HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 2:46 AM

New Rochelle

I will be moving to New Rochelle from DC next month. I was looking at apartments there yesterday but I was curious about what is the Dec equivalent of New Rochelle? Clarendon or Silver Spring?

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 11:53 AM

I don't think there's an exact equivalent. NR would have elements of Bethesda, Silver Spring and the Arlington Metro corridor neighborhoods. Like Bethesda, NR has some upscale, establishmentarian areas (Wykagel and waterfront areas), like Silver Spring, its very polyglot and mixed-income and has a bit of grit, like Arlington it serves somewhat as a more affordable, close-in, transit-oriented alternative to the core city.

The station will undergo a renovation/expansion in the coming years, so that will be nice. Also, there are a lot of downtown highrise developments planned and Iona University is expanding. A major linear park corridor is also in development.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 1:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 202_Cyclist View Post
I will be moving to New Rochelle from DC next month. I was looking at apartments there yesterday but I was curious about what is the Dec equivalent of New Rochelle? Clarendon or Silver Spring?
Welcome to the area. I’m too originally from the DC area but moved up here to NYC a while ago (28 yrs) but still have lots of family down in the DMV. I’d probably say that New Rochelle is probably the equivalent to Silver Spring, Rockville MD or Reston, Clarendon, etc VA is to DC. New Rochelle sits right next to I95 and you’re near Tarrytown, White Plains, Yonkers, NY and Greenwich, Stamford, CT (and many other town centers). Most people outside the NYC area don’t realize how big the metro area is up here especially when you consider that it encompasses 30 counties including the five inside NYC. Good luck 👍 with your move!

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 1:24 PM

Westchester is most similar to Montgomery so I'd say that would be the DC-area equivalent. Easier to make county comparisons than city comparisons, IMO.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Westchester is most similar to Montgomery so I'd say that would be the DC-area equivalent. Easier to make county comparisons than city comparisons, IMO.
Agreed…..

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 1:41 PM

Thank you for your observations. I think in terms of demographics, Silver Spring might be most similar to New Rochelle and in its built form, there are similarities to Bethesda, Clarendon, and Silver Spring, as both of you noted above.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 3:05 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I don't think there's an exact equivalent. NR would have elements of Bethesda, Silver Spring and the Arlington Metro corridor neighborhoods. Like Bethesda, NR has some upscale, establishmentarian areas (Wykagel and waterfront areas), like Silver Spring, its very polyglot and mixed-income and has a bit of grit, like Arlington it serves somewhat as a more affordable, close-in, transit-oriented alternative to the core city.

The station will undergo a renovation/expansion in the coming years, so that will be nice. Also, there are a lot of downtown highrise developments planned and Iona University is expanding. A major linear park corridor is also in development.
clearly you looked all this up, why not post your links?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions