HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Good find Budyser. Hall's Creek Village has updated their website again and now we have an even better idea what the street layout will look like.

I appreciate the layout of village one, and although it will connect up to village two and village three, it appears that the only way to get to village four and village five as well as on to Mapleton Road will be by the Crowley Farm Road. I think this is regrettable. I think there should be better interconnectivity between the different nodes of this development. The lack of direct connections will be a hindrance to pedestrian traffic (unless there are interconnecting walkways and bicycle paths). There likely will be (I can't imagine they would overlook this), but it would be nice to see confirmation on the site plan.

What do other people think?
Well those are some very interesting renderings. I wonder to what extent they actually represent what they plan on building, that first 6-story building seems pretty large and I don't see anything on the plan that would approximate it. Unless that's what they have in mind for the future "villages".

I'm pretty confidant this would be popular once it gets started, it's the kind of development that is unlike anything else in the area (or the province for that mater). This has been talked about for years, not sure if the hold-up is related to the developer's financial issues or a reluctance to move forward with something different. I think the same could be said about Uptown Dieppe which stalled for a few years. Yes, the recession played a big role in Uptown Dieppe's slow start, but still, during this time, several other neighborhoods in the CMA have exploded population-wise. People need to be given a different option, something other than cookie-cutter suburbia. Something along the lines as what has been proposed, higher density, commercial/work/schools, places to actually walk to. As for Uptown; 1 or 2 buildings on an otherwise barren street hardly constitutes an alternative to other typical suburban neighborhoods in the metro area.

Come on Hall's Creek developments, stop this yearly, ritualistic relaunch of your website and get going already!!

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNYer View Post
Well those are some very interesting renderings. I wonder to what extent they actually represent what they plan on building, that first 6-story building seems pretty large and I don't see anything on the plan that would approximate it. Unless that's what they have in mind for the future "villages".

I'm pretty confidant this would be popular once it gets started, it's the kind of development that is unlike anything else in the area (or the province for that mater). This has been talked about for years, not sure if the hold-up is related to the developer's financial issues or a reluctance to move forward with something different. I think the same could be said about Uptown Dieppe which stalled for a few years. Yes, the recession played a big role in Uptown Dieppe's slow start, but still, during this time, several other neighborhoods in the CMA have exploded population-wise. People need to be given a different option, something other than cookie-cutter suburbia. Something along the lines as what has been proposed, higher density, commercial/work/schools, places to actually walk to. As for Uptown; 1 or 2 buildings on an otherwise barren street hardly constitutes an alternative to other typical suburban neighborhoods in the metro area.

Come on Hall's Creek developments, stop this yearly, ritualistic relaunch of your website and get going already!!
I'm really looking forward to see if this development will live up to my expectations. We bought a semi-detached in north Moncton six years ago and for the last few years my wife and I have been tossing around the idea of building a house. The problem is, we don't want to build in a cookie cutter subdivision. We would really like to have something that is a little more modern looking and ideally centrally located. We considered buying an older home in the Victoria Park or Jones Lake area and doing a complete modern rebuild, but we still don't know if want kids or not which plays a big part in our decision.

It's likely going to take two to three years until this is well underway and before we can a feel for for the neighborhood. I guess we'll have to stay put for now.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2012, 1:04 PM

Quote:
I wonder what the current status is for the proposed McLaughlin Plaza on the corner of McLaughlin Drive and Morton Avenue?
I hear that the house on that corner was finally torn down. Could something be starting?

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 12:59 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

This is an initial architectural rendering for the new Moncton High School (aka Royal Hoax High or Boondocks High), to be built off of Elmwood Drive, near the city limits to the north of the Royal Oaks golf course and subdivision.

This looks as if it will be a very nice building, it's just being built in the wrong, WRONG, WRONG location!

The building will be 184,000 sq ft (slightly larger than the current MHS) and will have an enrollment of 1,250 students.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 2:36 PM

Quote:
This is an initial architectural rendering for the new Moncton High School (aka Royal Hoax High or Boondocks High), to be built off of Elmwood Drive, near the city limits to the north of the Royal Oaks golf course and subdivision.

This looks as if it will be a very nice building, it's just being built in the wrong, WRONG, WRONG location!

The building will be 184,000 sq ft (slightly larger than the current MHS) and will have an enrollment of 1,250 students.
I chuckle each time I here Royal Hoax. It's so true!

That new school would fit so nicely at the old DND land off John St.

Bing.com - maps

Old Posted Jun 8, 2012, 2:53 PM

In other Royal Hoax news....Not sure where this list of "considered sites" is located.

Considered sites for new Moncton High School revealed
Allan Dearing - News staff Jun 08, 2012 06:01:00 AM
http://www.news919.com/news/local/ar...chool-revealed

MONCTON, NB - After much debate and pressure from the public, Infrastructure Minister Claude Williams revealed half of the sites they considered as possible locations for the new high school.

Aside from the chosen Royal Oaks site and the current Mountain Road location, officials looked at properties in areas like Killam Drive, Harisville Boulevard, West-Main Street and the Shediac Road.

Infrastructure Minister Claude Williams says of the 20 sites they looked at, he still feels they made the best choice.

The cost of the new school is estimated at 48 million dollars but Moncton East Liberal MLA Chris Collins says the true price tag will be much more...

"That doesn't include the 25 million dollars in incremental infrastructure that will be needed on Elmwood Drive over the next 20 years to service the school properly." says Collins.

Half of the landowners whose properties were considered for a new school have chosen not to have that information released, which is their right under the Privacy Act.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2012, 2:44 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

They have updated the sign in front of the Fairfield Inn & Suites site at the Harrisville/Dieppe Blvd-Highway 15 interchange. It now lists an opening date of "Winter 2013".

Old Posted Jul 12, 2012, 7:34 PM
Our Tide is Rising

Another apartment building has started up on Lewisvelle Rd...wood in nature...looks as though it will be a 4 story type...similar in size to the new one on Vaughn Harvey (Flanders Ct).

The former mattress store on Lewisville rd (had a blue flashing light on it) has become "Fric to Chic" clothing store...I dont know what that means but it sounds Chaic to me haha.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2012, 1:13 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

New walking trail set
Friday, July 13, 2012
Times & Transcriptt

Camelot Estates residents can look forward to a neighbourhood connection to the Humphreys Brook Trail next year.

The City of Moncton Parks and Leisure Services unveiled its plans for a new walking trail that will link Shediac Road and the Camelot Estates Subdivision to the Humphreys Brook Trail at a public consultation meeting held on Wednesday night.

The trail will follow the power line corridor between Gagnon Drive and Glengrove Road, which runs perpendicular to Shediac Road. It will cut through the forested land that currently separates the community and the Humphreys Brook Trail; a distance of exactly one kilometre. The trail's construction will begin in a few months, said project co-ordinator Michelle McAloon.

read more:
http://22864.vws.magma.ca/index.php?&article_id=9355

Old Posted Jul 17, 2012, 2:17 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

I was watching Moncton City Council this evening (yes, I know that I have no life).

Of interest is the future direction of development in the Harrisville Blvd area. Council voted to make Marriot Street a limited access road. Marriot is where the new Fairfield Inn and Suites will be built. Council alluded to the fact that there will be a second lot developed on this street. This lot will contain a combination gas bar/service station and restaurant.

It was a little difficult to follow the presentation at times, but council confirmed that the province is planning on redesigning the entire Harrisville Blvd/Rte 15 interchange, possilbly into the parclo that Myles alluded to earlier. I believe that Marriot St will be one of the access points onto the new interchange.

In general discussions at council, it was mentioned in passing that significant commercial development is to be expected on Harrisville between Rte 15 and the Shediac Rd in the future. We already know that PlazaCorp owns a large swath of land on the NE corner of the Harrisville/Rte 15 interchange. This is rumoured to include (amongst other things), a new Sobeys store.

Finally council is looking at rezoning the east side of Harrisville, just south of the CN.main line for a proposed suburban commercial development.

It would appear that Harrisville will look significantly different in five years time........

Old Posted Aug 23, 2012, 6:50 PM
Our Tide is Rising

Something is afoot on the new Marriott hotel site on Harrisville blvd...hopefully this means they will hit their new target of a winter 2013 opening!

Old Posted Sep 7, 2012, 4:19 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

from today's T&T
http://22864.vws.magma.ca/index.php?&article_id=9787

Construction to begin on Marriott Drive
Friday, September 07, 2012
Times & Transcript

New street off of Harrisville Boulevard crosses natural gas infrastructure

Moncton city council has approved a crossing consent agreement between the city and Maritimes & Northeast Pipeline for the construction of Marriott Drive, set to begin as soon as possible.

The street's name and location was approved by council in June, after the land developer, Marriott Hotels, applied for its construction with the Greater Moncton Planning District Commission. Marriott Drive will lead to the Fairfield Marriott Inn and Suites, currently under construction and opening sometime next year.

The development of the street and related services requires crossing several existing easements and underground infrastructure, owned and operated by Enbridge Gas and Maritimes & Northeast Pipeline.

This location is the entry point for natural gas into Metro Moncton.

The pipeline follows Highway 15, goes across the off ramp, then crosses Harrisville Boulevard, the developer's property, and eventually goes into a transfer station, where it's turned over to Enbridge for local distribution.

The city, as the owner and operator of the street, needed to enter a crossing consent agreement to ensure that their easement is not disturbed during construction and future maintenance of Marriott Drive.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2012, 7:56 PM

Quote:
This is the most current proposed layout for "village one"

I just did a quick drive on Leopold F Belliveau St and continued onto the new dirt road. Things are definitely happening in Village One. The layout looks very similar to this rendering. I could even make out the crescent shaped street through the trees. The fire hydrants are already in place and I followed the main street until I hit the dead end in the bottom left of that picture, leading into the future Village Two. There's no signs but a friend in Real Estate said the lots are currently being bought up. I had no idea they had even started!

Old Posted Oct 16, 2012, 1:12 AM

Looks like things are moving along in the "vision lands". New photos from the hallscreek.ca website

Lots of tall mature trees in the area, should look nice if they manage to keep some.

source

Old Posted Oct 16, 2012, 12:10 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Thanks. That's a nice looking woodlot. I wonder how many trees they are planning on preserving?

Old Posted Oct 16, 2012, 7:31 PM

Quote:

Thanks. That's a nice looking woodlot. I wonder how many trees they are planning on preserving?
Agreed...hopefully as many as possible...unlike the majority of developments.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2012, 1:46 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

This is a rezoning request lifted from the GMPDC website:

It is for a "retail store and building supply outlet with an associated commercial development". The location is on the east side of Harrisville Blvd, north of the Veterans Highway interchange. I wonder if this would be where the new Rona is going, rather than the Mapleton Centre.

I think this is also north of the lands already owned by PlazaCorp that is rumoured to be the future home of a retail plaza anchored by a Sobeys.

With all this going on, and with the new Fairfield Inn (and a rumoured restaurant and gas station) going up on the other side of Harrisville Blvd next to Adesa, the city and province had better widen Harrisville and upgrade the Veterans Highway interchange pretty darn quickly!

Old Posted Nov 9, 2012, 3:04 AM

Quote:

With all this going on, and with the new Fairfield Inn (and a rumoured restaurant and gas station) going up on the other side of Harrisville Blvd next to Adesa...
Is this rumor of a restaurant and gas station part of the Fairfield development?

Quote:
...the city and province had better widen Harrisville and upgrade the Veterans Highway interchange pretty darn quickly!
That area already can get severely backed up at rush hour.

Is that still in the works? Or has it been shelved like other highway projects in NB? The ways things are moving, it'll be another decade before the airport gets its interchange.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2012, 3:30 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Is this rumor of a restaurant and gas station part of the Fairfield development?
There was some mention of this at a city council meeting several months back. I don't know if this is part of the Fairfield Inn development or just adjacent to it. In any event, the restaurant/gas station is supposed to be on Marriott Drive.

Quote:
That area already can get severely backed up at rush hour.

Is that still in the works? Or has it been shelved like other highway projects in NB? The ways things are moving, it'll be another decade before the airport gets its interchange.
I think you will see the Harrisville interchange upgraded before the new interchange for the airport. I have no information regarding whether this is a high priority item or not.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2012, 3:43 AM

Quote:

I think you will see the Harrisville interchange upgraded before the new interchange for the airport. I have no information regarding whether this is a high priority item or not.
Yes, I also think that that interchange is higher on the list of priorities than the airport. That's why I said it'll be a very long time before the airport interchange is done. There's a lot of work to be done in that area. Both of those interchanges badly need to be upgraded, the highway itself should be resurfaced to correct severe rutting. Also, there really should be lighting along that stretch of highway 15.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces