HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 9:41 PM

[St. John's] Henry-Bell Condo Complex | 10- & 8-floors U/C | 1X25-30m Proposed

Henry Bell Developments Proposal - Henry Street - Duckworth Street (Marconi & Mirador).

The project will have a total of 90 units and a five-level parking garage which will have about 400 parking stalls.
It includes the renovation and expansion of the former CBC-Capitol Theatre Building, and is expected to cost in excess of $33 million.

Source & Article: The Telegram, Courtesy of the City of St.John's - http://www.thetelegram.com/News/Loca...Size-matters/1
More Photos: http://www.thetelegram.com/News/Loca...Size-matters/1

Mix - 345-347 Duckworth Street, Redevelopment of former Newfoundland Telephone Building
The existing building will be redeveloped in a mixed use development. Three floors will be added to the east section, one floor and a new section on the west. The height will be 8 stories, about 25 meters from Duckworth, and 10 stories, about 30m, from McBrides Hill.

Source: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...pment-223.html

LUAR (Henry-Bell): http://www.stjohns.ca/pdfs/Land%20Us...evelopment.pdf

LUAR (NL Telephone):http://www.stjohns.ca/pdfs/AirPhotoS...neAnalysis.pdf

Last edited by statbass; May 16, 2012 at 1:10 PM. Reason: Added LUAR for NL Telephone building

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 2:27 AM

I really with the Mix wasn't the last development in the trio: that building needs to be redeveloped NOW. I'd almost wish it'd burn down right now, but if that were to happen, any new development on the site would be restricted to 4 floors.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 6:01 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
I really with the Mix wasn't the last development in the trio: that building needs to be redeveloped NOW. I'd almost wish it'd burn down right now, but if that were to happen, any new development on the site would be restricted to 4 floors.
I hope it doesn't burn down, at any rate it will really have to be gutted, and will look like all new in the end.

The star of The Sea is just across on Henry Street, it's almost a part of this too, [the Manga site says it will add another 100 units], although the LUAR states 54 units.

That should bring the total units in this area close to 250 if not more.

Mix - Rear View
Source: http://www.stjohns.ca/pdfs/Land%20Us...evelopment.pdf

Last edited by Architype; Mar 14, 2012 at 6:29 AM.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
I hope it doesn't burn down, at any rate it will really have to be gutted, and will look like all new in the end.

The star of The Sea is just across on Henry Street, it's almost a part of this too, [the Manga site says it will add another 100 units], although the LUAR states 54 units.

That should bring the total units in this area close to 250 if not more.]
There will be quite a bit of density in that area once these projects get developed. With the hotel/condo proposal at the old Crazy Horse site - I think this may end up being my favorite part of downtown

Note: I just added the rear view of the Mix building to the first post.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 5:01 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
If I had to pick one development in the city that I am most interested in, there's no doubt it's this one. That stretch of Duckworth is rather ugly.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayreonaut View Post
If I had to pick one development in the city that I am most interested in, there's no doubt it's this one. That stretch of Duckworth is rather ugly.
It's not just ugly it's quite sketchy to walk through.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2012, 2:23 AM

I was on the 7th floor of Atlantic Place today and the boardroom has a great view of the CBC development. The hole they've dug is absolutely monstrous.

I'm definitely most interested in the MIX development. Based on these drawings, it could be one of the most interesting developments in St. John's. This is a fairly complex development aesthetically, with the three separate sections. I just hope that they don't start cutting costs here and there until it's just another run of the mill development. Is there anything in place to keep companies from getting approval based on a certain proposal, only to make aesthetic changes later on?

I really think that developments such as this one, the Fortis Building, and the Job Street development are really setting a high standard for architecture in the city. Look how quickly the Garden Inn was shut down. It sends the message that if you're going to come to St. John's looking to build, you'd better come with a well-conceived plan.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2012, 3:45 AM

I don't know what the city can do after the fact but proposals are approved based on their designs, particularly in the heritage district.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 1:14 AM

This project currently seems stalled. Anyone know why? They dug a big hole and have an excavator there but haven't been on site in a month or more.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2012, 5:51 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trend CJ View Post
This project currently seems stalled. Anyone know why? They dug a big hole and have an excavator there but haven't been on site in a month or more.
I wouldn't expect things too fast; it's Newfoundland 2012, not New York 1931 where it took only 13½ months to build the Empire State Building. The planning process alone today seems to take several years. (I mean that in a joking way, not as a rebuff )

Last edited by Architype; Mar 17, 2012 at 7:46 AM.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2012, 2:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trend CJ View Post
There's not really a whole lot you can do during the winter: if you don't have things in the ground before everything freezes, work practically stops until spring. As for the old CBC building, everything's gutted inside the building, but the fire that was there may have set that back a little. I wouldn't worry at this point though, winter is usually a slow season for groundbreaking development.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2012, 9:07 PM

I'm under the impression that they've run into trouble with the excavation as it relates to the street above. I believe they are trying to figure out how to shore things up before continuing.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2012, 4:33 PM
Millennial Ascendancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayreonaut View Post
Truth. I've been waiting years for something to happen here. Every time I walk past it I get angry its taken so long. Thank god that SOMETHING is under way. I'd love to be working for Henry Bell on this project.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 8:13 PM

A bump for this thread. Does anyone know if anything has been done lately? Last I heard excavating for the parking garage and internal demo for the NL telephone building (aka Mix) was underway.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2012, 5:17 AM
ARTchitecture

oh wow thats huge! Didn't realize both of these developments were already UC! Holy crap!

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2012, 4:42 PM
EVDS MPlan Grad

I walked past yesterday (and, well, most days), but completely forgot to check anything out.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 8:25 PM

Old Posted Apr 22, 2012, 10:57 PM

It seems not much has been completed as of late. I guess they're still having issues with excavating the site. Hopefully we'll see some progress in the upcoming weeks.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2012, 12:31 AM

There's a drill rig on site now. I'm going to guess that's to anchor the piles that will shore up the excavation.

Old Posted May 1, 2012, 11:01 PM

Land Use Assessment Report for the Telephone Building!

http://www.stjohns.ca/pdfs/AirPhotoS...neAnalysis.pdf

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's