HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
The workers there confirmed it's for an extra lane at the intersection to help with the Industrial Park traffic.
Good. The traffic at that intersection can be bad. All it takes is one vehicle waiting to cross traffic in either direction and it can back up for quite a distance.

With the lane realignment at the intersection going into the industrial park, due to the Costco development, most people are now using the right lane when driving northbound. That has caused longer lineups as well.

Old Posted Nov 6, 2018, 4:29 PM

I'm still not understanding why a numbered company bought those homes, and not the city. I'm sure there is a logical reason.

PS, most traffic heading north on Elmwood at that location do indeed now use the right lane, mostly it's because the centre lane is now exclusively for turning left into Costco The entrance to the development has a double left=turn lane.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 12:58 AM

I would hope that the new lane for the industrial park access at the Hennessay/Elmood lights would extend to the Dairy Queen lights so that it is easier to get onto the on ramp for heading East on HWY 2.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 12:47 PM

The 3rd house south of Price St was just taken down this morning.

I wonder if the second house north of Price was a holdout. You remove that and they can add a new lane all the way up to DQ (it would take away some of the Apt building parking lot, but still)

Old Posted Nov 7, 2018, 8:19 PM

One of the former homeowners tells me that it was indeed a numbered company which bought the homes because that company is actually MID.
So mystery solved.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2018, 12:45 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I predict big changes for Elmwood Drive over the next 10-15 years.

It's already been happening. Ten years ago Elmwood was a fairly drab and shabby entrance into the city from the north. Since then, new retail plazas have been built (like the Sobeys/Lawtons development), or refurbished, and Elmwood has blown past the TCH with Royal Oaks, Moncton High School and the Granite Centre (including Costco). A large portion of Elmwood between MHS and Pine Tree has been curbed and widened with both bicycle lanes and sidewalks installed. The Elmwood/TCH interchange has been completely revamped.

I think this is only going to accelerate, especially if the Granite Centre really takes off. Elmwood is going to become the new Mountain Road. I think the epicentre for city sprawl is going to be along the Elmwood corridor in the future rather than the northwest end.

In 10 years, virtually all the existing residential properties along Elmwood (south of the TCH) will be removed, and replaced with commercial development or apartment complexes. Elmwood will be widened from Granite Drive to Pine Tree. New subdivisions will be built beyond the TCH. Traffic congestion will rapidly increase. They will finally have to do something with that ersatz Y shaped intersection between Elmwood and McLaughlin just south of the Elmwood Cemetery.

Big times are on the horizon.......

Old Posted Nov 8, 2018, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I predict big changes for Elmwood Drive over the next 10-15 years.

It's already been happening. Ten years ago Elmwood was a fairly drab and shabby entrance into the city from the north. Since then, new retail plazas have been built (like the Sobeys/Lawtons development), or refurbished, and Elmwood has blown past the TCH with Royal Oaks, Moncton High School and the Granite Centre (including Costco). A large portion of Elmwood between MHS and Pine Tree has been curbed and widened with both bicycle lanes and sidewalks installed. The Elmwood/TCH interchange has been completely revamped.

I think this is only going to accelerate, especially if the Granite Centre really takes off. Elmwood is going to become the new Mountain Road. I think the epicentre for city sprawl is going to be along the Elmwood corridor in the future rather than the northwest end.

In 10 years, virtually all the existing residential properties along Elmwood (south of the TCH) will be removed, and replaced with commercial development or apartment complexes. Elmwood will be widened from Granite Drive to Pine Tree. New subdivisions will be built beyond the TCH. Traffic congestion will rapidly increase. They will finally have to do something with that ersatz Y shaped intersection between Elmwood and McLaughlin just south of the Elmwood Cemetery.

Big times are on the horizon.......
EVERY time I drive out past the TCH on Elmwood, towards Irishtown, the past few years, I always wonder why that area of the city has not grown more. AS you said, this hopefully changes in a big way very soon.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2018, 7:06 PM
I Rise Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI highway guy View Post
EVERY time I drive out past the TCH on Elmwood, towards Irishtown, the past few years, I always wonder why that area of the city has not grown more. AS you said, this hopefully changes in a big way very soon.
There is nothing to build into past the TCH on Elmwood, not until they change the urban boundary so that more can be built there. It's on page 298 of the Moncton Municipal Plan.
https://www.moncton.ca/lets-do-busin...urban-planning

Old Posted Nov 8, 2018, 11:40 PM

This week someone bought 38 acres at the corner of Cindy Drive and Elmwood Drive in Irishtown. The trend continues.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2018, 11:50 PM
I Rise Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'homard View Post
This week someone bought 38 acres at the corner of Cindy Drive and Elmwood Drive in Irishtown. The trend continues.
The city really needs to expand the city limits to stop the wasteful "Country Lots" type of developments that are becoming so common around the outside of the city limits. When the city does need that space it will be hard to plan into these types of developments. Hoping over them will also increase work commutes and they won't be getting enough taxes from these type of developments to even pay for the road paving. They should be pushed really far back (by expanding city limits) so that we don't have to worry about them for a long, long time. To the point of when we get to them they will be old enough to be bought cheap and put new developments over them.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2018, 3:42 PM
I Rise Again

The dogbone roundabout/bridge connecting Dieppe Blvd. and Harrisville Blvd. is now open.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2018, 5:00 PM
I Rise Again

Paving is done from end to end on Granite Drive. I drove it today and they have another coat to do on the western end but it is all paved. Also the workers there were working today and they are working on paving the parking lot.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 11:22 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Proposal for 140 McLaughlin Drive (immediately behind the old fire station)

Two four storey apartment buildings totalling 76 units, with underground enclosed parking.

The render is by Spitfire Designs, and is very much in their style. Spitfire is also responsible for the new apartment building going up on Dieppe Blvd, and also the existing apartment building on Leopold Belliveau just beyond Ecole l'Odyssee

According to the site plan, the existing fire station is also to be renovated to create an additional eight apartments and 810 sq ft of office space.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2018, 11:42 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Harrisville Complex - current status:

Retail Talk & Share

Old Posted Nov 17, 2018, 3:23 AM

Quote:
Proposal for 140 McLaughlin Drive (immediately behind the old fire station)

Two four storey apartment buildings totalling 76 units, with underground enclosed parking.

The render is by Spitfire Designs, and is very much in their style. Spitfire is also responsible for the new apartment building going up on Dieppe Blvd, and also the existing apartment building on Leopold Belliveau just beyond Ecole l'Odyssee

According to the site plan, the existing fire station is also to be renovated to create an additional eight apartments and 810 sq ft of office space.

I do hope the buildings do end up looking more like this then the all PVC siding low rent looking apartment buildings.

I thought the old fire hall was going to be demolished, and the buildings where going to be side by side.

Now I wonder what they are going to do with the old fire hall.
Commercial space?

Old Posted Nov 17, 2018, 1:20 PM
I Rise Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
I do hope the buildings do end up looking more like this then the all PVC siding low rent looking apartment buildings.

I thought the old fire hall was going to be demolished, and the buildings where going to be side by side.

Now I wonder what they are going to do with the old fire hall.
Commercial space?
I agree, I love the Spitfire name and their design look/style. So as posted in MonctonRad's post it's going to be 810 sq. feet of office space and 8 apartments.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2018, 3:42 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Interesting discussion on CBC radio this morning about the traffic chaos around the new Costco in the Granite Centre (apparently at times traffic is backed up on the eastbound off ramp from the TCH, waiting to turn north on Elmwood before even getting onto Granite Drive).

I wonder if the traffic chaos continues if this won't expedite the long overdue McLaughlin/TCH interchange........

Old Posted Nov 27, 2018, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Interesting discussion on CBC radio this morning about the traffic chaos around the new Costco in the Granite Centre (apparently at times traffic is backed up on the eastbound off ramp from the TCH, waiting to turn north on Elmwood before even getting onto Granite Drive).

I wonder if the traffic chaos continues if this won't expedite the long overdue McLaughlin/TCH interchange........
The first time I went to Costco (hate the new location, not convenient at all, love the new store)...I left by going back down Elmwood...nightmare.

The next time I went...I went over to Maclaughlin Drive...not a single car on the road between Costco and there, not one...clear sailing.

I don't think many people even realize that road goes all the way through.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2018, 9:58 PM

My formerly semi quiet neighbourhood has become a traffic nightmare as predicted.
2 p,m on a weekday afternoon and traffic is backed up on to the TCH. Just a matter of time before a family is killed there.
It's now very hard to merely turn left off a side street on to Hennessey. There was rarely ever a problem before.
Big time backups on Elmwood, such as today at 1.30ish, when it was backed up from the TCH down to Sobeys. Even as far back as Morton Ave. cars were backed up beyond McDonalds from the cluster of trying to turn left onto Elmwood from Morton.
From Mill Road south on Elmwood, cars were backed up beyond Home Hardware.
I've lived in this area many decades and it's never been like this, even during the Christmas rush, let alone midday on a workday.
We are thinking of selling our house and moving out of the city. Another totally foreseeable problem that somehow escaped the crystal ball gazers at city hall. Maybe this time next year we'll be paying our taxes to an LSD instead. I friggin' hope so.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2018, 11:12 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Well, I did predict that the epicentre of city growth was going to shift to the Elmwood drive area from NW Moncton.

Just wait until the rest of the Granite Centre fleshes out.......

IMHO there's no question the McLaughlin/TCH interchange will need to be built to handle the traffic volume, especially with traffic backing up towards the Elmwood off ramp from the TCH. That'l quickly get as dangerous as the Mapleton offramp is.........

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces