HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jul 23, 2016, 2:20 AM

I see the tower crane is arriving for the condo project. Gonna be awesome to finally see one in person

Old Posted Jul 23, 2016, 2:30 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbujold View Post
I see Mary Brown is advertising for a Manager for a Dieppe location. I suppose someone bought the franshise and is taking over the previous MB location .

http://ca.indeed.com/cmp/Mary-Brown'...+Store+Manager .
Good to hear that Mary Brown's in Dieppe will reopen. I always thought it odd that they didn't take the sign down when the first franchisee went out of business. This must have been their plan all along.

With the apparent large footprint for the Sky Zone Trampoline Park, this means that the current iteration of Champlain Plaza Phase Two will be completely full (save for a small space in the front pad where Goji's and Pita Pit is located). I wonder if this means they will start construction on the final part of phase two (marked "future development"; units 11 & 12 in the site plan below).

Old Posted Jul 25, 2016, 11:58 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

They are now erecting the tower crane for Horizon Place in Dieppe.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2016, 12:11 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

A few pictures from around downtown Dieppe from this evening:

They seem to be uncrating downtown Dieppe all at once. To the left, you can see the crane being used to assemble the Wingate Hotel. At the centre, you can see the nearly complete Champlain Dental Building on the corner of du Marche and Champlain. To the right, you can see the partially complete VimSoft Building at 50 du Marche.

Close up of the Champlain Dental Building. There is a high end women's fashion store moving in on the ground floor. I like the name - Maddie & Sofia; it sounds quite sophisticated.

This photo shows something extremely rare in New Brunswick - not one, but two cranes captured on a single image! The Wingate Hotel crane is in the foreground. The Horizon Place crane is being assembled in the background.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2016, 1:00 AM
Our Tide is Rising

Great pics

I wonder if we could have a combined thread for 55 queen and horizon place? Neither of them seem to be quite at the level of successful solo thread...but combined maybe? No precedent for that and also 2 different cities though...

Its amazing to me that some projects like 55 queen are talked about and hyped for ages and are not actually started yet...and then horizon place comes totally out of left field and has a crane up in months hahaha

Old Posted Jul 26, 2016, 3:00 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmatt View Post
I wonder if we could have a combined thread for 55 queen and horizon place? Neither of them seem to be quite at the level of successful solo thread...but combined maybe? No precedent for that and also 2 different cities though...
I wouldn't combine the two projects into a single thread. As you said, not only is it two different neighbourhoods, it's two different cities! I don't think it would work.

Horizon Place doesn't need it's own thread. It's a large but fairly generic apartment complex. FiveFive Queen on the other hand is a unique and potentially defining project for the east end of downtown Moncton. It's architectural styling will generate discussion, as well as it's significance to the surrounding neighbourhood. Even then, the need for a FiveFive Queen thread is borderline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmatt View Post
It's amazing to me that some projects like 55 queen are talked about and hyped for ages and are not actually started yet...and then horizon place comes totally out of left field and has a crane up in months hahaha
I'm sure the main issue is financing. FiveFive Queen is a condo project and needed to be heavily pre sold before construction could begin. Because condo sales were sluggish (Moncton still isn't a condo market), the project stalled. It was only after the project was modified to include a boutique hotel and a Gahan House restaurant that there was sufficient financing to proceed. Horizon Place on the other hand is an apartment building, not a condo project, and Sira (the developer) is one of the largest (if not the largest) rental property owners in the city. Financing wouldn't have been nearly as much of an issue.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2016, 3:49 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The tower crane for Horizon Place is now completely erected.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2016, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
The tower crane for Horizon Place is now completely erected.

I had noticed they had all, or should say most of the parts there yesterday afternoon. Is a positive thing that they have the crane up means construction is imminent.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2016, 9:43 PM
Moderator / Supervillain

I hope something is done with the lot in between the two new office buildings on du Marché. There probably isn't need for it yet, but it would make a good spot for a parking structure to serve downtown Dieppe.

With all the construction going on, it's certainly going to look very different in a few year's time.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2016, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesmalley View Post
I hope something is done with the lot in between the two new office buildings on du Marché. There probably isn't need for it yet, but it would make a good spot for a parking structure to serve downtown Dieppe.

With all the construction going on, it's certainly going to look very different in a few year's time.
Last I've heard there are plans to have the entire area developed. What is stopping development currently is the owners of the land. If the owners aren't wanting development to happen, or are not in such a hurry to develop there land.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2016, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
Last I've heard there are plans to have the entire area developed. What is stopping development currently is the owners of the land. If the owners aren't wanting development to happen, or are not in such a hurry to develop there land.

I was under the impression that the land between those two buildings belonged to the city. According to this, that land is public parking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_5 View Post
I found this image on the city's twitter account.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2016, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNYer View Post
I was under the impression that the land between those two buildings belonged to the city. According to this, that land is public parking.
It is, and isn't at the same time the City of Dieppe does own some of that land (Not all of it) Since there is a hotel planned for the North-East corner of Gauvin, and Du Marche, and the outdoor ice rink for the north west corner. the 2 plots on either side of 200 Champlain might be public parking but the city has it listed for sale to be developed. It will be a massive undertaking but the Dieppe city council really seem to be pushing for downtown Dieppe to really look like a downtown, and not like a bunch of parking lots. What that will mean for parking in the future will just have to wait, and see.

Note: I do hope that the city will build a parking structure in that area if all the parking turns to commercial with offices, and apartment buildings.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2016, 11:19 PM
Our Tide is Rising

Quote:
I wouldn't combine the two projects into a single thread. As you said, not only is it two different neighbourhoods, it's two different cities! I don't think it would work.

Horizon Place doesn't need it's own thread. It's a large but fairly generic apartment complex. FiveFive Queen on the other hand is a unique and potentially defining project for the east end of downtown Moncton. It's architectural styling will generate discussion, as well as it's significance to the surrounding neighbourhood. Even then, the need for a FiveFive Queen thread is borderline.

I'm sure the main issue is financing. FiveFive Queen is a condo project and needed to be heavily pre sold before construction could begin. Because condo sales were sluggish (Moncton still isn't a condo market), the project stalled. It was only after the project was modified to include a boutique hotel and a Gahan House restaurant that there was sufficient financing to proceed. Horizon Place on the other hand is an apartment building, not a condo project, and Sira (the developer) is one of the largest (if not the largest) rental property owners in the city. Financing wouldn't have been nearly as much of an issue.
Ah yes good points, the apartment vs condo argument makes total sense, however it still came out of left field for sure!

I really hope some of the nice infill projects along St George and Assomption get more traction soon as well...would be nice to see a new tower crane or two in downtown Moncton next summer

Old Posted Jul 28, 2016, 4:46 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Downtown continues to boom.

Apparently work has begun on the new Swiss Chalet/Harvey's combo location on the SE corner of Champlain & Paul (old Chan's House location).

Old Posted Jul 28, 2016, 6:09 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Good to hear that Mary Brown's in Dieppe will reopen. I always thought it odd that they didn't take the sign down when the first franchisee went out of business. This must have been their plan all along.

With the apparent large footprint for the Sky Zone Trampoline Park, this means that the current iteration of Champlain Plaza Phase Two will be completely full (save for a small space in the front pad where Goji's and Pita Pit is located). I wonder if this means they will start construction on the final part of phase two (marked "future development"; units 11 & 12 in the site plan below).

And apparently Supplement King will be opening a second location in the vacant space between Goji's and Pita Pit (unit 10a). As such, the current iteration of Champlain Plaza (phase two) will now be full.........

Old Posted Jul 28, 2016, 8:08 PM

I posted about supplement king 2 days ago but I guess nobody pays attention

Old Posted Jul 28, 2016, 9:45 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerTom View Post
I posted about supplement king 2 days ago but I guess nobody pays attention
Sorry FarmerTom, I saw your post in the retail thread, but then it was announced in the T&T today, and I decided to repost it here (in the context of the previous post on this page concerning Champlain Plaza phase two).

- Since there are multiple threads for greater Moncton, it's not uncommon for chatter concerning a single project to show up in more than one thread.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2016, 2:24 AM

No worries. Only reason I didn't post here because it was said about putting all the gma retail stuff in the onecthread

Old Posted Jul 31, 2016, 3:25 PM

Surprising closure to me. No warning or anything. Owner came in and asked customers to leave as soon as possible. Managers and employees were all let go. Sounds like more to this story than being told. Anyone with any other information about this??

Old Posted Aug 1, 2016, 3:33 PM

An employee posted on FB more details on what happened.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
Quote:
ll the employees came in for their regular friday night shift, and around 8 o'clock the owner that we NEVER see, came in, told our customers to leave as soon as possible and told the manager who also just lost her job and had no idea what was going to happend that the restaurant was closing immediately. The manager then had the responsibility to tell every staff member that they no longer had a job and had to leave right away so the owner could empty the place.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces