HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Engineering

Old Posted Apr 13, 2007, 11:52 AM

Awnings on Condos - Good or Bad?

Do you have experience or ideas on why awnings on a condo would be a good or bad thing?

Some people have a need for them due to extreme Texas sun conditions, but the general thought is that at a minimum some amount of uniformity would be needed. Another concern is that over time they will become worn out and how is replacement enforced. A suggestion that was positive was they would increase the value of the building because units that get too much sun would bring more prospective buyers if awnings were available.

Other thoughts, ideas or experiences?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2007, 8:56 PM
Babylon falling

What about special windows that can be darkened to block out the sun. Awnings are very unsightly IMO.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2007, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mello View Post
What about special windows that can be darkened to block out the sun. Awnings are very unsightly IMO.
Thanks for the reply. They want them to hang over their balcony or porch outside so they can enjoy the outdoors when the sun is beaming down.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2007, 6:45 PM
BeenThere,DoneThat

Most condos would not allow awnings unless they were uniform on the whole building and installed by the condo itself after careful consideration of the appearance. I have seen the kind you mean on a few buildings in Florida.....especially behind screened in balconys where they are less obvious. Those buildings also somtimes have optional storm shutters which may be opend or closed.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2007, 5:24 PM
Community Guy

here is my condo and the balconies work very well as awnings for hot summer heat.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Apr 16, 2007, 6:47 PM
BANNED

From an aestetic standpoint, I think awnings should be avoided at all costs. They are generally pretty bad looking especially if they were added after the fact since the people who add them generally have no architectural taste and just throw whatever is cheapest at Home Depot on their house.

However, if you do want an outdoor space, but don't have any other means of achieving shade (scree porches are a really nice) then I suppose you must use them. They do save energy as well I guess. But if they are added, they better match or at least be cool looking. I have seen some things where its just a sunshade that rolls back against the wall when not needed, which don't look too bad, but as for aluminum ones and the likes, ugg...

Old Posted Apr 17, 2007, 5:08 PM
Community Guy

you can do simple sunshades and many buildings do... Basically a cantileavered set of angled metal or wood slats above the window which block midday sun.

They can look amazing

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Apr 17, 2007, 8:31 PM
FUS RO DAH!

1 - less glass, like brazilian buildings. Its more enviroment friendly, since you spend less with air conditioning

2 - larger balconies. The upper balconie serves as an awning.

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 2:39 AM

Thanks for the responses so far.

The intent of my question was to add awnings after the condo had been built. Is this generally a good thing or a bad thing? The condo I am in has sun conditions that have caused some folks to request them. We're all in this condo wondering if it is going to add to the value of the condo or take away because of issues of aftermarket awnings, uniformity and deteroration over time.

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 3:09 AM
Keep It Weird

Mellos quote below seems realistic and why not design the top edge to have a very nice overlay across the exposed patio's. Nice but nothing rediculous, that everyone tries to out do. Just simple glass in metal etc. I would think the people on the top floor would love to be on the balcony as a remarkable suset was turning into a brief shower, and not yelling "shit here we go again, why the %#@* did we get this top floor unit".

Coldrsx mentioned the balcony above gives some coverage, but what about the top floor, it many times has nothing. Here in TX you will fry your plants during the midday summer hrs. Don't forget about pets also. I have noticed many of Austins new residential towers may be actually unsafe in this respect.

Jam thanks for the invite, I'm looking forward to seeing have to say about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mello View Post

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 4:40 PM

It depends on finding a sun-shade solution that works with the style of the building. A striped fabric awining would look really sharp on a 1930s apartment but not on a more modern building.

Here is the former BC Electric building in Victoria, built in 1955. The original aluminum sun-shades were included in a revitalization of the building:

They blend in beautifully with the facade. Full story and photos here.

You should contract an architect to design something that will enhance the appearance and value of the building--not detract from it.

Old Posted May 9, 2007, 8:56 PM
Submarine de Nucléar

Probably need someone to design something appropriate... they have this really cool occupation called an "architect" - they actually design stuff like this.

Old Posted May 10, 2007, 2:23 AM
Keep It Weird

^ I've heard of these Architects.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Engineering