HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Oct 28, 2011, 6:01 PM
Torontonian Refugee

Go-Karts?

After a lengthy Mario Kart tournament, one of my friends suggested that we ought to go for a real Go-Kart outing someday. Personally I think it's a good idea (haven't been in years), but I don't know of any decent tracks in London. Has anyone here ever been go-karting in the Forest City before? If so, do you know anywhere closeby (ie within 20 minutes of the built-up area) that has a moderately challenging track? We're not talking stig-level, but something beyond kiddy karts would be nice.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2011, 3:11 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Go karting was big in Quebec where I hail from, but I have seen very little in Ontario.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2011, 4:12 AM
Sanity merchant

Outside of Hamilton has a large fast one I believe

Old Posted Oct 29, 2011, 5:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K85 View Post
Outside of Hamilton has a large fast one I believe
A long time ago, the fastest track for any open wheel (or for that matter anything with wheels) closest to London was Michigan Speedway.

Saturday morning practice way back then was 30 minutes of magic. Those speeds can't be matched now.

I love the smell of methanol in the morning, and it's been too long since then.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2011, 2:52 AM

East Park has one. There used to be an even better one at Wally World. I think the track is still there, visible in Google aerial photos.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2011, 4:59 PM
Torontonian Refugee

So it looks like the general consensus is "slim pickins".

I've looked at East Park before, pretty ho-hum track which would be fine if it weren't for the slightly outrageous price scheme. Most places I've been to before charge per hour or per visit, but East Park charges per lap; 10 miserable little laps cost $20. The place I used to go to in Toronto offered unlimited racing for the day at those prices. Unfortunately, it looks like the only alternative within 20-30 minutes is no karting, or finding some safe, private track/road to have a decidedly lame race between a Saturn L-series, Ford Windstar and a Volvo 740.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation