HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 21, 2022, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unknown Poster View Post
A friend of mine who owns a hotel in the area heard us talking about the U of M development and said, "with our luck, they'll build a hotel." I get his drift. His place is packed for any events at IGF.
For what it's worth the southern area of the city seems relatively underserved with respect to hotels. Pretty well all of the hotels in the south end are refreshed early 70s properties... the CanadInns (former Ramada), the Four Points, and then it's downhill from those not so lofty heights to the Econo Lodge and the Queen Bee and the Comfort Inn.

Considering how busy the area is between the university, stadium and SmartPark it seems to me that it could easily handle one new hotel.

I guess there are two new hotels in that general vicinity, but they are more to the southwest in the Seasons of Tuxedo development... a bit of a hike away from the U of M.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2022, 4:29 PM

^Council also approved a hotel at Bridgwater Centre a few months ago.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2022, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebasketballgeek View Post
^Council also approved a hotel at Bridgwater Centre a few months ago.
Interesting, do you know any details?

Between a hotel there and whatever is going up near Pembina Highway that The Unknown Poster mentioned and I think that neck of the woods should be well covered for hotels.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2022, 4:34 PM
What could go wrong?

There is a plan for a hotel on the UofM property in the vicinity of the stadium. I believe the UofM put out an RFP for one a couple of years ago but was likely derailed by the onset of the pandemic.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jun 21, 2022, 4:50 PM

^ Cool, that could potentially enhance the stadium vicinity. Although knowing how the U of M handles development on its campus, it might not.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2022, 7:59 PM

There might be a hotel next to IGF in 20-30 years?

Exciting!!!!!

Old Posted Jun 21, 2022, 8:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
There might be a hotel next to IGF in 20-30 years?

Exciting!!!!!
Hotel's on U campuses make a lot of sense. Revenue for the institution from unused land and an amenity for what is really a small city.

U of S has a new hotel next to its football stadium and hockey Arena.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2022, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Hotel's on U campuses make a lot of sense. Revenue for the institution from unused land and an amenity for what is really a small city.

When I was in Saskatoon last month I took a stroll around the new arena and the stadium and I saw that hotel. It's pretty nice, it towers over the football field.

For those who haven't seen it, it's in the upper left corner of this photo:

Old Posted Jun 21, 2022, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
When I was in Saskatoon last month I took a stroll around the new arena and the stadium and I saw that hotel. It's pretty nice, it towers over the football field.

For those who haven't seen it, it's in the upper left corner of this photo:

Something like that would be ideal for the U of M.

Off topic, but if the Saskatoon CPL team will be playing at that stadium next year I think they would have to add some temporary turf over the track as the dimensions of a soccer field are about 30 feet wider than a Canadian football field. It looks like the turf ends just outside the sideline boundaries.

Then again, maybe the CSL will just allow them to use a slightly smaller than regulation field.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2022, 12:43 PM

Quote:
For what it's worth the southern area of the city seems relatively underserved with respect to hotels. Pretty well all of the hotels in the south end are refreshed early 70s properties... the CanadInns (former Ramada), the Four Points, and then it's downhill from those not so lofty heights to the Econo Lodge and the Queen Bee and the Comfort Inn.

Considering how busy the area is between the university, stadium and SmartPark it seems to me that it could easily handle one new hotel.

I guess there are two new hotels in that general vicinity, but they are more to the southwest in the Seasons of Tuxedo development... a bit of a hike away from the U of M.
The Four Points is nice. Their reno in 2008/2009 more or less gutted the existing building and then expanded. The old Palladium replaced by a great banquet facility lol Some more renos coming soon.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2022, 1:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post

Another major use for the hotel would be to service all of the rural families that come in to the city for events using the fieldhouse and Max Bell (volleyball, basketball, hockey, gymnastics, etc.)

Old Posted Jun 22, 2022, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg Grump View Post
Another major use for the hotel would be to service all of the rural families that come in to the city for events using the fieldhouse and Max Bell (volleyball, basketball, hockey, gymnastics, etc.)
I could imagine a hotel just north of the stadium transit station, with an additional bridge to span over the bus loop. Right on the stadium site, across the street from U of M's athletic facilities and a short walk from the rest of Campus, while walking out to essentially the best transit the city has to offer.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2022, 3:49 PM

I would guess another possible hotel location at IG Field would be on the parking lot immediately to the west of the stadium as in more or less an addition to the stadium.

It is interesting to hear U of M put out at RFP for a hotel when David Asper has the rights to develop a hotel there. So wouldn't it be Asper that would be putting out the RFP and not the U of M?

Old Posted Jun 22, 2022, 4:29 PM
What could go wrong?

I will try to look it up, it was a couple of years ago. I can’t remember if it went out or was proposed to come out but never did with the onset of the pandemic. It definitely want by David Asper or a private company.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jun 22, 2022, 4:37 PM

If the plan gets resurrected, I think it would be perfect for the corner of Chancellor Matheson and University. SW side. It would help define the street wall around that intersection. Plus it's a convenient location for people at the stadium or the U of M, and it's close to Pembina as well as the transit corridor.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2022, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Interesting, do you know any details?
Sorry for late response but here is a description of the project and it's more of an Airbnb type of service then a traditional hotel with residential units as well.

Quote:
A very unique development will soon be constructed in Bridgewater Center. A three-story mixed-use, commercial, apartment and hotel complex will be built on the east side of Centre Street, between Jacob’s Creek Road and Park East Drive. The ground floor will host up to six commercial units, the second story will be home to 43 hotel rooms with 49 residential dwelling units on the third story. Roughly 80 to 90 per cent of the apartments and hotel rooms will be 500 sq. ft..

The hotel component differs from a short-term rental model, such as an Airbnb, in that the building will comply with accommodation tax and regulations surrounding parking and traffic. The hotel won’t have its own restaurant and lounge, instead guest will access and support existing local restaurants and shopping locations in the commercial areas of Bridgwater Center. Through a mobile app, guests will be able book their suite online, access the building and access their suite. A total of 151 parking stalls will be constructed, 37 more than the by law requires.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2022, 4:51 PM

Thank you... that picture jogged my memory, now I remember seeing it here before.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan