HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Apr 30, 2024, 11:37 PM

[Coquitlam] Pine and Glen Onni | 156, 143, 78m | 50, 45, 22 fl |

This development will include the tallest and second tallest buildings near Coquitlam Centre. Looks like excavation is fully underway at the time of making this thread.

From The Daily Hive:
Quote:
The application designed by Ciccozzi Architecture calls for a mixed-use redevelopment with three towers — 49 storeys (514 ft), 45 storeys (472 ft), and 25 storeys (258 ft). There will also be podium structures reaching five and six storeys in height.

A total of 891 homes are proposed, including 705 market condominium units and 186 purpose-built rental units, which makes this the largest rental housing project in the municipality. These market rental units are made possible by the city’s 2015-approved Housing Affordability Strategy.

All of the project’s proposed rental units will be contained within the shortest of the three towers.

The market ownership unit mix is 321 one-bedroom units, 289 two-bedroom units, and 95 three-bedroom units, while the rental unit mix is 40 studio units, 66 one-bedroom units, 49 two-bedroom units, and 31 three-bedroom units.

A large commercial component is incorporated into this project, with 72,000-sq-ft of space located within the lower levels. This includes 17,000-sq-ft of ground-floor retail, 46,520-sq-ft of office space, and a 8,450-sq-ft daycare with a capacity of between 80 and 100 children.

A total of 67,000-sq-ft. of amenities are proposed, such as a bowling alley, lounges, yoga room, games room, fitness gym, and multipurpose rooms, and private outdoor spaces with a swimming pool, hot tub, covered cabanas, large lawn, kitchen and BBQ area, children’s playground, urban agriculture spaces, and a dog run.

To support the project’s density and uses, 1,329 vehicle parking stalls within underground levels are proposed, including 832 stalls with a Level 2 EV charger — a minimum of one parking space equipped with an EV outlet.

The developer has proposed a number of community benefits, such as a public art feature valued at $250,000, an on-site micro-district energy system, and 5,000-sq-ft of office space owned by the municipal government. The scope of this project is also anticipated to generate $12 million in development cost charge funds, $31 million in density bonus funds, and $64,350 in voluntary community amenity contributions.

Altogether, this project is striving for a total floor area of 863,760-sq-ft — giving it a floor area ratio density of 7.32 times the size of its lot — and a LEED Silver green building equivalency.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2024, 11:40 PM

Sorry if I did the thread wrong in some way, it's my first time posting a thread. Took a picture of the excavation but it's not great because I took it from a car. Also unsure if the largest tower is 49 or 50 floors, I saw both online.

https://postimg.cc/N5XBy03Z

Old Posted May 1, 2024, 12:25 AM

1300 parking spaces for 900 units, steps to Skytrain?! I realize some of those spaces are for the commercial space, but still...

Old Posted May 1, 2024, 6:53 PM

Drove by this the other day. This is a great location.

Old Posted May 1, 2024, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idunno View Post
1300 parking spaces for 900 units, steps to Skytrain?! I realize some of those spaces are for the commercial space, but still...
You need a car to live in the burbs, as SkyTrain only takes you in one direction. I am happy that the developer is realistic about it, but roads really need widening in Tri-Cities. It's already bad and the population planned to increase significantly.

Old Posted May 1, 2024, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
You need a car to live in the burbs, as SkyTrain only takes you in one direction. I am happy that the developer is realistic about it, but roads really need widening in Tri-Cities. It's already bad and the population planned to increase significantly.
Do we really need to induce more car demand?

Old Posted May 1, 2024, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaddieB View Post
One more lane will fix it this time!

Old Posted May 1, 2024, 11:06 PM

Frankly there's Burke Mountain "the burbs" and there's Pinetree Way at Coq Ctr "the burbs."

I'm not saying Coquitlam Town Centre is THE poster child of a walkable neighbourhood where nobody will ever want to drive. Far from it. But to ignore the idea that some portion of residents will not need/want a parking space at this location is a shame from a policy and demand perspective.

Old Posted May 2, 2024, 12:20 AM

I live in Coquitlam, West/Lougheed side and its a pain to get to Coquitlam Centre, can take anywhere from 20 minutes to 60 minutes depending traffic. Even with heavy traffic I can get to Guildford TC in under 20 minutes.

There really aren't that many options traveling west to east out here unless you know the side roads.

Old Posted May 2, 2024, 1:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaddieB View Post
What are you basing the claim on (that providing the space is inducing demand)?

I live in a building with hundreds and hundreds of parking spots. The building is 5-8 minutes from a station (Burquitlam). People are fighting over parking spaces.

It defies logic to argue that providing the thing that one wants is inducing demand. Meeting demand is not "inducing" demand. Building a giant tower with no parking space in Coquitlam is quick way to bankrupt the company.

Old Posted May 2, 2024, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idunno View Post
Frankly there's Burke Mountain "the burbs" and there's Pinetree Way at Coq Ctr "the burbs."

I'm not saying Coquitlam Town Centre is THE poster child of a walkable neighbourhood where nobody will ever want to drive. Far from it. But to ignore the idea that some portion of residents will not need/want a parking space at this location is a shame from a policy and demand perspective.
What are you basing this on? Even the unit I used to own in Downtown came with a parking and everyone in my building was posting in our portal begging for a space for hundreds of dollars per month. And that's Downtown Vancouver!

Why would a developer add cost to their units if there was no demand for the product?

Old Posted May 2, 2024, 7:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burquitlaman View Post

I live in a building with hundreds and hundreds of parking spots. The building is 5-8 minutes from a station (Burquitlam). People are fighting over parking spaces.

It defies logic to argue that providing the thing that one wants is inducing demand. Meeting demand is not "inducing" demand. Building a giant tower with no parking space in Coquitlam is quick way to bankrupt the company.
I'm talking about widening roads.

Old Posted May 2, 2024, 8:06 AM

Took some better pictures of the excavation this evening.

https://postimg.cc/BjZtq02V
https://postimg.cc/ZC45cSs5

Old Posted May 3, 2024, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burquitlaman View Post

The fairy tale of induced demand is something NPC's love repeating, nothing more. In reality, the demand is already there and only growing. People love going places and our poor transit is not going to support that. Car is always the way to go for families and people that want to get around.

Coquitlam really needs a 6-lane freeway connector to Highway 1.

Old Posted May 3, 2024, 8:59 PM

Quote:
The fairy tale of induced demand is something NPC's love repeating, nothing more.
It's induced because cities like Coquitlam make it the only viable method of transportation. As you say, "SkyTrain only takes you in one direction" and "our poor transit is not going to support that". We're not inducing much demand for transit, because we're not building very much of it. The way forward is to instead spend more to improve transit and other non-car methods of transportation like cycling.

I agree that driving is the only method that works for some people, like say, big families. However, that does not mean everyone who drives would be driving if other methods of transportation were provided. Coquitlam already has a plethora of large stroads and highways, if it's not enough now, expanding them won't be enough in the future.

If we spent a fraction of what we spent on cars for transit and active transportation, we'd be much better for it.

Old Posted May 3, 2024, 9:21 PM

Quote:
The fairy tale of induced demand is something NPC's love repeating, nothing more. In reality, the demand is already there and only growing. People love going places and our poor transit is not going to support that. Car is always the way to go for families and people that want to get around.

Coquitlam really needs a 6-lane freeway connector to Highway 1.
Induced demand is a fact. In your opinion Coquitlam needs more freeways. Another solution would be more Skytrain and bus service.

Old Posted May 3, 2024, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcj View Post
One more lane will fix it this time!
It did for the Gateway Program and Port Mann bridge. I think however the cap for Hwy 1 should be 8 lanes where trucks and BRT have the accommodation and capacity to move seamlessly from one location to the other.

Old Posted May 4, 2024, 12:47 AM

The Port Mann replacement faciliates further sprawl in the valley. Instead of greenfield development being centered around a train (or just in the city, although restrictive zoning is to blame) it's around the highway, which will cause the Port Mann to be jammed again. Good thing it was designed with the ability to convert two lanes for rail.

Old Posted May 5, 2024, 1:32 AM

Took a panorama of the excavation site. Surprisingly, they've made some progress just in the past 3 days. I'll probably post panos like this from now on, better at showcasing the full size of the construction site. From now on I won't post pictures every 3 days lol, I don't wanna post excessively.

Full resolution

Old Posted May 13, 2024, 6:38 AM

Update from earlier today.

Full resolution

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley