HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Aug 31, 2016, 6:24 AM
Acey

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
Time for a bypass - maybe through Lacombe and East side of Red Deer.
Fixing the existing routing would be far cheaper; $100m for the Gaetz project, widen the bridges over the river, and fix the other three interchanges. That curve north of the river will probably have to be fixed, too... then it's done for under $500m right? A bypass is 40+ km of new freeway if it's connecting up north of Lacombe, a very expensive pair of bridges across the deep river valley on the east side of town, and at least 5 interchanges. That's what, $1B-$1.5B?

Old Posted Aug 31, 2016, 12:32 PM
DRINK

Personally I find highway2 through Red Deer to be extremely satisfying. Feels like your making progress when you keep the cruise at 122 and do some major passing.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2016, 12:56 PM
BANNED

^^ agree that all those upgrades can and should be done first, but planning for a longer term bypass isn't a bad idea either. it will provide an eastern boundary for what will someday be a contiguous city from red deer to lacombe, and with that area at 250k+ it will be good to have a bypass route not just for load balance but for accident/construction avoidance as well

of course SW henday is seriously under built now and needs upgrades ASAP, just go right to 8 lanes from hwy 2 south to hwy 16 in the west, and having an extra lane southbound across the river and up the hill for trucks and RVs wouldn't be a bad idea either

wonder if that could be done as part of the province's planned hwy 2 alternate route west of leduc and the airport to meet up with terwillegar dr? and would the city pony up for the interchanges between henday and whitemud at the same time.. getting edmonton the start of an actual freeway network?

for the rest of henday, upgrade SE and north sections to 6 lanes for cheap and that should do it for a while

now that twinning of hwy 63 to ft mac is pretty much done, would be nice to see the province refocus on getting hwy 2 and the other transcanada routes up to freeway spec, do some powerbuilding during the slump with labor and resources on the cheap!

Old Posted Aug 31, 2016, 1:31 PM

^ If by "Trans Canada" you're talking about Hwy 1 then that's pretty much twinned from border to border, though I'm sure some people will call for more lanes between Calgary and Canmore. The other Trans Canada Hwy aka Yellowhead Hwy needs to be twinned west of Hinton and needs to bypass Hinton, Edson and Lloyd. Yellowhead Trail needs all signaled intersections replaced with interchanges.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2016, 2:18 PM
BANNED

yeah, realize hwy 1 and 16 are almost entirely twinned, but there's still plenty of crossroads to remove and a bypass or two to get them to freeway spec

same story for hwy 2, especially south of Calgary.. I actually think the 'canamex' route should get trans Canada designation, as the only real north/south highway in the country, one that crosses 2 provinces and a territory and connects to a foreign country on either end..

if that isn't trans Canada, I don't know what is!

Old Posted Aug 31, 2016, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
^ If by "Trans Canada" you're talking about Hwy 1 then that's pretty much twinned from border to border, though I'm sure some people will call for more lanes between Calgary and Canmore. The other Trans Canada Hwy aka Yellowhead Hwy needs to be twinned west of Hinton and needs to bypass Hinton, Edson and Lloyd. Yellowhead Trail needs all signaled intersections replaced with interchanges.
"bypass Hinton, Edson" will reduce the driving time to Jasper by 30 minutes. Divided highway through the Park save another 30 minutes to get to Valemount or all in save 1 hour of time to Vancouver. Put the car on cruise at 110 and snooze.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2016, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by technomad View Post
planning for a longer term bypass isn't a bad idea either.
A bit ironic, considering that the current highway 2 route past Red Deer is a bypass, or was designed as such back in the day.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2016, 2:50 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
A bit ironic, considering that the current highway 2 route past Red Deer is a bypass, or was designed as such back in the day.
yep.. all of this has happened before, and all of this will happen again

to come full circle, if hsr/maglev ever gets built, running elevated through red deer down the old hwy 2 route would get them a downtown station vs a suburban one, restoring that route as the fastest link between the two cities

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 1:07 AM

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 3:42 AM
Acey

I mean you gotta build something. Not wanting inner city freeways is fine, but don't be surprised when people use Henday to get everywhere and its 4 lanes get overloaded.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 2:55 PM
Urban Advocate

Build it, and they will come. Literally.
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Sep 2, 2016, 12:39 AM
Acey

That Henday/Yellowhead interchange in the NW moves a ton of traffic on the flyovers during rush hour, seems they're both ready for 2 lanes now. Thank God the bridges were all built wide enough for the 2nd lane.

Also seems to me once they fix the crunch to 2 lanes SB over Whitemud, SB will be survivable. The only thing horrendous is WB right after Gateway, but 4 lanes through to Rabbit Hill and that's also mostly fine.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2016, 1:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapid_business View Post
Build it, and they will come. Literally.
When talking about the Henday in the SW - you are right on.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2016, 1:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
Considering the TCH Hwy 1 doesn't even have that standard east of Calgary, I wouldn't hold my breath on that for the Yellowhead. Unless you're meaning just within the City of Edmonton, for which I agree.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2016, 2:42 PM
BANNED

all the main highway legs in Alberta need some work, even hwy 1 west of Calgary.. but the good news is all the bones are there now, just need to beef up some spots and add interchanges. $5 bil over 10 years should be enough to get existing 1/2/16 routes up to freeway spec

for SW henday, they came a long time ago.. it's already past time to get the road up to a safe spec for the capacity it's carrying

having terwillegar completed between henday and whitemud would be nice to have beforehand (and really, should cost less than the 23av interchange did) but not convinced the city could pull that off in a timely manner..

time to cede that route to the province as hwy 2a?

Old Posted Sep 2, 2016, 6:36 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
I figure it's at least $500m in fixes to make a dent on the SW, which is money the province doesn't have. Wish they'd have started fixing SW Henday and postponed the QE2/Gaetz Ave fix in Red Deer which is merely an irritation compared to the immediate shit show that is SW Henday. I dunno.

Once the NE opens, I wonder if it'll be faster to go counter-clockwise around Henday to get to St Albert at rush hour, if coming from the south? Definitely curious to see what kind of times Google Maps and other apps generate...
Definitely a possibility. I know people in ME Edmonton (and NE of Edmonton) who currently take Henday all the way around the west end to get to the airport and points south right now due to the construction on NE Henday. They swear it is faster.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Sep 2, 2016, 7:36 PM
DRINK

del

Old Posted Sep 2, 2016, 9:32 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
Definitely a possibility. I know people in ME Edmonton (and NE of Edmonton) who currently take Henday all the way around the west end to get to the airport and points south right now due to the construction on NE Henday. They swear it is faster.
Can't wait for the NE leg to open. From our house in Gold Bar it'll be a quick trip up Baseline to 216/ Henday then clear sailing. Will make for much faster trips west out of the city and make the thrice weekly trip to St. Albert so much faster as well

Old Posted Sep 2, 2016, 9:49 PM
Acey

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
In the afternoon rush, Henday CCW is stop and go from 16A to 111 St. So at that time, it would definitely not save you time.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2016, 6:35 PM

Hopefully the province gets going on Ray Gibbon Drive soon. I was up there recently during rush hour and it took me 20 minutes to go from the Henday to Villeneuve Rd.

Here's a video:

Video Link

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton