HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 5:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post

I guess Dana was counting on The Crowded Sky, that great aerial soap opera, being a big hit (it was released on September 2, 1960). He had good taste in Dingbats.

Poseidon's Underworld, the drollest blog on the net about film, has a great review here.

An interesting and noirish tidbit from the Poseidon's Underworld review is this about Tom Gilson and Saundra Edwards who met while filming "The Crowded Sky". I believe Edwards is the very attractive brunette flight attendant in the photo above.

"He met (and soon married) Saundra Edwards during the filming of this movie. She is the brunette stewardess and was a burgeoning starlet in the wake of a 1957 Playboy spread. Only two years later, after he had beaten her one too many times and nearly harmed their baby, she fled to her sister’s house where he called and threatened her and then tried to break in and, potentially, kill her. She grabbed a shotgun that her brother-in-law had given her to “scare him” with and it went off, blowing a hole in him. Gilson died and, unfortunately for her, so did Edwards’ career, though the incident was ruled justifiable homicide."

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 5:25 AM

San Diego

That's downtown San Diego, Broadway near 5th, overlooking Horton Plaza. Wonderful photos.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 5:39 AM

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 5:48 AM

RE: Dana Andrews' apartment buildings

Quote:

LAT July 31, 1960
GW, I decided to check out the other location on Whipple St. and it led me down a rabbit hole.

First of all, it's actually three buildings and it's now known as the Whipple Grove Apts.

gsv

There's a rather nice photograph of one of the inner courts here: duggan properties

I wasn't able to find a build date. (appears to be late 1940s to mid 50s)

But what really caught my eye was the older property next door (far left in the above photo).

this one

detail

You see a bit more of it in this aerial.

Notice how close Whipple Grove Bldg#1 was built to the damn property line.

We're talking really, really close.

I would have been furious!!!

The next-door residence was built in 1922 and is virtually impossible to see from the street due to the overgrowth of trees and shrubs.

gsv

Sadly, the three towering conifers out front are in various stages of dying.

A peek thru the trees from Whipple street.

A closer look from the air / diagonal stone pathway, rounded front steps, etc

Despite this being the only entrance (there is no alley), the gate has been overgrown with vines from around 2007 to present day.*

gsv

* most of the vines have recently been cleared from the gate (but 'No Trespassing' signs remain)

most recent / 2017

gsv / detail

When I googled "10953 Whipple Street" there wasn't much information. (except for the build date...noted earlier in the post)

As I read thru the hits I noticed one mentioned 'Anita King School of Ballet' at the 10953 address. (say what!?!?)

so I googled "Anita King School of Ballet"

here's what came up

google

But none of these hits have any details, reviews or information.

& if you're wondering; Anita King was an early silent film star and stunt driver most famous for being the first woman to drive alone across the United States.

LHM

as a stunt driver

WTSM

and finally, all dolled up as a movie actress.

silenceisgolden

As far as I can tell, Ms. King didn't have a dance background. In fact it was quite the opposite;
she excelled at doing masculine things (hence the car journey and stunts) and was said to be a nonstop smoker. -bad for a dancer
(supposedly her heavy smoking habit injured her voice) -some say that's the reason she didn't make it in the 'talkies'.

Could the 'Anita King Ballet School' be some sort of obscure joke?

could it be an entirely different Anita King?

....I'm flummoxed I tell you, flummoxed

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Nov 28, 2017 at 6:51 PM.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 6:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDiego View Post
That's downtown San Diego, Broadway near 5th, overlooking Horton Plaza. Wonderful photos.

You are, of course, correct. Among other things, the fountain was probably a dead giveaway. FWIW, note the broadside advertisement for Walker's Department Store ( image no. 2). LA had one with "Bargains Always" at 515 S Broadway. Besides, finding any shot of the every-elusive WigWag in the act of trainspotting makes jumping to the wrong conclusion, easy.

Note Walkers to the right, sidewalk clock to the left.
https://jhgrahambooks.files.wordpres...ment_store.jpg

It's easy to get sidetracked and loose sight of your destination.

https://jhgrahambooks.files.wordpres...9/catalina.jpg

Pershing Square Fountain
https://jhgrahambooks.files.wordpres...os_angeles.jpg

Last edited by BifRayRock; Nov 28, 2017 at 2:46 PM.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 6:48 AM

LIFE's archives do not offer much in the way of accompanying text. These images are from an unpublished article featuring the meowing's of a seeing eye cat. It appear the woman pictured and her service cat are in LA County, circa 1947. Per FW, the images are from Hermosa Beach.

http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/7e90172a0eb7ce05_large

http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/19175f01ba522882_large

http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/49703e92ec7277dd_large

http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/a031483d48a025d7_large

http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/e84635885122c368_large

http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/ca51df8d95b55837_large

Last edited by BifRayRock; Nov 28, 2017 at 2:48 PM.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 7:07 AM

No, it's 10th and Bayview in Hermosa Beach. The white two-story building with the brown garage doors
behind the stop sign in the July 2016 GSV at the northwest corner of 10th and Manhattan is visible in
the first two photos in the post above.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 7:25 AM

How did the term "dingbats" for those mid-century apt. buildings come about? Was it mentioned or linked?

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 7:34 AM

Some of you know that I've been searching for a color photo of this mural in the NBC Radio Building to no avail. So far. I have to say so far.

A little lament: Was looking at a website with photos titled "The 64 Best Depression Era Art Deco Murals."
ALL of them...ALL OF THEM, I say, were in color. Except this one.

...sigh...

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
How did the term "dingbats" for those mid-century apt. buildings come about? Was it mentioned or linked?

My assumption is that it came from printing-- The buildings, being plain, were decorated with small pieces to add a little interest-- named after the small pieces of ornamental type a printer or type composer might use:

Pinterest

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 1:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristolian View Post
An interesting and noirish tidbit from the Poseidon's Underworld review is this about Tom Gilson and Saundra Edwards who met while filming "The Crowded Sky". I believe Edwards is the very attractive brunette flight attendant in the photo above.

"He met (and soon married) Saundra Edwards during the filming of this movie. She is the brunette stewardess and was a burgeoning starlet in the wake of a 1957 Playboy spread. Only two years later, after he had beaten her one too many times and nearly harmed their baby, she fled to her sister’s house where he called and threatened her and then tried to break in and, potentially, kill her. She grabbed a shotgun that her brother-in-law had given her to “scare him” with and it went off, blowing a hole in him. Gilson died and, unfortunately for her, so did Edwards’ career, though the incident was ruled justifiable homicide."

playboy.com

Sandra or Saundra?

The high-falutin' text accompanying the picture--typical Playboy:

INVITATION TO THE DANCE a budding ballerina does a turn as a Playmate

The Roman orator, Cicero, once declared that nobody in his senses would think twice of dancing, and his fellow Roman, Terence, said dancers “seem to have more brains in their feet than in their heads.” As a result of this lumpy logic, look what happened to Rome. We thumb our unRoman nose at those two and side with Havelock Ellis. Quoth he: “Dancing is the loftiest, the most moving, the most beautiful of the arts … it is life itself.” And we think Sandra Edwards, our Miss March, would go along with that, too. Though a scant 18 years of age, she has studied art and modern dancing and is currently a soaring ballet pupil. Sandra dotes on non-fiction and has a deep-down, locked-in appreciation for just about all sorts of music. Sandra’s ambition is to be tapped for membership in – and eventually to become prima ballerina of – a crack ballet group like Sadler’s Wells. Margot Fonteyn is her model and her idol. A well-rounded miss, say we with absolutely no double meaning in our mind; a young lady who, disproving testy old Terence and sour old Cicero, is indeed in her senses and eminently endowed at both ends of her charming anatomy.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge View Post

No, it's 10th and Bayview in Hermosa Beach. The white two-story building with the brown garage doors behind the stop sign in the July 2016 GSV at the northwest corner of 10th and Manhattan is visible in the first two photos in the post above.

Thanks. Hard to believe the area was once so underdeveloped that an ocean view, even for single-story homes, was probably taken for granted. I suspected Hermosa or Manhattan Beach due to street names. but inexplicably typed Huntington. "Wipeout."
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...out_single.jpg

It might be interesting to know more about the primary subjects of the story. How long had the woman been presumably living on her own in Hermosa and how long she remained there.

Quote:
We can only imagine the reasons why Carolyn Swanson forewent the traditional seeing-eye dog in favor of a Persian cat named Baby. Perhaps she was allergic, or afraid, or simply too attached to Baby to consider a canine replacement. Whatever the reason, LIFE Magazine dispatched a photographer to capture their special relationship in 1947, creating a series of photographs that never appeared in the magazine’s pages.

Swanson kept the white cat on a tight leash, lest a squirrel send him running. Baby, in turn, guided her over thresholds and across streets. And his service did not go unrecognized. A clipping from a local newspaper announced that Baby was awarded a medal “for faithful devotion to his blind mistress.” Though the cat posed stoically with his medallion, he seemed to favor a more humble reward: a heaping plate of cat food.http://time.com/3758912/seeing-eye-cat/

http://www.gstatic.com/hostedimg/b473ab81376fdd24_large

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post

Googie-related?

This Wiki entry supports GW's explanation. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dingbat_(building)

Quote:
The first textual reference to the term "dingbat" was made by Reyner Banham in Los Angeles: The Architecture of Four Ecologies (1971). He credits the coining to architect Francis Ventre and describes them:

...[Dingbats] are normally a two-story walk-up apartment-block developed back over the full depth of the site, built of wood and stuccoed over. These are the materials that Rudolf Schindler and others used to build the first modern architecture in Los Angeles, and the dingbat, left to its own devices, often exhibits the basic characteristics of a primitive modern architecture. Round the back, away from the public gaze, they display simple rectangular forms and flush smooth surfaces, skinny steel columns and simple boxed balconies, and extensive overhangs to shelter four or five cars...[4]

While the word is sometimes said to reference dingbat in the sense of a "general term of disparagement",[5] dingbat refers to the stylistic star-shaped decorations (reminiscent of typographic dingbats) that often garnish the stucco façades.[6][7][8] These flourishes and other ornamental elements reflect the contemporary but more complex Googie architecture. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dingbat_(building)

Last edited by BifRayRock; Nov 28, 2017 at 3:56 PM.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 3:57 PM

Anita King was born Anna Ida Karoline Keppen in Indiana in 1884. She was the daughter of Prussian immigrants Carl and Mathilde Koeppen. She lived in La Porte, Indiana until 1913 when she apparently came west and was in the silent film "The Man From Home". In 1915 she is listed as a member of the Jesse Lasky Company. 1916 is the date of the "car plunge" shown in the photos. There were questions in the papers in 1918 as to whether she was married or not. Ms. King was in the first feature-length movie, "The Straw Man" which was directed by Cecil B. De Mille.

She then married a Col. James McKnight in 1919. In November of that year, there is a newspaper article which indicates that she was going to establish a day nursery for poor children in Los Angeles. It was noted at that time that she was retired from the movie business.

In 1920 a newspaper article said that she and her husband were moving into their house on Hobart Blvd.

At some point thereafter she apparently divorced McKnight and married a man called Tom McKenna. There is another article, describing her home being robbed, in February of 1942, which indicates that she was the owner of a "well known" racing stable. By the time of the robbery she was living on Benedict Canyon Drive in Beverly Hills. Her husband, a steel executive, died a few days after the robbery.

She died on June 10, 1963 in Hollywood and is buried in Forest Lawn, Glendale.

And there you have more than you ever wanted to know about Anita King

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 5:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:
My assumption is that it came from printing-- The buildings, being plain, were decorated with small pieces to add a little interest-- named after the small pieces of ornamental type a printer or type composer might use:

Pinterest
The old fashioned hot lead printers had thousands of these slugs.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...cce127bc0e.jpg

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 6:12 PM

Thanks for the dingbat information, all!

(Now how about a color photo of the NBC mural?) Heh!

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BifRayRock View Post

Googie-related?

This Wiki entry supports GW's explanation. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dingbat_(building)

The earliest use is here, in Banham's AoFE.

Now, I had heard or read—a perhaps apocryphal story—that Banham and Ventre were driving around (à la Loves LA, one supposes) and Ventre did a spit-take at, say, the Lido Capri and exclaimed "My god that's dingbat architecture." I said as much in this post (about the killing here) and nobody contradicted me, so, it must be true.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 11:05 PM

William Bayly residence @ 10 Chester Place

1900 LA City Directory:

fold3.com

1950 Sanborn Map, with north at the top:

ProQuest via LAPL

10 Chester Place, November 2010. You can see a tiny bit of the octagonal Garden House behind the left edge of the residence:

Kansas Sebastian @ flickr

Here's a good look at the Garden House:

And here's one more view of the front:

For a contemporary aerial view of 10 Chester Place, click here.

1907 Sanborn Map:

ProQuest via LAPL

10 Chester Place, c. 1902, with the Garden House apparently under construction at left. I've read elsewhere that
Theodore Eisen was the architect for this house; I don't know who should be credited:

The Inland Architect and News Record, Feb 1903 Vol 41 No 1 @ Hathitrust

More information on 10 Chester Place:

Chester Place Historic District Contributor

This building includes “[f]eatures associated with the Shingle style … in this large, 2-1/2 story house.
In the large, front-facing (west) gable a squared Palladian vent is set over a third story balcony. The
balcony is recessed behind a slightly pointed archway, and has a shingled railing with square cutouts.

Shingles face the gable, which is jettied on brackets over the second story, and are laid in curving
courses around the balcony. Sawtooth edged shingles outline the gable. The shingle siding of the
upper story contrasts with the rusticated stone of the lower story and the chimney. In the porch
stretching across the north section of the front façade, stone piers, wood brackets and a lattice
railing define the space onto which a handsome wood door opens.

The porch continues over the driveway to become a porte cochere. Dentils and leaded glass distinguish
the house, which also features segmented and squared bays and a tower like bay on the rear (east)
elevation. Overlap siding is used on the lower story on the sides and rear. A lamppost illuminates the
front of the house which is located within the landscaped grounds of Chester Place.”

The William Bayly Residence retains integrity of location, design, materials, workmanship, feeling, and
association. Character-defining features of the building exterior include the large, front-facing (west)
gable with a squared Palladian vent set over a third story balcony, shingled siding, brackets, dormer,
Palladian window with a pointed arch, rusticated stone on the lower story and the chimney, porch,
porte cochere, and a tower like bay on the rear (east) elevation. The building is considered to be a
contributor to the historic district.

Historic Resources Group, 2009 (see p. 24) @ LA City Planning Department

Last edited by Flyingwedge; Mar 24, 2019 at 7:46 PM. Reason: stupid photobucket and its "~original" extension

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos