HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 31, 2016, 10:05 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralLee(Toronto ) View Post
Seeing this proposed building for the Peg, I was very surprised and excited, when I looked at this thread a few months back, I had optimism as to whether this would be a dead-end proposal or if it would indeed go through. With what I've now heard, I believe this legitamitely will be built, although I must wonder how much this rendering could change since it's been a good few months. I can understand the optimism brought with whatever supposed history the developer may or may not have, and that the cities' core historically hasn't been the most incredibly wonderous place to live in some peoples views, or just with what had been a resurgence and growth of the suburbs as of late. For sure, this is one of the proposed buildings I'm really intrigued by, for what it could in changing peoples perceptions of Winnipeg's downtown, or just new highrise living in general. (Apologies if this sounds weird, I'm trying to not spark a furious storm of hate or anything, just really amazed with how this building will function, with what it will contain)
Hey, I lived in downtown Winnipeg between Nov. 1990 and June 2012 in the Broadway-Assiniboine neighbourhood.

At the time, for grocery shopping I had nearby:
  1. Eaton's
  2. The Bay
  3. Kaufmann's

Further away were 3 Safeways:
  1. Osborne Village - 15 min. walk.
  2. Grant Park - bus ride

Still further away was Superstore near Kenaston @ Grant.

When Eaton's closed and then The Bay closed their groceriteria, I had to travel further to buy reasonably priced food.

In the 90s when "they" let out a lot of mentally ill people from the institutions there were all of a sudden people asking either for a cigarette (I don't smoke) or "some change" (I don't give to pannys).

Where in the 1980s, in my high school "spare" periods, I'd enjoy a peaceful stroll along Graham Ave. between The Bay sometimes all the way to Winnipeg Square.
Then in the same time, early 90s, were, firstly the intoxicated from "Up Nort". That's when the Library started adding more security staff. How many do they have now? I lost count.

I blame the Boomers and Gen Xers who started shopping at Wal*Mart because it's "cheaper" instead of supporting Eaton's and The Bay.

That's when I decided, enough is enough. It's no longer rewarding to live downtown.

I'm now living in the 'burbs.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2016, 10:07 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralLee(Toronto ) View Post
Seeing this proposed building for the Peg, I was very surprised and excited, when I looked at this thread a few months back, I had optimism as to whether this would be a dead-end proposal or if it would indeed go through. With what I've now heard, I believe this legitamitely will be built, although I must wonder how much this rendering could change since it's been a good few months. I can understand the optimism brought with whatever supposed history the developer may or may not have, and that the cities' core historically hasn't been the most incredibly wonderous place to live in some peoples views, or just with what had been a resurgence and growth of the suburbs as of late. For sure, this is one of the proposed buildings I'm really intrigued by, for what it could in changing peoples perceptions of Winnipeg's downtown, or just new highrise living in general. (Apologies if this sounds weird, I'm trying to not spark a furious storm of hate or anything, just really amazed with how this building will function, with what it will contain)
I would welcome a new design actually, as the current one is pretty bland.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2016, 10:12 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
I would welcome a new design actually, as the current one is pretty bland.
I'm ok with the current design. That being said I think that they could spice it up with some cool design features and I wouldn't be too upset about it. Especially the 9 floor pentice or whatever that thing is. They should add a space in the very top large enough for an observation deck and restaurant. That would be a show stopper for me.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2016, 10:17 PM
BANNED

I want a sexier design like:

http://www.lavenuecondos.com/en/photo-gallery/

That ridiculous blank wall at the top is not very pleasing to the eye. Is it a movie screen?

Old Posted Aug 31, 2016, 10:29 PM
There is always a way

I think that at this point in time they've become limited by the configurations of the units that they've sold. Balcony placement is what it is at this point in time. That being said there's a million and one ways to spruce up the design without disrupting the layouts that they have now. Like I said before, the pentice can be an amazing feature if done correctly.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Just got back from Montreal and my hotel room looked directly at this project going up. It's massive. Also, construction was 24/7. Even the crane was going at 3 am.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 1:51 AM
BANNED

I love Montreal; Many great projects being developed there.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 5:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
I'm ok with the current design. That being said I think that they could spice it up with some cool design features and I wouldn't be too upset about it. Especially the 9 floor pentice or whatever that thing is. They should add a space in the very top large enough for an observation deck and restaurant. That would be a show stopper for me.
Of course.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 3:50 PM

I think the design is fantastic. There's no way a project like the L'Avenue in Montreal would be financially feasible here, but I really like the interplay between vertical/horizontal lines and the hints of blue.

As far as notable design features that people ask for, well it's got the fin, which I think is a smart element. Makes a very strong statement and likely doesn't break the bank.

Certainly more visually engaging than the Glasshouse, which is a a good looking building itself.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 3:55 PM
Heart of the Continent

It wouldn't be a Winnipeg project without some kind of complaint and then comparison to out of reach projects in other cities.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 4:02 PM

Context. I was looking at an article yesterday with a snazzy video of New Mosaic stadium in Regina. All the comments were "oh this sucks" "oh that should be different" etc. One comment was about how fantastic it was, the rest was garbage. So nothing unique about this.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 4:07 PM
BANNED

Being critical of design is justified, as Winnipeg is consistently a hotbed of crappy buildings. I'll be damned if I am going to settle for inferior designs and materials, and praise them.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 4:13 PM

The building looks fine and will be a land mark in the city once completed.. I think next two major towers will go near the convention center hopefully we get even more unique designs

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 4:15 PM
BANNED

It is better than the Alt; that is something...

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 4:19 PM

Is this really something to complain about? It looks pretty good to me...

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 4:23 PM

I think it looks just fine. There's a bit of colour. There's supposed to be lighting at the top. Some fancy swirls on the podium. Slanty roof at the top. Trees, terraces, etc

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 4:30 PM
BANNED

We shall see. I do not like the massive blank wall at the top. If it was glass fine, but it looks like a huge cement wall.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 4:36 PM

^ Different strokes. I love the triangular peak and I think it's a far more dramatic topping than a simple flat roof.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 4:49 PM

Quote:
We shall see. I do not like the massive blank wall at the top. If it was glass fine, but it looks like a huge cement wall.
If they could get away with putting a corporate logo on their, either the name of the condos. or some commercial space.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
If they could get away with putting a corporate logo on their, either the name of the condos. or some commercial space.
I don't see how a big corporate logo would make it look any better... sometimes less is more.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan