HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Apr 9, 2019, 1:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patapouf26 View Post
It may be a sale between private parties.

It's got to be the school. Gov't had said they wanted to relieve overcrowding at Champlain and Sommet schools - this is right between those two.

The size of the plot of land also makes sense. It's going to be something like 1,300 students.

Cue Vision Lands revival speculation?

Old Posted Apr 9, 2019, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballFan View Post
Not sure if this was previously mentioned or not, but Sobeys Land Holdings acquired this piece of land along Harrisville Blvd from the Carson family last year. Just noticed it today. Possibly a new store location?

As an FYI, PlazaCorp owns the piece in green directly to the east.

This very much appears to be a Sobeys, I checked some of the documents that were registered and there's a right of way registered for the lands behind and Schedule "A" has the following:

https://ibb.co/FH0gngz

Looks like a Sobeys store with an additional vacant CRU on the left.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2019, 2:51 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCR View Post
Looks like a Sobeys store with an additional vacant CRU on the left.
Good detective work!

Certainly looks like a full fledged Sobey's grocery store to me. The attached CRU would almost certainly be a new ANBL store. They often go hand in hand.

Of course, all this doesn't mean that construction is imminent, but it certainly indicates the company's intent..........

The orientation of the store on the site plan seems to place it facing northeast, away from Harrisville Blvd, but it would be facing towards a "future street" between the Sobey's and the property outlined in green above, which BaseballFan says is owned by Plaza Corp. Sounds like there may be a small retail plaza in the offing too.............

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebs View Post
Cue Vision Lands revival speculation?
A revival would be good, but It's certainly not dead. There are new houses springing up here and there, a bunch of row houses already have their footings poured (along Park Place Lane) and, as mentioned before, two new large apartment buildings are now on Leopold-Belliveau Road. The place would be absolutely booming if it were connected to Crowley Farm Road, but that may take a while since a small bridge/culvert ($$$) would need to be built over Hall's Creek.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 9:07 PM

Quote:
It's got to be the school. Gov't had said they wanted to relieve overcrowding at Champlain and Sommet schools - this is right between those two.
Dominic Cardy has confirmed to the TnT newspaper this is indeed the site of the new school.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'homard View Post
Dominic Cardy has confirmed to the TnT newspaper this is indeed the site of the new school.
Link : https://tj.news/story/100899974?ref=...ref_map=%5B%5D

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 1:40 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Locator map from the T&T article.

Given the immediate proximity of Ecole l'Odyssee and Ecole Mascaret, this neighbourhood should become highly attractive to the francophone population of Moncton.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 2:42 AM

Plus the high school's long time efforts to get a sports field just gained momentum.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 12:09 PM

I wonder what this means for traffic on McLaughlin. 2,500 students-worth of buses and parents, all feeding in off one street?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 12:36 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
I wonder what this means for traffic on McLaughlin. 2,500 students-worth of buses and parents, all feeding in off one street?
Between this and the back entrance into Costco, this may finally prove to be the impetus to put in the TCH interchange on McLaughlin.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2019, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Between this and the back entrance into Costco, this may finally prove to be the impetus to put in the TCH interchange on McLaughlin.
Or at least continuing Léopold Belliveau Rd. towards Crowley Farm Rd (and even LJR Blvd.) so that all this traffic doesn't clog up the McLaughlin/Morton intersection.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2019, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patapouf26 View Post
so that all this traffic doesn't clog up the McLaughlin/Morton intersection.
Too late

Old Posted Apr 15, 2019, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Or maybe...repave McLaughlin so it doesn't feel like you're driving down a goat path.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2019, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photo1 View Post
Or maybe...repave McLaughlin so it doesn't feel like you're driving down a goat path.
Hennessey Rd, across from the school in question makes McLaughlin seem like you are driving on a fluffy cloud.

Someone should open a service centre along that strip, specializing in suspension repairs.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gehrhardt View Post
Hennessey Rd, across from the school in question makes McLaughlin seem like you are driving on a fluffy cloud.
It's a total embarrassment and now with the added Costco and MHS traffic it's literally falling apart by the day. I've been in war zones, literally, with far better streets.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2019, 12:48 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I'm also impressed at how much Elmwood Drive (between the TCH and Morton) deteriorates each year, despite annual repairs. This smacks to me of a very poor road bed.

This section of the city is only going to continue to grow. The city (and province) will really have to pony up with the big bucks to improve road infrastructure in this section of the city, especially Elmwood, McLaughlin, Hennessy and a new McLaughlin/TCH interchange.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2019, 1:38 PM

McLaughlin is a heavy use commuter rd, i travel everyday 2-4 times a day, it has been falling apart for about 7 years now.. it needs a proper road bed and better ditching. I am kinda happy its getting more attention now that costco is on it.

I have had to fully replace my suspension 3 times now(every 2 years) just from commuting on it. but i don t pay city tax.. so i guess it evens out .

They should have at leased fixed those culverts that flood every spring, and had a better intersection in there as part of the granite DR development. the whole intersection seemed like an after thought.(like every other thing moncton approves)

The city now will have to foot the bill to fix it all.. so costco can have good traffic flow, same as they had to in the north end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'homard View Post
It's a total embarrassment and now with the added Costco and MHS traffic it's literally falling apart by the day. I've been in war zones, literally, with far better streets.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good2go View Post
Too late
I agree! I live in the area and it's surprising how long my 3 Km commute can take . Imagine in a few years, with a new school and more development in the Vision Lands. Don't get me wrong, I would never trade for any other area in the GMA. When rush hour is done, I can get to anywhere in town within 5-10 minutes (often in less!).

Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 10:19 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Found on Indeed.com

Quote:
We are opening up a New Wendy's location attached to the Shell on Harrisville Blvd. in late June 2019!! We are looking for Full-time and Part-time employees, and will train our new recruits in one of our three other locations located in Moncton, Dieppe, and Riverview.
The new Wendy's on Harrisville is not new news, but now we know they expect to open in June.

Old Posted May 7, 2019, 11:57 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

The final roadblock to this new apartment project on Pleasant Street has been cleared:

Brutalist-style Moncton church rezoned to make way for new apartment building
Archbishop Valéry Vienneau said diocese needs money and would demolish the building regardless
Tori Weldon · CBC News · Posted: May 07, 2019 8:04 AM AT | Last Updated: 44 minutes ago
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...lism-1.5125606

Some notes:

Quote:
Albert Boudreau of Moncton-based ATMJ Properties Inc., said he made changes to the design of the apartment building to change the roof. He also said he decided to incorporate the bell tower into his development, "in honour of the architects involved in the original design both the bell tower and the church."
Quote:
The developer now plans to start construction by mid-summer and have the project done within a year.

The bell tower will be saved.

Last edited by MonctonRad; May 7, 2019 at 12:15 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces