HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Feb 11, 2022, 3:36 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

^^^^

As an example: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...2_M61927-95026

This is not bad. For something near I-78, near many many jobs and a 30-45 minute commute to major job centers like Newark NJ and its proxies, not bad, but taxes are almost 10k a year.

Your NJ town will vary of course but considering the benefit of being near say NYC or Philly, NJ continues to be a bargain compared to say California, which is off the charts price wise.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2022, 4:03 AM
if I sang out of tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
When it comes to world cities, I can't think of another country with the same 1-2 punch that America has with NYC and LA..I don't necessarily mean in size, but by occupying global space culturally as well..L.A because of it's large dominant movie and music industry.

London/Liverpool - nope
Rome/Milan- nope
China?
France?
etc?
Ooh China would have Beijing of course -culture, power, investment - largest amount of fortune 500 companies and billionaires in the world, world's best contemporary art scene/ largest art producer and biggest bureaucratic sector, home to 7 UNESCO World Heritage Sites (biggest concentration in the world).

Shanghai -the 'head of the dragon': media, business, science and finance (ranked 3rd largest and most competitive in the world behind London and NYC), world's biggest port, subway and city proper, world's biggest urban region and most connected city, world's most expensive city (Baer), 2nd highest amount of billionaires.

Hong Kong -the 'mouth of the dragon' - business and export, and China's funnel to the rest of the globe, world's highest concentration of UHNW individuals, most skyscrapers and highrises, the top 2 busiest international air routes, most visited city

Guangzhou and Shenzhen (or is that Shenzhen-Guangzhou?) - global tech and trends, SZ world's hardware capital (and soon software), home to Huawei, Tencent, DJI and ZTE. World's largest and most built up city, 3rd biggest port, 4th highest amount of billionaires (SZ -just behind NYC) and 9th (GZ) respectively, of course no 1 if you counted them together.

All of this but notably Beijing and Shenzhen that are the world's start-up capitals, and are seriously going to go places in the future.

I'd also pay a nod (but currently only within China) to Chengdu, Chongqing and Changsha -massive interior cities that have become cultural capitals for fashion, music and trends for the whole country and beyond -where most global TikTok trends source from. Built on the backs of the sweatshops from the noughties -long churning out fast fashion and trends for the rest of the world -but then appropriating their own versions that became giants. I'd call these the 'cultural' producers of the empire.

Last edited by muppet; Feb 13, 2022 at 6:26 PM.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2022, 4:36 AM
if I sang out of tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
This seems like a pretty good list to me. China is tricky, as they are somewhat culturally cut off from much of the world, so it's hard to say they're comparable to the NY-LA dynamic when it comes to cultural impact. They also now can claim Hong Kong, which does play in that same global cultural scene, but obviously has a tenuous relationship to the rest of China.
Don't underestimate the soft power that doesn't reach beyond Western battlements but emanates across billions in Asia, Africa, Lat Am that occupy the minds of multiple times the size of the Western market. Trade, tech, tourism and food would be a big starter, that even we've heard of here. But in the last 5 years there's been an absolute flowering of the arts and culture, in line with the fact the middle class is hitting 70% of the urban population, and the last age bulge is hitting their twenties -now the largest in the world -and they're demanding content. The reason China's birthrates have plummeted recently is these kids don't want any of their own rn, they wanna party.

Mandopop and Mando-dramas, media agencies, art and fashion -some of the ones that have penetrated to our side in the last few years is TikTok, Shein (now the largest ecomms company in the world), SCMP, Nio, DJI, Alibaba Express, Huawei and of course the video game market. I'm starting to see a lot of posh Chinese chains opening in London now with queues round the block, such as Haidilao (hotpoint joint that gives out free manicures etc while you wait), Happy Lemon (lemon bubble tea), and Din Tai Fung (Shanghai dumplings).

The film industry though -despite being the world's largest and churning out 1,000 films each year- they can keep. The independent or artsy stuff is great, but blockbusters are unwatchable -at the Rambo stage of cultural connection still, that doesn't chime well with the rest of Asia given Xi's constant sabre rattling.

Anyhoo, Mandopop would be a good example of where it's at -what is in effect a typical globalised offering, but like many parts of the world it's starting to come into its own and export a new version, similar to K-pop. Rap's been big in China for about a decade now (the language very much lends itself to the rhythm), but they're starting to insert a lot of homegrown iconography and experiment with the structure (in their English language versions you'll notice they sometimes switch into lisping, that's currently a thang -a nod to the dweebs). Anyhoo, the Sinic scene:

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link

Last edited by muppet; Feb 13, 2022 at 6:33 PM.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2022, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
^^^^

As an example: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...2_M61927-95026

This is not bad. For something near I-78, near many many jobs and a 30-45 minute commute to major job centers like Newark NJ and its proxies, not bad, but taxes are almost 10k a year.

Your NJ town will vary of course but considering the benefit of being near say NYC or Philly, NJ continues to be a bargain compared to say California, which is off the charts price wise.
Meanwhile this $1.5 million USD home in Toronto pays $4,300USD/yr in property tax.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2022, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppet View Post
I'm starting to see a lot of posh Chinese chains opening in London now with queues round the block, such as Haidilao (hotpot joint that gives out free manicures etc while you wait)
Do...do people actually want that though? That hotpot must be delicious because people getting their nails done is the last thing I want around my food. At least it's not pedicures.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2022, 3:44 PM

Fastest growing municipalities in Ontario:

East Gwillimbury (pop: 34,637) +44%
The Blue Mountains (pop: 9,390) +34%
New Tecumseth (pop: 43,948) +28%

East Gwillimbury and New Tecumseth are exurbs, while the Blue Mountains is an affluent vacation area about 100 miles northwest of Toronto.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2022, 5:07 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docere View Post
An uptick in population in the Maritimes. Halifax had the fastest-growing downtown in Canada.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...on-highlights/
PERCENTAGE CHANGE IN POPULATION WHEN COMPARED TO PREVIOUS CENSUS, BY CENSUS DIVISION

______________________________________________ -10% decrease__________ -5% decrease__________ 0%__________ 5% increase__________ 10% increase
________

^

2011 to 2016

2006 to 2011

2001 to 2006

Old Posted Feb 11, 2022, 5:09 PM

Looking at that Canadian map, I don't see an urban exodus. I see faster growth in the fringe than in the core, but looks like rural Canada is generally emptying out and metropolitan Canada is growing quickly.

So basically the same as the rest of the world.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2022, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Looking at that Canadian map, I don't see an urban exodus. I see faster growth in the fringe than in the core, but looks like rural Canada is generally emptying out and metropolitan Canada is growing quickly.

So basically the same as the rest of the world.
Quebec and Ontario saw an increase in rural total population between 2016-2021.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2022, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppet View Post
Don't underestimate the soft power that doesn't reach beyond Western battlements but emanates across billions in Asia, Africa, Lat Am that occupy the minds of multiple times the size of the Western market. Trade, tech, tourism and food would be a big starter, that even we've heard of here. But in the last 5 years there's been an absolute flowering of the arts and culture, in line with the fact the middle class is hitting 70% of the urban population, and the last age bulge is hitting their twenties -now the largest in the world -and they're demanding content. The reason China's birthrates have plummeted recently is these kids don't want any of their own rn, they wanna party.

Mandopop and Mando-dramas, media agencies, art and fashion -some of the ones that have penetrated to our side in the last few years is TikTok, Shein (now the largest ecomms company in the world), SCMP, Nio, DJI, Alibaba Express, Huawei and of course the video game market. I'm starting to see a lot of posh Chinese chains opening in London now with queues round the block, such as Haidilao (hotpoint joint that gives out free manicures etc while you wait), Happy Lemon (lemon bubble tea), and Din Tai Fung (Shanghai dumplings).

The film industry though -despite being the world's largest and churning out 1,000 films each year- they can keep. The independent or artsy stuff is great, but blockbusters are unwatchable -at the Rambo stage of cultural connection still, that doesn't chime well with the rest of Asia given Xi's constant sabre rattling.

Anyhoo, Mandopop would be a good example of where it's at -what is in effect a typical globalised offering, but like many parts of the world it's starting to come into its own and export a new version, similar to K-pop. Rap's been big in China for about a decade now (the language very much lends itself to the rhythm), but they're starting to insert a lot of homegrown iconography and experiment with the structure (in their English language versions you'll notice occasionally they sometimes start lisping, that's currently a thang -a nod to the dweebs). Anyhoo, the Sinic scene:

Video Link

Video Link

Video Link
Lay and Jackson are from K-pop groups EXO and GOT7.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2022, 8:45 PM
if I sang out of tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
Do...do people actually want that though? That hotpot must be delicious because people getting their nails done is the last thing I want around my food. At least it's not pedicures.
Yeah it's a waiting area separate from the eating one, you sit in the lobby where they do facials, hand massages, manicures (men and women), kiddies creche, free fruit, teas and snacks, plus games and some have cinemas. You can get posh Haidilaos and cheap ones, but it's mostly posh ones that they're opening now as the brand grows.

Upstairs is where you eat - robot waiters and the chefs come out to show noodle making, which you can try too.

It's a mix of self service (eat as much as you wanna dips n toppings), automated machinery and human theatre.

In Beijing and Singapore they've gone full AI and staffless, where you can watch the machines prep your order -which kinda makes sense as the diners are the ones doing the human touch of cooking their own meals (as a hotpot).

http://www.thatsmags.com/image/view/...oRobotArms.jpg

Last edited by muppet; Feb 13, 2022 at 6:51 PM.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2022, 8:58 PM
if I sang out of tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labtec View Post
Lay and Jackson are from K-pop groups EXO and GOT7.
Yep but they're Chinese, and the others they're collabing with in those groups are Chinese standalones too (hence why they're rapping in Mandarin -the other artists won't be on Youtube, some don't even have a translated name). Many Asian band members run other projects on the side, seperate from the group - their own dance/ rap/ soul spins etc, and often on their home turf. These guys are also opening 'bases' in the US, but literally impossible to crack.

If ya prefer these are some more C-Popsters who made it the other way round - coming from impoverished central China (the new hipster capitals I mentioned earlier -Chengdu and Changsha) and making it in the rest of the country, before their inroads into Korea

Video Link

This one's a golden oldie from 2017 (she now does dreary ballads), but shows the way Mandarin goes so well with rap (short sharp words and tonal language makes it naturally lyrical):

Video Link

And if you want to see where it's all heading - world of the weird - this takes a lot of range from traditional Chinese Opera to produce a very sinic sound. Art direction is flipping fantastic -and once again, no translatable name:

Video Link

Of course the West has no idea any of this goes on outside it's own bubble, and likely won't for the foreseeable, which is a shame.

Last edited by muppet; Feb 13, 2022 at 6:52 PM.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2022, 10:44 AM

Thanks for sharing that, Muppet. Haidilao looks like a damn spectacle. I'm glad you've put it on my radar.

Speaking of spectacles, that SHIHOU video above is pretty great too.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2022, 7:30 AM
if I sang out of tune

Thanks man, yeah it sounds a lot like Beijing Opera (but without the pings and dings) - a sound inspired by birdsong

Old Posted Mar 5, 2022, 4:12 PM

Ukraine

------------- Population ---- Births ---- Deaths
1989 ------ 51,944,000 --- 690,981 --- 600,590
1999 ------ 49,918,100 --- 389,208 --- 739,170
2009 ------ 46,143,714 --- 512,525 --- 706,739
2019 ------ 42,153,201 --- 308,817 --- 581,114
2021 ------ 41,167,336 --- 271,984 --- 714,263

Not a census, but I guess it's an interesting topic. As the war unfolds, we'll also have big demographic consequences for Ukraine, which is already one of the most challenged coutries in this regard.

The UN is now estimating more than 10 million people will flee their houses and 4 million of them will leave the country. With only 7 days of war, over 1 million Ukrainians have left the country.

I really don't see how the country will ever recover.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2022, 6:20 PM
Never Dell

I wonder how many of those 4 million will return.

The past numbers suggest significant outmigration along with natural decrease. But wow what a drop.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2022, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
I wonder how many of those 4 million will return.

The past numbers suggest significant outmigration along with natural decrease. But wow what a drop.
Hard to say, but Ukraine isn't letting males between ages 18 and 60 leave so there will be some incentive to return for families.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2022, 7:28 PM

Some of that loss between 2009 and 2019 would have been from losing Crimea, but yea, not a healthy decline at all. Russia has similar demographic issues though.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2022, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Some of that loss between 2009 and 2019 would have been from losing Crimea, but yea, not a healthy decline at all. Russia has similar demographic issues though.
All of Eastern Europe is rapidly falling in population. The war in Ukraine will halt this decrease for everyone else except Ukraine.

One a side note, Canada has most likely already passed Ukraine in population this year about a decade ahead of schedule.
in 1990 Ukraine had more than twice Canada's population

Old Posted Mar 6, 2022, 1:37 PM

According to several news outlets, UN is reporting that over 1.5 million Ukrainians have fled the country in the first 10 days of war. Here a link from UN itself: https://data2.unhcr.org/en/situations/ukraine

Poland got the majority of them (756,000) and they dropped any requirement, even paperwork. It's reported they're ready to welcome 1 million (a number that's getting close already). Germany officially welcomed 38,000 Ukrainians, but the number is likely much higher as there are no controls on the Polish-German border.

Moldova reported that as March 3rd, 146,000 Ukrainians crossed the borders into the country of which only 65,500 still remain there. Even though it's a small and impoverished country, that suggest refugees will quickly spread through Europe and even Americas (US, Canada and Brazil, the three with big diasporas, announced they will take refugees as well).

The brightside is, Ukrainians, unlike happened to Syrians, are having a warm welcoming and I don't think they will have much trouble to eventually settle in those countries.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions