HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography

Old Posted Mar 1, 2014, 3:07 AM

Joshua Tree National Park

One of the newer national parks, Joshua Tree is one of the most unique landscapes found in North America. Covering an area bigger than Rhode Island, it is where two deserts meet - the Mojave and the Colorado. The park contains not one, but two diverse ecosystems, one in each of the deserts, separated by 3,000 feet of elevation.

The Mojave Desert half of the park is higher, cooler, and contains the parks namesake: the Joshua Tree. Native to California, Arizona, Utah, and Nevada, it is only found in the Mojave Desert, and thrives in Joshua Tree NP.

Also found in Joshua Tree are massive hills of bare rock and boulders, famous for climbing. The actual joshua trees are found in the flatlands between the rock outcrops. One rock outcrop, The Wonderland of Rocks (the area I hiked through below), was lived in for most of the time prior to the area's designation as a national monument in 1936. First Native American tribes passed through the rocky area, and eventually cattle grazing came to the desert, when the Keys Ranch and dam were built. Cattle grazing was followed by mining, with 3 former mines still remaining in the park.

Nine designated campgrounds exist in the Mojave Desert area of the park, and backcountry camping is permitted with the proper permits. There are 3 nature trails and 9 long hike trails, all through various environments. It also notable for its bird-watching and star-gazing.

Joshua Tree is definitely a must-see for anyone who is interested in nature.

These next photos are taken from Keys View, atop the mountain range separating Joshua Tree from the Coachella Valley and California's Inland Empire, where the cities of Palm Springs and Indio are located.

The Salton Sea, 230 ft below sea level, can be seen in the distance in the picture above.

So that's Joshua Tree National Park. It's an impossibly beautiful, otherworldly part of the United States, and I will definitely be visiting again one day.

Thanks for looking!

Old Posted Mar 2, 2014, 10:07 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

Thanks! Great stuff.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 3:40 PM
Universal Traveler

Smile

Fantastic pictures! Joshua Tree National Park is an impressive place and it has an amazing landscape. Thanks for sharing.

I like those peculiar palm trees, very famous of that National Park, and besides the tittle of that wonderful album of U2.

Congrats and greetings from Madrid, Spain.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2014, 6:24 PM

I stayed in this park a year ago and absolutely loved it. It is a paradise for photographers. I had my dSLR only a month or so and barely knew how to use it at that point, so my photos weren't the best. I did manage to get some nice ones, I will share later when I get a chance.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColDayMan View Post
Thanks! Great stuff.
Thanks for looking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post
Fantastic pictures! Joshua Tree National Park is an impressive place and it has an amazing landscape. Thanks for sharing.

I like those peculiar palm trees, very famous of that National Park, and besides the tittle of that wonderful album of U2.

Congrats and greetings from Madrid, Spain.
Thank you, it is an amazing place. And that U2 album is great too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
I stayed in this park a year ago and absolutely loved it. It is a paradise for photographers. I had my dSLR only a month or so and barely knew how to use it at that point, so my photos weren't the best. I did manage to get some nice ones, I will share later when I get a chance.
One day I'll camp there, it seems like a great time. I would like to do some of the longer hikes too one day. Thanks for looking, I'm looking forward to some of your pictures!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography