HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 6:20 AM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post

US 700'+ skyscrapers built before 2000: 93

NYC - 28 (includes 3 towers that have since been destroyed/demolished)
Chicago - 12
Houston - 10
Los Angeles - 8
Atlanta - 5
Dallas - 5
Seattle - 4
Philadelphia - 4
Minneapolis - 3
Cleveland - 2
San Francisco - 2
Pittsburgh - 2
Boston - 2
Denver - 2
Charlotte - 1
Miami - 1
Detroit - 1
Indianapolis - 1
Jersey City - 0
Atlantic City - 0
Austin - 0
Oklahoma City - 0
Mobile - 0

US 700'+ skyscrapers built since 2000: 97

NYC - 55
Chicago - 16
Miami - 6
Jersey City - 4
Philadelphia - 3
San Francisco - 3
Houston - 2
Los Angeles - 1
Seattle - 1
Boston - 1
Charlotte - 1
Austin - 1
Oklahoma City - 1
Mobile - 1
Atlantic City - 1
Atlanta - 0
Dallas - 0
Minneapolis - 0
Cleveland - 0
Pittsburgh - 0
Denver - 0
Indianapolis - 0
Detroit - 0

data source: CTBUH

Revisiting these numbers, comparing pre-2000 to post-2000, NYC has gone absolutely bonkers, and Chicago is solidly hanging in the #2 spot, adding even more 700 footers upon its already impressive collection.

But after those two.......

On the pre-2000 list, the next 5 cities (Houston, LA, Atlanta, Dallas, and Seattle) combined to build 32 towers over 700' in the 25 years between 1971 and 1996, but in the 25 years since then, those same 5 cities have only combined to construct 4 such towers (2 in Houston, 1 in LA, and 1in Seattle).

that's the difference. All those 700 footers that used to be built around the nation, they're now all happening in new York.

Last edited by Steely Dan; Sep 5, 2020 at 1:46 PM.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 6:41 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Those damn office parks with their millions upon millions of square feet that could be in tower form.

Although with some of those cities, residential could easily swing those numbers upwards if they dive into that functionality. I'd wager a good portion of towers in that range or greater for those cities are office or mixed used (some hotel portion + office).

I'd like to see more residential functionality (Miami for example, builds those tall residential like weeds).

I despise office parks. I had a client the other day based in one of them, out in Edison NJ, and while it was nice inside the complex, it just sucks outside. Parking lots galore.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Revisiting these numbers, comparing pre-2000 to post-2000, NYC has gone absolutely bonkers, and Chicago is solidly hanging in the #2 spot, adding even more 700 footers upon its already impressive collection.

But after those two.......

On the pre-2000 list, the next 5 cities (Houston, LA, Atlanta, Dallas, and Seattle) combined to build 32 towers over 700' in the 25 years between 1971 and 1996, but in the 25 years since then, those same 5 cities have only combined to construct 4 such towers (2 in Houston, 1 in LA, and 1in Seattle).

that's the difference. All those 700 footers that used to be built around the nation, they're now all happening in new York.
We have a bunch of proposals for 700 for plus in downtown LA now, including one under construction.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 8:05 PM

Even with the covid, I think some of those proposals will go through. They're mostly residential, which the city will still desperately need.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 8:17 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
We have a bunch of proposals for 700 for plus in downtown LA now, including one under construction.
I was going off the CTBUH database, which doesn't have any towers over 700' listed as U/C for LA.

But they do list 960 W 7th as being U/C, and they have it as being 695' tall, which is close enough.

That's the problem with arbitrary cut-offs.....

But yeah, lots of very exciting proposals for big towers in LA. Let's hope some of those start popping one of these years to cement LA being back for real in the skyline construction game. Wilshire Grand was a great start!

Old Posted Sep 5, 2020, 9:19 PM

You can rule out Dallas due to airport proximity as well. Unless it were to happen outside downtown.

https://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/v...0967a8c16cbdb8

Old Posted Sep 6, 2020, 1:14 AM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Those damn office parks with their millions upon millions of square feet that could be in tower form.

Although with some of those cities, residential could easily swing those numbers upwards if they dive into that functionality. I'd wager a good portion of towers in that range or greater for those cities are office or mixed used (some hotel portion + office).

I'd like to see more residential functionality (Miami for example, builds those tall residential like weeds).

I despise office parks. I had a client the other day based in one of them, out in Edison NJ, and while it was nice inside the complex, it just sucks outside. Parking lots galore.
Office Parks are the worst. Basically unservable with public transit. Have to get in a car to grab lunch, and SO MUCH TRAFFIC to get to them.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2020, 5:09 AM

Quote:
I was going off the CTBUH database, which doesn't have any towers over 700' listed as U/C for LA.

But they do list 960 W 7th as being U/C, and they have it as being 695' tall, which is close enough.

That's the problem with arbitrary cut-offs.....

But yeah, lots of very exciting proposals for big towers in LA. Let's hope some of those start popping one of these years to cement LA being back for real in the skyline construction game. Wilshire Grand was a great start!
Hmm, I guess it might be 695 feet... It's a 64 story residential tower so that may make sense

Old Posted Sep 6, 2020, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
Seattle would never allow it. Nor would the FAA in the most likely area, where a 1,000' tower is running into limits.
I played around with it in my head, and I think that the best place for a supertall in the Seattle skyline would be right behind the new Rainier Square development in the middle of the skyline.

Do you know what the height limits are in this part of downtown Seattle?

Last edited by SFBruin; Sep 6, 2020 at 5:48 PM. Reason: Word choice.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2020, 6:56 PM
Never Dell

Unfortunately, you can't go above 605' north of Union Street, which is along the left side of Rainier Square and Two Union.

Here's a zoning map. The areas south of Union show "U" in their designations, which means commercial space is subject to floor area ratio (FAR) limits (which are pretty restrictive) but you can go as tall as the FAA guidance allows. To get very tall, practically, you need residential, which isn't subject to FAR. The rest of the maps.

North of Union you see a lot of areas where commercial has one limit and residential has another, for example "DOC-2 500/300-550." This means residential buildings can have habitable floors up to 550', not counting the extra 10% for architecture, mechanical systems, and amenity space. Commercial towers can be 500' plus a little room for architecture and mechanical. The smaller figure is if you don't go for bonuses, or something like that.

Likewise, a lot of areas allow residential to 440'+44'. Six of those are underway. Much of this decade's wave was in those areas when it was zoned 400'+40', with the first under the new height starting in May 2019.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions