a promotional partner with the Jets this season on at least one game so would seem they are opening soon. Was interesting to see the Northgate site was still using the old Zellers doors on their new store!

Old Posted Sep 2, 2016, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
Northgate looks to be closer to opening than St James based on being at both sites recently. No idea on Waverly West. I did notice though that Save On Foods is a promotional partner with the Jets this season on at least one game so would seem they are opening soon. Was interesting to see the Northgate site was still using the old Zellers doors on their new store!
with all the contractors going in and out, I would expect the exterior doors to be one of the last things to be changed to keep the finish from being damaged.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2016, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedtim View Post
I believe it is another Melt'wich" location similar to the one in Winnipeg Square.
Their mac & cheese sandwich is pretty good.
Yes MeltWich. I'll be sure to try it out when they open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
And I saw tonight that where the MMMuffins store was its being horded up, and it looks like the Greek Place in the Food Court closed up too.
That corner is somewhat of a no-mans land. Doesn't really draw much attention. We'll see what comes of it.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2016, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Yes MeltWich. I'll be sure to try it out when they open.

That corner is somewhat of a no-mans land. Doesn't really draw much attention. We'll see what comes of it.
At one point the Greek Place was suppose to move in to MMuffins site but nothing ever happened. Unless he closed his existing location and will reopen there but the we are closed note on the security grate didn't say anything about that as such.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2016, 4:48 PM

^yeah, St. James SaveOn doesn't look anywhere near ready. I hate the new building subway moved into. Feels very closed to the street and it's right at the sidewalk.

Also, complete guess, but wonder if cityplace maybe didn't renew some of these independent leases to bring more chains in? Like maybe an Opa! Will replace the Greek place, etc. Honestly, Opa! Is probably the best fast food out there. Actual Greek restaurant quality.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2016, 4:49 PM

^ Cityplace's food court seems very dull in terms of food offerings considering how busy it gets there at lunch. Come to think of it, you could probably say the same for Portage Place and Winnipeg Square too... big lunchtime crowds but for the most part, a lame selection, certainly relative to Polo Park and St. Vital.

I remember a few years back Ray Wan's website included renderings of a total overhaul of the Cityplace food court but that obviously never happened. It's still 1994 in there.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2016, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Cityplace's food court seems very dull in terms of food offerings considering how busy it gets there at lunch. Come to think of it, you could probably say the same for Portage Place and Winnipeg Square too... big lunchtime crowds but for the most part, a lame selection, certainly relative to Polo Park and St. Vital.

I remember a few years back Ray Wan's website included renderings of a total overhaul of the Cityplace food court but that obviously never happened. It's still 1994 in there.
The floor and ceiling tiles and lighting were done in the last few years as part of the general City Place revamp of the common areas.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2016, 7:20 PM
Dynamic Positivity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post

The rooftop patio at the City Place foodcourt is probably one of its best kept secrets.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2016, 7:32 PM

Part of the issue with where the Greek place was in the CityPlace food court is it is the addition to the food court and close to 15 years later it is still feeling like an addition.

If you really want to see what Meltwich is like I suggest walking the four blocks to Winnipeg Square.

In terms of CityPlace food court though it is actually surprising no one has rushed in with another pizza place. That is a staple of any food court. Granted the one they had managed to make about the worst pizza in the city but that doesn't mean people wouldn't frequent someplace that actual made a decent slice.

The other thing is surprising to see people realize that CityPlace has an outdoor patio off the food court. It was even more of a ghost town before the skywalk was added but best I could tell dates back to when the mall conversion was original done.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2016, 7:40 PM

It would be nice if the patio was expanded. It gets quite full at lunch. Nice little spot to sit. They've also had musical shows on Tuesdays at lunch, as part of the downtown daytime festival thing thats been going on.

And Cory, don't you be trying to force me into 4 blocks of walking now! I'll just wait for 3 months until the store opens. (jk of course)

Old Posted Sep 2, 2016, 7:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
If you really want to see what Meltwich is like I suggest walking the four blocks to Winnipeg Square.
"Walking four blocks" and a place called "Meltwich" seem like they'd be mutually exclusive.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2016, 12:15 PM

From what I recall seeing somewhere SaveOn at Northgate was supposed to be done for November.

As for the entrance, I'm going to assume most of the contractors are using a back entrance and not the main entrance.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2016, 2:05 PM

The jewelry store near the lotto kiosk and 'Cookies by George' in Winnipeg Square was empty and closed this morning. Must not have renewed lease for Sep 1.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2016, 2:30 PM

^^ Something seems up with Winnipeg Square lately, perhaps they are not renewing leases. The jewelry store near the lottery kiosk and the store with the fake log cabin front also closed relatively recently. They also gutted the interior of Chamberlain's after it was forced into bankruptcy.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan