HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Aug 28, 2020, 12:10 AM

NYC census 2020

Despite the Covid 19, pretty good news about the NYC census 2020: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/where...110014948.html

Old Posted Aug 29, 2020, 10:43 PM

What does mean that in the 2010 Census self-response rate in New York was 64.0%? In 2010 the official NYC population was 8,175,133. Does mean that the REAL population of NYC was 12,773,645? Thanks for a possible explanation.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2020, 10:55 PM

The state has been pushing the census HARD. Several of my neighbors have volunteered for the first time because I think they are inspired by the ads showing on TV here. Having Cardi B as a spokesperson is a bold choice but she’s clearly been effective.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2020, 11:31 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchester united View Post
What does mean that in the 2010 Census self-response rate in New York was 64.0%? In 2010 the official NYC population was 8,175,133. Does mean that the REAL population of NYC was 12,773,645? Thanks for a possible explanation.
If you count the tourists in August and December (precovid), yes.

I really hope NYC gets an accurate Census figure. The city always gets screwed.

Speaking of Cardi B, hopefully folks fill out the Census instead of watching that WAP video, although I understand if they lose track of time, perfectly understandable.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2020, 1:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
If you count the tourists in August and December (precovid), yes.

I really hope NYC gets an accurate Census figure. The city always gets screwed.

Speaking of Cardi B, hopefully folks fill out the Census instead of watching that WAP video, although I understand if they lose track of time, perfectly understandable.
Has therefore NYC almost 5 million of ghost inhabitants? It seems too strange....And if this year, paradoxically, all the inhabitants (100%) completed the questionnaire, NYC should gain almost 5 million of inhabitants?

Old Posted Aug 30, 2020, 3:37 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

They use estimation methodologies so you don't need 100% turnout, which is the case for almost every city and town. They also use a variety of other sources to look at trends, and to gather data. For example, births vs deaths or net domestic migration.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2020, 1:34 PM

For political reasons, the Census Bureau is not allowed to use estimation methodologies for the decimal census. If a person doesn't respond to the questioner, that's why enumerators will knock on the doors of those are responsive.

The problem is the census isn't aware of every dwelling in the country. Newly constructed buildings and immigrant communities are frequently missed. There is a segment of the population that will never receive a questioner because the census ins't aware that people live there. Also, immigrant communities are cautious of the enumerators and will decline to respond, especially in this political environment.

I love debating the above with suburbanites who have never had to count a community like Flushing, NY. Tons of informal dwellings that do not receive US Mail. Tons of immigrants that actively avoid interactions with the government.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2020, 2:46 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

i have seen a lot of census takers knocking on doors around our neighborhood in the west village this summer. they’re trying.

of course this is a neighborhood where the rich have left the city for the hamptons type of place and the young people have abandoned the city, so you have to wonder about the results.

also, at least many or most people can do the census online. its very simple and only takes moments to complete.

i think overall the usa is heading toward a massive undercount.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2020, 2:45 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

They should use city estimates. There needs to be a better way of counting folks. NYC went from 8.6 million down to 8.4/8.3 million. At one point, was suppose to be 9 million by 2020. Major errors are being made.

But one thing is for sure, the city is under counted greatly. There is a great deal of overcrowding, especially with units. A lot of illegal units are out there, and people take good care to keep them secret.

Tax data might be a better way of counting folks.

I'm more inclined to think the census estimates that don't fall on the beginning of the decade (Decennial) are more accurate.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2020, 2:27 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Maybe they should throw in free rent.

= = = = = =

NYC Launches Census Contests to Improve Participation Due to Lagging Response Rates

Quote:
New York City officials announced Thursday that NYC Census 2020 has launched a number of competitions to mobilize participation so that its residents "get their fair share" after the city has seen itself lagging in census response rates.

Officials announced “NYC Counts” and the hyperlocal “Census Subway Series” census contests to mobilize New Yorkers to self-respond to the census before the Sept. 30 deadline. To date, the city has a response rate of 56.2 percent compared to national rate of 64 percent.

"RIght now the New York City response rate is 56.2 percent. So we are a little over half-way there," Mayor Bill de Blasio said Thursday during his daily coronavirus briefing. "Now, I want to be clear, imagine for a moment this was the end of the process today and we were only at 56.2 percent. Well, that would suggest we get half the representation we deserve in Washington. That would suggest we get half the funding we deserve for education, transportation, for affordable housing from Washington. I don’t think there is any New Yorker who wants half a loaf and wants to lose our fair share. So let’s be clear, we have work to do. And everyone is a part of it."

He urged all New Yorkers to complete the census and to engage census personnel if they come knocking at your door.

"Our census workers are going out to apartments building all over the city and we are hearing some reports that they are being denied access and that is not appropriate and that is not what we are going to allow in this city….if someone doesn’t allow our census personnel in, that means we aren’t going to get our fair share of funding or representation. That’s absolutely unacceptable," de Blasio said.

In order to entice more individuals to participate, de Blasio and the city's Census 2020 Field Director Kathleen Daniel announced a number of competitions."

Starting Thursday, Daniel said, all New Yorkers who filled out a census take part in "NYC Counts" for a chance to win a number of prizes including $1,000 Seamless gift cards (6 individuals will win this prize), annual memberships to MoMA + MoMA PS1 with a total value of $200 (25 individuals will win this prize) and $50 in Lyft credits and annual Citi Bike membership (100 individuals will win this prize).
=====================
https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...rates/2577170/

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions