HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted May 14, 2008, 6:46 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Once again we the people are getting f*cked with the greedy people at big oil!!!

When gas goes up...EVERYTHING goes up!
There's no way around it people. Pay more at the pumps or pay more with transit. No matter what that's still more money out of our pockets. UTA is to the point that they HAVE to raise their fairs because of the damn gas prices.
Case and point.....Greedy Big oil is F*CKING everybody over!!! And we all just sit around and let them do it.

If it was anything else that was going up in price it wouldn't be that big of a deal. Say what if Starbucks started raising their prices?..Well then most of us can choose not to drink any more coffee. Or what if fast food cost more?, then we can choose not to eat there any more. But with Gas MOST PEOPLE DON'T HAVE A CHOICE!!! Everyone needs to fill their cars up with gas otherwise the car won't run. Big Oil knows this and that is WHY they are raising their prices. They can bull shit all they want about "Shortage" or "Demand" But it's all bullshit.

Oil companies are greedy!

I'm so glad my hard earn money can go towards giving these greedy fucks a steak dinner everynight. Must be a hard life these people are living.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Last edited by SLC Projects; May 14, 2008 at 6:59 PM.

Old Posted May 14, 2008, 9:07 PM

That's why I am so happy to take the train to work each day. I've only filled up once at the beggining of the month and still have 3/4 of a tank of gas. My goal is to make it through the rest of May without gassing up my car.

I've noticed something about TRAX. With all of the new stops it seems to take forever to get through downtown, so I tried an experiment the other afternoon: Instead of riding TRAX as it snaked its way toward the Intermodal Hub, I got off the train at Gallivan Plaza and walked to the hub to catch a FrontRunner train.... and I beat TRAX by three minutes. I walked 6 blocks in less time than it took TRAX to go 12.

There are now 15 stoplights and 8 Stations along the TRAX route downtown. Just something to think about at Salt Lake considers a route for the Airport line and where stops will be located. It may be nice to have stops all over the place to make it easy for everyone to ride, but all the stops make the trip so slow that some will simply give up on TRAX. (I've since found a bus that gets me through downtown faster and ride it instead of TRAX.)

Last edited by arkhitektor; May 14, 2008 at 9:32 PM.

Old Posted May 14, 2008, 9:48 PM
Exit 298

Killpack wants to make driving a little bit easier than the rich....

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=3302665

Old Posted May 14, 2008, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post
Killpack wants to make driving a little bit easier than the rich....

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=3302665
Many other areas of the country already use congestion pricing and toll roads. Its only a matter of time before it happens here as well.

Many people seem to feel that it is their God-given right to drive a car wherever they go and not pay anything for it, then go nuts if taxes are used to pay for mass transit. Money isn't falling from the skies these days. If people want to live further and further from where they work and also want a worry free commute by themselves in a car, it isn't unreasonable for to expect them to pay something extra for the privelege, just like it isn't unreasonable for a FrontRunner pass to cost far more than a basic UTA pass.

Old Posted May 15, 2008, 3:11 AM

make up your mind

Allright I'm Confused A Little Bit? Alot Of People On This Forum Make It Sound That Its Is A Sin To Drive To Work And Yet When Suburbs Start Building Office Space And Places For There Citizens To Work Alot Of People Don't Like That Here Because It Takes Away From Slc, To Be Consisitant Shouldn't Every Person Be Force To Work Within One Mile To Were They Live And Then They Wouldn't Have To Buy A Car And Cause So Much Polution And Then We Can All Just Send More Money To Uta. If I Remember Right Commuter Rail North Just Cost Tax Payer 600 Million So What Maybe 3000 People Can Ride It. It Dosen't Make Senes To Me! Everytime The Citizens Of Utah Pass Another Tax Uta Raises Rates On Them Right After. Sorry For My Rant But I Had To Do A Report On Uta And I Liked Them Alot More Then Then I Do Now.

Old Posted May 15, 2008, 5:08 AM
Exit 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhitektor View Post
Many other areas of the country already use congestion pricing and toll roads. Its only a matter of time before it happens here as well.

Many people seem to feel that it is their God-given right to drive a car wherever they go and not pay anything for it, then go nuts if taxes are used to pay for mass transit. Money isn't falling from the skies these days. If people want to live further and further from where they work and also want a worry free commute by themselves in a car, it isn't unreasonable for to expect them to pay something extra for the privelege, just like it isn't unreasonable for a FrontRunner pass to cost far more than a basic UTA pass.
Yeah, well it isn't the government's place to say only those making over $100K can drive on the road.

Raise the gas tax and apply it equally. That's the only fair user fee. But congestion tolling is a load a bull.

Old Posted May 15, 2008, 5:46 AM

I'm just impressed that you capitalized every freaking word.

Old Posted May 15, 2008, 11:35 AM

Quote:
That's why I am so happy to take the train to work each day. I've only filled up once at the beggining of the month and still have 3/4 of a tank of gas. My goal is to make it through the rest of May without gassing up my car.

I've noticed something about TRAX. With all of the new stops it seems to take forever to get through downtown, so I tried an experiment the other afternoon: Instead of riding TRAX as it snaked its way toward the Intermodal Hub, I got off the train at Gallivan Plaza and walked to the hub to catch a FrontRunner train.... and I beat TRAX by three minutes. I walked 6 blocks in less time than it took TRAX to go 12.

There are now 15 stoplights and 8 Stations along the TRAX route downtown. Just something to think about at Salt Lake considers a route for the Airport line and where stops will be located. It may be nice to have stops all over the place to make it easy for everyone to ride, but all the stops make the trip so slow that some will simply give up on TRAX. (I've since found a bus that gets me through downtown faster and ride it instead of TRAX.)

Ark, It would seem that it's about time in the grand scheme of TRAX to start adding more trains to the fleet. Do you know what the goal is in that regard? It's great to have a lot of stops, but it's obvious that more trains need to be added in order to start bringing down the number of stops per train.

Old Posted May 15, 2008, 12:41 PM

Okay... So here's this article in this mornings Trib.

Mass transit
UTA contracts for 77 light-rail cars, options 180 more
Request is the largest-ever order for transit cars from Siemens' plant in Sacramento

Utah's rail revolution is about to power up with a massive train order, accelerating the program to a pace unseen at any American transit agency.
The light-rail system that started in 1999 and now runs 69 electric rail cars just ordered 77 new ones, with an option for many more. The initial order is for $277 million with Siemens, and breaks that company's record for the largest-ever light-rail vehicle order, the company will announce today.
It's far larger than Siemens' last order, a 55-car batch for Denver.
The Germany-based corporation builds rail cars in Sacramento, Calif.
"This is a large order," Utah Transit Authority spokeswoman Carrie Bohnsack-Ware acknowledged. "However, many agencies that are experiencing high growth on their systems have larger orders. . . .This is, however, Siemens' largest single order out of their Sacramento facility."
The purchase is part of UTA's "Frontlines 2015" program extending TRAX light rail from downtown to Salt Lake City International Airport and from the Salt Lake-Sandy rail line to West Jordan, West Valley City and Draper. The program and the rail cars are funded 80 percent through local sales taxes and 20 percent by the federal government.
Siemens' news release about the contract lists an option for 180 more rail cars, though UTA General Manager John Inglish said the agency most likely won't use that many. It's common practice to secure more than needed at a good bulk price, he said, then offer the excess to another transit system that needs the cars. That's how UTA bought its first light-rail cars, on an option from San Diego's system, he said.
"I'm not sure why we have an option for 180. Wishful thinking, maybe," Inglish said. "We probably will always order more than we need, in order to get a good buy."
UTA will need the initial 77 cars and more to operate the four new rail lines, though, he said. And Bohnsack-Ware said the option gives UTA wiggle room if the rider response is bigger than expected, as was the case when TRAX first opened.
"If we see this huge crush of riders like we did on the Sandy-Salt Lake line and we need to buy more, then we can," she said.
UTA is scheduled to break ground on the new Mid-Jordan TRAX line today.
Siemens built 40 of the cars already in use on TRAX. They're the newer, sleeker cars as opposed to used cars purchased from other agencies. The new order is for Siemens' S-70, a more rounded model used in San Diego, Houston and Charlotte, N.C. It's also more accessible for those with disabilities because its floor aligns with the station platforms, eliminating the stairwells, Bohnsack-Ware said.
"Winning the Salt Lake City UTA contract demonstrates the confidence our customers have in Siemens and our products well into the future and further enables us to reinforce our long-term commitment to the riding public," Siemens Transportation Systems CEO Oliver Hauck said in a statement. The company has grown its Sacramento work force by 30 percent in the past two years.

Old Posted May 15, 2008, 2:17 PM
Exit 298

I think you make a good point on the light rail route. I've always supported direct routes or lines on their own R.O.W. because a slow system is no fun to ride. But aren't there plans to make a "loop" out of it.

(BTW arkhitektor, sorry if I sorta snapped at your post about driving, but that's what happens on a day when I get up at 4 A.M. and stay up 'til midnight).

Old Posted May 15, 2008, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post
Yeah, well it isn't the government's place to say only those making over $100K can drive on the road.

Raise the gas tax and apply it equally. That's the only fair user fee. But congestion tolling is a load a bull.
Well, I don't think I would be supportive of a scheme to charge everyone to use roads, but I wouldn't be opposed to expanding the current Express Lane system, allowing those who chose to pay more to use a faster lane.
Also, our I-15 Express Lanes are a step in the right direction, but are pretty lame compared to what they could be. I think that new or reconstructed freeways should have reversible express lanes added to them. Not just HOV striping on the lest lane, but a separate 3-lane reversible segment that ran inbound in the mornings and outbound in the afternoons and charged a toll. That way, nobody would be denied from using the road, but if people wanted to use a fast lane they would have to pay for it.

I-394 West of downtown Minneapolis does this pretty well:

The center two lanes are separated from the rest of the flow of traffic, charge a toll, and are reversible for inbound and outbound traffic.

Old Posted May 15, 2008, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Mass transit
UTA contracts for 77 light-rail cars, options 180 more
Request is the largest-ever order for transit cars from Siemens' plant in Sacramento

Utah's rail revolution is about to power up with a massive train order, accelerating the program to a pace unseen at any American transit agency.

...UTA is scheduled to break ground on the new Mid-Jordan TRAX line today.
Siemens built 40 of the cars already in use on TRAX. They're the newer, sleeker cars as opposed to used cars purchased from other agencies. The new order is for Siemens' S-70, a more rounded model used in San Diego, Houston and Charlotte, N.C. It's also more accessible for those with disabilities because its floor aligns with the station platforms, eliminating the stairwells, Bohnsack-Ware said.
"Winning the Salt Lake City UTA contract demonstrates the confidence our customers have in Siemens and our products well into the future and further enables us to reinforce our long-term commitment to the riding public," Siemens Transportation Systems CEO Oliver Hauck said in a statement. The company has grown its Sacramento work force by 30 percent in the past two years.
I can't wait to start riding this:

Instead of this:

Compared to the new Siemens cars, our current trains look like communist leftovers.

Old Posted May 15, 2008, 3:55 PM
Exit 298

Quote:
Well, I don't think I would be supportive of a scheme to charge everyone to use roads, but I wouldn't be opposed to expanding the current Express Lane system, allowing those who chose to pay more to use a faster lane.
Also, our I-15 Express Lanes are a step in the right direction, but are pretty lame compared to what they could be. I think that new or reconstructed freeways should have reversible express lanes added to them. Not just HOV striping on the lest lane, but a separate 3-lane reversible segment that ran inbound in the mornings and outbound in the afternoons and charged a toll. That way, nobody would be denied from using the road, but if people wanted to use a fast lane they would have to pay for it.

The center two lanes are separated from the rest of the flow of traffic, charge a toll, and are reversible for inbound and outbound traffic.
Well, I suppose I can come half-way and agree with you on that. A "Lexus Lane" (while still a bit of a return to a class-system in America) is arguably OK. But there always needs to be a free alternative.

The trouble with the cooky Utah State Taxpayers Association is that they're talking in terms of wanting to toll ALL of I-15. That defeats the point of why we built the Interstates in the first place.

But OK, I'm cool with a "toll lane." That looks like what I've seen on the 91 in Orange County, California.

Old Posted May 15, 2008, 4:44 PM

WOWZA!!!.... I hadn't realized the new ones on order were going to be so sexy! Very nice.

Old Posted May 15, 2008, 5:35 PM
Expatriate

Quote:
Ark, It would seem that it's about time in the grand scheme of TRAX to start adding more trains to the fleet. Do you know what the goal is in that regard? It's great to have a lot of stops, but it's obvious that more trains need to be added in order to start bringing down the number of stops per train.
Delts, are you referring to the implementation of a local vs. express type of service? Are you aware of any agencies that have gone this route with a light rail system? The train I typically ride from Plano to downtown Dallas stops 12 times in 15 miles and takes 33 minutes. I would love to hop on an express and skip some stops, but I don't know if that's possible or permissible. DART is very similar to TRAX, and I assume that trains speeding through stations would pose a safety risk to passengers standing on the boarding platforms. It's a little too late to add a third (express) track to bypass the platforms. Still, if this is possible I would whole-heartedly support it.

Old Posted May 15, 2008, 6:24 PM

Yes, the new cars are much more sexy. Exciting times for mass transit in Utah! Now, let's get Frontrunner down to the UC!

Old Posted May 15, 2008, 7:02 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

I think I've said this previously but I don't have anything else to do today so I'll mention it again.

After they finish they initial Front Runner to UT County line to East Lake in Provo I think think they have three more extension that need to occur, maybe four. The obviously need to begin the extension to Brigham City to the north and Nephi to the south, which I think are the eventual long range plans anyway. The third line need to be out to Tooele, wether we like it or not Tooele county is booming, it is one of the only places a young family can afford a house. I think that is the most logical next commuter rail line (maybe call it the Lake Runner)

I was reading an article in Urban Land today regarding the nations transportation system and the need for investment in a nation rail system and regional lines. What if Utah and Idaho joined forces to create a high speed rail to connect Salt Lake City to Boise and maybe Utah could join forces with Colorado to connect Salt Lake City to Denver. They each state would have their own regional rail (FrontRunner) and Trax to connect to the other cities. Just a thought.

Old Posted May 15, 2008, 9:12 PM
Exit 298

^^^^

I used to wonder that myself. I rode the MAX in Portland and thought "how cool would this be if I could just 'stay on' and soon here 'next stop, Gallivan Center, 100 South.''"

Old Posted May 16, 2008, 6:26 AM
Closed account

Quote:
WOWZA!!!.... I hadn't realized the new ones on order were going to be so sexy! Very nice.

No kidding! Does anybody know when we'll start seeing these? I hope it's not when all the other lines are done, I want to ride in that NOW!

Old Posted May 16, 2008, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utaaah! View Post
Delts, are you referring to the implementation of a local vs. express type of service? Are you aware of any agencies that have gone this route with a light rail system? The train I typically ride from Plano to downtown Dallas stops 12 times in 15 miles and takes 33 minutes. I would love to hop on an express and skip some stops, but I don't know if that's possible or permissible. DART is very similar to TRAX, and I assume that trains speeding through stations would pose a safety risk to passengers standing on the boarding platforms. It's a little too late to add a third (express) track to bypass the platforms. Still, if this is possible I would whole-heartedly support it.
I would certainly hope it's possible. I don't know why certain trains bypassing certain stops would have to be any more of an unnecessary risk than the train running down and through the middle of 400 south itself. It's not like they are traveling at high rates of speed as it is. I mean, it would seem to me that every stop for all trains is a little over the top.

TRAX to get 77 new light-rail cars - Delivery over 4 years to coincide with the finish of new lines

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1...226477,00.html

Mid-Jordan work begins - When finished, TRAX line will run from Murray to Daybreak

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/1...226502,00.html

(Ashley Lowery, Deseret News)

"To me, this is like Christmas, " Midvale Mayor JoAnn Seghini said. "To me, this is like birthdays or anything else that has meaning in life.... This is the best present I've seen or will ever have."

Last edited by delts145; May 16, 2008 at 12:35 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West