HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 23, 2020, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post

Ugh. You don't seem to ever get it. And you don't like talking about how much the people hate the cold in your state, but you want to bring up a couple of weeks of above average temps here. It's a very rational opinion.

Wildfires aren't affecting 20 million people at the moment, and that's doulble your states population. Get real. The cold however, is every SINGLE DAY FOR MONTHS AND EVERY SINGLE PERSON HAS TO PUT UP WITH IT. And your humidity in the summer is no joke either. It's more humid here than usual, and I'm reminded how so many people have to PUT UP WITH this all summer.

You're making a very strange comparison because you think it's in your favor. It's not.
you cant die from plowing snow, you can die putting out fires.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2020, 4:12 PM

Eh, you're wrong. It's ok. I've been in midwest summers and winters and it's every single year. But keep talking about a couple of weeks!

Old Posted Aug 23, 2020, 4:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubu View Post
you cant die from plowing snow, you can die putting out fires.
Uhh, what? Is this something regular people do in either??

Again, it's not about the snow. It's about the nail biting cold that people hate. People kind of enjoy snow. It's the cold, and it's every day.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2020, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Uhh, what? Is this something regular people do in either??

Again, it's not about the snow. It's about the nail biting cold that people hate. People kind of enjoy snow. It's the cold, and it's every day.
its more natural to shovel snow, im not looking at how it effects everyone. the few people though.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2020, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubu View Post
its more natural to shovel snow, im not looking at how it effects everyone. the few people though.

Yea, let's discuss a few people shoveling snow instead of how millions of people hate dealing with the cold and humidity for months every single year.
What do you think matters more?

And for the last time, it's not the snow. It's the cold. I dreaded the cold in the midwest.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2020, 4:25 PM
Pay it Forward

Quote:
I wouldn't be as annoyed but he's been posting these gloom and doom things for awhile now. I didn't like NOVA, but I wouldn't do this kind of thing before I left. I just left. People who leave California like to announce to the world they're leaving for some place "better". It's honestly strange behavior. I've seen NYers do this as well, usually if they're moving to the south or something.
The OP is the biggest anti-CA poster on C-D. He creates countless threads badmouthing the state-yawns.

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Aug 23, 2020, 4:31 PM

Yea, I've noticed. Hopefully he finds joy in his new state.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2020, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Eh, you're wrong. It's ok. I've been in midwest summers and winters and it's every single year. But keep talking about a couple of weeks!
You're also a flat out liar because the fires do impact millions of people in major cites. The Bay Area had worse air quality than Beijing when the fires hit a year or so ago.

Keep trying to minimalize the impacts of disaster that your fellow Californians are suffering from right now.

BTW weather here has been *chef's kiss* absolute perfection lately and I can't wait for the crisp fall air and all the colors to happen soon!

Old Posted Aug 23, 2020, 5:15 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

i imagine that if you live in the LA basin your experience isn’t going to be the same as say santa rosa...california is still a big state...

Old Posted Aug 23, 2020, 5:28 PM

likewise the “midwest” is large...60 million people and people eating christmas lunch on the patio and playing in snow alike...

Old Posted Aug 23, 2020, 5:37 PM
E pluribus unum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Dude what are you talking about ahwatukee could be anywhere in Southern California lol
I thought that's what I implied?

I really can't stress enough how naive and stupid I was, and still am.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2020, 5:43 PM
E pluribus unum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
i imagine that if you live in the LA basin your experience isn’t going to be the same as say santa rosa...california is still a big state...
Yeah, that's the thing I don't think outsiders realize. I sure as hell didn't, but again (I can't stress this enough) I was a complete and utter shithead at 18 years old and for the majority of my 20s. Still am, just less overtly.

There's variations even across Southern California. The built environment might look similar, but someone in Orange County isn't going to have the same "SoCal experience" as someone in the Inland Empire, the Valley or Ventura County.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2020, 5:44 PM

The California Dream ends every week, for someone. Good luck to you OP.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2020, 6:05 PM
你的媽媽

I think earthquakes are still the biggest threat to California, not wildfires, although these may become more frequent over time due to climate change, leading to unstable weather and drought. Urban fires overall are extremely rare. I believe the last one was in the Oakland hills in 1991, nearly 30 years ago. In fact, the current fires aren't even in the major urban areas. They're in the local surrounding mountains. It is the fire from these mountains that are spreading smoke over the urban areas.

It's also a misconception that this is an annual occurrence. The vast majority of the wildfires occur in rural areas, and are actually vital for forest ecology, renewing the environment and wildlife. It may sound counterintuitive but frequent fires are a good thing, while infrequent fires lead to an unnatural build up of fuel. In more recent years, fires have unfortunately actually reached and burned down several rural towns, but perhaps these towns should not have been built there in the first place. California, and many western states, have always had wildfires, and will continue to do so, as it is part of its natural ecology.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2020, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
I think earthquakes are still the biggest threat to California, not wildfires, although these may become more frequent over time due to climate change, leading to unstable weather and drought. Urban fires overall are extremely rare. I believe the last one was in the Oakland hills in 1991, nearly 30 years ago. In fact, the current fires aren't even in the major urban areas. They're in the local surrounding mountains. It is the fire from these mountains that are spreading smoke over the urban areas.

It's also a misconception that this is an annual occurrence. The vast majority of the wildfires occur in rural areas, and are actually vital for forest ecology, renewing the environment and wildlife. It may sound counterintuitive but frequent fires are a good thing, while
infrequent fires lead to an unnatural build up of fuel. In more recent years, fires have unfortunately actually reached and burned down several rural towns, but perhaps these towns should not have been built there in the first place. California, and many western states, have always had wildfires, and will continue to do so, as it is part of its natural ecology.
the part of the midwest i live in, technically in the toe of the ozark uplift, is similarly a fire-land ecology, once having been oak savanna and shortleaf pine (which is also very fire oriented). it’s just that the fuel buildup isn’t usually as dangerous. there still are large fires occasionally that occlude the sun and impact air quality but the human footprint in these areas are nil. doesnt make national news either.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2020, 6:17 PM

Some plants in California can't reproduce without wildfires.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2020, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
Some plants in California can't reproduce without wildfires.
yeah i mean over here in the ozarks shortleaf pine has been largely extirpated due to lack of fire, completely altering the ecology.

i actually have planted a small shortleaf pine grove in my backyard...the remaining tracts left in the wild are spectacular. they sort of feel like the sierra foothills or the dry side of the cascades.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2020, 6:36 PM

If you're ever in a burn area is SoCal, look out for the poodle dog bush. That stuff is a thousand times worse than poison oak. It smells great though. Smells like the dankest, skunkiest weed you've ever had.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2020, 7:15 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Well, sure. But that's true for everywhere.
NYC might be beloved on these kinds of forums, but you see a good mix in real life or social media about it. Not every one cares how urban it is.

The thing is, NYC and California still have enough people who think it's cool and I don't think that's ever gone away. The social media in the last 10 years as put California in the spotlight, if you pay attention. I don't see this going away. The young people today don't care what California's reputation was in the 1970s. They do see all the social media stuff every day, however.
And I'd argue that's because it was due to reputations these areas fostered decades ago and only reinforced themselves over the years. My impression of CA today isn't that far off of how I imagined it as a kid in the 80's. NYC and CA are also the media centers so as long as that's the case, these two will always have a pull.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2020, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
You're also a flat out liar because the fires do impact millions of people in major cites. The Bay Area had worse air quality than Beijing when the fires hit a year or so ago.

Keep trying to minimalize the impacts of disaster that your fellow Californians are suffering from right now.

BTW weather here has been *chef's kiss* absolute perfection lately and I can't wait for the crisp fall air and all the colors to happen soon!
Yea, you should get some better reading comprehension before you call someone a liar. I said it's not affecting SOCAL at the moment. There are fires in the remote wilderness, but thats it.

You minizme your winters ALL THE TIME. It's always hilarious too. And then you make these comments about California.
Midwest summers have humidity. I've been in 10. The festivals are fun, the heat is not.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions