HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted Jul 14, 2008, 11:21 PM

It's just a forum. Besides, I never take things personally.

[edit] The 7 Bypass is under the province's initiatives, they are supposedly in the final design stages.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2008, 11:48 PM
G.G.H. Transit

Hello everybody,

I'm new to this particular forum, so it's going to take me a while to get acquainted with all that's been posted here. But I've been an active poster on CPTDB, for those familier with that forum.

Since the location is being discussed as a possible transit terminal for a number of fantasy transit scenarios (I mean that in a good way, we need more people to brainstorm), people may find of interest that the power centre on the west side of waterloo at Erbsville and Erb is called the Westside Marketplace...believe me, that name wasn't easy to find.

[End first post ]

Old Posted Jul 20, 2008, 6:09 AM

Let me be one of the first to say welcome! I've been a lurker on the CPTDB for a while, and Your discussion will definitely be appreciated.

Westside Marketplace? Seriously? That sounds kind of bland.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2008, 1:39 AM

The new Greyhound (temporary?) terminal opened up today. It's just a large trailer they dumped on site with two portapotties next door. It's on the far east side of the lot, right next to the embankent of the highway. They also "moved" the stop from the 52S pole to the trailer. That's a breather since it will mean the 4:01 52 and the 4:05 Greyhound won't end up fighting for the spot anymore.

It looks like they're constructing something on the north end of the lot that seems much smaller. So far it has been CIVE Spraypaint on the ground, then a tarp, and what now appears to be a wood base. I'm not sure whether it's related to Greyhound or to the ongoing Sportsworld construction. They've also been out surveying the SE corner of the lot too. Not sure whether this is Greyhound or Sportsworld related either.

Last edited by jeicow; Jul 22, 2008 at 8:32 PM.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2008, 2:23 AM

Finally GGHT .

Old Posted Jul 29, 2008, 11:16 PM

Just an update about Greyhound at Sportsworld. That wooden base I mentioned earlier is the base of a giant inflatable greyhound bus that's about 2-3 stories high and 2.5 buses wide. There's a doorway to go inside, however it appears to be blocked off. There's also a lot more people using the terminal. More cars are parked towards the area (a few dozen) and I've noticed a lot of people getting off the 52 and being dropped off when I'm passing by.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 2:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeicow View Post
Just an update about Greyhound at Sportsworld. That wooden base I mentioned earlier is the base of a giant inflatable greyhound bus that's about 2-3 stories high and 2.5 buses wide. There's a doorway to go inside, however it appears to be blocked off. There's also a lot more people using the terminal. More cars are parked towards the area (a few dozen) and I've noticed a lot of people getting off the 52 and being dropped off when I'm passing by.
I saw that inflated bus today ,looks weird have to admit.Does anybody know when Greyhound hub will be done??

Whats gonna happen to Charles St.Terminal?? Is that thing going down for good??

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 3:10 AM

No, they changed their minds about that after strong pressure from their customers. Now they'll be serving both locations. Probably not what they had in mind, but I'm sure they'll cope.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 7:46 PM
G.G.H. Transit

Not to mention that Cherry and Coach Canada still operates out of Charles St.

However, I'm still not totally convinced of Greyhound's willingness to stay at Charles St. in the long run. Since they've stopped selling tickets inside there's been a lot of confusion about how to get places and difficulty in buying them from the two greyhound employees that currently stand outside full-time, since GRT staff cannot help them (going to be a real treat for them in the winter). I don't know what greyhound's going to do when University students resume classes in Sept...there were often lines for Greyhound buses as long as the platform at the terminal.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gghtransit View Post
Not to mention that Cherry and Coach Canada still operates out of Charles St.

However, I'm still not totally convinced of Greyhound's willingness to stay at Charles St. in the long run. Since they've stopped selling tickets inside there's been a lot of confusion about how to get places and difficulty in buying them from the two greyhound employees that currently stand outside full-time, since GRT staff cannot help them (going to be a real treat for them in the winter). I don't know what greyhound's going to do when University students resume classes in Sept...there were often lines for Greyhound buses as long as the platform at the terminal.
can greyhound as a sign of good will extend service to WLU and U of W ( just for students)??I finsihed my schooling long time ago but that would help students with their travel pain to T.O.

I should rephrase myself from my previous post: are they going to scrap that Charles St. Terminal for GRT as well.

City made some improvements (Victoria Park Entrance ) btw good work,well done!!But just that terminal looks ugly.Not enough parking spots ,just dont see the point exisiting at the moment and future,in my opinion.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 11:13 PM

Greyhound already offers buses from UW and (I believe) WLU that went through Charles St before. I believe they added extra buses this term on Fridays- I'm guessing to help reduce the pressure at Charles St. I would expect that they will add more buses come September (at UW and WLU) and I wouldn't be surprised if Charles Street bit the dust if that happened. The Turnkey desk already sells tickets, and I'm willing to bet it's at the same slow rate as the two employees at Charles St.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2008, 2:24 AM
G.G.H. Transit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark76 View Post
I should rephrase myself from my previous post: are they going to scrap that Charles St. Terminal for GRT as well.

City made some improvements (Victoria Park Entrance ) btw good work,well done!!But just that terminal looks ugly.Not enough parking spots ,just dont see the point exisiting at the moment and future,in my opinion.
I know the City of Kitchener doesn't like the fact the terminal is there, they've released proposals/renderings(/whatever) in the past that show the block being redeveloped.

I also know that many GRT drivers (including myself) dislike (if not hate) the terminal layout since it's very tight for buses to get in and out, and the fact it's on a hill has led to some unfortunate mishaps in the past from drivers not remembering to put on the parking brake (unforgivable yes, but at least if the terminal wasn't on such a hill the bus wouldn't roll away).

However, nothing's for sure about moving the terminal. It remains a well-used facility (and congested at times) for GRT purposes and the proposed rapid transit line includes a station at the existing terminal as one option, and there has been an historical willingness to use Charles Street as the preferred alignment. However, other options also include using Duke Street as the alignment option through the Downtown, and there's the possibility that bus services would better feed the rapid transit line if they were more decentralized and fed into several stations along the line, and there is supposed to be 3 stations in the downtown alone.

We'll have to wait and see.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2008, 6:15 PM
National Capital Region

I've also seen a bunch of problems in the winter with buses stuck, not being able to get up the hill after stopping

Old Posted Aug 22, 2008, 5:59 PM
BANNED

--

Last edited by WaterlooInvestor; Jan 2, 2010 at 11:28 AM.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2008, 9:56 PM
Cambridgite

iXpress now runs every 15 minutes until 6pm on weekdays and every 30 minutes up to 11pm. That works out very nicely for me!

Old Posted Aug 23, 2008, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambridgite View Post
iXpress now runs every 15 minutes until 6pm on weekdays and every 30 minutes up to 11pm. That works out very nicely for me!
Improvements for Cambridge and Waterloo + Ixpress but I dont see any major improvements for Kitchener (except Huron Rd route ,and 116 to Conestoga College.)

I dont want to rant about GRT but there is so many things to improve.

If I start list is going to be very looooong!!

Cheers

p.s.

anybody check that post about waterloo light rail??

Old Posted Aug 23, 2008, 1:26 AM
G.G.H. Transit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark76 View Post
Improvements for Cambridge and Waterloo + Ixpress but I dont see any major improvements for Kitchener (except Huron Rd route ,and 116 to Conestoga College.)

I dont want to rant about GRT but there is so many things to improve.

If I start list is going to be very looooong!!

Cheers

p.s.

anybody check that post about waterloo light rail??
Yeah, things are moving slowly, however over the next 2-3 years there will be more improvements for Kitchener including a new express route between Forest Glen Plaza and the U of W via Westmount Road, a long-proposed terminal at Stanley Park Mall (and therefore restructuring on Kitchener's east side) as well as additional routes along Ottawa Street from Stanley Park Mall to the Sunrise Centre, new service on Victoria Street North and new service into the Doon South area.

Also, GRT planners have suggested that once final station locations and alignment are chosen for the rapid transit system they could modify the iXpress to provide similar station locations (ie. more stops) and the long painful task of reorganizing the system to feed the rapid transit line can begin.

At any rate, there's still a long way to go.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2008, 4:03 AM

Quote:
Yeah, things are moving slowly, however over the next 2-3 years there will be more improvements for Kitchener including a new express route between Forest Glen Plaza and the U of W via Westmount Road, a long-proposed terminal at Stanley Park Mall (and therefore restructuring on Kitchener's east side) as well as additional routes along Ottawa Street from Stanley Park Mall to the Sunrise Centre, new service on Victoria Street North and new service into the Doon South area.

Also, GRT planners have suggested that once final station locations and alignment are chosen for the rapid transit system they could modify the iXpress to provide similar station locations (ie. more stops) and the long painful task of reorganizing the system to feed the rapid transit line can begin.

At any rate, there's still a long way to go.
Well lets hope they are going to do someting wise otherwise I will give up for Public transit in Waterloo Region.

GGH seems you know lots about transit -I suspect you work for GRT??

My opinion about transit in this region:

( I will put this in points ,lol

1.GRT as a system made lots of improvements since 2001 and still improving

2.Charles St.Terminal outdated -was there couple weeks ago and looks like ghost town ,and to be honest I was scared going inside brrrr!!!

3.Decentrilize system ,put routes on main streets,without neverending loops ,
but also our suburban areas are made like that ,streets are circle shape,

4.Make main routes east -west ,north-south

5.Connect suburbs such as Breslau, New Hamburg ,Baden,St.Jacobs-Elmira etc....

6.Connect with bus route to Guelph via Victoria St, and Hwy 7 ( yes I know Guelph doesnt belong to Waterloo Region and as like that can not extend service to Guelph ,btw how many cars in rush hour would be off the streets if we have something like this?? Somebody will say well you have Greyhound and possible VIA or GO Train which will take next decade to happen something like that)

7. Why and wonder GRT cant or dont want to implement those 60 ft long busses which I called them `accordian`.Reasons : drivers not educated to drive them ,streets narrow ,service facilities???Those busses can and I have seen it turn very well.Charles St Terminal narrow??

Anyway thats what I was thinking.

Thx

Old Posted Aug 23, 2008, 4:13 AM

Quote:
So the Forest Glen-UW express is going to be on Westmount.

Quote:
GGH seems you know lots about transit -I suspect you work for GRT??
Yes he does.

Quote:
2.Charles St.Terminal outdated -was there couple weeks ago and looks like ghost town ,and to be honest I was scared going inside brrrr!!!
This terminal is shite, and it's located on a prime piece of downtown property, a property that could be used for something more important.

Quote:
3.Decentrilize system ,put routes on main streets,without neverending loops ,
but also our suburban areas are made like that ,streets are circle shape,
This is happening slowly.

Quote:
4.Make main routes east -west ,north-south
Get a map of the region, and you'll see why we don't have N-E-W-S routes.
Our road structure is like a bowl of spaghetti.

Quote:
5.Connect suburbs such as Breslau, New Hamburg ,Baden,St.Jacobs-Elmira etc....
This is also happening slowly.

Quote:
7. Why and wonder GRT cant or dont want to implement those 60 ft long busses which I called them `accordian`.Reasons : drivers not educated to drive them ,streets narrow ,service facilities???Those busses can and I have seen it turn very well.Charles St Terminal narrow??
Firstly, the turning radius of the Charles St. Terminal is a little tight for the 60 ft. buses, and GRT doesn't have the proper lifts, yet, for the buses.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2008, 4:50 AM
G.G.H. Transit

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchener-lrt View Post
So the Forest Glen-UW express is going to be on Westmount.
Well, where else would it go? Westmount is the logical choice, and most likely to only choice available. I can't see it being put anywhere else.

P.S. On the topic of the Charles Street Terminal, I saw the dedication plaque at the terminal this week, and IIRC it said 1988 on it. Which means (assuming I'm not mistaken) the terminal is 20 years old this year.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario