HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
Awesome news!
I found this part interesting. Is anyone familiar with the online tool they are using?

Quote:
Developers promised an extensive community engagement process that will include traditional meetings with community groups and an interactive website where people can submit feedback.

The website, which will launch in October, will feature an interactive map where people can click on each property to leave comments on individual parts of the project. It will also provide a record of documents, commentary, timelines and other information on the project.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 4:41 PM
1st Ward

Very interesting! We should all swarm that interactive site once its up and demand more height/density to counteract all the crying NIMBY's

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorhosj1 View Post
I found this part interesting. Is anyone familiar with the online tool they are using?
It will probably be similar to the one that's used for the North LSD reconstruction. If so, multiple people can spam YIMBY or NIMBY comments to drown out the other side

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 6:07 PM
TL;DR

Very puzzling choice - Adjaye is not necessarily known for luxury developments. In fact, his neo-Brutalist style is likely to rub many aging Old Town types the wrong way given the neighborhood's cultural history in opposition to Modernist architecture and planning. In other parts of town you might get some support from the woke types for hiring a Black architect, but I think Lincoln Parkers won't care.

If this was Michele Smith's ward, forget about it... it's actually in Brian Hopkins' ward, so he may support developments here but his ward is also the most ridiculously gerrymandered in the city so I'd expect the boundaries to shift in the new remap.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2021, 2:25 PM

Oh wow, this is much more extensive than I would have thought. This has transformative potential, so I'm glad the developers are thinking big.

I would love if this acted as a connector between old town and the park. It's not the most inviting pedestrian experience at the moment. A big part of that is the busy and complex intersections (which aren't going to change), but parking lots and gas stations are not the most fun to walk by either.

There's also an opportunity to make the entry from LSD into a signature view. Moody Church is gorgeous, but having it surrounded by 2 gas stations and a parking lot dampens the appeal a bit. If the new developments are designed to respect and feature it, it could be really cool.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2021, 11:09 PM

^I certainly wouldn't call Adjaye's work, as a whole, 'neo-brutalist'.... it's certainly contemporary, but I think his work deserves a more respective and sensitive descriptor...

as far as Old Town is concerned, my old neighborhood by the way, I predict there will be little if any opposition to whatever is proposed... arguably, none of these sites are any where near the heart of the residential Old Town neighborhood and are no where near the solid residential areas that the preservationists or community activists are most concerned about...

furthermore, I think you are mistaking the vocal minority in OT as being synonymous with preservationists that abhor contemporary architecture... nothing could be farther from the truth... Old Town was arguably the birthplace of postmodern architecture in this city... the birthplace of the 'Chicago 7'... Stanley Tigerman, Larry Booth, Stuart Cohen, Ben Weese, James Ingo Freed, Tom Beeby and James Nagle...

Old Posted Oct 2, 2021, 5:23 PM

Platform 4611 (Broadway & Wilson) got construction permits for 200 units

https://www.uptownupdate.com/2021/02/and-it-begins.html

Old Posted Oct 4, 2021, 4:23 PM

I thought the boutique building on Randolph and Jefferson looked good, with the cladding going up.

https://www.skender.com/news-media-i...est-loop-gate/

Old Posted Oct 4, 2021, 10:26 PM
Chicago

Three Four Five - 345 North Morgan

September 28, 2021

Old Posted Oct 4, 2021, 10:26 PM
Chicago

Chicago Guinness Taproom - 375 N Morgan

September 28, 2021

Old Posted Oct 5, 2021, 2:49 AM

They sure didn't waste any time

Old Posted Oct 5, 2021, 3:48 PM

Woah I had no idea the Guinness thing was imminent, I must have missed that. Does that work include prep for the neighboring high rise or is that a separate thing?

Old Posted Oct 5, 2021, 3:50 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
Woah I had no idea the Guinness thing was imminent, I must have missed that. Does that work include prep for the neighboring high rise or is that a separate thing?
Imminent, yes, but they are shooting for a March 2023 opening so.........

They probably aren't in a huge rush due to ongoing COVID issues, and are probably wagering that "normal" will REALLY mean "normal" by Spring 2023

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Oct 5, 2021, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Imminent, yes, but they are shooting for a March 2023 opening so.........

They probably aren't in a huge rush due to ongoing COVID issues, and are probably wagering that "normal" will REALLY mean "normal" by Spring 2023
Ah that makes more sense

Old Posted Oct 5, 2021, 11:28 PM

Museum of Ice Cream is opening its fourth permanent location on Mich Ave. Kinda lame but probably the right direction for the neighborhood given the state of retail.

https://chicago.eater.com/2021/10/5/...ZqKvuhis___tjM

Old Posted Oct 6, 2021, 3:13 AM
1st Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjp View Post
Museum of Ice Cream is opening its fourth permanent location on Mich Ave. Kinda lame but probably the right direction for the neighborhood given the state of retail.

https://chicago.eater.com/2021/10/5/...ZqKvuhis___tjM
Yep, this is the kind of Instagramable experience that excites people and brings in tourist dollars. We need more of this to fill in the gaps from the exiting retail.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2021, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
Yep, this is the kind of Instagramable experience that excites people and brings in tourist dollars. We need more of this to fill in the gaps from the exiting retail.
It's actually true. I have passed the one in NYC plenty of times to massive lines. It is mainly a tourist trap but it definitely gets hype and adds to why some tourists want to visit a city.

As much as we can point to restaurants and whatever, the majority of tourists want to visit some gimmicky fun museum, the bean, Navy Pier, etc instead.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2021, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
this is targeted to families

and people with children spend a lot of $$$$

Old Posted Oct 6, 2021, 2:17 PM
The City

I will bring my kids there. It's inevitable

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Oct 6, 2021, 2:17 PM

hem house

article: https://www.wallpaper.com/architectu...rm-chicago-usa

listing: https://www.redfin.com/IL/Chicago/28...home/147713319

I'm curious for those in the know, what really drives market rate affordability here other than the cost of land? Do the building methods and materials employed on this house really drive the cost down that much? I would assume no basement construction saves a good deal...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development