HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
Of course; I am sure there are multiple options. Looking on the bright side, to some handicapped, the trip down would be a dream! They'd feel like they were racing at Monaco.
wow

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Of course; I am sure there are multiple options. Looking on the bright side, to some handicapped, the trip down would be a dream! They'd feel like they were racing at Monaco.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 5:31 PM

I think these two buildings are rather nice and will compliment the 900-1000ft corner tower nicely making it like a bookend. That has sort of been one of Chicago's trademarks with Sears on one end and JH on the other(don't really care what they call them now officially) Any skyline argument between NYC and Chicago gets trumped by the more balanced look of Chicago compared to NYC partly due to the big black bookends

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1 Tommy View Post
I think these two buildings are rather nice and will compliment the 900-1000ft corner tower nicely making it like a bookend. That has sort of been one of Chicago's trademarks with Sears on one end and JH on the other(don't really care what they call them now officially) Any skyline argument between NYC and Chicago gets trumped by the more balanced look of Chicago compared to NYC partly due to the big black bookends
That's definitely one of the reasons I like how the skyline isn't totally filled to the brim with supertalls. The space between the buildings lets them breathe and creates wonderful peaks and valleys. If everything was tall, I just don't think it would look (as) good. If all the supertalls for the river confluence are built though, it'll be interesting to see, since we have never had supertalls clustered like that before. There will only be a handful of blocks separating Trump, Aon, Pru2, Vista, Site I, 400n LSD, Tribune 2 and potentially whatever takes up the NBC lots. Hopefully it turns out more like Shanghai and less like Dubai

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 6:38 PM
BANNED

The thing I keep coming back to is how messy the stretch of buildings on Wacker, from Vista to Parcel I, look.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 6:51 PM

^messy? I'm not seeing anything messy.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 9:32 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhawk66 View Post
wow

Ummm. Yeah. Not sure that's how many would see it.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 12:39 AM
DENNAB

My gosh I hope that view is real someday (like that those towers actually happen in real life instead of being visionary)

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 2:53 AM

Aug 23

Aug 27

#TallShipWindy

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 3:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
From above

Roundup

Wow the site is really buzzing! Anyone know what the big hole is in the foreground? Swimming pool?

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 3:26 PM
The City

^ It gets hot in the midday and the workers sometimes need to take an afternoon swim to cool off

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 4:22 PM

^Don't tease us! Daddy needs a new terracotta skyscraper (or two!)

Old Posted Sep 1, 2019, 5:54 PM

Old Posted Sep 1, 2019, 6:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozy View Post
Dats a big job site.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2019, 6:34 PM

^ Right!!

With cars flying across LSD in the background, this site is so beautifully complex.

Very excited to see where the tower cranes pop up

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 3:43 AM

Given that it's all one organization, wouldn't it make the most sense to put in all the caissons for Site I at the same time as these? What's the setup/teardown cost versus the incremental labor cost? And won't setup/teardown be harder with a smaller footprint next time?

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 4:41 AM

Quote:
Wow the site is really buzzing! Anyone know what the big hole is in the foreground? Swimming pool?

This site is the Related, or former Spire site correct, and not the Cirrus and Cascade site at LSE?

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 1:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysoar View Post
This site is the Related, or former Spire site correct, and not the Cirrus and Cascade site at LSE?
Correct - and 400 is still a nice open space with natural fauna.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 1:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron38 View Post
Given that it's all one organization, wouldn't it make the most sense to put in all the caissons for Site I at the same time as these? What's the setup/teardown cost versus the incremental labor cost? And won't setup/teardown be harder with a smaller footprint next time?
They probably would see some cost savings to do them at the same time, both in saved mobilization and rising costs of future construction. But in order to do them at the same time, they would need to have the site I design and drawings completed to the point that they can fully develop and permit the foundation, they would need to be certain that future market forces or other factors would not significantly change the design of Site I to be able to use the same foundation, and related to that be certain enough that construction om Site I will happen soon enough and still under Related ownership to make early foundation construction make sense. So it's weighing cost savings against potential risk.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 5:32 PM
BANNED

^This brings us back to the recent post I made in Site I thread. On 8/16, Tom Kerwin posted a photo celebrating the groundbreaking of all these sites including site I. I doubt he made a gaffe. The Architect likely knows something we don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysoar View Post
Yep, I was just yanking your chain.

Last edited by Skyguy_7; Sep 3, 2019 at 5:47 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive