HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 1:37 PM
JACKinBeantown

"The City’s Zoning Commission on Tuesday recommended denying a developer’s plan to construct 20 residential lofts on a half-acre Tobin Hill tract, saying the proposed development is too dense for the location."

Kinda ugly too.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 2:49 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JACKinBeantown View Post
"The City’s Zoning Commission on Tuesday recommended denying a developer’s plan to construct 20 residential lofts on a half-acre Tobin Hill tract, saying the proposed development is too dense for the location."

Kinda ugly too.
Yeah, plus it's surrounded by a wall. I'd rather have nothing than this.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 4:51 PM
James

Yeah... that's horribly suburban. I'm glad they denied that.

They should build ground retail facing St Mary, two levels of parking and like 2-3 stories on top of that. total floors should be like 5-6. Roof top amenities for them. incorporate that space on the corner... what's with these developers these days?

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep-SA-Lame View Post
Yeah, plus it's surrounded by a wall. I'd rather have nothing than this.
This statement makes no sense.

This part of town run down. I agree it ugly but they are saying it is too dense. (Which I do not see)

Old Posted Aug 22, 2018, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynetwo View Post

This part of town run down. I agree it ugly but they are saying it is too dense. (Which I do not see)
Actually it is part of Tobin Hill, which is not even close to rundown. A cute, 1000sf house one block north is on the market for $385,000 (a little high in my opinion, but still), and a townhome one block south has a sale pending for around $435,000.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 12:03 AM

That part of Tobin Hill is very hit or miss. Just look at the intersection.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 12:23 AM

It definitely does not go with the area.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montirob View Post
Actually it is part of Tobin Hill, which is not even close to rundown. A cute, 1000sf house one block north is on the market for $385,000 (a little high in my opinion, but still), and a townhome one block south has a sale pending for around $435,000.
The majority of Tobin Hill is rundown still. There are a few ok streets and some gorgeous homes that have been rehabbed. But, dilapidated homes with lots of junk in the front or back are still the majority. My wife and I looked at a couple homes for sale in Tobin Hill in the spring and we decided we couldn't drop hundreds of thousands of dollars on a home and be surrounded by derelict houses.

Last edited by txex06; Aug 23, 2018 at 2:55 AM.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 1:28 AM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:

What about it doesn't make sense? It's a garbage proposal. Suburban style townhomes right on N St Mary's St? No thanks.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 1:32 AM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaga185 View Post
Yeah... that's horribly suburban. I'm glad they denied that.

They should build ground retail facing St Mary, two levels of parking and like 2-3 stories on top of that. total floors should be like 5-6. Roof top amenities for them. incorporate that space on the corner... what's with these developers these days?
Yeah these developers are clearly not the brightest. St Mary's is a reasonably happening place these days, you can't tell me there isn't demand for retail in that area (pretty sure that Midtown Station building across the street has completely leased its retail space). I can't find the link but I remember the headline originally being something like "Developer wants 'New York Style' development on St Mary's St". And what's more NYC than a blank wall facing a major street??

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 2:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep-SA-Lame View Post
What about it doesn't make sense? It's a garbage proposal. Suburban style townhomes right on N St Mary's St? No thanks.
My issue was with the density issues they raised. I do not think the density of this project was out of line.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 4:16 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Quote:

Calling that area run down is a bit much.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 1:24 PM

I was worried about this place. Looks like things are moving so fast for this project, though.

https://saheron.com/bella-on-the-riv...ouston-street/

One of the best restaurants downtown.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryguy View Post
I was worried about this place. Looks like things are moving so fast for this project, though.

https://saheron.com/bella-on-the-riv...ouston-street/

One of the best restaurants downtown.

YES IT IS ONE OF THE BEST!!!
And the location to where they are moving is one of the best locations as well!!!

Now, the Floodgate needs to RISE!!!!

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 3:59 PM

Pearl set to Grow and RISE UP????

There is an article in the paper and online mysa.com about Mr. Kit Goldsbury requesting a rezoning change to "infill high density" around the Pearl. And he got it, the area has been rezoned.
I am wondering what Mr. Goldsbury has in mind for the area. Hopefully, some 25-30 story highrises!!

Can anyone post the article, PLEASE??

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 4:31 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Pearl gets room to grow

By Richard Webner

Downtown’s landmark development project has plenty of room to grow after the city voted Tuesday to rezone several acres around the Pearl to allow for high-density development.

Silver Ventures, the development firm that billionaire Christopher “Kit” Goldsbury formed to build the Pearl, asked the city to rezone 7.9 acres of its land to “infill development zone,” a designation which allows for a variety of commercial and residential uses like high-rise offices, apartment buildings, bars and hotels.

The rezoned acreage includes the vacant Samuels Glass Co. warehouse and roughly 3 acres touching the Museum Reach stretch of the River Walk, which has sparked a development bonanza in north downtown since it was built about a decade ago.

The vote, on the Zoning Commission’s consent agenda, cleared the way for Silver Ventures to continue the ambitious expansion of the Pearl it has undertaken over the last decade. The firm has in recent years opened Hotel Emma, one of San Antonio’s most luxurious hotels, and Cellars at Pearl, the city’s most expensive apartment complex.

Cody Doege, president of the Tobin Hill Community Association, said Silver Ventures briefed him on plans to turn the Samuels Glass property into an open-air market and to put a restaurant on the former site of the Fox Motel at 302 Newell Avenue.

Elizabeth Fauerso, a spokeswoman for Silver Ventures, said the company’s initial site plan for the Samuels Glass site is “preliminary” and “indicates an intention for mixed use and public access to the space.”

She declined to comment on possible plans for the restaurant and open-air market.

The Pearl, formerly a blighted brewery complex, has become downtown San Antonio’s greatest success story since Silver Ventures purchased it in 2001 and moved in its first tenant in 2006, thanks in large part to millions of dollars of incentives from the city and county. The community has received accolades from the Urban Land Institute and the American Planning Association.

Within the last couple years, a food hall, a jazz bar and the Hotel Emma luxury hotel have opened there, as well as the tony Cellars at Pearl apartment complex.

Another apartment complex is under construction at the Pearl across Newell from the Samuels Glass warehouse. Local credit union Credit Human is building a 10-story, $112.5 million new headquarters on Broadway with the help of an $8.8 million incentive package from the city and county. The company plans to move 435 employees there from its current headquarters on the North Side and to hire another 50 workers.

Other developers are also flocking to lower Broadway, which the city plans to turn into a landscaped boulevard with $42 million from the most recent bond package. Jefferson Bank recently purchased an entire block on the thoroughfare with plans to move its headquarters there. Downtown developer GrayStreet Partners wants to build a hotel and office tower at the crossing of Broadway and Newell.

Silver Ventures is also working on plans for a small-scale residential development on 4.74 acres of land across the street from Hemisfair, at the corner of Lavaca and Matagorda streets. The firm bought the land from San Antonio Independent School District earlier this year in a $14.5 million deal.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 5:18 PM

Pearl zoning

As with the HDRC, the zoning agendas along with some limited information for each case are available on the city's website.

For the Pearl case, it can be found here: https://sanantonio.legistar.com/Legi...9-113902334F0F

if you click on the "Site Plan," it will show you the parcels that were just rezoned (the old Fox Motel was a different effort). Pay particular attention to the descriptions for the proposed zoning as that can give you a hint as to what the developer envisions (both in height and use). For example, most suburban, 3-4 story, apartment complexes are zoned for 25-33 units per acre. The requested rezoning in this case was to allow 110 units per acre.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 5:28 PM
JACKinBeantown

I found this video:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BnPO_7hDepM

... and pieced together this image from it.

https://i.imgur.com/l6CUmDR.png

I'd say the office building on the far left has one of the best view of SA's skyline.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2018, 7:36 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montirob View Post
As with the HDRC, the zoning agendas along with some limited information for each case are available on the city's website.

For the Pearl case, it can be found here: https://sanantonio.legistar.com/Legi...9-113902334F0F

if you click on the "Site Plan," it will show you the parcels that were just rezoned (the old Fox Motel was a different effort). Pay particular attention to the descriptions for the proposed zoning as that can give you a hint as to what the developer envisions (both in height and use). For example, most suburban, 3-4 story, apartment complexes are zoned for 25-33 units per acre. The requested rezoning in this case was to allow 110 units per acre.
Very interesting, thanks!

Old Posted Sep 12, 2018, 2:38 AM

What some of you were hoping for (I think it was Jack) actually happened.

https://saheron.com/weston-urban-add...own-portfolio/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio