HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Dec 30, 2014, 7:06 PM

Old Posted Dec 30, 2014, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTLAdenizen View Post
Lindbergh Beacon atop City Hall with Grand Park in the foreground by HunterKerhart.com
Larry Harnisch (ladailymirror.com) ragged on Hizzoner about this, to good effect. What a gorgeous picture.

Cheers,

Earl

Old Posted Dec 31, 2014, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorendoc View Post
"House of Better Riding"? Sounds like they will teach you how to trot like a pro.

But this was an auto accessory store (hence the spot lights, shock absorbers etc.) at 1740 N. Highland Avenue:

LAPL-1929 LACD

If you look at the left edge of e_r's post, you can see that there is a cleaning establishment just visible next door. The 1929 CD has a listing for "Napoleon Cleaners and Dyers Inc - 6318 Compton av br 1742 N Highland av" so I think the location is confirmed.

Today there is a six-story apartment/retail complex occupying the SE corner of Yucca and Highland. I like the old structure better.

Could be hidden in plain sight considering the many images posted concerning Hollywood Hotel and its immediate surroundings.

Highland, north of Hollywood Blvd . . .

http://www.pacificelectric.org/wp-co...d-12-27-52.jpg

Old Posted Dec 31, 2014, 1:08 PM

Well done on find the Webb's auto accessories store, Lorendoc. All the Googling I did was leading me to Reading, PA, like this article from a 1935 edition of Reading Eagle. It mentions the "House of Better Riding", and says it was a nickname of the Davis Auto Equipment Company. Although I found out a little more about the company, nothing linked it to a possible LA location.

news.google.com

I'm sure I remember looking for pictures of this section of North Highland before, and they're surprisingly thin on the ground (the one posted above by Godzilla being one of the exceptions). The detail below is the best I could find of the store in question - the "WEBB" sign from e_r's picture is clearly visible where I've arrowed it. I posted HDL's version of the same panorama back in post #22923. The USC version is larger, but not as smooth.

Detail of picture in USC Digital Library

Old Posted Dec 31, 2014, 7:42 PM

Good eye HossC; I would have missed that entirely.
Of course we never would have found it without Lorendoc. Thanks buddy.
__

Beautiful photograph of the old Lindbergh Beacon DTLAdenizen.

I've been trying to find this KCET Huell Howser episode on the beacon. http://www.kcet.org/shows/visiting_w...gh-beacon.html
I didn't realize they found it in a city warehouse in the 1990s. I thought it was always on top of city hall; just not turned on.

Did anyone happen to see this episode?

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Dec 31, 2014 at 7:57 PM.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2014, 8:44 PM

I don't believe we've seen this unique apartment building at 666 S. Bonnie Brae (just off Wilshire Boulevard).

Anne Laskey at http://photos.lapl.org/carlweb/jsp/F...Number=4961087

I was pleasantly surprised to see that it still stands! (it reminds me of some of the places on Bunker Hill)

GSV

...but I don't know for how long. (note the sign on the front door below)

Kansas_sebastian at flickr
__

There's also an interesting apartment building next door. (-also empty)

GSV

By the looks of things, I doubt they'll be around much longer.
__

I just found this better view of the next door neighbor in 2013.

Kansas_Sebastian at flickr

Does anyone have any information on these unique apartment buildings?

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Dec 31, 2014 at 11:31 PM.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2014, 11:06 PM

News item from the Eagle Rock Sentinel, 19 August 1981

Here's a nice looking street clock that we might have missed on NLA.

Eagle Rock Sentinel

Information, with clock history.

http://cdnc.ucr.edu/

...and the good news; the clock has survived.

GSV
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Dec 31, 2014 at 11:32 PM.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2014, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
I don't believe we've seen this unique apartment building at 666 S. Bonnie Brae (just off Wilshire Boulevard).

Anne Laskey at http://photos.lapl.org/carlweb/jsp/F...Number=4961087

I was surprised to see that it still stands! (it reminds me of some of the places on Bunker Hill)

GSV

...but I don't know for how long. (note the sign on the front door below)

Kansas_sebastian at flickr
__

Does anyone have any information on these unique apartment buildings?

__

666 is marvelous and wonderfully intact—it BETTER get landmarked, and soon. It's an important piece of the Bonnie Brae fabric, and one of our few unmolested Mission apartment buildings (they always tend to lose their parapets and towers and so on). It was built in 1910 and designed by Charles C. Rittenhouse, AKA first Mayor of Tropico (Glendale) and who built about thirty-forty structures around LA. Rittenhouse was quite gifted and that he's largely forgotten now needs to be rectified. (And yes, this does have a certain Bunker Hill quality to it in its massing; relatedly, CCR was the architect of an apartment bldg on Flower btw 2nd and 3rd but I haven't nailed it down yet.) Am unfamiliar with Heather's neighbor to the south so will have to do a little digging there at some point soon.

Here, for example, are two archetypal Ritten-houses (though he did public buildings, churches, etc.), in a Times piece from January 1912—

Obviously, Olympic & Fig, and Flower south of Fifth, don't have these kind of structures any longer...and here's one (long-gone) in a similar Mission vein by Rittenhouse—

—not to say there are none extant, here's one over by 666, a block over and half-block down—

Old Posted Dec 31, 2014, 11:24 PM

Thanks for the additional information Beaudry. -much appreciated.
__

The Garage Beautiful. -capacity 1,000 cars!

ebay

Metropolitan Garage LTD.
417 So. Spring Street
Los Angeles

ebay

General Manager, G.M. Sage

The old Metropolitan Garage still stands. (remodeled in 1954)

GSV

GSV

In 2008, before the economy collapsed, there were plans to convert the 13-story building into a Holiday Inn.

http://blogdowntown.com/2008/01/3093...n-with-history

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Dec 31, 2014 at 11:34 PM.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2014, 11:36 PM

So here's an image from my collection that I finally scanned, and it got me to thinking, of the (I'd guess) ten people on the planet who'd recognize the location, all ten of them are likely on this thread. New Year's Quiz Time! Where was this taken?

(And does the graffito at left say what I think it does? My word!)

Old Posted Jan 1, 2015, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudry View Post
666 is marvelous and wonderfully intact—it BETTER get landmarked, and soon. It's an important piece of the Bonnie Brae fabric, and one of our few unmolested Mission apartment buildings (they always tend to lose their parapets and towers and so on). It was built in 1910 and designed by Charles C. Rittenhouse, AKA first Mayor of Tropico (Glendale) and who built about thirty-forty structures around LA. Rittenhouse was quite gifted and that he's largely forgotten now needs to be rectified. (And yes, this does have a certain Bunker Hill quality to it in its massing; relatedly, CCR was the architect of an apartment bldg on Flower btw 2nd and 3rd but I haven't nailed it down yet.)
Beaudry, here's why I'm so worried about 666 S. Bonnie Brae and it's boarded up neighbor.

While searching for additional photos & information on 666. S Bonnie Brae I came across this photograph.*

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kansas...an/8351240485/

It shows the 'Italian Villa Apartments' at 746 S. Burlington Avenue; a block away from 666 S. Bonnie Brae.
It was built in 1922 by Thos. B. Morrison.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kansas...an/8352300434/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/kansas...an/8351240485/

When I drove the google-mobile over to Burlington to check it out, I was startled to see that it has been swallowed up by a mega-unit apartment building.

google_earth

The massive new building stretches from Burlington to Beacon.

below: Here's the former site of the 1922 'Italian Villa Apartments' at 746 S. Burlington Avenue.

GSV

below: Here's the Beacon Avenue side of the mega-unit apartment building.

GSV

The new building looks cheap, and the loss of the 'Italian Villa' apartment, that stood on that spot for 90 years, is tragic.
__

UPDATE:

*On flickr, the Kansas_Sebastian photograph of the old 'Italian Villa' is labeled 2013; yet when I went back and looked at the 2007 GSV the 'Italian Villa' was already gone.
Could K_Sebastian have the address wrong? -or is the 2013 date incorrect? Sorry for the confusion....I just noticed this discrepancy.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 1, 2015 at 12:29 AM.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2015, 12:31 AM

Quote:
So here's an image from my collection that I finally scanned, and it got me to thinking, of the (I'd guess) ten people on the planet who'd recognize the location, all ten of them are likely on this thread. New Year's Quiz Time! Where was this taken?

(And does the graffito at left say what I think it does? My word!)
My guess. One Bunker Hill or the old So. Cal Edison building on 5th St.?

Happy new year to all!

Old Posted Jan 1, 2015, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Beaudry, here's why I'm so worried about 666 S. Bonnie Brae and it's boarded up neighbor.

While searching for additional photos & information on 666. S Bonnie Brae I came across this photograph.

Kansas_Sebastian at flickr

It shows the 'Italian Villa Apartments' at 746 S. Burlington Avenue; a block away from 666 S. Bonnie Brae.
It was built in 1922 by Thos. B. Morrison.

KansaS_Sebastian at flickr

When I drove the google-mobile over to Burlington to check it out, I was startled to see that it has been swallowed up by a mega-unit apartment building.

google_earth

The massive new building stretches from Burlington to Beacon.

below: Here's the former site of the 1922 'Italian Villa Apartments' at 746 S. Burlington Avenue.

GSV

below: Here's the Beacon Avenue side of the mega-unit apartment building.

GSV

The new building looks cheap, and the loss of the 'Italian Villa' apartment, that stood on that spot for 90 years, is tragic.

__
Tragic is an exceptionally kind word. Italian Villa was remarkable (my God, look at the original inward-opening windows, and the WOOD!), but the City loves its demo permits.

IV was a better building, IMHO, than—for example—than Morrison's Deighton, billed as such: a fully renovated Los Angeles historic building, The Deighton maintains all the charm of a bygone architectural era (from here) so could not the IV have played up its historic charm, rather than be felled for that...thing?

Old Posted Jan 1, 2015, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by so-cal-bear View Post
My guess. One Bunker Hill or the old So. Cal Edison building on 5th St.?

Happy new year to all!
DING DING DING!

Old Posted Jan 1, 2015, 1:32 AM

Well that was fast.
__

I just came across this exceptional sepia postcard of the Briggs Apartments (later renamed the Barbara Worth).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/California-R...item4ae27fc627

reverse (it says there were 52 apartments...I can't read the rest)

__

gsjansen posted this funny snapshot way back in 2010. (the Briggs is visible in the background)

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=1289
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 1, 2015 at 1:43 AM.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2015, 1:58 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Well that was fast.
__

I just came across this exceptional sepia postcard of the Briggs Apartments (later renamed the Barbara Worth).

reverse (it says there were 52 apartments...I can't read the rest)

__

__
" ...You can see only a small part of it from this picture....it is big - 52 apartments - all have[?] 2 rooms and some four..."

Sometimes people add in shorthand, which I do not know. My mom and her father were shorthand experts...not me. They were both professional secretaries.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2015, 6:08 AM

(I apologize if this has been covered, but with such an enormous thread my computer will not allow me to open this thread in nested view.)

In addition to ProphetB's correction, to which I have taken the liberty to add a link in tovangar2's quote below: Plaza Street was originally the southern edge of the Plaza, skirting the old fire house and the Pico House, and then continuing more or less into Republic Street west of Main. The north side of the Plaza was Marchessault Street, which continued into Church (or Bread) Street.

Tovangar2's initial guess regarding Sunset is basically correct. As initially routed, Sunset Boulevard began more or less as a westward continuation of Marchessault just north of the old church, replacing Church Street; even to this day the original alignment is visible as the main entrance to and driveway through the huge accretion of parking lots that has spread over most of the area. But Bellevue is closer to the modern alignment.

As we all know, Sunset was later realigned to join Macy Street, and still later renamed, in honor of Cesar Chavez. When the realignment took place, I don't know, but it can't have been any earlier than the mid 1950s; maps exist from that time which still show the old alignment for Sunset. For many years, allusions in old sources to the Plaza Church at "Main and Sunset" had puzzled me, and it was only a few weeks ago that I learned the explanation. Perhaps the realignment of Sunset happened when the Plaza was closed to motor traffic.

Some confusion may commonly result from the fact that "Paseo de la Plaza" is a apparently retronym, if you will, devised by the park authorities to mean the entire Plaza, and often used that way when they give their address--125 Paseo De La Plaza.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post
I think that's Sunset passing the north end of the Plaza then turning into Bellevue as it rounds the corner with the white building on it before meeting Alameda at an angle. Ferguson on the left. Olvera St buried in the block on the right. (?) (My '48 Gillespie's Guide has tiny type.) Anyway, we're on the Union Station block, corner of Macy. (see ProphetM's corrections on the next page)

P.S.

google maps

The building with the stepped gable ends is still there, the white building in the old photo is next to it, now with a peaked roof and some new "Spainish" arches at its base (man, Christine Sterling musta been working overtime). The church behind it also appears in both images. One can also see the shadow of the triangular block in the foreground of the old photo in the google maps image. And hey, there's the Avila Adobe

This Is Probably The Oldest Intact School Building In L.A.

Last edited by Those Who Squirm!; Jan 4, 2015 at 7:32 AM.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2015, 7:08 AM

He looks like a model in an ad for bathrobes. I realize they didn't usually use Minoxes for this sort of thing, but could this have been some sort of "rough draft" picture, possibly done in great haste and with the intention of submitting the idea to some ad agency board meeting? The need for Ninja like nimbleness and fleetness of foot might also account for the Minox.

Quote:
Now here's one y'all haven't seen, I'm guessing, it being a snapshot from your average pile of thrift store snapshots.

The only information we have is that it's a stamped Minox print, 16.8.67. So, who was shooting in Los Angeles with a foreign spy camera during the summer of love? And why is this guy in a robe and sandals in the middle of the Bradbury?

This Is Probably The Oldest Intact School Building In L.A.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2015, 4:27 PM

1940s negatives of the Los Angeles area on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/N490-19-C-19...item566ec80986

below: This group of negatives is the most enigmatic. Does anyone recognize this garden setting? (hired musicians...an interesting hillside with a sign and pole lighting at far right)

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 1, 2015 at 8:16 PM.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2015, 5:30 PM

A Happy New Year to All.

Sheet cake for a New Year's celebration at City Hall. Decorated to resemble a Western Union telegram, it reads, "To all city officials and employees, Los Angeles, Calif., A Happy New Year to All, signed Mayor Fletcher Bowron." - from source, circa 1940.

LAPL

LAPL

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos