HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
Agree with this. But where are the poor going to go? Because significant portions of the city will gentrify long before we ever solve the problem of poverty. Which is probably impossible to solve. Poverty will always exist in lesser or greater degrees.
It's kind of unfortunate, and I suppose symbolic of the static approach we have towards poverty in this country, that remedies for improving the city are always discussed through the lens of gentrification (on this blog). As though displacing a lot of people is inevitable and desirable as part of large-scale real estate investment. I do think that attracting and retaining more higher-income people is good for the city, and in some sense, is an avenue for addressing the acute concentration of poverty in Philadelphia since it builds up the tax base in support of services that benefit lower-income residents. I also recognize that structural economic issues and national and state-level policies render local policies, by comparison, feeble in their potential impact to help realize higher real wages for poor people. But moving poor and rich people around into a new geographical configuration and calling that success just seems like a pretty sad standard to aim for. Anyway, I know it's getting a bit off topic so all I will say on that. Also am not intending that as an attack on anyone.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 2:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
Agree with this. But where are the poor going to go? Because significant portions of the city will gentrify long before we ever solve the problem of poverty. Which is probably impossible to solve. Poverty will always exist in lesser or greater degrees.
With the right policies in place neighborhoods can become mixed-income instead of income segregated. But it's likely that at least a portion of them will be displaced to places like Upper Darby.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 3:35 PM

Election - Ballot Question #2

Does anyone have a thoughtful opinion on this ballot question for the upcoming election? I'm inclined to vote YES but want to be sure I'm not missing an issue.

#2. Shall the Philadelphia Home Rule Charter be amended to create a new Department of Planning and Development, headed by a Cabinet-level Director, to oversee the City's planning, zoning, development servicesand housing and community development functions; put the Historical Commission in the Charter and create a new Housing Advisory Board; and attach the City Planning Commission, Historical Commission, Art Commission,Zoning Board of Adjustment and the Housing Advisory Boardto the newDepartment?

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaamazarite View Post
Looks great! Hope it moves forward

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 3:47 PM

Another credit to if you're looking for the latest development news this is where you get it -

http://hiddencityphila.org/2015/10/f...r-2100-market/
First line - "Earlier this month, Skyscraper Page’s band of development nerds managed to do the impossible and out-scoop the Philadelphia Business Journal–they leaked preliminary site plans and renderings of Brandywine Realty Trust’s plan for the 2100 Market site."

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by japmes View Post
Does anyone have a thoughtful opinion on this ballot question for the upcoming election? I'm inclined to vote YES but want to be sure I'm not missing an issue.

#2. Shall the Philadelphia Home Rule Charter be amended to create a new Department of Planning and Development, headed by a Cabinet-level Director, to oversee the City's planning, zoning, development servicesand housing and community development functions; put the Historical Commission in the Charter and create a new Housing Advisory Board; and attach the City Planning Commission, Historical Commission, Art Commission,Zoning Board of Adjustment and the Housing Advisory Boardto the newDepartment?
It seems to me like it's a useful way to streamline some of the bureaucracy. As it is, the different departments don't seem to communicate very well.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 5:04 PM

Sliders

These are pretty cool before and after photos of recent projects via Rent Cafe'

http://www.rentcafe.com/blog/cities/...-philadelphia/

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 6:44 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaamazarite View Post
That you should start emailing me this kind of shit so I can start turning it into articles and cash.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Oct 30, 2015, 11:40 PM

Dalian on The Park

Museum Towers II

Last edited by MikeNigh; Oct 30, 2015 at 11:58 PM.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2015, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
Dalian on The Park

Museum Towers II

Nice shots! I re-posted the Museum Towers II shot in the thread for it here:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...37#post7217837

Old Posted Oct 31, 2015, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Nice shots! I re-posted the Museum Towers II shot in the thread for it here:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...37#post7217837
Thanks Figured I'd take the camera in and actually get a good shot today.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2015, 5:04 PM
Me?!?

Good stuff!

New Manayunk Bridge trail unites Philly & Lower Merion
Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20...JO6zdf5PWAg.99

Old Posted Nov 3, 2015, 7:09 AM

hiladelphia officials are on their way to Peru in hopes of becoming the first World H

Mayor Michael Nutter announced today. They'll attend the 13th World Congress of the Organization of World Heritage Cities (OWHC), where it will be determined whether Philly will become a full-fledged member.

http://philly.curbed.com/archives/20...ities.php#more

Last edited by loverboie; Nov 3, 2015 at 2:05 PM.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2015, 1:44 PM

The Study Hotel @ Drexel:

Old Posted Nov 3, 2015, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisforreal View Post
The Study Hotel @ Drexel:
That thing is flying along. Chestnut between 32nd and 34th is like landing on another planet vs. when I was a student at the Law School in the early Nineties.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2015, 5:17 PM

With funding secured, Schuylkill River swing bridge construction could begin next summer

Quote:
The swing bridge will connect the Grays Ferry Crescent Trail with Bartram’s Mile, which extends north along the river from Bartram’s Garden.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2015, 11:16 PM

East Falls residents get first look at new plans for Rivage site

Now up to 6 floors from 5 floors.

Old rendering:

New design massing:

Article:
http://www.montgomerynews.com/articl...mode=fullstory

http://hiddencityphila.org/2015/11/s...s-ridge-flats/

Old Posted Nov 4, 2015, 1:15 AM

Verdant Temple Pilot Project Nears Completion, Master Plan Revealed

Quote:
Yes, Temple University has a massive redesign plan in store for its main campus. But in case you missed our sneak peek from earlier in the summer, we’ll have you know the Visualize Temple Master Plan (.PDF) comes with a decidedly green and equally significant companion piece: the Verdant Temple Landscape Master Plan (.PDF).

“The landscape of a campus is critical in creating first impressions and lasting memories,” TU President Neil D. Theobald said in a press release unveiling the long-anticipated program. Per the release, Verdant Temple will focus on five interrelated components:

• green, which emphasizes the need for additional open space, including a central quad;

• the importance of pedestrian walks, especially Liacouras and Polett walkways;

• the value of campus gardens and courts that comprise public spaces;

• the use of streets in an urban campus; and

• how to use leftover spaces, or margins.

Read more at http://www.phillymag.com/property/20...DPymOhGeZ28.99

Old Posted Nov 4, 2015, 1:23 PM
BANNED

I was wondering what was happening with the Rivage site, haven't heard anything in years about that. Was starting to think the latest proposal was dead just as all the prior proposals were.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2015, 3:11 PM

It's been several days since gentrification was discussed, but this funny take on the phenomenon was a nice accompaniment to my tea (Orange Pekoe): http://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/t...gentrification

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development