HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Aug 23, 2008, 3:54 PM

This terminal is shite, and it's located on a prime piece of downtown property, a property that could be used for something more important.

This is happening slowly.

Get a map of the region, and you'll see why we don't have N-E-W-S routes.
Our road structure is like a bowl of spaghetti.

Well I would rather say we have spaghetti bus routes.We dont have straight streets??Hm what about :King Street ,Victoria St, Ottawa St,Fisher-Hallman ( these streets are not 100 % straight but close)

If we have spaghetti streets then why not have RING route??Big ciricle all around??

This is also happening slowly.

Sigh ,seems I will retire like in 2042 and still things are going :slow

Firstly, the turning radius of the Charles St. Terminal is a little tight for the 60 ft. buses, and GRT doesn't have the proper lifts, yet, for the buses.[/QUOTE]

Enough said about terminal causing too much trouble and its there for 20 years.

What sometimes really makes me mad is that Canada is one of the G8 countries but when come to public transit we are in 19th century.

Problem was and seems still is ,as long you build suburbs like Activa ave ,there is no way you gonna have good transit system.

City development and public transit should go together.

My 2 cents for today

Old Posted Aug 23, 2008, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchener-lrt View Post
Firstly, the turning radius of the Charles St. Terminal is a little tight for the 60 ft. buses, and GRT doesn't have the proper lifts, yet, for the buses.
I think I read that the 60-foot buses actually have a better turning radius than the 40-foot buses (because of the articulation), but that there isn't enough space to house them in the GRT garages.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2008, 6:55 AM
G.G.H. Transit

Quote:
Originally Posted by smably View Post
I think I read that the 60-foot buses actually have a better turning radius than the 40-foot buses (because of the articulation), but that there isn't enough space to house them in the GRT garages.
Between the lack of maintenance facilities for artics and the fact that none of the terminal platforms at any of the terminal can fit an artics, they are out of the question unless some major modifications are made.

However, I think GRT should make the effort; preliminary plans for the garage expansion at Strasburg next year appear to include facilites for artics (although we will have to wait and see for sure) then I think they should make the effort to modify some of the terminal platforms so the iXpress could use artics......

-At least one of the brand new bus bays at Conestoga Mall appears it could hold an artic (closest to CIBC).

-At Charles Street it looks like there's potential the current Route 8 platforms closest to Gaukel could be extended closer to the road to hold artics.

-Modifications of some sort would be needed Fairview, although IMO we need to move that terminal over to Wal-Mart.

-A simple curb-cut at the existing Cambridge Centre Terminal to allow artics in the current northbound spot would solve problems there (that terminal is scheduled for replacement in a few years anyways).

-Then there would need to be a change made at Ainslie somehow.

Overall, besides the maintenance facilities, making modifications to the passenger facilities to handle artics would be pretty painless and inexpensive IMO.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2008, 9:11 PM

Good news about the iXpress. Later service on the weekends would be a big improvement. Real Sunday service in Cambridge would also be a nice improvement, but I guess baby steps...

I never understood why the 51/Hespeler Road didn't have 15 minute service during the morning rush hour. It has it during the day, but one of the most logical times for it to have it...

Old Posted Aug 29, 2008, 3:45 PM

I was at the bus station and saw two new buses. They are new hybrid buses they look similar to the nova bus's except for the top part which is longer and they have a large Hybrid sign on them. When I got on my next bus I could not help but over heard the bus drivers radios as some of them talked about how much they liked them. One said "This is am amazing machine its so quite and WOW I cant stop smiling". There were a few that actually said they were envious of the ones driving them. That was odd but what ever. I try to get a picture but I was not able to get my camera out fast enough.

According to the press release found on the Regions website they have 6 new buses which started run's today.

Now I do not know if this was because of other noise or what but as it pulled out of the platform it sounded like it made no noise.

Quote:
GRT unveils new hybrid technology bus
August 28, 2008
GRT unveils new hybrid technology bus

Kitchener – Grand River Transit (GRT) unveiled the first of six environmentally friendly hybrid buses Thursday evening.

These buses will be used in a pilot program for low-speed, high-stop bus routes where they are expected to have the greatest impact, both economically and environmentally. Five buses will be used on routes that serve Kitchener and Waterloo and one bus will operate in Cambridge.

"The hybrid bus pilot is one more step towards a more sustainable community," said Ken Seiling, Regional Chair. "Using less fossil fuels and reducing greenhouse gas emissions is part of our ongoing commitment to better environmental practices here in the region."

Although these buses initially cost more than conventional diesel models, they are expected to use less fuel, have reduced emissions and lower operating costs. In the right environment, they can reduce fuel use by up to 30 per cent. With six buses, this could lead to a savings of 50,000 litres of fuel every year as well as a 60 per cent reduction in greenhouse gas emissions. The unique hybrid-electric system will also result in lower operating costs due to reduced stress and maintenance on mechanical components.

A hybrid-electric vehicle uses two power sources: a combustion engine and a battery. The two sources work together to produce energy. The battery powers the vehicle during acceleration and when moving at lower speeds. As the vehicle reaches 40 km/hr, the mechanical power provided by the engine continues to increase while the electric power gradually decreases. The engine takes over, powering the vehicle at high speeds when it is most efficient. The battery can also collect energy from the rolling vehicle as it is braking and convert it into electricity. It uses this electricity to recharge itself, instead of relying on the engine.

“I applaud the initiative taken by Regional Council on improving the efficiency of our transit fleet and reducing the carbon footprint of GRT,” said Jake Smola, Regional Councillor and Chair of the Environmental Advisory Committee.

For more information on Region of Waterloo green initiatives, visit www.region.waterloo.on.ca/sustainability.

-30-

For more information, please contact:

Thomas Schmidt, Commissioner, Transportation and Environmental Services, 519-575-4734

Sandy Roberts, Manager of Marketing and Communications, Transit Services, 519-585-7597 ext. 7231

Old Posted Aug 29, 2008, 9:02 PM

I saw one of these out today at Weber and Franklin. Great project, hope it takes off!

Old Posted Sep 2, 2008, 2:13 PM

I was on one of the new diesel hybrid buses today. I got on and jokingly told the bus driver that wow this bus is so loud (you could hardly hear it) he told me it feels like driving a golf cart.

I wonder to myself what kind of golf carts are you driving.

Old Posted Sep 8, 2008, 6:14 AM

My apologies if this does not work. There is a very interesting job posting in Workopolis right now. Anyone else happen to see it?

http://www.workopolis.com/EN/job/10095835

Ref # 13068
Province: Ontario
Position: Project Manager - Rapid Transit
Salary: To A Max of Negotiable

Job Description

Our client needs to hire a Project Manager who has experience with Rapid Transit projects. If you are looking for a new and exciting challenge, then this may be the opportunity for you.

Job Description

Defines the scope, manages, and leads projects and studies through all phases for our client's rapidd transit program.

Directs the development and implementation of a computer based transportation demand forecasting model.

Determines and negotiates necessary project requirements and approvals with utility companies, developers, and Federal and Provincial ministries and agencies.

Responds to requests for transportation related data and forecast impact analysis related to the implementation of rapid transit.
Represents our client on external task forces and committees addressing transportation and transit planning issues or studies with local implications.
Requirements

University Degree in Civil Engineering,
Eligibility for membership in the Professional Engineers of Ontario.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2008, 3:18 PM
Cambridgite

There has been some discussion about the iXpress servicing the Sportsworld area. I think Sportsworld is an important node worthy of an iXpress stop. However, if that stop gets added, it means a further increase in the amount of time required to get from the Ainslie Street Terminal to the Conestoga Mall. If the goal of the iXpress is to make travel times relatively competitive with the automobile, so the last thing we want to do is make travel times longer by having too many stops. So here's my idea:
  • Institute the reformed iXpress route, adding an additional stop at Sportsworld.

• Institute parallel iXpress routes that skip stops in the middle, to save time from one end of the Region to the other. The stops that can be skipped include Sportsworld, Fairview Mall, and Charles/Ottawa. They will skip directly from the Bridgecam Power Centre to the Charles Street Terminal and vice-versa via Conestoga Parkway and Frederick Street. Since this service will require more travel per person, we can raise the fares for these parallel routes, perhaps to $3.50.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2008, 4:27 PM

yes ,funny thing you start question one thing and something totally else come up.

Cambridgite you said GRT must be competetive with cars.Yes thats true.
If iXpress is going to be messed up just because of one more stop then leave it the way it is.Why spoil something good, right??

Only connection to Sportsworld from Kitchener is route#52. After sportsworld to Cambridge is just nice field trip

I was thinking introduce line from Charles St. (since lots of people complain about Greyhound terminal) to go along Weber St ,Old King St to new Greyhound terminal.Im not GRT planner so any other opinions would be gladly accepted.

GRT and Greyhound are out there because of people who use transit.Seems both GRT and Greyhound dont like each other much.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2008, 6:50 PM
G.G.H. Transit

CROSS POST FROM SPORTSWORLD CROSSING THREAD...

What's being tossed about already is that when the final rapid transit technology and alignment are chosen that the iXpress be modified to assume the most similar station locations until the RT line is operational and when that happens you're going to see several new stops on the iXpress, even more so if LRT is selected.

Sportsworld Crossing is already a slam-dunk since both the BRT and LRT proposals include the area as a rapid transit stop.

Let's also not forget, the iXpress is more intended to be and a pre-cursor to the Rapid Transit Route and is not so much an Express Route. I know that's a bit vague, but there is a difference between the two.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2008, 11:44 PM

Cambridgite, you're totally right, Sportsworld is and will be even more a very important node for GRT. With all of the shopping, offices and greyhound station it should be a pretty busy area.

What's saying that there couldnt be two express bus routes? We are a relatively big region, whats stopping us from running multiple lines?

Old Posted Sep 17, 2008, 6:01 PM
G.G.H. Transit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcollins View Post
Cambridgite, you're totally right, Sportsworld is and will be even more a very important node for GRT. With all of the shopping, offices and greyhound station it should be a pretty busy area.

What's saying that there couldnt be two express bus routes? We are a relatively big region, whats stopping us from running multiple lines?
Well, if you look at the GRT system two express routes are already evolving, the first being the iXpress, then you got the 111, from Ainslie to Conestoga College, the 116 from the College to Forest Glen, and for those that followed the development of GRT's new business plan, there is a new route proposed from Forest Glen to U of W in the next couple years. So assuming you could make the connections at the College and Forest Glen you will eventually be able to go from Ainslie Street to the U of W with only 2 stops. In my books that qualifies.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2008, 3:53 AM
National Capital Region

report on Highway 8 - bus shoulder lanes (Fairway to Sportsworld)

recommendation:

THAT the Regional Municipality of Waterloo enter into an agreement with Her Majesty the Queen in Right of Ontario (by its Ministry of Transportation) to the satisfaction of the Commissioner of Planning, Housing and Community Services and the Regional Solicitor to provide capital funding for bus bypass shoulders on Highway 8 between Fairway Road and Sportsworld Drive, as described in P-08-075, dated September 30, 2008.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2008, 7:33 AM
G.G.H. Transit

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterloowarrior View Post
report on Highway 8 - bus shoulder lanes (Fairway to Sportsworld)

recommendation:

THAT the Regional Municipality of Waterloo enter into an agreement with Her Majesty the Queen in Right of Ontario (by its Ministry of Transportation) to the satisfaction of the Commissioner of Planning, Housing and Community Services and the Regional Solicitor to provide capital funding for bus bypass shoulders on Highway 8 between Fairway Road and Sportsworld Drive, as described in P-08-075, dated September 30, 2008.
ooookkk??....

- Driver's to require special training/licencing, great, just when I though I was done all that kinda stuff.

- Buses can use the bypass lanes when the traffic is moving at 40kph or slower...wouldn't it make sense to just allow the buses to use these lanes at all times? Honestly though, a number of the factors contributing to slow traffic could be incidents or pulled over vehicles on the shoulder, that's not going to help any.

Ah well, it's good move this has been approved, but I'd like to use these lanes ALL the time. Guess time will tell.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2008, 1:32 PM

Bypass shoulders will help speed buses
TheRecord.com - Local - Bypass shoulders will help speed buses

JEFF OUTHIT
RECORD STAFF

More people would ride transit if buses could avoid traffic jams. Making this happen is expensive.

Consider the latest transit plans for Highway 8 between Kitchener and Cambridge.

Traffic is often stop-and-go. Grand River Transit buses regularly detour to local roads to avoid highway congestion. It doesn't help much. Heavy traffic often delays intercity express service by up to 10 minutes.

This bothers passengers and means more buses are needed to maintain schedules.

Regional council has now found a solution. When Highway 8 is widened for almost four kilometres between Fairway Road and Sportsworld Drive, road shoulders will be supersized, so buses can use them to bypass traffic jams.

Shoulders normally three metres wide will be extended to 4.25 metres. Pavement will be thickened to support bus weight. This will cost $4.3 million.

Costs are high because two bridges -- over the Grand River and King Street East -- need widening. Still, it's considered a bargain. It would cost $9.1 million if not co-ordinated with the provincial highway widening that starts next year.

Bypass shoulders are not regular driving lanes.

Buses will be allowed on them only when traffic falls below 60 kilometres an hour. Bus speeds on the shoulders are limited to 20 km/h above traffic speeds.

Widening the shoulders brings flexibility to traffic planning.

If bus rapid transit is launched between Kitchener and Cambridge, bypass shoulders would be available to keep those buses moving. Also, their presence makes it easier to convert regular lanes to high-occupancy lanes at some future date.

These lanes, for buses and cars with passengers, would go near the median. Shoulders would shrink to regular size. Their extra width would be used to buffer the high-occupancy lanes from regular lanes.

You might ask, why not add a full, dedicated bus lane rather than a shoulder with restricted access?

This has not been costed but would be far more expensive. It would require widening the highway by 3.75 metres rather than 1.25 metres. And it likely would not be necessary.

By 2011, Highway 8 will have eight driving lanes between Fairway Road and the King Street overpass, and six lanes between the overpass and Sportsworld Drive. This is expected to ease congestion for 15 years or more.

Supersizing the shoulder at the same time is a flexible way to support transit and traffic options without breaking the bank.

Jeff Outhit can be reached at 519-894-2250, ext. 2654, or jouthit@therecord.com

Old Posted Oct 19, 2008, 11:13 PM

Will those bus shoulder lanes be open to Greyhound buses as well? It seems logical to improve intercity public transit as well.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2008, 5:42 AM
G.G.H. Transit

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanfan89 View Post
Will those bus shoulder lanes be open to Greyhound buses as well? It seems logical to improve intercity public transit as well.
No, only municipal transit, ie. GRT. GO could possibly use them as well, they are permitted to use the 403 shoulders in Mississauga. Use of the lanes aparently will require drivers to undergo special training for their proper use.

In other news, GRT is holding a PCC Wednesday (October 22nd) to gather feedback on the proposed new Elmira bus service to begin in April.

http://www.grt.ca/web/transit.nsf/$A...2?OpenDocument

Old Posted Nov 18, 2008, 10:41 PM

New Year could bring bus fare hike

November 18, 2008
Jeff Outhit
RECORD STAFF

WATERLOO REGION

Grand River Transit wants to hike transit fares on Jan. 1.

If approved, it would be the fourth fare increase since 2004.

Highlights:

All monthly passes would rise $2. Adult passes would rise to $60, up 3.4 per cent.

All discount tickets would rise 20 cents. Adult tickets would rise to $1.80, up 12.5 per cent.

The cash fare would stay $2.50.

"This would be a modest fare increase," transit director Eric Gillespie said. "Grand River Transit fares are among the lowest in the province."

The transit service was planning to increase fares July 1, 2009.

Fast-tracking the increase by six months boosts revenues $800,000 a year, without hurting ridership that's growing faster than expected, planners contend.

Councillors have been told there will be no change for 1,100 low-income residents who will still get subsidized monthly passes for $34.

Ridership is expected to grow 11 per cent this year, thanks in part to university students whose fares are now paid through student fees.

At the Charles Street terminal yesterday, several passengers reacted warily to the proposal. "I think that's pretty bad," said Sasha Warmington, 18. She figures many people struggle to pay fares.

Skye Johns, 16, worries her family might not be able to pay more for her tickets.

"I just don't agree with it, but I have no problem paying the two bucks," said Joshua Finnamore, 21. He believes seniors should ride for free.

Justice Adusei, a University of Waterloo student, worries "some people might not be able to ride the bus any more."

Waterloo regional councillors are to consider higher fares today. Any increase would not be finalized until next month.

"I think the proposal is quite reasonable," Chair Ken Seiling said. "We can't continue to expand transit and face increased costs without some participation at the fare box."

Local fares are 17 per cent below the Ontario average and provide less than 40 per cent of operating expenses, the transit service says.

Transit services in Hamilton and London earn a higher share of costs through fares.

The last fare increase was in 2007. A study found ridership dipped slightly at first but rebounded as service was upgraded. Planners conclude the benefits of improved service outweigh the downside of modest fare increases.

jouthit@therecord.com

Old Posted Jan 9, 2009, 2:02 AM

News story from CTV Southwestern Ontario on GRT Operator's requirement to verbally announce each stop.

http://swo.ctv.ca/news.php?id=3625

"Waterloo Region is struggling to meet a Human Rights Commission order related to accessibility on public transit. Transit providers are required to announce all stops by July."

The TTC does this on all routes, and it works great. I think they use GPS to trigger the stop to be automatically announced, rather than a computer butchering some of the stop names on the iXpress as is the case now. In Toronto, it sounds like someone actually sat down and recorded the names of all the stops. Half the time it doesn't even work on the iXpress.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario