HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Feb 12, 2011, 3:21 PM

Not related to London

but Conestoga Mall in Waterloo is getting an Apple Store

I wonder when London is going to get one in Masonville?

Old Posted Feb 12, 2011, 9:25 PM

I would rather an Apple Store downtown, not in Masonville...

Old Posted Feb 23, 2011, 11:01 AM

As sad as it's to see Westmount being changed, I think they should just tear down the place. I rarely see Metro busy, Cineplex is not really even part of it, but the mall is kind of hiding Cineplex. I believe they should just tear down Westmount and build a mega complex (Like at Fanshawe + Hyde Park). Don't build a Walmart on Exiter and Wonderland (or where ever they are going to place it), build it right in Westmount. And that's where you put your Apple Store. I know they won't because they have already started (and almost finished) constuction on two new entrances.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2011, 2:54 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Along with others, I believe that an Apple Store belongs on Richmond Row or better yet, on King.

Walfart at Westmount? Maybe, but the lot is too small for another dumbcentre, which in any case would be completely redundant as there is already one at Southdale/Wonderland.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2011, 3:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
Along with others, I believe that an Apple Store belongs on Richmond Row or better yet, on King.

Walfart at Westmount? Maybe, but the lot is too small for another dumbcentre, which in any case would be completely redundant as there is already one at Southdale/Wonderland.
there is no walmart at southdale/wonderland

Old Posted Feb 23, 2011, 7:23 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^there is a dumbcentre, and there is a Super-Walfart planned for Exeter-Wonderland.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2011, 11:12 PM

Quote:

Well it doesn't need a "dumb" center Those are way too big for Westmount, but indoor malls are dying so having stores outside are needed; I think.

Also, kind of contradicting my point, but I think there needs to be an Apple store in either Masonville or White Oaks.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2011, 12:34 AM

No more pedestrian-unfriendly outdoor shopping centres, please!!!

The redevelopment of Oakridge Mall was a textbook example of how NOT to redevelop a dead mall. What has replaced it is one of the most pedestrian-unfriendly commercial developments I have ever seen in a residential area. Particularly on the south side of Oxford Street, pedestrians cannot access the Starbucks there without either having to walk on a narrow shrub-lined access road, or crossing through the Shell station and going around the convenience store. It is particularly problematic at this time of year because of the snowbanks. That Starbucks even has its entrance facing away from the road and into the parking lot, and the drive-thru lane is showcased facing the road.

The point is, Westmount Mall has a large amount of residential development near it, and whatever development on the Westmount Mall site must take the interests of pedestrians into account. The plans I saw for the current Westmount redevelopment appears to do a good job at this. White Oaks and Masonville prove that indoor malls are viable, but I don't think London can support more than two of these types of shopping facilities anymore. Westmount having some shopping available on the lower level and other services on the upper level is likely a good balance.

What might really help Westmount is if the Zellers there becomes a Target.

Last edited by manny_santos; Feb 24, 2011 at 12:44 AM.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2011, 4:50 PM

Where did you see plans for the Westmount redevelopment?

Old Posted Feb 24, 2011, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by van Hemessen View Post
Where did you see plans for the Westmount redevelopment?
This is going back about 3 or 4 years - it was in the London Free Press.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2011, 12:30 AM

MASONVILLE RENOVATION

Source: http://www.masonvilleplace.ca/en/cus...s/default.aspx

Quote:
Masonville Place will be undergoing some renovations over the next few months!

Here are the key areas that we will be changing:

New Food Court
Full washroom renovations
New entrance doors
New ceiling tile throughout
Fresh paint
re-lamping all existing lights

FEBRUARY UPDATE: Some of you may have noticed that the washrooms on the upper level between Banana Republic and the GAP are closed. These facilities will be undergoing a full renovation, including a new nursing room. They are scheduled to re-open in April.

On the upper level, ceiling work has commenced and approximately half of the ceiling tile has been removed so far. The ceiling grid will be painted and new ceiling tile will be installed.

Removal of the Sears planters has already started and will be completed in approximately three weeks. New planters will be installed at a later date.

COMING UP NEXT: Ceiling work will continue throughout the upper level with the addition of new lighting in some areas.
Interested in the food court, current one is very outdated as well as most of the mall compared to other malls in Ontario...

Old Posted Feb 25, 2011, 12:40 AM
Wannabe Urbanite

^That's good to hear. The food court, and washrooms were recently renovated at White Oaks, so that's probably what made Masonville want to do the same.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2011, 5:43 AM
Sanity merchant

The Citi Plaza one is great, ditto on the White Oaks. Look forward to what Masonville will do.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2011, 2:46 AM

I visited Oxbury Mall today...oh what a dump.

First, there was Food Basics. Parts of the ceiling are covered by blue tarps, and other parts of the ceiling are in poor condition. That supermarket is in the worst condition of any supermarket I have been to in North or Central America.

The Hallmark store in the mall has a sign up saying they're moving to Bellwood Plaza (LCBO plaza at Oxford and Gammage) at the beginning of May. As there is a Canada Post outlet in that store, that will be the end of having a post office within walking distance of Fanshawe College.

Aside from Medix School, one of the only other tenants is a little joint called Seniors Craft Store. It even had an elderly woman inside knitting! The entire east half of the mall past the diner is abandoned storefronts, plus Payless Liquidation.

I think this place puts both London Mall and Kitchener's Frederick Mall to shame. Too bad I didn't have my camera with me.

Last edited by manny_santos; Mar 20, 2011 at 3:07 AM.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2011, 3:03 AM
bro

Bright side: I had to bus out to Oxbury's Hallmark store to pick up a package recently so them moving to Bellwood puts it within walking distance of me.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2011, 6:02 AM
Sanity merchant

dunno why that made me a sad panda. Hope they are making money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_santos View Post
......one of the only other tenants is a little joint called Seniors Craft Store. It even had an elderly woman inside knitting! .............

Old Posted Mar 21, 2011, 1:08 PM
The Vomit Bag.

I must visit oxbury to personally take in the shittiness.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2011, 5:47 PM

Quote:
I must visit oxbury to personally take in the shittiness.

Its the best mall in London.... better then Masonrich and Whitecraps

Old Posted Mar 24, 2011, 2:43 AM
The Vomit Bag.

Of course it is. I am very jealous, because I live so far away from it.

Last edited by MolsonExport; Mar 24, 2011 at 4:23 PM.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 8:41 PM

new store at Masonville

Pandora - upscale jewelry

This is what a typical store looks like...

Click for large view - Uploaded with Skitch

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > London > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation