HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Nov 25, 2019, 11:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae View Post
Quick, someone get the streetview of Downtown Houston and say it's actually Manhattan
Heck, you can do that with Tulsa, OK.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 5:40 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
ok, i'm confused. What neighborhoods are those supposed to look like in LA exactly? And LA doesn't haven't what exactly? Those two links look like NOVA suburbia. Yes, LA does have those developments, so I'm not sure what you're getting at. Thos aren't urban or unique areas.

So in your opinion Houston looks like LA on a few blocks? I mean, that's true for most city comparisons anywhere. That's not gonna cut it.

Here's Melrose in West LA, which many blocks look like in a "newer" part of the city.
http://https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0819875,-118.3787231,3a,75y,258.69h,89.54t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sxpNU39zoT5kuqRtoHs10RA!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
It's hilarious how capable of being both uninformed yet adamant you are. The area shown (Melrose between La Cienega and San Vicente) in the link you posted is in no way, shape or form in "West LA". It's obviously West Hollywood, just a few blocks East of Beverly Hills. How do I know? Because I lived half a mile from that exact block two years ago.

And as stated by a previous poster, "West Los Angeles" is technically a very small area West of Westwood (and, subsequently, the 405), East of Santa Monica and South of Brentwood.

But carry on, Mr. know-it-all LA booster.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 1:37 PM

It's hilarious how you can't understand anything.
The West la conversation ended days ago, and was not brought up yesterday.

I said a "newer" part of LA, which it is, to show even post war LA looks different from other Sunbelt cities.

And Trae never said the neighborhood of West La, which is a small area.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 3:30 PM
Environmental Sabotage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYNYC View Post
It's hilarious how capable of being both uninformed yet adamant you are. The area shown (Melrose between La Cienega and San Vicente) in the link you posted is in no way, shape or form in "West LA". It's obviously West Hollywood, just a few blocks East of Beverly Hills. How do I know? Because I lived half a mile from that exact block two years ago.

And as stated by a previous poster, "West Los Angeles" is technically a very small area West of Westwood (and, subsequently, the 405), East of Santa Monica and South of Brentwood.

But carry on, Mr. know-it-all LA booster.
Man Angelenos living in the basin always used either fairfax or la cienega as the border line between the east and west side of the metro. Of course this was over 20 years ago when everything east of fairfax was considered sketchy.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 3:33 PM

Exactly.
I thought that's been understood for decades. The LA times discussing that from the 1990s, probably the 1980s. West Hollywood and Beverly Hills have always been part of West LA/westside of LA, whatever you want to call it. Otherwise, what else is it? Central LA? Most people wouldn't agree to that.

Even if you think the westside/West LA starts at the 405 (some do) how many Angelenos talk about West LA and refer to that small neighborhood near Brentwood?

Last edited by LA21st; Nov 26, 2019 at 3:53 PM.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 4:17 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Exactly.
I thought that's been understood for decades. The LA times discussing that from the 1990s, probably the 1980s. West Hollywood and Beverly Hills have always been part of West LA/westside of LA, whatever you want to call it. Otherwise, what else is it? Central LA? Most people wouldn't agree to that.

Even if you think the westside/West LA starts at the 405 (some do) how many Angelenos talk about West LA and refer to that small neighborhood near Brentwood?
“West LA” is an actual neighborhood, and people do use that term sometimes to describe the areas that don’t fall under “Brentwood” or “Sawtelle.”

The “Westside” is a region that generally begins at La Cienega (the Beverly Hills border). West Hollywood, Beverly Grove, and the Fairfax District certainly aren’t the Westside in my mind, even if they’re populated by lots of Hollywood-types, Jews, and transplants. They have a distinct Hollywood/Mid-City fabric and feel.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 4:48 PM

It's funny how different people define "Westside" differently. Could be a generational thing.

I'm a Gen-Xer born in 1970; for me, LA's Westside was always west of Beverly Hills and north of Venice. So, Century City, Westwood, Bel Air, Sawtelle, West LA... those were all "Westside." Beverly Hills was always referred to as Beverly Hills. Same with West Hollywood. If you were in Beverly Hills, or going to Beverly Hills, you said you were going to Beverly Hills or "I'll be in Beverly Hills." You never said you were going to the Westside. Venice had/has a strong enough identity that it's also considered its own entity. I've heard people refer to Marina del Rey as the Westside, but that's iffy for me. I consider Westchester to be "LAX." It's funny... years ago, I had a co-worker that many of us couldn't stand. She was an odd duck... and she was a GEM (sarcasm, of course). And she would always say that she was from the "East Coast," but she wouldn't be specific as to where (I've encountered other transplants who were like that). I learned later that she was from somewhere in Pennsylvania. I'm like, 'why don't you just say where you're from??' Anyway, we had to attend a seminar at the Airport Hilton on Century Boulevard near LAX. I ended up having to sit next to her. Her cell phone rang, and it was her husband. She said "Didn't I tell you I had to go to a seminar?? I'm on the Westside! I won't be home for HOURS!" And I was thinking like 'Uh, this ain't the Westside, lady!' And she lived in Sierra Madre.

South of LAX is the South Bay, and I include Inglewood as being part of the South Bay.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixote View Post
“West LA” is an actual neighborhood, and people do use that term sometimes to describe the areas that don’t fall under “Brentwood” or “Sawtelle.”

The “Westside” is a region that generally begins at La Cienega (the Beverly Hills border). West Hollywood, Beverly Grove, and the Fairfax District certainly aren’t the Westside in my mind, even if they’re populated by lots of Hollywood-types, Jews, and transplants. They have a distinct Hollywood/Mid-City fabric and feel.
Yea, people have different ideas about it. I think it's LA Cienega, because that's where I think the city changes.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
It's funny how different people define "Westside" differently. Could be a generational thing.

I'm a Gen-Xer born in 1970; for me, LA's Westside was always west of Beverly Hills and north of Venice. So, Century City, Westwood, Bel Air, Sawtelle, West LA... those were all "Westside." Beverly Hills was always referred to as Beverly Hills. Same with West Hollywood. If you were in Beverly Hills, or going to Beverly Hills, you said you were going to Beverly Hills or "I'll be in Beverly Hills." You never said you were going to the Westside. Venice had/has a strong enough identity that it's also considered its own entity. I've heard people refer to Marina del Rey as the Westside, but that's iffy for me. I consider Westchester to be "LAX." It's funny... years ago, I had a co-worker that many of us couldn't stand. She was an odd duck... and she was a GEM (sarcasm, of course). And she would always say that she was from the "East Coast," but she wouldn't be specific as to where (I've encountered other transplants who were like that). I learned later that she was from somewhere in Pennsylvania. I'm like, 'why don't you just say where you're from??' Anyway, we had to attend a seminar at the Airport Hilton on Century Boulevard near LAX. I ended up having to sit next to her. Her cell phone rang, and it was her husband. She said "Didn't I tell you I had to go to a seminar?? I'm on the Westside! I won't be home for HOURS!" And I was thinking like 'Uh, this ain't the Westside, lady!' And she lived in Sierra Madre.

South of LAX is the South Bay, and I include Inglewood as being part of the South Bay.
Now I can't get with Inglewood being part of the South Bay. Inglewood is like "Greater LAX" to me. That whole Culver City/northern Inglewood/Ladera/Baldwin Hills area is its own thing. Hawthorne could possibly be considered the start of the South Bay, which Long Beach is the capital of.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 5:41 PM
Dryer lint inspector

hOw DaRe YoU cOmPaRe HoUsToN tO lA!

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Now I can't get with Inglewood being part of the South Bay. Inglewood is like "Greater LAX" to me. That whole Culver City/northern Inglewood/Ladera/Baldwin Hills area is its own thing. Hawthorne could possibly be considered the start of the South Bay, which Long Beach is the capital of.
I always felt that Inglewood has a South Bay vibe to me; Hawthorne is definitely part of the South Bay, as is Lawndale. Torrance, Gardena, Carson are all South Bay, as well as Lomita... though even Lomita feels borderline PV to me. I know some people consider the Palos Verdes Peninsula cities to be part of the South Bay, but to me, PV is its own entity. As well as San Pedro/Wilmington/Harbor City. Those are all "The Port" to me. Some people consider Compton to be part of the South Bay but to me it's part of Southeast LA County.

Now where I really disagree with you is Long Beach being the capital of the South Bay. Long Beach isn't part of the South Bay; it's not even on Santa Monica Bay. Long Beach has long had its own strong identity. If anything, Long Beach is often grouped with Southeast LA County---where I grew up (in Cerritos). The funny thing with Southeast LA County is that there are areas that some people see as fuzzy; Compton sometimes gets grouped with the South Bay, but I see it as SELAC. Whittier is borderline SELAC but sometimes gets grouped with the SGV.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
I always felt that Inglewood has a South Bay vibe to me; Hawthorne is definitely part of the South Bay, as is Lawndale. Torrance, Gardena, Carson are all South Bay, as well as Lomita... though even Lomita feels borderline PV to me. I know some people consider the Palos Verdes Peninsula cities to be part of the South Bay, but to me, PV is its own entity. As well as San Pedro/Wilmington/Harbor City. Those are all "The Port" to me. Some people consider Compton to be part of the South Bay but to me it's part of Southeast LA County.

Now where I really disagree with you is Long Beach being the capital of the South Bay. Long Beach isn't part of the South Bay; it's not even on Santa Monica Bay. Long Beach has long had its own strong identity. If anything, Long Beach is often grouped with Southeast LA County---where I grew up (in Cerritos). The funny thing with Southeast LA County is that there are areas that some people see as fuzzy; Compton sometimes gets grouped with the South Bay, but I see it as SELAC. Whittier is borderline SELAC but sometimes gets grouped with the SGV.
The reason why I consider Long Beach part of the South Bay is because it's culturally connected to it and where South Bay residents tend to go for entertainment. I worked briefly in Torrance and it's what I felt from most residents there. They'd always go to Long Beach for a restaurant, night out, etc., rather than drive up to LA. Just because it's not on Santa Monica Bay doesn't mean it still can't be the capital of that region. Carson, Lomita, Gardena and Lawndale don't touch Santa Monica Bay either, yet are considered "South Bay". Torrance only has like a half-mile stretch of ocean front in its city limits.

Agree about the Palos Verdes Peninsula being it's own entity, and this only includes the cities actually on the hill (so not Torrance or Lomita).

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 8:50 PM

I live in the south bay and Long Beach has never been considered a part of the south bay. It's its own thing.

As for what exactly makes up the "westside" of LA, it's pretty simple: the farther west you live, the more exclusive your definition of "westside." I guess you could say the same for "south bay." People from Carson and Inglewood think they live in the south bay. People from Manhattan beach would beg to differ.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 11:34 PM

Makes sense.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 1:54 AM
BANNED

Quote:
It's hilarious how you can't understand anything.

I said a "newer" part of LA, which it is, to show even post war LA looks different from other Sunbelt cities.
You literally typed - and I quote - "Here's Melrose in West LA" and then included a Google images link to 8565 Melrose Avenue, West Hollywood.

You clearly don't understand the distinctions between West Los Angeles, West Hollywood and The Westside, the latter of which encompasses the two former.

But, as I said, carry on, Mr. know-it-all LA booster.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 2:22 AM
BANNED

Quote:

Long Beach isn't the capital of the South Bay. It's distinctly it's own thing.

The South Bay is comprised of El Segundo, Hermosa Beach, Manhattan Beach, Redondo Beach, Torrance, the Palos Verdes communities and, to a lesser degree, Hawthorne and Lawndale.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 2:29 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by dktshb View Post
Both cities have a freeway loop around them but that is where the similarities end.
L.A. doesn't have a freeway loop around it in the way Houston does. Sure, if you take the stretch of 10 between the 405 and 110, the 405 between the 10 and the 101, the 101 between the 405 and the 110 you get a pseudo-loop, but Houston actually has several legit loops (610, 8, and, to a lesser degree, 6) running completely around it.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYNYC View Post
Long Beach isn't the capital of the South Bay. It's distinctly it's own thing.

The South Bay is comprised of El Segundo, Hermosa Beach, Manhattan Beach, Redondo Beach, Torrance, the Palos Verdes communities and, to a lesser degree, Hawthorne and Lawndale.
Long Beach is its own thing and where many South Bay residents go for their entertainment. Is that better? I only briefly lived in Long Beach while working in Torrance, and from an outsiders point of view it is what it felt like. Everyone was going to Long Beach for something. It's like how Pasadena is treated for people within the SGV.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 4:01 AM

Long Beach isn't South Bay, and it's not merely semantics or homer talk.

The cities along the southern end of Santa Monica Bay, the "South Bay" cities, are oriented toward their west-facing beaches. That's where all the action is, and if you're on the beach in the South Bay, you can watch the sun set over the open Pacific.

Meanwhile, around the Palos Verdes peninsula and past the massive Long Beach-Los Angeles port complex, Long Beach's namesake beach faces southward into San Pedro Bay, with its 8.5 mile long breakwater protecting the harbor. And Long Beach is actually populous and built-up enough to have its own identity anyway.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 5:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigs View Post
Long Beach isn't South Bay, and it's not merely semantics or homer talk.

The cities along the southern end of Santa Monica Bay, the "South Bay" cities, are oriented toward their west-facing beaches. That's where all the action is, and if you're on the beach in the South Bay, you can watch the sun set over the open Pacific.

Meanwhile, around the Palos Verdes peninsula and past the massive Long Beach-Los Angeles port complex, Long Beach's namesake beach faces southward into San Pedro Bay, with its 8.5 mile long breakwater protecting the harbor. And Long Beach is actually populous and built-up enough to have its own identity anyway.
Except most of the South Bay cities don't even touch the beach. It's just a catch all name for the cluster of small cities not on the water because they didn't have the population or identity of Long Beach. But let's not act like the South Bay cities aren't very tied into Long Beach, because they are and specifically the inland cities. The relationship and closeness LBC has with these cities, especially Carson, Torrance, Lomita, etc., is why I mistakenly grouped it in.

Last edited by Trae; Nov 27, 2019 at 5:44 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions