HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jun 24, 2008, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2I.F. View Post
How is the enrollment at the U. of I? Is there a limiting factor of why more students aren't currently at U. of I. compared to other colleges/universities? Realistically, what is the max amount of students U. of I. could have in Moscow?

Does Moscow rely mostly on Pullman for goods and services? If not, I'm a little confused why there would be so many more apartment complexes for students being built near the U. of I, which should increase the population. Yet, it doesn't seem to show in other new projects in Moscow.

I haven't been to Moscow for a long time. Did they tear down previous housing and this new housing is just to replace it, or is the university truly reflecting growth at the university?
I think enrollment has been dropping at UI lately. From the link below, you can see that the drop in enrollment is upsetting to some locals so it doesn't seem to be planned.

http://right-mind.us/blogs/blog_0/ar.../28/36929.aspx

Also, I don't know what the maximum amount of students UI could handle is, nor do I know how many students UI desires, but eleven to twelve thousand feels about right for the size of the town.

As for services, I would say Pullman relies on Moscow more than vice versa. Pullman has its own grocery stores, but Moscow has a stronger retail environment. Although the new developments I talked about above are actually in Washington, developers still appear to prefer to build closer to Moscow than Pullman.

Finally, I don't know what has caused the surge in apartment developments here. There are a lot of new rental properties in Pullman as well. From what I can see, a lot of the older student rental properties are/were pretty substandard in both towns and someone probably realized they could make some money with newer buildings. Being a renter myself, I know it was quite difficult to find a well-maintained rental outside of student apartment complexes in either town.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2008, 4:15 AM
Always running Late

those stats are a bit old though.. I know that boise state is well above 20,000 students now.. and I believe UI is around 12,000

Old Posted Jun 24, 2008, 5:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiseguy View Post
those stats are a bit old though.. I know that boise state is well above 20,000 students now.. and I believe UI is around 12,000
True. I hadn't really paid attention to the age. A quick search of the UI website listed the enrollment as 10,654 at the Moscow campus. Assuming that enrollment at the branch campuses is growing, (why else develop them?), then the enrollment in Moscow looks to be on the decline still.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2008, 3:06 PM

Welcome Ted Lyons!
It's good to have a forumer from the Palouse.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2008, 3:12 PM

Wine News!
Seems like our wine region is becoming rather popular in the industry.
I've read many reviews and judges all over the world rate Idaho wines as some of the best in the US. Watch out France, we are going to kick your butt!!!

http://www.idahostatesman.com/137/story/400803.html

Meet some of the Treasure Valley's female vintners

If wine is the nectar of the gods, then a group of extraordinary women making wine here in Idaho must be goddesses. They are passionate about their craft, hard-working and, in many cases, entrepreneurs who are striking out on their own. They are the divas of Treasure Valley winemaking.
Winemaking has traditionally been a male-dominated occupation. No more. Women increasingly are breaking into the industry, and the change could well be for the better. Scientists are beginning to find that women, in general, have a sharper sense of smell and a keener sense of taste. Since winemaking depends on smell and taste, women may have an advantage in determining what makes truly great wine.

Longtime local wine expert and Vin du Bois winery owner Ted Judd confirmed the increasing trend of female winemakers in Idaho. "It's also occurring in the wine industry in general," he said, noting that Oregon also has outstanding female winemakers.

Judd said that this phenomenon benefits the wine business. "The addition of new women winemakers is great for Idaho and the industry," he said. "They're bringing an incredible amount of experience, passion and skill with them."

Old Posted Jun 25, 2008, 4:04 PM
Honored Member

Talking Good Decision, Boiseguy

Boiseguy,

I'd just like to say thanks for starting this thread. It has been fun to read.

Also, thanks Ted (and welcome) and Cottonwood for the info about Moscow. I appreciate it.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2008, 5:57 PM

http://www.idahostatesman.com/newsup...ry/431457.html
Tom Hanks, Rita Wilson appeal Sun Valley home case to high court
KETCHUM — Actor Tom Hanks and his wife are taking their legal dispute with the builder of their multimillion dollar Sun Valley home to Idaho’s highest court.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2008, 2:12 PM
Honored Member

Post Getting More Celebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonwood View Post
http://www.idahostatesman.com/newsup...ry/431457.html
Tom Hanks, Rita Wilson appeal Sun Valley home case to high court
KETCHUM — Actor Tom Hanks and his wife are taking their legal dispute with the builder of their multimillion dollar Sun Valley home to Idaho’s highest court.

I saw this too. I don't know anything specific about it. Didn't even know Tom and Rita had a home in Idaho. It would be interesting to hear more from the builder and other locals involved.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2008, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2I.F. View Post

I saw this too. I don't know anything specific about it. Didn't even know Tom and Rita had a home in Idaho. It would be interesting to hear more from the builder and other locals involved.
I think you would be surprised who has homes in that area, but then it shouldn't be a surprise when you consider it is Sun Valley after all.
Tom Hanks.........bleh.........who needs him.....overrated.........maybe he will be so angry he will sell

Old Posted Jul 7, 2008, 11:35 PM

Interesting article about DT Twin Falls. I'm curious which three buildings they are talking about. Its been a while since I've been to DT Twin, but I recall at least 8 buildings which would qualify in my opinion, plus a couple neighborhoods that have the same type of street grid and architecture as northend Boise.

http://www.idahobusiness.net/archive...ith-old-values

Old Posted Jul 8, 2008, 11:24 PM
Honored Member

Thumbs up I'd Like to Know More From Idaho Residents, not Tinsle Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonwood View Post
I think you would be surprised who has homes in that area, but then it shouldn't be a surprise when you consider it is Sun Valley after all.
Tom Hanks.........bleh.........who needs him.....overrated.........maybe he will be so angry he will sell

I hope Tom Hanks does sell. Cottonwood, I probably would be surprised who all owns property there besides John Kerry, Demi and Ashner, Bruce Willis and the Gov. of Cal. etc. I don't want to see Sun Valley turn into Aspen, or LALA land north.

I was glad to see the ID judge rule against Hanks and his wife Rita Wilson. My point was the Hollywood types appear to be very challenging to the local construction workers. I'd just like to hear more from Idaho residents who know facts not spin. But, probably their attorneys won't let them say anything, which is understandable.

What makes me really angry is I'll bet it cost the builder a lot of money to have to defend the lawsuit. His talents/skills probably could have built homes wbere 100s of other couples/families would be perfectly happy living. Again, I was thrilled to see the Idaho judge rule against Hanks.

Maybe that will send a message to the Hollywood types that they can't buy everyone in Idaho.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2008, 3:37 PM

http://blogs.reuters.com/mediafile/2...in-sun-valley/

Look who’s advertising in Sun Valley

The Screen Actors Guild ran an ad in the local paper on Wednesday seeking better labor terms. We’re not talking about the L.A. Times here, but rather the Idaho Mountain Express, straight out of Sun Valley, Idaho, where Hollywood’s elite are bumping shoulders at the annual Allen & Co conference.

SAG was dealt a blow late Tuesday when another smaller Hollywood union ratified a new prime-time TV contract. SAG’s contract talks stalemated last week over some of the same issues that led to a 14-week screenwriters’ strike that paralyzed Hollywood and centered on disagreements over how union talent should be paid for work created for the Internet.

The American Federation of Television and Radio Artists won final approval despite an unusual all-out campaign by SAG to vote down the AFTRA accord. A “no” vote would have given SAG more leverage to negotiate a more favorable settlement with studios.

So why the ad in Idaho? Here’s what Screen Actors Guild National President and National Negotiating Committee Chair Alan Rosenberg said in a release:

This media conference is the place where significant deals get made. We wanted to remind the entertainment media leaders in attendance that there is another important deal to be made. Actors are the creative heart of the entertainment business, and our Screen Actors Guild members want to partner with our industry to invest in and share the rewards of our mutual digital future. Let’s keep talking and let’s make a fair deal.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2008, 12:07 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

More Sun Valley/Ketchum updates.

the soon to be new Sun Valley Center for the Arts.

and the website
http://www.sunvalleycenter.org/arts/...d=31&Itemid=53

Sun Valley Pavilion---i have some pics of this under construction in my photo thread.

and the website
http://svsummersymphony.org/

and a link to a virtual tour
http://www.sunvalley.com/SunValley/i...t.ent.sym.aspx
Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted Jul 24, 2008, 4:55 PM

nice virtual tour.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2008, 7:03 PM

If only the rest of us were as important as this hollwood product thinks he is

http://www.ktvb.com/news/localnews/s....8de3b024.html

Associated Press

KETCHUM -- A Blaine County judge has ruled he has no authority to stop guards employed by actor Tom Hanks from carrying guns while accompanying inspectors at the star's sprawling compound north of Ketchum.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 6:52 AM

Not huge news, but Shari's opened in Moscow. To my knowledge, it is the first 24-hour restaurant in town. Pullman has a 24-hour Denny's with a full bar (amazing, I know) but that's a bit out of the way when I want some breakfast late at night.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2008, 3:42 PM

http://www.idahobusiness.net/archive...ing-to-Gateway

Macy’s West today announced plans to open a new store in the fall of 2009 at Nampa Gateway Center, near the Garrity Boulevard interchange with Interstate 84. The existing Macy’s store at Karcher Mall in Nampa will close, and employees will transfer to the new store, the company said in a release.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2008, 9:43 PM

http://www.ktvb.com/news/localnews/s....3cec097a.html

BOISE -- The start of the school is just a few weeks away and this year the Boise School District is expecting to see a large increase in refugee students.

There is a new school that's aimed at helping those students learn English and adjust to the American way of life.

It used to be known as Jackson Elementary School, but it will soon be known as the Boise Language Academy.

According to the Boise School District, it's the first time the academy has had a place to call home.

For years the Boise School District has accepted refugee students. Normally they enroll around 50 students into the Boise Language Academy, but Grace Dalpiaz, an administrator for the school, says this year they've seen tremendous growth.

"This year we're actually starting close to 180 students at the beginning of this school year. We have 142 returning from last year," said Dalpiaz.

The Boise Language Academy is optional for refugee students. But it's highly recommended for those who have received less than two years of instruction in American classrooms.

"We provide the support they need with language and social culturalization and other aspects of American school they might not be familiar with," said Dalpiaz.

The school provides classes for grades 7th through 12th. Instead of using interpreters, Ann Farris who is in charge of the district's refugee program, says certified teachers use a more hands-on approach to helping students learn English through their curriculum.

"Because we have so many languages, they use instructional strategies called sheltered instruction. They teach the curriculum in English, but they use specific strategies such as more visuals," said Farris.

Dalpiaz says the language academy really does make a difference in the lives of foreign students - encouraging them to move forward in their studies.

"I have seen that over the years, just how much English they're able to learn within two years to give them that comfort to work in regular classrooms," said Dalpiaz.

Classes start on Aug. 25 and teachers are expected to report here in just a few days.

Even though they have a lot of work to do, administrators expect to have the academy ready to open by that date.

Boise School administrators expect to enroll almost 300 refugee students this year alone.

Ann Farris says the number of students will build throughout the year as more refugee families move to Boise.

Some of their biggest refugee groups come from Burma, Burundi and Nepal.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2008, 8:17 PM

http://www.idahostatesman.com/newsup...ry/487619.html

Boise State research breakthrough may be 'magic bullet' for cancer treatment

Boise State researchers have made a breakthrough in cancer treatment that may provide the “magic bullet” for the debilitating effects of chemotherapy.
The interdisciplinary group of researchers applied emerging nanotechnology techniques to traditional cancer research to come up with a highly effective method for the preferential killing of cancer cells while leaving ordinary cells healthy. This nanobiotechnology group is led by Boise State physics professor Alex Punnoose with strong contributions from biology professors Denise Wingett and Kevin Feris.

“One of the greatest challenges preventing advances in new therapeutic options for treating cancer is the inability of anticancer drugs to effectively differentiate between cancerous and normal healthy body cells,” said Wingett, a cancer researcher. “Many commonly used chemotherapeutic drugs target rapidly dividing cells but suffer from a relatively low therapeutic index, which is the ratio of toxic dose to effective dose.”

..............the rest at the link.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2008, 2:50 PM

More news of Boise's progression into an artistic hub....

http://www.nytimes.com/pages/arts/dance/index.html

But then, nothing is more than a short drive in Boise, including the staggeringly beautiful desert and mountain wilderness surrounding it. From the window of a descending airplane, it seems impossible that there will be enough flat terrain to accommodate a landing strip, until the Boise River opens from a narrow gorge to a level, verdant valley. The air is clear and dry. Sunsets are an event, sometimes the biggest event in town.

Mr. McIntyre was attracted by the sense of remoteness and by the idea that his company of 10 dancers, who agreed to move here along with four members of the production staff, could create their own world to a degree that would be impossible in dance-packed cities like New York and San Francisco.

http://www.idahostatesman.com/localn...ry/502624.html

The Trey McIntyre Project, Boise's newest dance company, is attracting attention in the dance world and beyond, not only for its innovative choreographer and talented dancers, but also for artistic director McIntyre's choice of Boise as a home base.

In advance of the company's Boise premiere Sept. 20, the New York Times sent reporter Claudia La Rocco to Boise for a few days to hang out with the company and investigate the question that most people who know McIntyre's work and reputation ask: Why Boise?

La Rocco discovered what most people in the arts here already know: Boise is a thriving, growing community with an arts-savvy audience to draw.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West