HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Mar 9, 2019, 6:32 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post

Interesting. Do you know which spot it's taking?
Apparently next to Ed's Sub.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 9:00 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Well, we now know what will be replacing St-Louis-de-France Catholic Church on Pleasant Street near Lewisville Road, and bounding Humphrey Brook.

Location map

Site plan

Elevations

Renderings

This is a fairly large four storey apartment building, and is essentially a complement to the existing development on the other side of the linear park and trail along Humphrey Brook.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 2:22 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

CBC article about the debate over this project:

Brutalist-style Moncton church to be replaced by apartment building
Architecture historian says building is one of the best examples of brutalism in province
Shane Magee · CBC News · Posted: Mar 20, 2019 5:00 AM AT | Last Updated: 6 hours ago
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...ture-1.5062208

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

CBC article about the debate over this project:

Brutalist-style Moncton church to be replaced by apartment building
Architecture historian says building is one of the best examples of brutalism in province
Shane Magee · CBC News · Posted: Mar 20, 2019 5:00 AM AT | Last Updated: 6 hours ago
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...ture-1.5062208
Article says "Moncton-based ATMJ Properties Inc. plans what a city staff report describes as a "higher end" four-storey apartment building with underground parking.". I see nothing "high end" here except perfect green grass and crack free paved parking lot. But seriously, if I was driving by and looking for a new apartment, which of the two apartments across from each other would I look at first? 125 Hall's Landing or this place?

The only high end option I see here is the top floor view of downtown from the tiny 2 person balcony.

Sorry for my rant...haven't posted in a while. Need to let it out!

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budyser View Post
Article says "Moncton-based ATMJ Properties Inc. plans what a city staff report describes as a "higher end" four-storey apartment building with underground parking.". I see nothing "high end" here except perfect green grass and crack free paved parking lot. But seriously, if I was driving by and looking for a new apartment, which of the two apartments across from each other would I look at first? 125 Hall's Landing or this place?

The only high end option I see here is the top floor view of downtown from the tiny 2 person balcony.

Sorry for my rant...haven't posted in a while. Need to let it out!

100% agree with you! This is such a prominent location in the city, with excellent views, it’s sadly another 4 story, plastic siding, suburban apartment complex. There needs to be a little more effort put into the design of buildings in prominent locations.. yes land is cheap, but your design doesn’t have to be.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 4:46 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctoncore View Post
100% agree with you! This is such a prominent location in the city, with excellent views, it’s sadly another 4 story, plastic siding, suburban apartment complex. There needs to be a little more effort put into the design of buildings in prominent locations.. yes land is cheap, but your design doesn’t have to be.
To be fair, I believe the construction is brick and wood laminate (no vinyl siding), but I agree that the architectural style of the building is uninspired to say the least. Hall's Landing on the other side of the creek may also be only four floors, but is at least visually interesting. I think the developer could do better.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2019, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budyser View Post
I see nothing "high end" here except perfect green grass and crack free paved parking lot.
Agreed.

For what it's worth there were references to underground parking, and I've been in ATMJ's Mountain Road building and the apartments have decent fixtures, etc, but nothing spectacular.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 7:03 PM

Not sure if this was previously mentioned or not, but Sobeys Land Holdings acquired this piece of land along Harrisville Blvd from the Carson family last year. Just noticed it today. Possibly a new store location?

As an FYI, PlazaCorp owns the piece in green directly to the east.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 8:21 PM
Non-Farmers, Farm Celery

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballFan View Post
Not sure if this was previously mentioned or not, but Sobeys Land Holdings acquired this piece of land along Harrisville Blvd from the Carson family last year. Just noticed it today. Possibly a new store location?

As an FYI, PlazaCorp owns the piece in green directly to the east.

In that area I think a Needs Fast Fuel/Shell location might work I don't know that a full grocery store would but maybe even the Sobeys Express like they have in Salisbury.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2019, 10:18 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Interesting.

That's a prime piece of land (corner of Harrisville and Highway 11/15, and right next to Kent).

Way back when, this was one of the three or four places in the city we were pegging as a future site of the new Costco.

Could it be that Sobeys might build a new supermarket here?

There has long been a rumour that Sobeys might build in the east end, particularly along Dieppe Blvd, but this location would fit the bill as well. Would Sobeys build here and then close either the Champlain Place or Regis Street store????

We'll have to follow this one closely...........

Old Posted Mar 23, 2019, 1:12 AM

After the Co-op built on Dieppe Boulevard, Sobeys bought the land across the street for a new store. They even had a sign up at one point. Maybe it's still there.
Then it all ground to a halt even before it started. There was talk (not frpm Sobeys though) that Sobeys was gonna shutter their CF store in favour of one on Harrisville Blvd.
That's the last I ever heard of either project. That was a couple or more years ago.
Does any of this ring a bell with any forumers? Because I do remember the broad generalities of how this went down quite clearly but, with my foggy memory, might stand corrected on some of the finer details that someone else might recall better than I.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2019, 2:07 AM
Non-Farmers, Farm Celery

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'homard View Post
After the Co-op built on Dieppe Boulevard, Sobeys bought the land across the street for a new store. They even had a sign up at one point. Maybe it's still there.
Then it all ground to a halt even before it started. There was talk (not frpm Sobeys though) that Sobeys was gonna shutter their CF store in favour of one on Harrisville Blvd.
That's the last I ever heard of either project. That was a couple or more years ago.
Does any of this ring a bell with any forumers? Because I do remember the broad generalities of how this went down quite clearly but, with my foggy memory, might stand corrected on some of the finer details that someone else might recall better than I.

Quote:
This is the T&T's take on future developments in the Harrisville area:
http://22864.vws.magma.ca/index.php?&article_id=10427

Harrisville poised for growth
Thursday, January 03, 2013
Times & Transcript
By: James Foster

Once mostly rural, Harrisville area to boast residential, commercial growth

Residential and commercial developers have long eyed the area bordered by the Veterans Highway (Route 15) and Shediac Road, from the Harrisville area eastward, as the next area for rapid growth in Moncton.

That growth will pick up momentum in 2013, according to planning director Bill Budd.

'I think you'll begin to see development activity there real soon,' Budd said Wednesday.

Budd said to expect some big commercial developments along Harrisville Boulevard to be announced in 2013.

That would come on the heels of two significant projects that got off the ground in 2012. Those two projects, a big hardware store and a sizeable hotel development, join a condo project that began south of Harrisville Boulevard in 2010 and a housing development that began in the late 2000s, sprouting homes in a for mer far m field west of the Trans-Canada Highway and north of Shediac Road that continues to draw the attention of home builders and buyers.

Even this morning workers are toiling at the site of a new Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott just off Harrisville Boulevard, a four-storey, 82-room development with meeting space, an indoor pool and waterslides. It is slated to open this year.

Kent Building Supplies has already received approval to build a new retail store on the east side of Harrisville Boulevard, near Veterans Highway and across from the new hotel. The new hardware store could see shovels in the ground this spring.

And for months it has been an open secret that Sobeys plans to erect a new store along Harrisville Boulevard, though the chain typically does not confir m expansions until they are well underway owing to the competitive nature of the grocery business.

At the other end of Harrisville Boulevard, on the north side of Shediac Road, a three-storey condo building is already up, with more condos slated for that area as demand warrants.

And a small strip mall was built two years ago on the northwest corner of Harrisville Boulevard and Shediac Road, which is mostly taken up by a very successful restaurant.

And now with two more bigticket commercial projects already in the works for the area, what was a mostly rural area less than a decade ago is expected to attract still other retail players, and more residential development as well. All of the land along Harrisville Boulevard is zoned either for commercial development or to accommodate higher density residential developments.

Budd can't go into detail as to which retailers are planning to set up shop in the neighbourhood - it's up to developers to make their own announcements - but the Harrisville Boulevard area could be poised for some big-box retail developments. The area has a long-standing residential sector, offering it a ready-made market, and the anticipated future residential growth around Shediac Road is expected to pick up where Moncton's exploding north end residential area will eventually taper off.

As well, the area is between two four-lane highways (Veterans Highway and the Trans-Canada,). It almost straddles the border with Dieppe, with its ever-growing commercial and high-density residential zone just a stone's throw away on the south side of Veterans Highway, which serves as the border between the two cities.

The two highways also offer easy access to residents in areas such as Shediac - the second-fastest growing town in New Brunswick - and beyond, with commuters from as far away as Richibucto and Sackville travelling to and from work in Moncton driving past its doorstep twice daily.

Further, the provincial government plans to upgrade the intersection of Harrisville Boulevard and Veterans Highway. Details of their plans have not yet been released.

Personal note - nothing new here, but it is yet another independent media confirmation quoting city hall staff as saying that there may be more big box announcements in the offing for Harrisville above and beyond Kent and Sobeys. I have always assumed that the Harrisville commercial development by PlazaCorp was intended to be a neighbourhood centre like Findlay Park in Riverview. Perhaps PlazaCorp is planning on something larger and more impressive.....
This was 6 years ago and nothing has come to fruition yet

Old Posted Mar 23, 2019, 10:08 AM

For once I remembered something accurately LOL.
The scuttlebutt at that time was that Costco was planning a new store there
The speculation set off a land-buying frenzy. Town planning started making plans for a retail boom there, and their top brass were predicting a housing boom would quickly ensue further out Shediac Road beyond Harrisville. There was even some preliminary planning done for building a new street parallel to Route 15 out to Harrisville tand/or beyond it to mitigate the big spike in traffic that was sure to come.
Oh well....... I'm sure the change to this area will happen, but it will obviously be evolutionary, not revolutionary.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2019, 1:51 PM

Quote:
Render of what the old McLaughlin Drive fire station will look like once it is renovated into eight apartment units.
The house between the fire station and the dry cleaner has been torn down.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2019, 7:27 PM

Spotted from SNB Property Assessment Online : Purchase of a massive piece of land near école l'Odyssé, off Léopold Belliveau and McLaughlin.

https://paol.snb.ca/paol.html?lang=en&pan=04243650

Purchased for almost 1.8 M $.

I'm assuming this is for the latest francophone school (K-8) that has been announced for the area. I should be built by 2021 ou 2022.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2019, 3:48 PM

Wonder it this is the card for the project replacing the church.

RESIDENTIAL DEVELOPMENT, MONCTON

CCD Ref. Number : NB156227-19-03

Stage : 3-Planning or drawing

Published : March 26, 2019

Starting Date (estimated) : Not available

Size : Mid-sized ($3,430,000)

Work type : New construction

Sector : Private

Category : 4-Residential

Subcategories : 4B-Residential Development

Disciplines : ARCH, CIV, ELEC, EQUI, HVAC, MEC-B, STRUC, OTHER*

MONCTON (NB)
(Moncton - Richibucto)

Description :
NEW RESIDENTIAL DEVELOPMENT -
Located in Moncton, Lewisville Rd., this project estimated at $3 430 000 is in the preliminary drawings stage, pending demolition, zoning approvals and permits. Works concern redevelopment of a residential development. Furthermore, the review of designs with regard to their constructability can be carried out as the project progresses from planning to design.

- Information: INFORMATION AVAILABLE TO SUBSCRIBERS

Old Posted Apr 7, 2019, 4:00 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I would say so, yes.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2019, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patapouf26 View Post
Spotted from SNB Property Assessment Online : Purchase of a massive piece of land near école l'Odyssé, off Léopold Belliveau and McLaughlin.

https://paol.snb.ca/paol.html?lang=en&pan=04243650

Purchased for almost 1.8 M $.

I'm assuming this is for the latest francophone school (K-8) that has been announced for the area. I should be built by 2021 ou 2022.
Isn’t that a large abandoned gravel pit? I wonder how much that will cost the tax payer to remediate: remove any poor soil and bring in fill to bring to grade? There is the purchase price of 1.8mil, but it may cost millions more to make it feasible to build upon? Who makes these decisions? Is there a record of whether or not they test for soil conditions, geotechnical requirements, etc before we buy something as tax payers? Secondly, wasn’t this new School slated to service the North end of Moncton? Wasn’t that the original announcement? Someone should look into this.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 12:34 PM

I think by moncton north they meant north of TCH. location kinda makes sense.. they moved Champlain too far to the east.. left kids from north of moncton, north of the TCH (irishtown) traveling.. way out to almost dieppe.

Also helps busing as the the elementary/middle/high kids can now be bussed together.

Your right though there used to be a dump in that area somewhere (i think)..a famous dump at that.

Mabybe mchlauglin will finally get its TCH ramps as part of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifyoubuildit View Post
Isn’t that a large abandoned gravel pit? I wonder how much that will cost the tax payer to remediate: remove any poor soil and bring in fill to bring to grade? There is the purchase price of 1.8mil, but it may cost millions more to make it feasible to build upon? Who makes these decisions? Is there a record of whether or not they test for soil conditions, geotechnical requirements, etc before we buy something as tax payers? Secondly, wasn’t this new School slated to service the North end of Moncton? Wasn’t that the original announcement? Someone should look into this.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2019, 5:23 PM

It most certainly is/was some kind of pit, but I'm not sure if it was ever a dump (although people do "dump" their sh!t there).

Being that this area is one of the few spots of land still available inside the TCH, I would say it's about time that it gets developed, polluted or not and in need of grading or not. I just assumed that it would be the location of the new school, but I could also be wrong. It may be a sale between private parties.

Considering the school hypothesis - geographically, would this not be considered in Moncton's North? From memory, it had always been said that the new K-8 school would be built in the Hennessey-Trinity area. This land sale seems to fall right in there. Plus it's a massive piece of land (larger than the l'Odyssée school).

I doubt the land could be used for a new interchange, but if a new school is to be built, the area could see a bump in traffic, especially if it spurs development of the slowly developing Hall's Creek neighbourhood (behind l'Odyssée). There could eventually be merit for an interchange. Btw, I don't know if it was ever reported on here, but there are now two 4 story apartment buildings (one is at full capacity and the other is almost completed) on Leopold Belliveau.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces